Status
Not open for further replies.

Samirsin

✧Rey de los Snom✧
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Final Submission
CAP33SMRFinal.png

Supporting Material
Here is monke boi! This a depiction of Tlaloc, the aztec god of rain (water!), my main inspiration. It is also a goblin-like (fairy!) sea monkey! His hands represent the Aztec glyph for water (he can shoot water from them!). He is very small (fast!), and resistant (wall!), due to it being covered in tiles (multiscale!). I wanted to create a creature that was not a fish and this popped into my mind. This is actually my first art submission! I'm quite happy with the result. :D

This is a picture taken inside the Templo Mayor museum, in Mexico City (where I'm from!) the vase is adorned with intricate designs depicting Tlaloc, the god of rain, fertility, and water, along with symbols related to water, agriculture, and fertility. The vibrant colors and meticulous craftsmanship showcase the artistic skills of the Aztec civilization, which is where I took inspiration. I went directly and they met!

Reference Sheet
1697248534542.png

Click to see it bigger!​

Last edited:

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Submission
shark.png

A shark inspired by jets, rockets, and comets! A trail of light stretches out from its fins and tail, and it has remoras that resemble jet engines on its fins, which are shaped like plane wings.

Supporting Material:

May add/alter supporting material if I have time!

Full-Res ImageHeight ComparisonEngine Remora Detail
IMG_3173.png
approx_height.png
IMG_3172.jpg

Final Submission

CAP 33 DESIGN "MOONFISHED"

Supporting Material

• Оpаh (Moonfish) - Specifically, the southern spotted opah. They’re tropical deepwater fish that are a similar size and appearance to sunfish. Little is fully understood about them, as opah behavior has yet to be properly studied. What is known is that they have a very unique trait; they’re “the only known fish to possess whole-body endothermy, allowing them to maintain internal temperatures higher than the surrounding water throughout their entire body.” This combined with their strong pectoral fins means that theoretically, they have great swim endurance at high speeds, which combined with it being called a “MOONfish”, I found to be perfect for this prompt.
    • Additionally, the endothermic traits of the opah can translate into this Pokemon being able to use Electric/Fire type moves like Will-o-Wisp or Thunder Wave. :0
  • The Moon - Originally wanted it to look like the face of the moon, but instead made it have indents all over its body that resemble moon craters! And when deep underwater, it remains sparkly and the moon pattern surrounding its eye illuminates, creating the optical illusion of a starry night sky.
  • “Once in a blue moon” - Ties into the Opah being an elusive species of fish.
  • Nuchal hump - I wanted to incorporate some kind of crown/tiara into the design and originally it was more of a generic crown, but then I was reminded of those big bumps some fish have on their heads called "nuchal humps" and thought it'd be a more natural solution.
Full resolution
w/ transparent background​
Supporting art​
Illustration​
Design progression
(September 15 - October 11 2023)

Guys, I'm not gonna lie. This was a rough last two months for me for a multitude of reasons. But I was not in the best spot mentally let alone creatively. I think there were many times I went too far for the sake of perfection, many times I was hard on myself, many times I wish I had done something more inspiring. But at the end of the day...I did it. I made something I can be proud of. Better times are ahead for me for sure, but I'm glad to finally move forward with all of you. Thank you to everyone who stuck with me and supported me on this crazy journey that is/was CAP 33. Best of luck to everyone in polls! :)

Mos-Quitoxe
Quanyails
Sunfished
drifbloomCF
ausma
Amamama
Unsee
Y.Beer
StephXPM
EnderTrenton
Felis Licht
Swiffix
eelium
SwiftlyNerd <3
...and many more!

get moonfished lol

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP
00F2E813-D7FB-4C6F-961B-2B88B353BDB0.jpeg

8B747F63-67C1-4182-A638-6DDB535A00EC.jpeg

in the endgame now!!! x_x
Here's my design update. Tried to push the "hiding in a shoal" idea further, now its got fish ears and a fish tail. I tried to make it more topheavy and give it longer legs to convey the idea of its speed further, altho i think the eventual supporting material is what's gonna help sell that the most. All and all i like this version better than my last, but I don't think Im done tweaking it quite yet!

Final Submission
musicuttle.png

Justifications:
  • Water/Fairy typing: Design is a combination of several aquatic animals, a rainbow (which combines water with light), and a musical scale. Music as a motif has been used several times for Fairy pokemon (Primarina, Jigglypuff, etc.) It even features the first notes of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" (shiny cleffa who?)
  • High Defense: No self-respecting speed demon would hit the byways without some serious protection. This design features a cross between a motorcycle helmet and a nautilus shell to stay safe. :)
  • High Speed: Design is primarily based off a Squid which is the fastest swimming invertebrate in the ocean. That baby can book it at 25 mph!
  • Multiscale: I decided to interpret the "scale" part of Multiscale as a musical scale. The shell is also plated to resemble scales.

Final Submission

CAP33 final 3.png

(Man this one did not enjoy being compressed) Anyway, for anyone following along with my previous WIPs, I apologize for pushing this one in from left field - I had a lot of feedback on discord and the gardevoir-esque humanoids, mounted on a horse or not, weren't clicking with people. Hence, this mysterious creature. Not even I know what it's inspired by.

Supporting art may or may not follow depending on how my drawin' computer is behaving in the coming days.

EDIT: changed the gradient in the fins to be simpler, and actually painted in.

Supporting Material
variant faces:
CAP33supp.png

Cryptid Spotted:

Last edited:
Final Submission
IMG_0079.png

It’s a squeaky hammerhead shark. I really struggled with Fairy and time to polish again this time around - and I was really fighting with my ideas and concepts. My fiancé kindly prompted me to just draw something I’d have fun with, so here is this dopey lil guy. Hoping for one of the mega HP stat spreads for this one.

Final Submission
IMG_0008-ConvertImage.jpg

Design Explanation
This design was originally meant to be a Bulldog Bat, notable for their dietary affinity to fish (To justify the Water typing.), but in the end it more so became an elderly dog with scraggly fur and a body covered in it's own drool. It's large mastiff-esc stature is meant to represent it's nature as a wall, while it's slime-covered lower body is a subtle attempt to justify speed. The scales are the justification for the ability Multiscale; and based on a skin condition found in older dogs called "seborrheic dermatitis", which can take the form of a somewhat scale-like rash. The wings on the back are a holdover from the initial Bulldog Bat concept as a further explanation for the Fairy typing, rather than relying solely on the "cuter" disposition and scattered pink coloring of the design.

Supporting Material
IMG_0023.jpg
("SM" Notes; The Pokemon knuckle-walks, the fur is rather malleable and extendable, it's saliva is used for general environmental manipulation, and the tail is often used while "taunting" or when engaging in other trollish behavior.)

Conclusion
This design was my first "real" attempt at doing digital art, I've been messing around in Procreate for a few days but besides that I have practically no experience with the medium. Which is why I decided to do a more "subtle" broader design, using a lot of Gen 2 and Gen 3 mons as references, though of course some of that decision was made be my lack of knowledge instead of being an intentional decision. What I'm trying to say I guess is that this whole process was a great learning experience for me and I'm excited to finally interact with this community after lurking for a while. (Also that any advice when it comes to digital art is appreciated, for example, I don't really feel like my pieces in Procreate are that similar to the official Pokemon designs due to my lack of knowledge on shading and line-art.)

Last edited:

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

A Sea Fairy/Clione + Otohime, the princess of the undersea palace Ryuugu-jo (Dragon God Palace) in the Japanese Momotaro Folklore.

Going off the main title/keywords of "Princess of Dragon Castle", I'd think it naturally fit the stat spread of being fast and bulky while being able to have Multiscale quite well. I chose to use a Sea Angel for the base because they also naturally have that duo-tone contrasting nature between being cute and absolutely monstrous, reflecting on the two usually opposite, yet now united sides of this CAP. (Fast + Wall)

I chose to give her "The Rock Eyebrows" as both to give her a bit more personality and a subtle nod to Tatsugiri, which is another Japanese-inspired Dragon-themed design.

Last edited:
WIP

1697726111670.png

not that great/detailed of a sketch but oh well. Idea is based on how otters hold hands so they don't drift apart, with some Pisces inspo mixed (the face marks are just the Pisces symbol split in half with a heart shaped nose in the middle).

I'd love to flesh this design out more but I don't got much idea where to rly go.

also I picked otters specifically because they are one of my favorite animals.

EDIT: for clarification, the two otters are one mon (think like Tandemaus/Maushold).

EDIT 2: colored it, it's Fuchsia because homestuck lol

Attachments

Last edited:
Final Submission
CAP 33 FINAL SMALL.png

Rolling around at the speed of sound, got places to go got to follow my rainbow!

Here's my submission for CAP 33! it's based on the Basilisk Lizard, a.k.a. the Jesus Lizard, known for its ability to run on water! Along with this, it takes inspiration from Iris, goddess of rainbows and herald to the gods. It shows its heralding nature through the Horagai, or shell horn, that it noisily blasts as it runs across the water! Finally, its design takes inspiration from tropes about Rainbow Contrails, and their ties to characters who are either fast, magical, or both.

High resolution image:
CAP 33 FINALE.png

Last edited:
Final Submission
final sub tiny.png

angler whale puppy.
The pokemon is not particularly intelligent. It evolved an angler in order to catch smaller prey. Unfortunately, the angler looks delicious to it as it does to its prey, so they chase their own lure.

Mod Edit: Oversized image changed to thumbnail

Last edited:
Final Submission

Flat 2D Anime Ribbon Eel:
Untitled5023_20231020142708.png

They're based on a ribbon eel and 2D animation, so their main body is flat and they're sort of just an anime reference, particularly to magical girls and a bit of Shenron from dbz.

I'm aware now that they might be too similar to another aquatic anime inspired capmon but they could be friends!!
Supporting Material
Full Res Transparent version + Reference sheet
Untitled5016_20231020123924.pngUntitled5022_20231020143228.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)