CAPCON

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thought this was big enough to warrant it's own thread. Idk. I've been disoriented with Smogon lately.

Prologue

It has been nearly 2 years since the creation of the Create a Pokemon Server. The big man DougJustDoug pops in and announces that he is ready to implement Cyclohm, the latest CAP addition to a plethora of pokemon sporting rather strong abilities, typing, and stat distribution. Cyberzero, the man leading its creation, steps up and fights valiantly against well renowned tennisace, an icon of the CAP community itself. Within the server, there are his comrades, Plus and Beej, giving him advice on how to incorporate the electric hydra into his team. The largest breakthrough, however, was convincing this young lad not to use Stockpile Gastrodon.

The CAP Server, while occasionally looked down upon by many, had a culture of its own. In the eyes of others, it was a backup to the Official Server, and shortly after, Smogon University -- nothing but a hodgepodge of fanboys and bigoted server moderators who didn't know their place in the Smogon's empire. Despite this, the members of the server knew that they had what was most important when playing within a community -- to enjoy themselves. And it is this alone that is what many have forgotten, amidst the constant complaints about hax and the whining of Smogon's supposed corrupt power system.

Two years have passed since that day. Four years have passed since the creation of CAP itself. Each went our own separate paths, only clinging to whatever connection we had left via Facebook. One of our friends, Bobtheball4, had recently contacted us with information that he would be flying in from Hawaii to New York City in order to perform in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with his Marching Band. It was then that our ragtag group of shoddy friends had decided we would all meet up in NYC during Black Friday. And thus, the story begins...

Dream Team:

CODENAME: ZACH

Self appointed leader of the pack, mainly because he's writing this thing up. In order to inflate my ego, I will now boast about my accomplishments in CAP. I created Colossoil, the monstrous Ground/Dark Narwhal of mother fucking doom. I was the 24/7 watchdog of the CAP Server for the most part, probably since I had nothing better to do back then. It was still very fun. Furthermore, I formed team Premenstrual Syndrome with teammates Beej and Magmortified as we stormed the CAP ladder, occupying the top 3 spots on the ladder at the time, each of us having about a 1700 CRE each. And before any of you vomit from my bragging, know that I did not do any of these things for that reason, but rather to have fun.

Zach is definitely not as vocal as he is on the internet, and pretty much appears as a typical asian teenager.

CODENAME: MINUS

My right hand man. Not sure if he wants me to disclose any further information on him, so I'll just refer to him as my brother Minus. Basically, we've been bros since elementary school, and I kind of dragged him into the CAP server when I was still active. Nice to have him along, though, as he's definitely a chill person to be around. No accomplishments, really, he wasn't a hardcore player like everyone else, he was just there to talk and hang out on occasion.

CODENAME: ARMAN

The real leader of the pack, and the icebreaker as well. Because you know, it's pretty fucking awkward when you meet up with people you've known on the internet for the first time (we will touch upon this subject as I tell the story). As for accomplishments, Arman created Cyclohm, the Electric/Dragon "cute" pokemon of CAP. If anything, when I first met this kid I deemed him as the ideal average user, and I'm really not sure whether that should be a compliment or not. Nevertheless, he grew to become a major playing force in the inner workings of CAP, and later became a Server Moderator after my leave.

In real life, Arman is the most talkative of the group, and was also our tour guide for the most part, since he goes to college in NYC and also grew up there. Without him, the whole trip would have been a failure.

CODENAME: TAREN

Black man #1. Taren was another server regular back in CAP 2008-9, and merely came on the server to play some battles and to chat with us. He does not have a Smogon account, and was never as active as people such as cyber or myself. Nonetheless, I had a blast meeting him despite how quiet he was. I would often see him during the late hours of the server, helping keep the chat safe from spammers and Portuguese people. Seriously, thanks for everything man.

CODENAME: MAX

He's the one on the right, obviously. I will dub him as the stoner white guy who cracks wiseass jokes from time to time. Honestly though, Beej was a major asset to CAP when he was active. He led the creation of CAP 10 Krillowatt, the Water/Electric shrimp with Magic Guard (yes, Magic Guard) and was a Server Moderator as well. Being more eloquent in the English language than I was, Beej was able to get his point across in CAP policy without incessant cursing and rage. If anything, Beej and I were ridiculously tight with each other and we would talk for hours on end about the dumbest shit ever on MSN. I really miss those days.

In real life, Beej is, well, a stoner white guy who cracks wiseass jokes from time to time. He ditched us to get high, that asshole. I don't blame him though. He is a bro at heart.

CODENAME: JERAY

Black man #2. 6'1". 200 pounds. Has a scary face. Apart from all that, he's the nicest guy out of the pack -- the epitome of big friendly giant. Back in the day, Lunar Fang was a talented battler and gave everyone a run for their money on the ladder. He was a dedicated server regular as well, and really had no enemies when he was frequenting the community.

Jeray was helpful in scaring white women into taking group pictures for us. Also he came late because he went shopping with his grandma. No, I'm not kidding.

CODENAME: BOB JAMES

The man who started the idea of CAPCON. As this would probably be our only chance to meet up with this Hawaiian, we all made an effort to travel to NYC. Bob James and I went a long way back, even before the days of CAP. Dedicated to CAP since CAP 2 (around the same time I started to frequent), Bob James has been a loyal member to CAP, in a way comparable to a lovable stuffed teddy bear, if I were to make an analogy. To this day, he still remains one of my internet friends I talk to most.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DISCLAIMER: Might be a bunch of tl;dr. If you want to see pictures, then look towards Part 2.

Part 1
Group: Max, Minus, Zach, Arman, Taren

Seven a.m., waking up in the morning
Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs
Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal
Seein' everything, the time is goin'
Tickin' on and on, everybody's rushin'
Gotta get down to the bus stop
Gotta catch my bus, I see my friends

Because that's literally what happened. Hell, it was even Friday to boot! Minus and I were to catch a 9:20 bus to NYC from NJ. He drops by my house at like 7:00 fully dressed while i'm still in my pajamas. He jacks my laptop and starts watching Youtube videos while I go and fix up some breakfast for the both us. I finish brushing my teeth and get dressed, then we arrive and wait at the bus stop at around 9. We almost got on a bus to Atlantic City, which would be nice if we wanted to pick up some hookers, but tonight was a bro's night out. Our bus driver was on drugs -- he smelled of it and drove like a madman. While it would usually take a 1 hour 15 minutes bus ride to Port Authority on 42nd, he cut the time in nearly half as we got there in 40 minutes flat. We were to meet up at the GameStop near Macy's on 34th at 11:00, but we had arrived in NYC at 10. We took a casual stroll around the city, and it was pretty nice until we approached 34th, which was obviously crowded due to the Black Friday sales. Nonetheless, we squeezed our way into the GameStop at around 10:55, and much to our dismay, no one had showed up.

It was 11:10, and I had called Arman asking for his whereabouts, as he stated the day before that he would be early. His train was delayed, but we found each other right after I called. At first, I could tell that he was a very nice person, but we both knew that the next couple hours would be very awkward.

And we were right. Out of nowhere, this a small black man appears out of nowhere, right behind my back. In the midst of a conversation with Arman, we initially thought that a freak has popped out among us. But we soon realized that the man was none other than our comrade Taren. We were playing around with the XBox 360 and the Wii downstairs, when I suddenly felt a vibration within my pants. Yes, I had received a text message from Max at around 11:30 informing us that he would be there within half an hour.

And so, we continued playing video games downstairs until the stoner white guy who occasionally cracks wiseass jokes came. With a party of five, we decided to go grab some lunch from around the street. Arman wanted chicken and rice for lunch, but Max insisted that we should get Halal food instead. Arman pointed out that they were infact the same thing, so our group sat right outside the GameStop (which is on Herald Square) and began to eat. However, as we were in NYC, odd things were surely to come our way.

A poorly dressed old woman (a beggar) approached our table and showed us a flyer inquiring about her lost son, and stating that she needed pocket change in order to help find him. The story didn't even make sense in the first place, and we all tried our best to ignore her, until Max told her politely to fuck off. (In reality, he just manned up and said "sorry, mam.") We were all awkwardly sitting and eating on a small table about 2.5 feet in diameter, with none of us really talking to each other while we ate. We all stared at Taren in particular, who had a ridiculously wimpy appetite that was almost laughable. Obviously, being the kind fellows we were, chose not to make a comment whatsoever about his appetite.

After we finished lunch, there was no agenda on our schedule. Arman decided that we go chill out and talk about life at Madison Square Park (not garden). What it essentially devolved into was five teenagers sitting next to each other watching silently as little kids were playing with leaves with their parents. To break the ice, Arman decided to talk about girl problems with us, to which I won't disclose any information about since it is personal, but you get the drift. It was pretty damn weird. To add to the awkwardness of the trip, we agreed to walk 30 fucking blocks to Dunkin' Donuts. For what, you ask? To chill out. Yep.

On the way to Dunkin' Donuts, Arman pointed out an excellent cookie store called "Insomnia Cookies" that sold high quality cookies for a respectable price. We had also walked into various hipster looking stores as Arman expressed a great desire to buy a scarf in order to fit in with the NYU crowd at his school, in which he stated that half of the guys there were gay. Bold statement, dude!

At Dunkin' Donuts, Arman had called Jeray asking where the hell he was, as he promised to be there at 11. He responded by saying he was shopping with his Grandma, and that he was now waiting at the Gamestop on 34th, while we were stationed at 12th street. We had to backtrack all the way to GameStop in order to meet up with him, which was very tedious. In a span of about 4 hours, we all knew that CAPCON was going to be a failure.

And where was James during all of this? He was at the Statue of Liberty with his band members. Later, he told us he went shopping with them at Times Square while we were sitting around at Madison Square Park. To add to the frustration, he later chimed in that he could not stray from his group to meet us, and that we would have to meet him instead.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
Part 2

Group: Jeray, Arman, Zach, Taren, Minus

Taren quickly pointed out while walking back to Gamestop that there was actually a Dunkin Donuts right around the corner a couple streets off from Madison Square Park. =)

On the bright side, following that abomination of the first half of our meetup, we met up with Jeray at Gamestop after a long winded walk around Manhattan. Sadly, Max said he had a party to attend and needed to leave in an hour. We received a call from James, saying that he would be at the Nintendo Store at Rockefeller Center. Growing weary, we took the subway, where we eventually parted ways with Max while the rest of the group went chasing after James.

Oh my god! Picture time, finally!

Taren and James

Zach and James

Arman and James

Jeray and James

We met up with James at the Nintendo Store, only to find out that he would have to leave in 15 minutes for a showing of the Lion King. However, while we were disappointed, we were still happy that we managed to chase down a Hawaiian in the midst of a crowd of people and take pictures with him, even if they are really shitty and blurry. After he left, we took more pictures at the Nintendo Store. Things were beginning to be less awkward as we began to make crude jokes with one another.

8 inches.

"Why did this one game take up so many years of my life"

Pulling out the Master Sword

Picture with TIGGER at Rockefeller

Link just became more ghetto.

As it was getting darker, Arman decided that it would be cool to get food from a street vendor again for dinner, only this time from a famous place known as the Halal Guys. Yes, we had chicken over rice again, because everybody knows it is freaking awesome. The line was ridiculously long, as the line nearly spanned the whole street length. Minus handed the vendor a 20 and got 3 dollars back when he should have gotten 13, and realized that he got hustled by the vendor. He tried to argue with him, but apart from his middle eastern accent and the growing line of customer, he realized his efforts to get the 10 dollars back were in vain. As we ate on the streets, we had promised to make it up to him somehow.

It wasn't that hard to cheer Minus up. Just give him some water to poke at and he'll be fine.

After dinner, we went to UNIQLO to buy cheap yet effective Christmas presents for our parents. If you don't know, UNIQLO is a Japanese based clothing brand that has really good material for their clothing. They even had windproof jeans!

Sadly, Arman did not buy this wonderfully witty t-shirt.

After shopping, we decided to finish the day with our last chill out session, only this time at McDonalds. By that time, we were talking to each other like we knew each other for years, because we really did.

By 9:00, we had said our goodbyes on the Subway, and it was apparent that the day actually was a success. It might have started out slow, but we sure had a blast by the end.

The time was 11:00. My bus was delayed because of the holiday schedule. It was a weary day, and Minus and I sat quietly on the way home until he had an epiphany and told me that by counting up his money, he did infact give the street vendor a 10 rather than a 20, and that he actually received the correct change. I smiled, and went back into a light sleep.

By the time I got home, I rummaged through my old pictures of shoddy battle. Among the pictures I reminisced over the time I spent at the CAP server. It might not mean a lot to anyone else, but this was a stage of my life. It's only until you look back that you realize that those awkward people you hung out with today were actually some of your closest friends. And for that reason, CAPCON was a success.

The end.

This was really heartwarming! I was feeling secondhand embarrassment for you at first, but at the end it all went well, which was great. :) Happy ending! It's nice to think that, despite all following your own paths, you met again.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't know any of you CAP dudes but meeting up with Smogonites is always a fun time and that's what it looks like you had =) Nice to see those Suicune shirts still haven't sold out since I was last in New York!

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i really like this thread, nice read and very heartwarming. Amazing the bonds we've made over the years
it seems we grow out of everything except for those bonds. We become less active, we are not even into the games as much anymore and yet we find ourselves giving up money and making trips just to meet the people at the other end of these bonds.

couldn't agree with firestorm more and now i am even more excited for nationals/worlds, cant wait to see all my "pokemon/internet" friends again. VGC is the only time i am really ever active and its because of the people, the actual tournament is like a plus

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i really really like this thread

good write-up, i enjoyed your honesty and your insight into the transition from hanging out together online and then doing so irl

having met a fair number of people i know from the internet i can totally relate to that moment when you start behaving with one another like you've known each other for years, because you really have. i think when you meet someone you've "known" for ages there are always a ton of ways in which they aren't to your expectations, largely because the medium through which you previously communicated was purely text or audio or whatever -- because the picture was incomplete, not because you read them wrong

then you spend some time with them and you start to recognise all their tics and whatnot that define the person you've known for so long, only in their "real life" iterations, and you settle back more comfortably into the relationship you've actually had with that person all along

aaaaaaa i'm so envious of you americans with your big nats/worlds

great thread :heart:

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
oh come on AZ, if super cute boys Kinneas and Gec can make it to worlds so can you

also worlds just happens to be in Hawaii this year, Hawaii!

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This makes me hunger for another big Vancouver Smogon meet up. People not named Eraddd, Articuno64, Firestorm, and Caffwin need to show up also (points fingers at Ninahaza)!

Coming back from retirement temporarily to say that this was absolutely awesome. Great write-up, Plus, it was pretty damn accurate, and thanks for a great time.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Great story remarkable plum hero! The flavour was pretty neat. My favorite part was about Minus realizing that he tried to hustle the vendor. I'm not going to let him live that one down. Good to know you had fun bro!

I'm really only sad I missed the awkward greetings; I was looking forward to it. Overall, still had plenty of fun. No kidding about that "I've known you all forever" feeling; it was candid. We definitely should do it again - hopefully with a few new faces (Favorite part btw: Nerding out at Nintendo World...I could actually be myself, haha). Plus, awesome job sir.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)