CAP 29 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP (1/3)

Antiquor

Pronounced: an-TEE-kor
IPA: ænˈtikɔr

"Anti" / "Antique" / "Manticore". Tryna play up the hostility of the mon for its Dark/Poison type while still referencing its core(!) elements.

WIP (2/3)

Decodire

Pronounced: DEH-co-DAI-r
IPA: ˈdɛkoʊdaɪr

"Deco" like Art Deco. "Dire" can be both dangerous/serious and also the RPG reference that "Dire" animals are bigger tougher and scarier.

Last edited:

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
WIP

Camougar

Pronounced: ka-moo-gaar
IPA: ˈkæmuˌgɑːr
Origin: Camouflage (See: Color Change) + Cougar (variation for lions, a.k.a the mountain lion)

Last edited:
WIP (1/3)

Grisailleon

Pronounced: "Gris-aye-leon"

A combination of grisaille (gris-aye), a classical method of painting in black and white, and leon meaning lion.

(In the grand tradition of Pokemon with ambiguously pronounced names, "Gris-ei-leon" is also probably an OK pronunciation, since it still sounds good. I also considered Grisailleo, and would be interested to know if people have a preference.)

WIP (2/3)

Chimeroscuro

Pronounced: "Chi-mehr-os-kyu-ro"

A combination of chimera and chiaroscuro (the use of strong contrast between light and shadow to create depth in a painting).

(I'm a little surprised this hadn't been suggested already, maybe I just missed it. It might be too complicated to be a good name, but I thought the concept of light and shadow played well into the Dark typing.)

WIP (3/3)

Atroxic

Pronounced: "At-rocks-ic"

A combination of atrox (from panthera atrox, an extinct species of massive lions once native to North America) and toxic.

-------------------

Maybe I'm a giant art nerd, but once I started looking I had a lot of ideas for this one.

First of all, I'm upset that the Latin name for lead is plumbum. Lead has such a history as toxic pigment. Sadly 'lead' is almost too short to work with and any combination I came up with that involved 'plumbum'. . . well, the syllables you have to work with are 'plum' and 'bum'. Good luck making that sound serious.

In more promising territory, two arsenic-containing pigments used in ancient Egypt have very cool names -- orpiment and realgar. Maybe somebody more creative than I can come up with some combo with one of those that (a) actually sounds like a Pokemon name and (b) isn't a complete phonetic nightmare. (Honestly I think realgar would be a solid name by itself, because 'real' means royal in Spanish, but I wasn't sure if submitting the name of an actual object was allowed.)

On a feedback note, I like the idea of this name being a little more complicated or dense than other CAP names, since it's supposed to have mythical or legendary vibes and usually their names aren't just combinations of common words. I also think the idea of it staying the same in multiple languages is interesting, but I'm not attached to it because I don't want to be unnecessarily restricted to only Japanese names.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully this doesn't clutter up the thread too badly.

Last edited:
WIP

Oleon

from "王" (pronounced Ō, japanese for king or emperor), "oleum" (latin for oil, in reference to oil paint), and "leo" (latin for lion).

Pronounced "Ohlee-on"
IPA: oʊliːɒn

I’m loving a lot of the more punny subs and would be happy with a ton of names posted already, but I’ll throw my own name in the mix because I’m competitive and love wordplay too.

WIP

Chromaticore

Fairly simple portmanteau of Chromatic + Manticore. I know the base design is more Chimera based, but I feel the two creatures are often enough substituted for one another and chimera is more likened to generic animal fusions nowadays. Plus Manticore just has a more threatening aura to it.

This will likely be what I end up tossing in. It’s also exactly 12 letters, which I think is the limit.
As a Magic: the Gathering player, I immediately found this name to be extremely close to the name of the existing MTG card Chromanticore. I suggest changing your WIP for exactly this reason.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Modpost: Final submissions for names are now open. Make sure that your name submission follows the template in the opening post exactly to avoid disqualification!

You have 72 hours to make your final submissions, after which we will close this thread and start name polls.

Final Submission

Oleon

from "王" (pronounced Ō, japanese for king or emperor), "oleum" (latin for oil, in reference to oil paint), and "leo" (latin for lion).

Pronounced: "Ohlee-on"
IPA: oʊliːɒn

Last edited:
Final Submission

Vincionne

Vinci (as in Leonardo Da Vinci) + Lionne (French for "lion")

Pronounced: Vin-si-oh-ne

Last edited:
Final Submission

Portfoleo

Pretty simple, Portfolio + Leo for lion. Portfolio implies a range of different artworks, which I like for Color Change.

Pronounced: “port·fow·lee·oh”

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Roartrait

A combination of “Roar” (forceful lion sound) + “Portrait” (a framed artwork)

Pronounced: “ROR-trit”
IPA: ɹɔɹtɹət

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Ombreleo

A combination of “Ombre” + "Leo" that is suggestive of "Imbroglio"

Pronounced: “ahm-BRAILLE-eo”
IPA: /ɒmˈbreɪl yoʊ/

Ombre is the blending of one color into another, leo for lion, and imbroglio refers to confusing/complicated situations, such as a Pokemon that's constantly changing types.

Final Submission

Specthera

A combination of "spectrum" (as in the color spectrum) and "panthera" (the genus that lions are from)

Pronounced: "speck-THAIR-ra"

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Lyside

From Lycia (mythological home of the Chimera), Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (hallucinogen associated with art), Lie, Side (of a square), and the "ide" chemical suffix.

Pronounced: "LIE-side"
IPA: ˈlaɪ.saɪd

Last edited:
Final Submission

Temperor

A mix of Tempera (a painting technique), Temperamental (moody in spanish, but often used to describe people who are easily angered), and emperor.

Pronounced: tehm-PEH-rrohr

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Final Submission

Acryleo

A combination of "acrylic" (a type of paint) and "leo" (Latin for lion).

Pronounced: "a-KRILL-ee-oh"
IPA: əkɹɪlio

Final Submission

Gallureon

Gallery + Gyakushuu (逆襲, "counterattack") + Allure/Lure + Rex (Latin for "king") + Lion

Pronounced: "Gahl-LURE-eh-on"
IPA: /gəˈlʊrɛɑn/

Gallery (as in "art gallery") relates to the oil painting design elements of this CAP, Gyakushuu refers to how CAP29 can use Color Change to possibly prevail over its opponent and Allure/Lure and Rex refer to the dignified image it seems to give off.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Simbacasso

Simba (means "lion" in Swahili) + Picasso (as in Pablo Picasso, the artist)

Pronounced: "sim-buh-CAH-soh"

Final Submission

Purrealism

A combination of purr (A sound cats make when content) and Surrealism, a genre of art focused on the unrealistic and unusual.

Pronounced: Per-REE-uhl-iz-uhm
IPA: /pɜː ˈrɪəlɪzəm/

Last edited:
Final Submission

Pictocore

Picto- as a prefix means “to paint,” and “Core” is a reference to “Manticore,” a lion-like creature with a snake tail.

Pronounced: Pik-toh-cor

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
Final Submission

Camougar

A combination of the words Camouflage (references Color Change) and Cougar (variation for lions, a.k.a the mountain lion)

Pronounced: ka-moo-gaar
IPA: ˈkæmuˌgɑːr

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Raigazo

A combination of "Raion" (Japanese for lion) + "Gazo" (Japanese for image)

Pronounced: RY-gah-zo

IPA: raɪgazo

Kinda based off Raikou, which is a combination of the Japanese words for lion and lightning.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Mantiroque

Manticore + Baroque

I wanted to reference manticore and some art style related to CAP 29 but couldn't make them work with manticore so I went with Baroque, a painting style that is all about THE DRAMA and it's kind of related to CAP 29 dark-type since in baroque paintings it was common to use a contrast between lights and shadows (chiaroscuro) to emphasize certain subjects in the composition and to enhance the dramatic effect.

Pronounced: MAN-tih-roe-k
IPA: ˈmæntɪˌroʊk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)