• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Our Pokemon so far:

Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.
Type: Steel / Ghost
Ability: Frisk / Limber
Stats: 80 HP / 103 Atk / 85 Def /55 SpA /80 SpD /110 Spe

Use the clicky poll above to vote for your favorite name for CAP 7.

Options:

Kitsunoh:
I've got something solid going, I think. One was more fitting for Dougs, but not horrible here. This is the one I chose.

Kitsunoh. [Kit-soo-no] (Kitsune + Noh) Kitsune is the Japanese name for Fox. Noh is the Japanese masked theater on which No Face, the inspiration for the mask design, was based. Essentailly, its a Fox Mask that doesn't sound completely lame.

Addendum:
Kit can also mean toolkit, which is what a scout would use, or a cat. Noh is really the cultural reference I was shooting for, Kitsune just flows nicely into it. "Kit" is also an apt abbreviation, hehehehe
Foxtrot:
^

How about just Foxtrot. It is simple, has a nice ring, and is not foreign.

Final: Foxtrot.

Not everything has to be drowned with sophistication or be filled hidden meaning.
Phox:
Phox
(Phantom + Fox)

Someone had to say it.
Equinox:
I am going to submit Equinox. The design looks almost Equine (one could argue its more feline/lupine but it's my opinion), and nox sounds like Noh, the Japanese mask. Equinox also suggests night, which is pretty ghostly.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Everyone who voted for Equinox please vote for Foxtrot, its really a better name.

who are all these people voting Kitsunoh...
I'm voting for the most elegant- and mysterious-sounding name, which happens to be Kitsunoh. Stop assuming that everyone is just voting for Kitsunoh because of some obscure japanese reference. I just don't like the 'ox' sound in all the other names.

Who is voting Kitsunoh? Why must Wapanese plague every corner of the internet. :<

Voting Phox, will vote Foxtrot in the next poll if Phox doesn't make it.

Once again, the lack of BONKIT has led to Kitsunoh. Foxtrot is a nice alternative though.

Who is voting Kitsunoh? Why must Wapanese plague every corner of the internet. :<

I'm not Wapanese, I'm not Japanese, I don't want to be Japanese, I don't act like I am. I like the name better than all the others. Oh, to answer your question, I'm voting Kitsunoh.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Equinox. Kitsunoh doesn't have a hard or fluid ending, something that is notably absent from most proper nouns in the English language. Phox is far too short for my taste and Foxtrot is... no comment.

Don't really get why the language used for a name is an issue. True, it's silly to vote for a name simply because it's Japanse or whatever, and the reasons a name should appeal to you should go a bit farther than it simply being written in your favorite language. However, the inverse is also quite true; a name shouldn't simply be turned down just because it's in a language that you absolutely despise or feel is over-represented or simply overhyed. A name should simply be judged on its merits; how well it flows, fits the sprite, and so forth. If it's an excellent name, then go with it. If not, then go with the name that you do like. Simply voting for or against a name simply because of the language used to create it isn't giving it a fair shot and letting it be judged on its own merits, and thus should be avoided.

In my opinion, Kitsunoh is a quite fitting name for CAP7 and thus why I voted it. It really does describe it excellently. As Deck Knight explained, with it's meaning basically being Masked Fox, it obviously fits the artwork. However, the name also goes a bit beyond that in fitting it. The "noh" in the name came from Japanese noh theater. Being named after a kind of theater is fitting for CAP7, due to it being a scout. In theater, actors take on the roles of other peole to put on a show. Very simialrly, CAP7, as a scout, will in its own right be an actor, with people attempting to put on all types of facades with it, attempting to trick and outpredict their opponents in other to trick or force them to reveal their teams secreats. Thus, the "noh" part of the name really fits it quite excellently.

It's because of that, and not because I like or hate the language used for it or the other names, that I vote for Kitsunoh.

Foxtrot. Can I ask of Smogon, if you're not voting for Kitsunoh, vote for Foxtrot. Phox and Equinox are not winning, so why not support this incredibly witty name?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A trot is not exactly known for being a high-speed adjective. It's basically the equine version of "jog."

Also Naxte, I didn't quite mean it to have that much meaning behind it. EoE said his design came from No Face in the Miyazaki film Spirited Away, so I simply looked up what No Face was based upon, and Noh theater was the result.

Wow, thanks Exclamation Point for modifying the name to boost its appeal. I didn't think people would like the codeword base that much. Serious props to you.

So yeah, I think I'll go with Foxtrot. Over and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)