CAP 3D Modeling Project

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
but I think Necturna does deserve a model.
We'll be getting to Necturna, as well as the rest of the CAPs some time later in the future. We all just have to be patient for the model sheets to be made and to find a modeler, animator, someone to do the rigging, etc. etc. for that CAP.

Edit:
Actually, I would like to claim doing the modeling and animation (not including rigging... maybe) for Necturna once the model sheets get made for it.

Yiam : DJTHED is kind of right, we need to make sure everything will be accurately sized. Hold on to that model, once we have her proportions down, gp ahead and resize what you have and we can probably work with it.

I'm busting Pyroak back open today, will come back later with an update.

EDIT-Presently picking up the pieces, please stand by...

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Glad to see that most of us are active, although paintseagull appears absent. :/ :D

DJTHED: A model sheet isn't strictly necessary if you'd like to try modeling Necturna or helping out with Yiam's model. If Yilx is interested in creating a model sheet, that works, too!

Yiam: I'd say to keep at it! A model doesn't have to be perfect the first time around. :)

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
DJTHED: A model sheet isn't strictly necessary if you'd like to try modeling Necturna or helping out with Yiam's model.
Oh, I know it's not really a necessity, but I would prefer to have one at the start of the process if I were to attempt to make a model.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
oh it's lovely to see you guys going on this again, let me tell you, this year has been utter hell for me! I will be back soon with more vigour, I hope! Give me maybe a week? Hold tight <3 you're all amazing

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Yay we're all alive! :D

Yiam at least you gave it a try, so be happy! For Necturna I recommend going by a model sheet - drawing one sounds like more work but actually saves you a lot of time. The idea of having reference is so you deal with stuff like proportions in 2d rather than 3d. As for your model, is there any chance you can give us a wireframe shot? I can sort of work out (from the shading & triangle count) that there's too many subdivisions. It's better to block out the model at the lowest subdiv, then increase the levels later.

Overall I think it's passable but it needs a lot more work. Maybe practice more on simpler models? I was ambitious too when I started -- back then there's a Plasmanta thread and I tried to make one, but failed miserably. It's not until after making stuff like Wooper and Kirby was I able to do harder things. So yeah....maybe take it one step at a time!

- just some advice from someone who's been through where you're at =)

Yay we're all alive! :D

Yiam at least you gave it a try, so be happy! For Necturna I recommend going by a model sheet - drawing one sounds like more work but actually saves you a lot of time. The idea of having reference is so you deal with stuff like proportions in 2d rather than 3d. As for your model, is there any chance you can give us a wireframe shot? I can sort of work out (from the shading & triangle count) that there's too many subdivisions. It's better to block out the model at the lowest subdiv, then increase the levels later.

Overall I think it's passable but it needs a lot more work. Maybe practice more on simpler models? I was ambitious too when I started -- back then there's a Plasmanta thread and I tried to make one, but failed miserably. It's not until after making stuff like Wooper and Kirby was I able to do harder things. So yeah....maybe take it one step at a time!

- just some advice from someone who's been through where you're at =)
You got me. I am still a newb to blender and basically what I did is take a cube and mold it into the shape of her upper body, then I took a cylinder and put it in the gap to make the chest and I extruded and shaped it to become a neck, and I then threw a sphere on that and flattened it a bit to make it ovalish. After that I took a cone and stuck it under her torso and I took 2 donuts to make the sash. Then a cone to make the arm. There's a massive amount of subdivisions and since I work with sculpt a lot (since that is way faster than moving all those little vertices around) I end up with them all the time. I'd like to have less but it never looks the same and I can't sculpt with them, so I'd have to do everything manually. I tried that but it ended up less than pretty, and it took a really long time. I'm learning as I model though.
I'll post two pictures.
This one is the first model I ever made in blender, without sculpt.
SWORD2.blend.png

and here's the wireframe for the necturna model I made:
nocturna2.blend2.png

QxC4eva

Yveltal I had a rough draft lying around, but I guess it's too late now. =P Hopefully it can be some use?

Yiam have you tried modeling organic objects? They're harder to do than swords, and will certainly help you with Necturna. I'm sure you know Necturna is more than just cones and cylinders, and you have to do some sculpting to make it look good. Nice work and keep practicing. n_n

Last edited:
Yveltal I had a rough draft lying around, but I guess it's too late now. =P Hopefully it can be some use?

Yiam have you tried modeling organic objects? They're harder to do than swords, and will certainly help you with Necturna. I'm sure you know Necturna is more than just cones and cylinders, and you have to do some sculpting to make it look good. Nice work and keep practicing. n_n
As I said, the torso used to be a cube. I'm having great difficulty correctly sculpting cones and cylinders though, they just tend to... get fcked up. Because all the vertices come together at one point. I can show you a picture of an earlier model I did... but this one has waaaay too many vertices.
Necturna.blend.png

I took a lot of time sculpting the cylinder arm into what it is, but if you would see it in wireframe you wouldnt even be able to see individual vertices. Sculpting the dress is true horror. I should probably make it hollow and add another layer..
By the way, I already abandoned the model in the picture.

Yilx QxC4eva Yiam here's what I figured it would be like before breaking in to some photoshop for a little more polish:

It just came to me that the barrette and halo aren't separate pieces, but instead a tail/handle of sorts. The proportions still apply, though, but substitute out the phrase "thorn halo" in my notes for "tail". And ignore that part about the 30 degree tilt on the barette ^_^;
As I said, the torso used to be a cube. I'm having great difficulty correctly sculpting cones and cylinders though, they just tend to... get fcked up. Because all the vertices come together at one point. I can show you a picture of an earlier model I did... but this one has waaaay too many vertices.View attachment 51033
I took a lot of time sculpting the cylinder arm into what it is, but if you would see it in wireframe you wouldnt even be able to see individual vertices. Sculpting the dress is true horror. I should probably make it hollow and add another layer..
As a general tip, model with and turbosmooth/subdivide cubes as much as possible. If everything is quads, it'll look nicer. You can make spheres, cylinders and such from turbosmoothing cubes, and it'll be generally easier to make UV maps for. At least, that's what the local professionals do. Even eyeballs can originally come from cubes that got subdivided a few times into spheres.
For Necturna specifically, definitely have a hollow dress, because we can add some bare-bones faces to the bottom when preparing for UVs. That's one of those places where we can add on without jumping the poly count way up.

Last edited:

QxC4eva

Ahh smart, better than just doodling off like I did. XD It seems about right but here's a few things. I don't think the collar should go up that high to the level of the eyes. That might restrict the head movement too much (when animating). I'm also quite sure the sleeve isn't 4.5 heads long... maybe 3 or 4 max?

The main thing I was wondering though (Yilx~) is if there's more teeth at the back of the dress so the whole dress can open up sideways..?

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I don't think the collar should go up that high to the level of the eyes. That might restrict the head movement too much (when animating)
I wouldn't worry about that tbh. As long as there's rigging in the collars, it won't restrict head movement when animating.

As I said, the torso used to be a cube. I'm having great difficulty correctly sculpting cones and cylinders though, they just tend to... get fcked up. Because all the vertices come together at one point. I can show you a picture of an earlier model I did... but this one has waaaay too many vertices.View attachment 51033
Yveltal already mentioned this, but I really REALLY want to stress how important it is to work with quads when making models like these. One cannot just spawn a cone or a cylinder and expect to be able to make a model like this:

Notice how for the most part the quads are well spaced and all adjacent quads are similar in size. Making something like this with quads is very important for multiple reasons. Quads are very flexible, and allow you to make tons of different shapes to fit your needs when sculpting. They are also very easy to work with when rigging. They're easy to subdivide to increase poly counts without too much trouble. Etc. There are tons of resources out their explaining how to work with quads. I'd recommend you look into that before diving into something like this. :)

Last edited:

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Ahh smart, better than just doodling off like I did. XD It seems about right but here's a few things. I don't think the collar should go up that high to the level of the eyes. That might restrict the head movement too much (when animating). I'm also quite sure the sleeve isn't 4.5 heads long... maybe 3 or 4 max?

The main thing I was wondering though (Yilx~) is if there's more teeth at the back of the dress so the whole dress can open up sideways..?
Nope, there aren't any teeth on the back of her dress.

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll try to sketch up some things when I get home

EDIT: Hope this helps

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist

Here's a rough animation I put together. The pose is based off of the sprite work of Stratagem.

Will continue to work on this obviously, as it isn't at all finished, i.e. the torso is looking a bit static. Just wondering what people think of this so far? (Also someone please provide shiny textures for Stratagem.)

DJTHED , So far, that Stratagem is looking amazing! You are right about the torso not looking dynamic enough. It is also a bit slow for in comparison to the other animations for CAP you worked on, but you're otherwise good to go. It looks like it's really ready for battle. :P

Golui

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ǝuᴉɟ sᴉ ƃuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ
Oh hey, this thread is alive again! Woohoo!

Anyhow, DJTHED, As you have indeed said, the Stratagem is not dynamic enough. My suggestion would be to make the small rocks orbit its body. Another point is that the shading of the head (in the front sprite) is too smooth. How about you try lifting the chin a little?

Here's a rough animation I put together. The pose is based off of the sprite work of Stratagem.

Will continue to work on this obviously, as it isn't at all finished, i.e. the torso is looking a bit static. Just wondering what people think of this so far? (Also someone please provide shiny textures for Stratagem.)
Give it a slight erratic up-and-down motion with the pebbles that float around the main body, add a little rotation in there...It is a pile of floating rocks at the end of the day. Since it's already that kind of fantastical rock elemental, you could go super over-the-top like the idles in the Orre-region games and it'd still probably look good.

Let me steal the animation file from ya and I can do a quick demonstration.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Let me steal the animation file from ya and I can do a quick demonstration.
Yeah, here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tulz94ihrbwt3wq/BlenderStratagemSprite.zip?dl=0

Another point is that the shading of the head (in the front sprite) is too smooth. How about you try lifting the chin a little?
There's not much I can do about that myself, honestly. The texture itself will need to have some baked in shading to make it look not as smooth.

EDIT:
Slightly adjusted the angle of the light for the front sprite. It helps a little bit I suppose, but the textures could still definitely use some baked shading detail of some kind.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)