CAP 16 CAP 5 - Part 10 - Attacking Moves Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water-type moves - Disallow. They don't synergize well with the sun and counters a lot of other pokemon that are supposed to be threats.

Ice Fang - Allow. I think it's crucial to allowing Malaconda counter dragons.

A few actual final thoughts.

The controversial moves are Ice Fang and U-turn. Keep in mind that the main concern for both of these is about the viability of both Malaconda as an individual and the strength of sun teams whether or not Malaconda exists in the OU metagame. When choosing whether to allow either of these moves, one should ask what impact Malaconda could potentially have on the viability of sun teams. Notably, I would say that the impact is what's important here. If sun is already a sleeper broken team trope, then would Malaconda change that to make it more so? If sun is flawed, then would Malaconda fix that flaw? If so, would it do too much? Keep in mind the Allowed and Disallowed lists as you think that over. Moves like Dragon Tail are already allowed, and some prominent coverage moves are disallowed. Also keep in mind some of the specific points that have been made, some of which are in this thread and many of which are in the original stat submission post. Notably, with 252 HP EVs, Malaconda can survive things like defensive Heatran's Lava Plume:

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD (custom) in sun: 290-344 (71.96 - 85.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With 252 HP / 252 Def Impish, Choice Band Dragonite's Fire Punch does 78.41 - 92.3% outside of sun, and cleanly OHKOes in the sun. On the flip side, with full investment in Attack:

252+ Atk (custom) Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 152-180 (42.93 - 50.84%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I heeded what jas said and included special Fire-type moves stronger than Hidden Power in the ban. As far as Ghost-type moves and Night Shade go, their use is so insignificant, I mean Shadow Sneak is supposed to hit Gengar and yet Gengar seems really irrelevant to this. Poison-type moves have been put in and put into Allowed, considering I guess they do still cover Breloom, and there's no restriction because Poison Jab / Cross Poison / Gunk Shot don't really strike me as worth using, even if Ice Fang is rejected.

So that's all from me. See you on the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)