CAP Prevos - Monohm & Duohm - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All right, typing is in place, what abilities do you think Cyclohm's pre-evos should have? For reference, Cyclohm's abilities are Shield Dust/Static/Damp. The abilities Shield Dust/Static/Damp -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp will on the slate by default.

When submitting sets of abilities, please list them in this order:

Ability 1/Ability 2/Hidden Ability -> Ability 1/Ability 2/Hidden Ability

For instance, if you wanted to replace Damp with Overcoat on Monohm, you should nominate the ability set as Shield Dust/Static/Overcoat -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp.

You have 72 hours to discuss!

--

Monohm

image6.png
image3.png

Typing: Electric

--

Duohm

image4.png
image2.png

Typing: Electric/Dragon

Shield Dust/Static/Cloud Nine -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp

Monohm isn't a storm cloud yet, so Damp doesn't quite fit in my opinion.
Cloud Nine is basically just all flavor because... well, it's a cloud, but with Shield Dust and Static it may not really need another viable ability.

The other abilities fit fine.

Shield Dust/Fluffy/Cloud Nine -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp

Replaced Static with Fluffy since, once again, not a storm cloud

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I propose Shield Dust/Static/Cloud Nine -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp. Damp doesn't fit Monohm as it didn't become a thundercloud yet, however, the cloud motif pairs greatly with Cloud Nine (even if we consider its Japanese name, No Weather). Also, it's accordingly with Swablu/Altaria flavor as other cloud Pokémon.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I generally agree with users here that
Shield Dust / Static / Cloud Nine -> Shield Dust / Static / Damp makes a whole lotta sense. As people said its not a storm cloud so Damp is less flavorful than Cloud Nine.

Shield Dust/Static/Fluffy -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp

Monohm is still an electric type, but isn't damp yet. Our little Orb is still just a Fluffy Little Cloud.

I agree with replacing Damp, but think Fluffy is the better fit.

I disagree with Fluffy because it is strongly linked to "physical" fur (only the Bewear and Dubwool lines get it) rather to something as incorporeal as a cloud; its added Fire weakness also makes little sense for a cloud.
If Damp is to be replaced Cloud Nine seems fine.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Although both Damp and Cloud Nine tend to stay on their respective lines the whole way through, I definitely agree with the idea of Shield Dust / Static / Cloud Nine -> Shield Dust / Static / Damp. I think it's cool flavour to specify the differences between the types of clouds that each of the stages are, especially since Monohm already has a different typing, making it slightly more distinct the whole way through seems perfectly reasonable.

I think Shield Dust/Static/Damp -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp is perfectly fine - Damp does tend to stick to evolutionary lines the whole way through, and Cloud Nine seems like a more impressive ability that implies stronger magical powers than what Monohm can provide, while Damp seems sufficiently wimpy so Monohm can actually have it. Besides, all cumulus clouds are damp on the inside, are they not?

One thing I would like to say about Cloud Nine is that the ability seems to be on more... Relaxed Pokemon. Cloud Nine is an attempt to translate the pun of the Japanese name No-tenki, which can either be read as "No Tenki" (No Weather) or "Noutenki" (Carefree), and the Pokemon its attached to (:psyduck:, :lickitung:, :altaria:, :drampa:), all seem to be much more carefree than Monohm.

I see the problem Fluffy now too. So Shield Dust/Static/Damp -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp is probably good enough.

Shield Dust/Cloud Nine/Damp -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp

I agree with most people that Cloud Nine should be used because it's not a storm cloud yet, but I think we should be replacing Static. All clouds are water so damp makes perfect sense but I feel like, even though it's an electric type, static makes more sense for the storm clouds.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All right, given the amount of discussion we've had, these will be the two sets of abilities we will be polling!

Shield Dust/Static/Damp -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp
Shield Dust/Static/Cloud Nine -> Shield Dust/Static/Damp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)