CAP 29 - Part 4 - Typing Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Ranked Pairs Vote Instructions

-----

CAP 29 So Far

-----

We recently concluded the typing discussion, which was lead by yours truly, which began with this post and ended with this post. If you haven't given it a look, please read through it. Quoted below are explanations for the typings slated, written as neutrally as I could manage:

• Dark / Poison: This typing minimizes overall weaknesses only being weak to Ground initially, letting it use Color Change's Neutral to Resistance power to an exceptional extent, with Fire, Water, Electric being noteworthy examples. This typing also allows CAP 29 to function as an excellent Rillaboom check, functionally hard counter Slowking-Galar, and, as a minor bonus, this typing provides stab on both Dark and Poison moves, which both are excellent utility typings.
  • Electric / Ghost: This typing is one of the most focused of the options submitted, functioning as a near perfect answer to one of CAP's premiere walls, Tomohawk, while also offering a significant number of CC Neutral to Resist combos, although its main CC Weakness to Resist combo of Dark is not perfect due to how Knock Off's mechanics. It offers a number of circumstantial benefits with a great initial STAB combo, as well as being a spin blocker.
  • Fire / Fighting: This typing is by far the most offensively inclined of those in the slate, and if it ever manages to keep its initial typing, it will force a switch, which is something that not every option here can boast thanks to its amazing initial STABs. Despite being the most offensively inclined of the slate it does offer useful defensive utility, resisting all of Rillaboom's coverage, and also making excellent use of CC's defensive merits, being able to turn itself into a Scald resist fairly easily.
  • Flying / Ground: Of the typings on the slate, this option is the one that maximizes our inherent immunities, providing a very solid Ground and Electric immunity, two aspects that a lot of teams need, with a Volt Switch immunity alone being enough to justify our place on some teams. This typing also offers access to excellent initial STABs, as a combo or with additional moves. Finally it maintains access to a number of CC Weakness to Resist and CC Neutral to Resist combos.
  • Flying / Steel: This typing is probably the best on the slate in terms of both general defensive merit, fulfilling many important defensive niches within CAP in general, notably letting us just eat Equilibra, Rillaboom itself, and providing the sheer utility of an initial Steel typing. This typing's only two weaknesses also allow for a Weakness to Resist interaction. Frankly speaking, this typing is a good choice due to these two elements alone, and although it does struggle a tad with its initial STABs the benefits definitely outweigh that.
  • Water / Poison: This typing balances excellent defensive and great offensive merit, being one of the few Water-types that can even access the Rillaboom matchup through Color Change, thanks to how useful Water typing is from both a defensive, and even offensive standpoint. Suicune and others show how useful Water moves in terms of supreme neutral coverage, and access to initial Water-STAB could do a lot of good for us in terms of setting up moveslots.

-----

This will be a Ranked Pairs vote (RP) (a form of voting where each candidate is ranked according to head to head matchups with each of its competitors in a directed acyclic graph), the details of which were discussed here.

This is a ranked vote: order does matter! You can upvote your favorites and downvote your least favorites. You may choose to rank as many or as few options as you like, but we encourage you to rank as many options as possible to ensure your preferences are taken into account.

Bold your votes and nothing else!
A typical vote might look like the following:
Most Preferred
Second Most Preferred
Third Most Preferred

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
CAP uses automated scripts to count votes. For this reason, it is very important for all ballots to be submitted correctly. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
  • The scripts count bold words in ballots, so do NOT bold anything in your ballot other than the options you are voting for.
  • Do NOT put any formatting other than bold in your post.
  • Only one option per line.
  • The spelling of options must be EXACTLY correct and must match the spelling listed above.
  • Capitalization and spaces are ignored by the vote counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
Composing a proper ballot is easy. Enter BBCode Edit Mode (the A in the upper right corner). Copy/paste the options directly from the OP to your ballot as plain unbolded text. Delete and/or rearrange the options to suit your preference and the poll type. Bold your vote text using bold tags or re-enter rich text mode, highlight your vote and click B. Spelling or formatting errors may spoil your ballot, so be careful!

CAP uses blind voting. Other people's votes won't appear in the thread, but they are counted and will be made visible at the end of the voting timeframe. For more information about this change, check out this PRC thread.

Asking for votes for your submission or for the submissions of others is not allowed. Anyone found to have done so risks punishment at the moderation team's discretion. If you find that someone has broken this rule, please contact the CAP moderation team with your evidence and no one else. Mini-moderation of this rule is also considered a serious offense and can be punished.

The voting options are:

Dark / Poison
Electric / Ghost
Fire / Fighting
Flying / Ground
Flying / Steel
Water / Poison

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Flying / Steel
Water / Poison
Dark / Poison
Electric / Ghost
Fire / Fighting
Flying / Ground

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Flying / Steel
Flying / Ground
Dark / Poison
Water / Poison
Electric / Ghost
Fire / Fighting

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Flying / Ground
Flying / Steel
Water / Poison
Dark / Poison
Electric / Ghost
Fire / Fighting

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Flying / Steel
Fire / Fighting
Electric / Ghost
Dark / Poison
Flying / Ground
Water / Poison

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Flying / Ground
Dark / Poison
Fire / Fighting
Electric / Ghost
Flying / Steel

Water / Poison

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Flying / Ground
Fire / Fighting
Dark / Poison
Electric / Ghost
Flying / Steel
Water / Poison

I am told I get a vote.

To explain my rationale. I played a load of test games and frankly found that I was getting ot keep stab far more often than I really had any right to. That to me suggests that the traditional sweeper route of "use offensive presence to get free setup" is more open than otherwise suggested. Hence me ranking several potent offensive typings high.

Last edited:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Electric / Ghost
Fire / Fighting
Flying / Steel
Dark / Poison
Flying / Ground
Water / Poison

Fire / Fighting
Dark / Poison
Flying / Ground

I’d like to throw my support in for Dark/Poison and Fire/Fighting. Both are very solid typings, with one being more defensively oriented and the other more offensively oriented. Both have strong offensive and defensive capabilities, and in the case of Dark/Poison, some excellent utility in its psychic immunity (which is especially useful in a meta where Futureport is so common). Fire/Fighting also possesses a notable resistance to Steel, which would allow CAP29 to come in on Libra’s Doom Desire and threaten it out with a strong Fire or Fighting attack (albeit at the cost of STAB negation).

Both Dark/Poison and Fire/Fighting are excellent typings that offer a good amount of potential roll compression, and I would be more than happy with the selection of either typing. I’m a little more partial to Fire/Fighting, but that’s mostly because I would be interested to see CAP29 go a more offensive route. I’d be chill with either option, though, really.

I also have little qualms with Ground/Flying, as its defensive potential is amazing. However, I feel that this typing might lead for a little less of an interesting and—dare I say it—colorful process. I wouldn’t be opposed to it, but I like Dark/Poison and Fire/Fighting much more.

Last edited:

lepton

im fragile, but not that fragile
is a Tiering Contributor
Electric / Ghost
Flying / Ground
Dark / Poison
Water / Poison
Fire / Fighting
Flying / Steel

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Electric / Ghost
Water / Poison

Dark / Poison
Flying / Ground
Flying / Steel
Fire / Fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)