CAP 9 Prevo - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Design by Slapperfish:

Now that we got our design for Colossoil's pre-evo, let's decide on typing! Colossoil's typing, Dark/Ground, will automatically be slated. If you have any other suggestions for this design's type, this is the thread to discuss them!

You have 48 hours to discuss!

In my opinion, this design looks too timid to be pulling any underhanded or otherwise dark moves, besides maybe digging up behind prey to surprise them. I think just Ground would be best.

EDIT: There are some good points for keeping Dark/Ground in this thread, so I'd like to add that I'm OK with that as well.

EDIT 2: On the other hand, I don't like Normal/Ground at all. It's true that the tan and white colors are typical of Normal types, but good-naturedness doesn't mandate any kind of Normal typing. I just don't think it's necessary for us to tack on a Normal type when mono-Ground would suffice, and Normal/Ground suffers from the same problem mono-Ground does in changing primary typing anyways.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think keeping the typing is fine here. Before others argue that Minissoil does not look particularly menacing, I should remind people that menacing / malicious are not the only factors that influence the Dark typing. I also think that based on established patterns from Gamefreak show that changing primary typing is awkward and VERY rare (despite all of our attempts to do otherwise).

I'd just be mad if we got another Normal prevo lmao.

I think that this little fella should be pure Ground. It doesn't have the intimidation factor necessary to justify a Dark typing. It's kind of in the same boat as mons like Cacnea and Pancham, which also gain the Dark typing when they evolve. And we can always switch Colossoil's typing to Ground/Dark, just like we did with Kitsunoh.

I think pure ground works for this one. Look at those big sad eyes, he doesn't look evil at all. The fact that ssoil has dark as it's main typing is kinda annoying though so dark/ground works.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gonna nip this one in the bud: I do not see this design as timid. Yes, from the angle it's drawn, the eyes are higher in the front than the back, but that's because its head is tilted up! If we turn the image on its side like so, we can see that it still has angry-looking eyes.

Temporary File.png

I think Dark/Ground is fine considering it has red, angry-looking eyes, dark blotches on its body, and fangs.

I can definitely see it as pure Ground, but Dark/Ground can still work. If we get pure Ground, I can also see Colossoil turning Ground/Dark. If we retain the typing, we can also flip the order.

Last edited:
i'd say pure ground is tyhe best, this one isnt at all "evil" like colo, maybe even ground/rock since those flippers and the nose look kinda rocky, but Pure ground is better.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If pokemon like scraggy and inkay can be dark types I have no concerns about this guy being one too.

the original colossoil movepool also had some low level dark type flavor and zero low level ground type flavor so mono ground doesn’t really make sense to me.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm going to echo the arguments for Ground only. While there are some cute Dark types, like Scraggy and Inkay, I don't see this little Beluga as possessing the necessary personality traits and other typical design elements that constitute Dark types. To counter G-Luke's argument, Kitsunoh had its typings swapped in order to better fit a Ghost only Nohface. I personally think that Ground / Dark fits Colossoil better anyway.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
If pokemon like scraggy and inkay can be dark types I have no concerns about this guy being one too.

the original colossoil movepool also had some low level dark type flavor and zero low level ground type flavor so mono ground doesn’t really make sense to me.
I agree with this sentiment. Dark / Ground seems like the way to go here.

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'll take a weirder angle to it and suggest Normal/Ground. Considering the prevo looks a lot more good-natured, it doesn't quite have that edginess found in most Dark types.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Time for the artist's ten cents on the matter!

I definitely made the design with the intent of it being pure Ground, but I wouldn't mind sticking with what Colossoil's got if it makes things simpler. While the supporting art I made for it does show it lunging forward with its teeth bared, the only Dark-Type moves that Colossoil learns by level-up are Bite, Crunch and Pursuit, which many other Pokemon that aren't necessarily Dark-type are able to learn.

dex18's suggestion of Normal/Ground actually sounds pretty good as well, given the design's lighter coloring that's normally associated with the Normal type. The transition from good beluga baby to big bad slam-jammer narwhal also played a role when designing it, so making it part-Normal wouldn't be too far removed from my intent. It would also work well with Colossoil's level-up movepool, since it already learns moves like Body Slam, Rapid Spin and the Stockpile trinity, and gaining STAB with other moves like Double-Edge, Flail, Return and Fake Out would give it a nice boost in CAP LC.

Last edited:

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Bughouse & Quany hit the nail on the head imo, Dark/Ground is the most logical way to take this.

I'll take a weirder angle to it and suggest Normal/Ground. Considering the prevo looks a lot more good-natured, it doesn't quite have that edginess found in most Dark types.
I swear Normal comes up during every single prevo stage lmao. Also I don't think is a good correlation to make, that because it's less menacing (less, not entirely removed as Quany points out) as Normal type isn't necessarily associated with soft and gentler things. Normal/Ground is not a direction we should take.

Mono Ground is fine I suppose. I wouldn't push it but I'm not against it either.

I'd agree with many of the posts suggesting it to be pure Ground, as it doesn't really reflect the Dark type very well design-wise beyond its dark face mark. I'm also fine with Dex's idea of it being Normal/Ground, as it would fit its evolution's type order and also works with its coloration.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Sorry people, but I cannot see why everyone is so obsessed with changing the types of these guys for zero reason.

Scraggy is Dark typed. Purrloin is dark typed. Nickit is dark typed. Inkay is dark typed.

If we want to go by precedence, Sandile is also dark typed.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
All right, and that wraps up 48 hours! There is support for pure Ground as a typing, so it will be included on the slate. However, given the mechanics of adding Dark as a typing, we will also vote on the order of Colossoil's types. Before Gen. VIII, no Pokemon's primary typing became a secondary typing upon evolution.

Here is what our slate looks like:

Dark/Ground
Ground and keep Colossoil's typing Dark/Ground
Ground and update Colossoil's typing to Ground/Dark
Normal/Ground

I'll see you in the polling thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)