CAP 29 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP 1/3

Leorex

Leo meaning Lion, Rex meaning King. Reference to a movie with the most famous drawn lion and a famous time in hand drawn animation.

Pronounced: "LIY-ow-reks"

WIP 2/3

Tarigidi

In Greek; Liontari (λιοντάρι) meaning Lion, Gída (γίδα) meaning Goat, Fídi (φίδι) meaning Snake. Chimeras are made of all three and are Greek.

Pronounced: "Dah-Ree-Yee-Thee"
Pronounced [IPA]: "da.ɾiʝ‿ði"

WIP 3/3

Acepentroy

Acetone + Turpentine + Destroy + Troy. Paint thinners, Chimera's are know for their destruction, Troy is a famous Greek city.

Pronounced: "A-Suh-Puhn-Troi"
Pronounced [IPA]: "æ.səpəntɹɔɪ"

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Lionart

A combination of “Lionheart” + “Art”

Pronounced: “LIE-en-ART”
IPA: /ˈlaɪ ənˌɑrt/

Galar is based on UK. Lion is national animal of England. Richard the Lionheart exists. Heart rhymes with art. Easy peasy.

blah I was beaten to this one lmao

WIP

Painticore

A combination of “Paint” + “Manticore”

Pronounced: “PAINT-i-core”
IPA: /ˈpeɪn tɪˌkɔr/

WIP

Ombreleo

A combination of “Ombre” + "Leo" that is suggestive of "Imbroglio"

Pronounced: “ahm-BRAILLE-eo”
IPA: /ɒmˈbreɪl yoʊ/

Ombre is the blending of one color into another, leo for lion, and imbroglio refers to confusing/complicated situations, such as a Pokemon that's constantly changing types.

Last edited:
WIP

Stygiangelo

Stygian(referring to the River Styx, the famous moat of the Underworld, River of Death)+Michaelangelo (art guy)

Pronounced “Sti-gee-an-jel-oh” (I will look up the actual right way to do this later lol)

WIP

Mantiroque

Manticore + Baroque

I wanted to reference manticore and some art style related to CAP 29 but couldn't make them work with manticore so I went with Baroque, a painting style that is all about THE DRAMA and it's kind of related to CAP 29 dark-type since in baroque paintings it was common to use a contrast between lights and shadows (chiaroscuro) to emphasize certain subjects in the composition and to enhance the dramatic effect.

Pronounced: ˈman(t)iˌrōk

Last edited:
WIP

Pasteleon

Pastel + Leo/Lion

Coloregal

Color + Regal

Karnivas

Carnivore + Canvas (spelled with a K to make it look more powerful)

Last edited:

ILSB

formerly IloveScaldBurns
WIP

Chromatum

Is a combination of Chroma and Atum, name of Solar God of Egyptian mythology.

Pronunciation: Crom-atum

Last edited:

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
WIP

Loil

From "Loyal" + "Oil"

Pronounced: "LOYL"

This is a loyal lion, and an oil painting at the same time.

Last edited:
WIP (3/3)

Kuraion

Kurai (Dark, くらい)+ Raion (Lion, ライオン), Sounds like Crayon

Pronounced: koo-RAI-uhn

Same as before, but with a better sounding name. Kuraion (クライオン) sounds like a great name that works in both English and Japanese, much like the vast majority of legendaries and all mythics.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
WIP #2

Squarengeti

A combination of Square (Cubist artwork) + Serengeti (famous homeland of Lions).

Pronounced: skwAIR-en-GEH-tee

WIP

Chemicera

Chemical + Chimera (look it up, idk how to explain it)

Pronounced: kem-ə-kir-uh

The only reason why my thoughts hit chimera was that lion with a snake tail. That close enough right? & I'm happy so far with the name.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Lyside

From Lycia (the home of the Chimera), Lion, and Side (of a square). See also Lie and the name's similarity to destructive chemical names (e.g. X sulfide).

LIE-SIDE
IPA: ˈlaɪˈsaɪd

Basileo

From Basilica (particularly St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican, known for its art and architecture), Basileus and Basileon (Greek for "king" and "of kings"), and Leo ("Lion"). yes i know the Greek is pre-modern

I think I'm going to go with the former pronunciation, but I'll put both just in case.
ba-SIH-li-O | BA-si-LE-o
IPA: bəˈsɪ.lɛˌoʊ | ˌba.sɪˈlɛ.oʊ

This commonly recognized Greek / Byzantine Empire flag shows the "four betas" of the emperor's title: Basileus Basileon, Basileuon Basileuonton "King of Kings, exercising rule over kings".

Tagmala

From Tagmata (elite batallions of the Greek / Byzantine Empire), Malaise, and Antagonist. Battalions, like the Tagma, deploy in squares. See also Manala, the Finnic underworld.

TAG-ma-la.
IPA: ˈtæɡ.mə.lə

Glad to know Karoshi shared some of my theming ideas. Go Greek or go... be meek. Eat a leek. Lose at hide and seek. etc. Glad I didn't end up repeating an idea by accident!

Last edited:
WIP

Manticasso

From: "Manticore", a mythical lion similar to the Chimera CAP29 is based on, and "Picasso", the well-known artist that also inspired CAP29's oil-painting motif.

Pronounced: "Man-Tih-Coss-Oh"

A name simple enough to decipher, and also acknowledges the source material(s) that Gravity Monkey used for CAP29's design.

Chimervas

From: "Chimera", the mythical lion-headed, serpent-tailed beast that CAP29 is based on, and "Canvas", a common material most painters use for a surface.

Pronounced: "Chi-Mare-Vuss"

I like the idea that every attack into CAP29 adds a splash of color to the canvas that is CAP29's mane, and this name helps provide better context to its Color Change ability.

Feedback is always appreciated!

Last edited:
Wip

Chromaleo

Chroma = color, and chromaleo sounds phonetically nice so I think it's a sound submission

Pronounced: kro-mah-LAY-oh

WIP 1

Salvacore

A combination of "Savaldor" (as in Savaldor Dali, mainly for the melting, surreal look the CAP has), and "manticore".

Pronounced- Sal-Vuh-Kor

WIP 2

Tempurra

A combination of "tempera" (as in tempera paint, which requires a sticky substance to use, like the CAP's gooey body) and "purr".

Pronounced- Tem-Pur-Ah

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)