CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 1 - Concept Poll 4

Which of these two concepts?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Use the clicky poll above to submit your vote. The order was decided based on number of votes received last poll.

Feel free to discuss in the thread.

Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.

Scouting is an increasingly important role in the Platinum metagame. Moves like U-Turn, Substitute and Protect are highly valued for their ability to give us such vital information as what kind of responses do your opponents have to your sweepers, what hidden moves do they have, and so forth. Getting this information early on allows you to prepare yourself for any threats your opponent has waiting in the wings and come up with a game plan. This Pokemon would probably need resistances to common attacking types, particularly ones backed up by Choice items, as those allow for the best opportunity to U-Turn and reveal a counter. It wouldn't have to have amazing offenses, but enough to scare the opponent into making some revealing switches.
Concept: Partner in Crime
Description: This Pokemon pairs up well with another, preexisting Pokemon. Similar, in base, to other Pokemon-pairings like "Celetran" or "Gyaravire." This Pokemon can work together to better accomplish one, or even both Pokemons' goals in the pairing.

I think it would be a good learning experience to see how a Pokemon we specifically built to be used with another Pokemon would work in regards to the partnered Pokemon, its effect on the metagame, and how a Pokemon works when it's got something else that can help cover it. We could discuss which Pokemon that this concept would be paired with in Concept Assessment, if it gets that far.

Magmortified

My impassioned defense of Partner In Crime:

We're all pretty aware of some of the Pokemon combinations out there: Celetran, Gyaravire, hey, Gliscor -> Metagross (even though they're pretty rare nowadays). What I want to do with PIC, is make a Pokemon combination we can really study. Something we can take note of, and see what it does. Let's see what happens for a Pokemon when it suddenly gets something great to go with it in the team-builder. How a role can be improved with two Pokemon helping to work for it.

In addition, PIC is pretty flexible as a concept; it can be anything. It can be offense, support, defense (even if I think we've got enough of that)... anything. Heck, it could be a scout in itself. It could probably even operate on a team by itself (though the idea would be for it to really shine when used in combination with its partner), and do well at it.

Let's see what we can do here.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Beej's Ultimate Scout.

There really isn't that many scouts in the current metagame so a new one would be interesting.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My impassioned defense of Partner In Crime:

We're all pretty aware of some of the Pokemon combinations out there: Celetran, Gyaravire, hey, Gliscor -> Metagross (even though they're pretty rare nowadays). What I want to do with PIC, is make a Pokemon combination we can really study. Something we can take note of, and see what it does. Let's see what happens for a Pokemon when it suddenly gets something great to go with it in the team-builder. How a role can be improved with two Pokemon helping to work for it.

In addition, PIC is pretty flexible as a concept; it can be anything. It can be offense, support, defense (even if I think we've got enough of that)... anything. Heck, it could be a scout in itself. It could probably even operate on a team by itself (though the idea would be for it to really shine when used in combination with its partner), and do well at it.

Let's see what we can do here.
That's actually my main problem with it, in that it is functionally meaningless until we assess it. It has no actual traits except those that get brought up for direction in the Assessment Stage.

GO SCOUTS!

Magmortified

That's actually my main problem with it, in that it is functionally meaningless until we assess it. It has no actual traits except those that get brought up for direction in the Assessment Stage.
I don't see what the issue with that is. Isn't being able to focus and direct the project most of the reason for the Assessment Stage?

When I looked at the poll results before voting, I was essentially scouting. After that it was clear what I had to vote for.

Go Scouts!

Either concept works for me, I'm honestly interested in both, but once again, the offensive implications of the Scouter as opposed to the probable stall from a Pokemon from PIC, I chose Beej's Ultimate Scout.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
I'm still backing my own concept. I think that in addition to the pros expressed in my explanation, the Ultimate Scout is diverse enough to let us be really creative yet it's established enough to not completely rely upon concept assessment to give us an idea of where we'll go with it.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I originally supported Partner In Crime, but I changed my vote to Ultimate Scout by the second poll for many of the reasons already stated.

"The Create-A-Pokémon project is a community dedicated to exploring and understanding the competitive Pokémon metagame by designing, creating, and playtesting new Pokémon concepts."
This is the CAP Mission Statement. I really think that the best way to go about fulfilling this statement is through Beej's concept. Partner in Crime would be fine if we didn't have this Mission Statement. But, we do, and how are we "exploring" the metagame by designing a concept that can already be seen in the aforementioned examples of Gyarados and Electivire, Celebi and Heatran, and Gliscor and Metagross? On the other hand, we don't truly have any Pokemon that epitomizes the role of 'scout'. Sure, there are Pokemon with U-turn and Pokemon with Roar, but these certainly aren't the only ways to scout your opponent's team. There may be more, but we won't know until we explore the concept at hand.

I voted for Beej's concept, the Ultimate Scout.

They're both pretty interesting, but I ended up votingn for ultimate scout. I dont want to rely on flygon and skarm to do all of my scouting any more.

Ultimate scout i think would be hard to do. Once a counter is found for it, that will be the only switch-in, which kind of defeats the purpose. But I'm still for it, I just think it will be harder to do.

Ultimate scout i think would be hard to do. Once a counter is found for it, that will be the only switch-in, which kind of defeats the purpose. But I'm still for it, I just think it will be harder to do.
it doesnt really defeat the purpose because through abilities like anticipation or frisk, or moves such as U-Turn and Roar, the switch-in to the counter can be reversed into something good.
You can use the information from that to go to YOUR counter, or save it in for more scouting, as well as pile up damage from SR, spikes and tspikes.

PIC is what I voted for, but I really don't care who wins. Both would really add some more fun, complexity and stargety to the metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)