CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 3 (Secondary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electric is a nice underrated defensive type, which when paired with Poison yields a 4x ground weakness. However, Earthquakes are easily predictable. Electric also gives good resists such as that to flying which is quite prevalent on the CAP server thanks to the previous CAPs.

Rock paired with Posion would be pretty cool, as another decent rock type to take advantage of Sandstorm's special defensive increase.

Elevator Music:
(which Tran clearly isn't)
I use Heatran to support. He quite a few supporting moves, and is almost never (in my teams) primarily used offensively. Ever heard of Will-O-Wisp? Ever heard of Sleep Talk + Rest? Lava Plume? Heatran has a support niche, regardless of its gigantic Special Attack stat. Magnezone is another 4x ground weak used for support.

Do you see this thing plausibly getting Levitate? Do batteries float? Do squids float?
Let's see what else gets Levitate.
Bronzong: do bells float?
Carnivine: do carnivorous trapping plants float?
Claydol: do dolls made of sand float?
Lunatone: do moon shaped rocks float?
Solrock: do sun shaped rocks float?
Unown: do letters float?

Electric is my first choice. Good stab, and it has been pointed out again and again why electric utilities are needed and why they are useable. 2 Weaknesses and 7 resistances is useful too
Dragon I was initially thinking psychic, but i realized the ghost weakness isnt too good to take on revenank. Dragon is a respectable, yet rarely seen defensive type. I think the only real ones are in uber. It also has nice resistances to fire, water, electric, and grass. Stab would only be resisted by steel. And it only adds 2 more weaknesses.

1st choice- Electric. Electric typing does give it nice access to Thunder-wave and Trickroom. That and it doesn't add any new weaknesses while adding a few resistances

That said, I'm not really behind the idea of a "Computer virus" Pokemon. It seem to feel more like a fragile sweeper than a utility pokemon.

2nd choice- No additional typing. Poison seems to be a good standalone typing with it's fighting resistance and lack of weaknesses. Most of the options presented either take away the Fighting resist or add several other weaknesses

Something tells me though that it will come down to either Steel or electric

I vote Electric as my first choice.
Electric typing allows it a decent STAB, and the few weaknesses is good, too. Ground is a predictable weakness, and I think you would be able to see a Psychic coming, no?
Dragon is my second choice, because it has quite a few resistances, and that typing is just yummy.

I don't like Steel on this because it takes away the fighting resistance, which seemed to be a big selling point for voting Poison, and it still has the 4x Ground weakness.

Ground
Reasoning: I am very fond of the resistances this typing offers, first a stealth rock resistance and ability to absorb toxic spikes means it is not hindered by entry hazards.
Fighting/Rock/Bug resistances make this a very safe Heracross switch in and maybe Lucario dependant on the stats.
Even though this is a utility pokemon ground gives it a very good stab move, so it is not a sitting duck like pokemon such as shuckle. Poison combines well with ground to hit ground resistant grasses hard; such as celebi.

2nd Choice: Dark
Reasons: First it resists both of revenanhk's stab moves the psychic immunity is also very handy on the CAP server. One predictable weakness in ground, as well as an important stab type if this thing gets rapid spin.

1st choice Steel- I've explained it enough, is another explanation needed
2nd choice Dragon- LonelyNess pointed out it's good resists and I think it would be cool to draw and good on the defense which is good

No Secondary Type
Because it's fine as just Poison and the dual typing for every CaP is getting a bit monotonous. This also gives us more options later on for stats and moves because we wouldn't have to worry as much as we would with other typings ( -coughPoison/Steelcough- ) about making it "broken". Because more options = more creativity, I see that as a very good thing.

Dark
And yet, regretfully, I still have to vote for another type. Dark seems nice because you can fend off Ghosts better, meaning it could possibly RS ( if we decide to have it or a variant of it, which I don't think most people are disinclined to ).

P.S., for future reference, can we vote for nothing more if we include "No Secondary" in our votes? It makes more sense to me considering you voted for it because you didn't want a second typing in the first place.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragon: Gives some AMAZING resists Fire/Water/Electric/Fighting... Plus it gives it some workable STAB to use rather than just having the sucky Poison type. This could definately work out! Also, Dragon helps with the Speed flavor that this Pokemon is desired to have eventually.

Do I have to have more than one vote? I really have no desire to have any other typing but the Poison/Dragon. If not, then my Dragon vote stands alone (obviously I want this to be my 2 point vote)

1st choice-Dragon Dragon has a large number of resistances, and a Poison/Dragon type would have an interesting design.

2nd choice-Electric Electric only has one weakness and adds several resistances, and it'd be easy flavor-wise to create a support movepool.

Electric - If it doesn't win as Primary it sure as hell better as a Secondary, and you guys can make a cool enough design/sprite. Plus I like the EQ weakness to keep it in check but no one, not even a retard, is gonna stay in on one.

Steel - I'm hoping it looks like a Lucario counter, like almost exact opposite. Also it has a whopping 9 resistances. That's a shitload.

ill refrain from making any early decisions this time haha.

however, please take the following into consideration.

looking for opinions, but wouldn't psychic make a good secondary type?
It makes a plethora of support moves available and gets rid of the psychic weakness which of course is now more popular due to the other CaP threat.
As for other other choices, I fully agree with elevator music's arguments on electric. It runs deeper than a 4x weakness, so look past that. Additionally, types like dragon and ground while, although they would creat a cool sprite [terrible reason], make absolutely no sense when combined with the concept of utility pokemon. Yes, they offer resistances, but thats not what your looking for here, they need to actually make the ability to use the many support moves plausible.

dark may also be a good choice, though the dark/poison type has been made tired this last gen.

Wow, I was expecting something profound, not '4x ground weak'.
Cute. Because there's so much to go on besides what you resist and what you don't considering that's basically all we have about the pokemon so far?

Did you miss the part where people use Swampert defensively, Heatran defensively (yeah people wall with Heatran, pretty good with its stats and WoW)? Hell, did you miss the part where people use Blissey defensively, because I don't remember Normal having a lot of resists. This Pokemon does not need resists. They're helpful and all but stats and movepool get a lot of things far, sometimes even despite typing.
OK, so there's two things that can make a pokemon defensive (three if you want to include movepool, but not so much as the other two). Stats and resistances.

Resistances are important no matter how much you say they aren't. Why are Steel types so popular (it's not JUST because they resist Dragon)? It's because they have a plethora of resistances and because their stats aren't like Mawile's. It helps that for most of them their typing allows them a helpful non-weakness to either Fighting or Ground, two of the most prevelent types in OU.

You can be a good defensive pokemon with stats like Blissey. No kidding. But those stats aren't too great if your typing is shit. Probopass has excellent defensive stats but still sucks because it's typing allows it to be weak to too many common types. Having something hit you SE basically halves your stat capabilities (orly?). So even something with 60/145/150 like Probopass has a horrible stats when halved (Yes I know that the HP isn't great to start with, but it's not horrid either).

I would go so far as to argue that the reasons both Swampert and Heatran are popular is because they have above average or decent offensive stats. In fact, Heatran would have far less defensive capaiblities is it was say, Fire/Rock instead of Fire/Steel because it loses so many resistances. Swampert is still used because Grass has never been a common type and because having the resistances it does and weaknesses it lacks make it useful

Poison/Steel, seriously, OU does NOT need another Steel utility. Not. Steel actually doesn't have a lot of utility options by itself, Jirachi and Bronzong only really get them because of their Psychic typing (and Jiri's legendary status). I'd love to see someone come up with a reason a Poison/Steel type could use something like Gravity or Trick Room. Electric, even Psychic, they can do this easily. Plus, they keep the Fight resist.
Yes this is so much better than my posts I see the meaning of life itself now. In all seriousness when did typing matter with movepool outside of Fire pokemon not getting Ice attacks and so on? It's more of the flavor behind the pokemon itself (Clefable) than the typing.

EDIT-
Bronzong: do bells float? Sorry, do bells ring on the ground?
Carnivine: do carnivorous trapping plants float? Sorry, do you know if they hang from branches like Carnivine?
Claydol: do dolls made of sand float? Sorry, do you see an inanimate psychic object moving any other way?
Lunatone: do moon shaped rocks float? Sorry, does the moon float?
Solrock: do sun shaped rocks float? Sorry, does the sun float?
Unown: do letters float? Sorry, do psychic letters have limbs?
Carnivine was the only really good example, but the others are mainly because they have no other means of locomotion beyond psychic powers. And if you could move yourself with your mind, would you drag yourself along the ground?

EDIT2- Missed this.
Magnezone is another 4x ground weak used for support.
Yeah let's all sacrifice it's great steel killing ability to use it for support. This is the only pokemon I consider Magnet Rise for use on because it can take the time to use it and it's not really strapped for options.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1. Dragon

Poison/Dragon is totally awesome. It adds some great elemental resistances eithout a crippling 4x weakness, provides a secondary STAB that is still neutral to a lot of types, and allows us to incorporate some defensive Dragon elements.

2. No secondary type

I can't really think of another type that doesn't nullify Poison's strong points or go into rehash central (Grass, Bug, Ground, Dark), so pure Poison is a good way to go.

Cute. In all seriousness when did typing matter with movepool outside of Fire pokemon not getting Ice attacks and so on? It's more of the flavor behind the pokemon itself (Clefable) than the typing.
I agree with all of your arguments but this one is a little iffy. While i agree with this basic concept, it would be hard to make a poison/flying type have trick room, no matter what you flavor it. Though now that i think about it flying could easily have gravity, once again if you get the flavor right haha.

Steel
Electric

both of them would give it 4x to ground, but would also give them both a good movepool for utility AND good defensive typing

1. Steel
Unique typing, etc. The Steel typing could open some interesting options for flavor.

2. Psychic
It would be one of the oddest typings ever, but cool nonetheless.

Poison/Dark: allowing for only one 2x weakness and some avalible utility moves.

Poison/Electric: Lots of type coverage and lots of avalible utility moves

Carnivine was the only really good example, but the others are mainly because they have no other means of locomotion beyond psychic powers. And if you could move yourself with your mind, would you drag yourself along the ground?
Yet you said "Do batteries float?". I would imagine that a battery would have no other form of locomotion.

Yeah let's all sacrifice it's great steel killing ability to use it for support. This is the only pokemon I consider Magnet Rise for use on because it can take the time to use it and it's not really strapped for options.
By support I was referring to its great steel killing ability. Surely clearing Bronzong and Skarmory out for Salamence to sweep could be considered support.

(I'm sorry for any shenanigans I might have caused to make DougJustDoug wag his finger at me in the last thread, by the way. Hopefully I didn't make too many enemies by it, because I really am psyched by what you guys are doing here, and would love to do what I can to help out!)

1. Poison / Ground

Nidoking and Nidoqueen don't really do the type justice, IMHO. There are some pretty sick possibilities here. Ground is right up there with Rock and Steel as the home of some of the best physical walls in the game, so if we went with this route, it wouldn't seem silly to have such a big, bulky Pokemon. Plus? Immunity to Sandstorm and resistance to Stealth Rock, as well as Toxic Spikes absorption! Sandstorm and Stealth Rock resistance are arguably even more important than Toxic Spikes absorption, which everyone was making such a big deal about in the last thread. Making moves like Gravity fit on a Pokemon like this would be a cinch. Also, a stabbed Earthquake would make it so no matter how defensive we made it, its offenses were still nothing to be laughed at; think Torterra. Oh, and Thunder Wave immunity. The perks just keep coming!

2. Poison / Dragon

I've been thinking about it, and there's really nothing cooler than a Poison / Dragon. Except maybe a Poison / Ground! :P

Cute. Because there's so much to go on besides what you resist and what you don't considering that's basically all we have about the pokemon so far?

I was expecting an argument for resists and movepool, not '4x ground weak now it's useless'.

OK, so there's two things that can make a pokemon defensive (three if you want to include movepool, but not so much as the other two). Stats and resistances.

Resistances are important no matter how much you say they aren't. Why are Steel types so popular (it's not JUST because they resist Dragon)? It's because they have a plethora of resistances and because their stats aren't like Mawile's. It helps that for most of them their typing allows them a helpful non-weakness to either Fighting or Ground, two of the most prevelent types in OU.

I agree that Steel types are useful for their resists, and their defensive power would be less without them.

You can be a good defensive pokemon with stats like Blissey. No kidding.

Exactly.

But those stats aren't too great if your typing is shit. Probopass has excellent defensive stats but still sucks because it's typing allows it to be weak to too many common types. Having something hit you SE basically halves your stat capabilities (orly?). So even something with 60/145/150 like Probopass has a horrible stats when halved (Yes I know that the HP isn't great to start with, but it's not horrid either).

Electric/Poison isn't shit typing like Probopass. Do not compare them.

I would go so far as to argue that the reasons both Swampert and Heatran are popular is because they have above average or decent offensive stats.

And this thing won't? We aren't necessarily making a wall. We're making a utility Pokemon. Porygon2 is utility. Tentacruel is utility. Utility != shit offensive stats.

In fact, Heatran would have far less defensive capaiblities is it was say, Fire/Rock instead of Fire/Steel because it loses so many resistances. Swampert is still used because Grass has never been a common type and because having the resistances it does and weaknesses it lacks make it useful

You have a point. However, just like you don't keep Swampert in on Grass moves, you don't keep a 4x Ground weak Pokemon in on Ground moves. In fact, Grass moves are pretty hard to avoid. Everything carries EQ to the point that if a physical sweeper is up against Heatran, and you are not faster/can't OHKO, you know to get it out because practically every one of them that isn't part Fighting carries EQ. Grass, on the other hand, is something that pops up on Zapdos, Gallade, Gengar, and Azelf from time to time; it's pretty hard to know if something has it since not every special sweeper uses it often. It's not really how often it comes up, it's knowing how to avoid it when it does, because it will. EQs are really easy to avoid in comparison.

Yes this is so much better than my posts I see the meaning of life itself now. In all seriousness when did typing matter with movepool outside of Fire pokemon not getting Ice attacks and so on? It's more of the flavor behind the pokemon itself (Clefable) than the typing.

Clefable is a normal typed fairy, and in the realm of Pokemon this means its movepool is amazing. Poison/Steel would be what, a battery? How does a battery use Trick Room? And don't even try to tell me about how it's the concept that matters because typing influences concept in so many ways, especially when that typing is Poison. Psychic, Water, those are the types that can be molded to fit almost anything. Not Poison.
Oh, and Tailwind is the most useless move this side of Splash, it only lasts for three turns, meaning you get the boost for one.

Poison/Flying and Poison/Ground do sound good though.

1st choice. Poison/Flying

All three of our previous CAP Pokemon are weak to Flying, yet the only common Flying type attacker is Togekiss from the Special side and rarely Staraptor from the Physical side. Also because Tailwind would be awesome, and most other Utility moves can be justified. I think the advantages outwiegh the disadvantage of not absorbing Toxic Spikes.

2nd choice: Poison/Dragon

This is just going to simply be fun and a Dragon can be justified to have almost any utility move simply because its a mythical Pokemon.

Yet you said "Do batteries float?". I would imagine that a battery would have no other form of locomotion.
For one, they could roll (unless it's one of those square ones). Seriously though, batteries can't move themselves via psychic power.

I've got nothing left to say, so just counter my post and win. I'm done arguing for this poll for this particular topic.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragon:
I believe that a utility pokemon should have a very unique niche, relying on resistances rather than stats (I don't think anyone wants something like Cresselia or Blissey) and forcing the player to avoid weaknesses. Poison/Dragon has enough resistances that it will frequently be a great switch-in, regardless of its stats, and it also gives some common weaknesses which mean it won't be a universal wall. I would like something similar to Lucario in that it has some of the worst weaknesses in the game but is frequently a great switch-in due to resists. Also, Revenankh and Pyroak were both given types that are very hard to hit for super effective damage, and I think this would be a nice change of pace.

Rock:
Similar to Poison/Dragon, this typing has great resists and bad weaknesses. It would also be nice to have another pokemon who can take advantage of Sandstorm, since the current candidates (barring TTar) are lacking at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)