Other Metagames Carrying The Torch - A STABmons RMT (Peak #1 and #2)

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways

By xJownage and Betathunder

Recently, Beta and I decided we would like to build a team and peak some OM ladder. With Josh running away to Mexico or whatever, we wanted to make a team to honor his memory, dank memes, and beautiful face. We decided to create a STABmons team, since Josh rather enjoyed STABmons and we were good enough at the tier already. We dove in head first, and never looked back after building our team. After an intense teambuilding session that took place over the course of two days, we came up with a very successful hyper offense team, utilizing both overused and underrated threats to get the job done. The team focuses around abusing powerful threats to break through common cores while using less common threats to deal with unexpected obstacles. Most of our thoughts revolved around dealing with very common threats and cores that beat ours, and how we can beat them as efficiently as possible to pave the way for quick wins. This type of team can possibly lose at team preview, but tends to do very well on the ladder, where unusual threats aren’t often found, and in tours, because it takes a very specific strategy to beat the team. As a result, we went a combined 76-14 on the ladder, including Beta’s 29-2, in the process of double peaking the STABmons ladder in honor of esteemed user Joshz. Yes, this RMT is dedicated to that cunt, Joshz.

Background:
xJownage: Joshz is a shit user that I will always remember in this community. I didn’t know Josh very well before August, but when he and a couple of my friends said they were starting a new skype chat, I knew I wanted in. In the first call I was in, it was apparent that this was going to be a fun group of friends. So as we all bitched about everything, lived memes, created inside jokes, and generally trolled the whole community, we all bonded over a shitty kids game designed for 8 year olds. Me and Beta became a bit closer back in the old days of the Black Salami meme, and we’ve been having a blast ever since.

Betathunder: My first time meeting esteemed user Josh was back in the Other Metas chat. His name popped out at me since coincidentally my own name is Josh, so I immediately knew he would be a cool guy. I got more close with him through late August and September, and one day he added me to a skype group with some pretty chill people. I became close with everyone in the group, especially xJownage, since his terrible humor appealed to me. Although Josh has disappeared, I still remain close with all these individuals, and couldn’t be happier with the outcome.​

Specs Keldeo was something we both wanted to use as soon as we decided which tier to build; it has been criminally underrated as of late and we immediately agreed to make a team showcasing how ridiculous this thing is.

+

In building around Keldeo, we realized that we wanted something that could function as both a wincon and a hole puncher that could soft-check a lot of Keldeo’s common switch-ins, such as Thundurus and fakespeed abusers, which made Excadrill a good addition. It was also nice to gain a spinner early in the process, which we knew would make teambuilding significantly easier later on.

At this point, we had our Offensive core. Betathunder had experience with the core, but we hit builder’s rut for a short time period. We were unsure of where to go, in regards to mega evolutions and what we wanted to do with the slot, such as fakespeed check, special sweeper, etc. Eventually, I remembered something from a STABmons tournament I participated in, in which each round, a certain banned mon was unbanned.

+
+

Mega Slowbro is usually seen using a physically defensive support or Calm Mind set, but I remember from the aforementioned tournament about how effective specially offensive 3 attacks Mega Slowbro was. Now that it was unbanned, this team provided a perfect opportunity to use the set. Even with no defense investment, Mega Slowbro still retains the ability to check fakespeeders and many physical attackers while exerting strong offensive pressure on mons that wouldn’t normally fear it.

+
+
+

After Slowbro, we knew the team needed a solid Thundurus check, and specifically, a check for fastmons that plague the STABmons metagame; Specs Keldeo can’t check these mons like scarf can. The addition of Scarf Kyurem-Black gave us a key electric resist, and its high natural bulk and power allow it to check many threatening sweepers, such as Thundurus, Lopunny, and LO Gyarados.

+
+
+
+

No Hyper offensive STABmons team is complete without priority, and we really felt we needed priority for this team. Porygon-Z was the priority user of choice, mostly because of Beta’s insistence that it was a monster with a mixed set, and it played as such. Pory-Z also creates another wincon for the team, being able to fire off very powerful attacks if it gets off a Work Up.

+
+
+
+
+

My instincts told me that we needed a rock setter, as Keldeo in particular heavily benefitted from hazard support. Tyranitar was added for a powerful dark-type offensive presence with Rocks that had the ability to damage many common leads, knock off items, and annoy foes while providing sand for Excadrill, giving it much more immediate power. A strong Dark Type presence is key on great STABmons teams and Tyranitar provided it for the team.

The team was complete and we felt very confident in its abilities at first glance. So, I started us off with our first ladder match, a great moment for us, right? Of course, this was happening right before one of the STABmons mono Tours, and of course, our first matchup was against mono-fighting. As you could see, we sort of lost at team preview to anything Slowbro couldn’t wall, and the presence of Virizion confirmed this assumption. Other things we noted was that the team lacked a solid specially bulky pivot to create more opportunities for our smashers to do their jobs; Slowbro is isolated in a role involving some sort of defensive synergy. While Tyranitar and Kyurem provided some support, the ability of them to function the way we wanted just didn’t exist with them. We also wanted our own Keldeo check, or at least, something we could bring in to pivot out of Keldeo. Furthermore, there was the fact that we didn’t have any way to tank spore, and nothing on the team could really afford to be put to sleep lest we risk a wincon or check to key threats. It would be nice to use a specially defensive grass type to spread and stop Spores, check Keldeo, set rocks, and pivot out of threats to help our sweepers win matches. Sound familiar?

+
+
+
+
+

Celebi was the perfect mon for the role we wanted, providing pivot support, rocks, a Keldeo check, a Spore absorber, and a Spore spreader all in one slot. Celebi’s multiple means of pivoting means it does not lose momentum, which was a major hurdle with this slot. Having both Healing Wish and Spore support, as well as a sleep absorber, made this too hard to pass up. Now we KNEW the team was complete.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse

- Secret Sword
- Vacuum Wave

Keldeo is one of the most threatening mons in standard pokemon battling, and most OMs make it borderline broken. Keldeo is an elite mon in almost every tier it’s not banned in, from OU to Mix-and-Mega to Inheritance. Keldeo’s unique offensive typing and great special offensive stats, as well as Secret Sword’s ability to hit on both sides of the spectrum, make it a major threat in every metagame. STABmons makes Keldeo even more threatening, giving it an insanely powerful and extremely spammable Water Spout. With Choice Specs attached, Water Spout allows Keldeo to do absurd amounts of damage to most mons that normally check it, often making coverage unnecessary. This lack of coverage need also allows Keldeo to gain an important fighting STAB in Vacuum Wave, which turns into a decently powerful special priority move with Specs’ power boost. As a result, Keldeo becomes an extremely dominant force on this team. Many battles turn into abusing Keldeo to get free kills whenever it can get in, and then attempting to switch into its checks with the rest of the team. Keldeo is a great mon to build around in the STABmons metagame because of its extremely powerful Water Spout and ability to break the common ChansSkarm stall cores due to its ability to hit on both sides of the spectrum, while providing immense pressure on all teams every time it gets off an attack. In all honesty, this is probably a ban-worthy threat that destroys most of the ladder.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear / Autotomize
- Gear Grind

- Earthquake / Precipice Blades
- Rapid Spin / Rock Slide

Excadrill is one of many Shift Gear abusers that warped the metagame to such an extent that the move was banned within the past week. Excadrill provides this team with a great win condition alongside mold breaker Ground STAB, while retaining the ability to get rid of Stealth Rock with Rapid Spin. Excadrill maintains significant offensive presence and utility without boosting, allowing it to safely run Life Orb. Gear Grind is a great STAB, being able to break subs and hit resists hard, while Earthquake is a more reliable 100% accuracy STAB. Earthquake > Precipice Blades is preference, but having one reliable STAB is somewhat important when referring to a win condition, as a miss can destroy what would be a surefire win. Precipice doesn’t make any significant KOs that Earthquake can’t, boosted or unboosted, making it a generally beneficial tradeoff. Rock Slide is an option over Rapid Spin, hitting Zapdos, Thundurus, etc. for important KOs, but is generally not the preferred option for this team due to its lack of power and the inability to run rapid spin. Thundurus is OHKO’d after rocks by +1 Gear Grind, making that a less relevant target anyways, and Zapdos is 2hko’d after Rocks either way. Adamant is chosen for both of the KOs mentioned before, and because the general power boost is nice even if you aren’t using Shift Gear. Jolly can be chosen to better handle Rotom-W, which burns or hits with a scald if it runs max speed. Overall, this is a very solid wincon behind Keldeo that takes advantage of many passive mons used to check Keldeo.

Post-banning, Shift Gear can be replaced with Autotomize to retain cleaning ability to some extent.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpA
Modest Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast

Mega Slowbro is known at doing one thing really, really well in STABmons. It walls everything. A very large portion of the significant offensive metagame is walled by Mega Slowbro, mostly due to the over-reliance of offense on priority and fast hits. All fakespeeders bar Porygon-Z are walled by Slowbro, and as a result, this is an integral part of the team. Most Slowbro sets are known for being defense invested to take as little as possible both pre-mega and from boosted attacks. When building the team, however, it was apparent that we would need our team to play in a hyper offensive format - Keldeo and Excadrill together won’t work well on a balance team, especially with dual waters. Therefore, we absolutely could not afford to lose momentum. Back in the beginning of ORAS, Jownage was one of the main reasons Mega Slowbro got banned - it’s outrageous bulk and versatility was brought into light during the slew of bans of new megas pre-move ban. Before this ban, I exploited this mon very heavily in several tournaments, using various sets from CM to Water Spout, but had great success using a specially offensive set. This set derives from those days. Ice Beam is not chosen for the set due to a lack of relevant foes to hit - we wanted to OHKO Mega Lopunny and not allow Scizor to Shift Gear, or Ferrothorn to set spikes. Psystrike and Fire Blast were necessary move choices. The spread invests in defense so that it avoids being 2hko’d from +2 Adamant Mega Lopunny, which was an important standard when making this team: Mega Lopunny is a massive threat. Slowbro provides this team with a lot of utility being able to switch into many common threats while exerting pressure on opponents, preventing a loss of momentum. Switching in on fakespeeders is amazing for an offensive team, making this one of the most valuable mons on the team.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head

Kyurem-Black, known as Kyube by many, is often seen as overshadowed in standard tiers due to its lack of physical ice stab and barren physical movepool in general. STABmons has fixed that, and makes Kyube very threatening. Most sets run Dragon Dance and a boosting item, such as Life Orb, to maximize damage output and turn Kyube into a menacing stallbreaker. We looked at a different side of Kyube while teambuilding: its immense offensive power as a scarfer, and specifically, its ability to quickly clean teams with little or no support due to its very high natural bulk and power. Our Adamant Scarf set is known by us as Black Salami. Black Salami abuses a very powerful STAB Outrage to clean opposing teams, and retains strong priority due to an adamant nature and its unnaturally high base attack. Adamant nature was chosen to maximize damage output due to the lack of relevant scarfers in Black Salami’s speed tier; most scarfers that run Jolly already outspeed. The only scarfer that’s common that it doesn’t beat is Positive nature Hoopa-Unbound, which it can often live an attack from anyway. Furthermore, most fast sweepers can be revenged by Porygon-Z, making Jolly less necessary and making us choose for more cleaning power. Kyube is always a great choice in STABmons, and Black Salami epitomizes everything a scarfer should be in the tier.

Porygon-Z @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 156 Atk / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Work Up

Porygon-Z is a valuable revenge killer in STABmons, and provides an important normal type abuser and revenge killer for the team. Porygon-Z has always been a very threatening mon in STABmons, spending most of its time as illegal due to the extreme overpoweredness of Shell Smash sets, which were basically unwallable. Work up is actually a functioning substitute, due to boosting extremespeed enough to OHKO many common offensive threats, but also making boomburst incredibly powerful and effective. +1 Boomburst has the ability to easily 2HKO even Spdef Ferrothorn, Chansey, and many other special walls. You may question the use of a mono-normal set, but the ability for Porygon-Z to get so much done in a tier lacking ghost types that take advantage of its presence makes this set more than worth it. Silk Scarf maximizes damage output, and the attack investment allows it to get some key KOs such as Thundy after Rocks. The speed investment is just enough to outspeed modest Sylveon, a competing mixed fakespeeder (despite much less power), and several other slowmons that it can hit with Boomburst safely. Betathunder provided the spread for this mon, and it has worked wonders. Work up retains the ability to sweep teams without a ghost type, so this mon is a very threatening revenge killer with a nasty special attack that demolishes everything that tries to wall it.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish / Recover
- Spore
- U-turn / Recover

If there’s one thing we’ve learned while making this team, it’s that Celebi is VERY underrated. SpDef Celebi’s ability to pivot in and out of special attackers, spread sleep, and absorb opposing spores makes it a very valuable member of the team. This Keldeo set is a prime example of set specialization, something many common teambuilders miss out on: Changing a mon’s set to fit what a team needs rather than using the recommended moveset can be the difference in between winning and losing, and I remember several matches in which if we ran Recover on this set, we would’ve lost or been in a very bad position. Running Healing Wish is very important, allowing Celebi to psuedo spinblock and restore a sweeper. Having Keldeo abuse rejuvenated Water Spouts end game can finally break cores that may otherwise still stand strong. Kyube also becomes a fierce cleaner with the ability to tank fakespeed as it fires off scarf attacks. Spore spreading is extremely good on this team, especially since it gives Celebi more turns of Lefties recovery. Stealth Rock setting is very important for this team, as is having a reliable fighting check, which is why Celebi is such an important member of the team.

Mega Diancie is a massive threat to the team, mostly because it barrels over our normal means of checking special attackers. Kyube lacks the ability to OHKO it, even after rocks, due to being unable to hit it with outrage. This mon requires us to set up Excadrill or sack something in order to win. Celebi can’t check it like it can most special attackers either, due to Mega Diancie’s abuse of Magic Bounce. With enough chip damage, Kyube revenges it, otherwise we are forced to rely on spamming priority moves and playing super conservative with Kyube in hopes it can stay alive for long enough to revenge Mega Diancie late game.

Mega Scizor is a mon that is normally handled by Slowbro with ease, however, Pin Missile variants give this team hell. Luckily for us, Pin missile is generally a shitty option (don’t try to argue otherwise, it’s a losing argument) on Mega Scizor due to the lack of coverage, but if a team is running Pin Missile on their MegaZor, and it gets set up, it’s probably a race to see if we can revenge it with switch-stalling and priority spamming, alongside 50/50s with roost if it’s carrying that too. This is generally one of the worst matchups for this team.

Offensive Gyarados is a massive pain in the ass to this team because it gets free kills most of the time it’s out. It has the bulk to tank Psystrike without too much trouble, and Life Orb Adamant Dragon Ascent at +1 does a shitton of damage to MegaBro. We can revenge kill it with Pory-Z, especially after a Dragon Ascent, but otherwise there is no realistic way to handle this besides sacking something if it has any means of getting off a dragon dance.

yelawolf

I still remember the old days of bitching about how STABmons was going down the shitter and shit. That first day, when I showed you Black Salami, I remember the first thing you said after “what the fuck?”. You literally asked me how we could get away with posting it on PS! That was amazing and I will remember that forever. We bonded pretty fucking quickly over the living meme that is Goalie and gxk’s shitty, hourly ‘IM TOP 3’ bullshit and how he apparently was incapable of doing math and asked us every 5 seconds. We have had so many great moments that it really hurts me to see you go. You will be missed by Black Salami especially.

Rhythms
You’re so young I feel uncomfortable just being around you, but whatever. Man, it’s been a blast to be around you for the past few months. We have probably had the most calltime of the entire group, spent mostly just being dicks towards each other, and once we switched to Discord, you spamming +++ in every text box because of push-to-talk. Hell, we don’t even talk mons that much; most of my time with you is spent discussing whether or not we would rather eat shit that tastes like ice cream or ice cream that tastes like shit. Love it.

baconbagon
FUCK THIS TIER it’s nice to say that you’re one of the only people I actually talk mons with in the chat besides Beta, and I appreciate the intelligence you bring to our conversations that we don’t have. It’s a lot of fun for us to just hang around, bitching about STABmons and the power abuse of a mod that will remain unnamed. I really don’t talk to you enough, you’re a good influence on my skill and seriousness and keep me from getting locked pretty often tbh.

GonxKillua
Okay so #1 please stop asking us about your fucking math homework its annoying as balls and #2 you’re not top 3 you’re like top 1000 at best. In all seriousness, I still remember the old times of being in calls listening to your constant spam of “wow you’re so bad” and leaving every time we talked about anything not related to mons. The hilarity with your drama is part of what makes the group so much fun to be a part of, and we all love it.

Peef Rimgar
I was friends with you before you were even OM auth or anything, when you were first getting involved in the community. It was before the first Inh OMotM. It’s hard to believe it’s been only a year since that time, and despite the number of times I’ve made you mute me in OMs, I still had a great liking to you. Then I saw you in one of the calls in the group chat, and it went on from there since you no longer had to mute me for being a bitch. It’s been fun as balls, and the conversations we’ve been able to have about shit topics we didn’t have before in the OM room, such as the shitton of would you rathers and alternatives to Black Salami, have made for a great time.

Deathly ♛The King
TALK IN CALLS I still remember you from when I first started participating in OMs about a year and a half ago. The fact that you have no auth in OMs is a travesty; you’re smart and level-headed. Otherwise, it’s fun to troll with you because you’re basically a 10 year old to play with and make to feel uncomfortable, which is one of the things that I really love doing as you know. When I saw you join the group chat I was like yaas, since you were somebody who I regularly talked to on PS. Now I get to make you uncomfortable in Discord calls too! Yay!

Other regulars from the Group Chat - Zangooser Megazard jeran Twix Dream Eater Gengar MAMP Whis PocketTrigger

It’s been a fucking blast to hang out with everybody in this chat for so long, and I will cherish these memories. This amazing group of idiots spamming memes and shitty inside jokes has been a truly bright place and I love hanging out with this group. HEY NOW WE HAVE A GROUP RMT #swag

Others:
Eevee General - Starting from the top, right? GO FUCKS! That was just for you, even though i still hate Sherman.

Snaquaza Thank you so much for giving me chances when I didn’t deserve it. Thank you so much for putting me on Inheritance council and entrusting me with the Viability rankings while I was still an edgy, abrasive piece of shit. And yes, I still am. :)

Ransei Mix-and-Mega is a shit tier don’t play it. Also you’re a shitty auth. Love you bby :()

Chopin Alkaninoff we go back further than the Inheritance days, and I always find your analysis of things refreshing. You tend to make me rethink my positions on all topics, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Kingslayer2779 YOU NEVER BUILT MY TS TEAM! Okay so what are we gonna abrasively argue about next? I was thinking about how Shift Gear wasn’t broken in stabmons, but any opinion you have, just let me know because I’m sure I’ll find a way to argue.

Lcass4919 There’s not enough offense in this community, we need to enlighten people with our edginess.

motherlove So many memories of Inheritance Ubers with you, including that one battle I know you still have the replay for (send it to me pls) in which we made shittalking seem like baby talking.

Dr. Phd. BJ Hey, when MnM is a permaladder, we can make all the MnM teams we want! Let’s go make more MnM teams while we listen to random trap on yt, half of it shit, and you get a computer so we can actually skype call. OK?

Akumeoy Those early Inheritance days created some great memories with me. I still remember that first tournament that we abused Keldeo and how we single-handedly got it banned in the matter of a few days. We had a shitton of battles and it’s always fun going against you.

Ghoul King I need to tell you something. I used to hate you. No, I’m not kidding. I thought you were unnecessarily obnoxious and jumped into every argument you saw (even though I did the same thing). Well now, you’re amazing on the forums, providing insight and analysis that nobody else can. You’re a great person to be around and there’s nobody else I want running MnM going forward.

Everybody else in the OM room: GummyPotato Adrian Marin unfixable E4 Flint imas234 DarkeKnight Kl4ng grurk SpartanMalice Uselesscrab Pikachuun InfernapeTropius11 OM room Funbot28 tysequaine
As much as I bash on how shit the OM room has become, It’s really a great place because of those who I’ve mentioned here who make it a fun place to be. Without these people, this community would be nothing compared to what it is now. That’s a good thing. Let’s continue to make Oms a better place.

yelawolf - It’s still your move in that chess match on facebook, but in all seriousness please come back

Rhythms - let me see that video of you again k thx

GonxKillua - not top 3 in the game but #1 in my heart <3

Peef Rimgar - Global voice when?

Zangooser - I CHOSE THE MUSHROOM

baconbagon - AG master tier :))))

Megazard - Haven’t talked as much recently, but shoutout to the PU lord himself.

jeran - im top 2 in oms!!

Dream Eater Gengar - fuck high jump miss (return of schoolgirl when??)

Whis - TRIVIA GOD

Goalie - <3

SirSkit - Chimplup o3o

Vicky the Shitlord - #Vicky the Shitlord: something about me being the gayest person in existence idk

Suspense - baton pass :s

Technetium43 - Ruthenium44

Crestfall - high how are you?

Dr Ciel - haven’t talked much in a while but hi :]

s h m u r d e r | shaiike hi bae :]

Private_PenQuin: Visit me sometime :]]

Red OP-Chan: gimp bae

Feliburn nape sux

vlmufa best builder in the game <3

PocketTrigger kek

People who should come back: aesf Temperarious Snaquaza

Cool OM people: LaxLapras Deathly ♛The King Dr. Phd. BJ Ransei Eevee General The Immortal Illusio AllJokesAside BetaHousing Klang Kid Wizard @TIBot unfixable manu 11 E4 Flint imas234 Chopin Alkaninoff Lcass4919 xJownage Kingslayer2779

Cool 1v1 People: Rumpelstiltskin Glyx Piccolo Uselesscrab Corey

Cool Mono People: Omega-Xis14 CapnSlinky Clearly BlackSchwan Snxwy SirSkit jiggle From Pallet Town Death God Anubis Bondie

DEVIOUS DIANCIES: Articuno I Tylacto dolphindude14 Hingo Dream Eater Gengar rnbs jeran Peef Rimgar Misaka Mikoto slurmz Chras Shiba Silverwhiteblue

And for everyone I missed, thanks for being there :]]]]]

im top 3 (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Secret Sword
- Vacuum Wave

Kris Not the Jenner (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Gear Grind
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Goalie (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpA
Modest Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast

Help me with math (Porygon-Z) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 156 Atk / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Work Up

Black Salami (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head

I Love DEG (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Spore
- U-turn

Love you all! STABmons may be losing its ladder soon, but we will never die!

Last edited:

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
everyone like beta's post. it's a really horrible experience not posting a joint rmt and receiving way less likes and then not getting acknowledged in the rmt of the week thread. i'm sad now

Nice team! Some quick changes you can try out are:

Ice Shard >>> Iron Head on Kyurem-B
Mega Diancie does look pretty annoying for the team in general and Iron Head lets you revenge kill it with far more ease. Scarf Ice Shard is so gross wow. A Vacuum Wave user and a FakeSpeed user is also enough priority tbh

current Celebi set >>> another Celebi set (lol)
Specially defensive Celebi without Recover is kinda gross, as you lose out on a lot of longevity. Stealth Rock / Spore / Lunar Dance / U-turn really feels like you're trying to cram too much utility into one set too. Instead of running Stealth Rock Celebi, you could try alternatives like offensive Stealth Rock Excadrill or Stealth Rock + Dragon Dance Garchomp. You could also take off U-turn, since it seems like an odd move to use on specially defensive Celebi; your team has a bunch of powerful attackers and thrives off double switches anyway.

Alternatively, you could change up your sets to something like Choice Scarf Keldeo + Dragon Dance Kyurem-B + Baton Pass Celebi. Choice Scarf Keldeo tends to just win with a Nasty Plot boost under its belt, and a slow Baton Pass is often just as good as a slow U-turn (and also lets you evade the occasional Pursuit). Choice Scarf Hidden Power Electric Keldeo also helps you out versus Dragon Dance Gyarados. Also wow Adamant Gyarados is gross everyone run Jolly please

Healing Wish >>> Lunar Dance on Celebi
If you ignore all the rest about Celebi, this is still important because refreshing the PP of something like Extreme Speed or Water Spout is absolutely amazing. It's just small optimisation stuff basically

Spore >>> Thunder Wave on Celebi
Your team doesn't have a single paralysis inducer and that is unacceptable. shoutouts GonxKillua

Excadrill >>> generic offensive Ground-type
Something like Landorus-T or Garchomp would do well here. Autotomize Excadrill is pretty meh and these two provide Stealth Rock far more efficiently. Both of them are also ok versus Scizor

Thanks for shoutout, good luck in your future endeavours!

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
its not my fault fb chess wont let me make the move i want to, blame shitty design. also, we already had a group rmt, the one bacon and i made was way better smh.

running mystic water keld with hp elec > vacuum wave does drop the power a bit, but it lures in gyara and bops it which is nice. Also let's it take care of Diancie all the time instead of being locked into ss/vacuum wave. And it situationallu bluffs specs and scarf which is nice

its not my fault fb chess wont let me make the move i want to, blame shitty design. also, we already had a group rmt, the one bacon and i made was way better smh.

running mystic water keld with hp elec > vacuum wave does drop the power a bit, but it lures in gyara and bops it which is nice. Also let's it take care of Diancie all the time instead of being locked into ss/vacuum wave. And it situationallu bluffs specs and scarf which is nice
Even in inactivity Josh is teachin

Shit name change btw

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
everyone like beta's post. it's a really horrible experience not posting a joint rmt and receiving way less likes and then not getting acknowledged in the rmt of the week thread. i'm sad now

Nice team! Some quick changes you can try out are:

Ice Shard >>> Iron Head on Kyurem-B
Mega Diancie does look pretty annoying for the team in general and Iron Head lets you revenge kill it with far more ease. Scarf Ice Shard is so gross wow. A Vacuum Wave user and a FakeSpeed user is also enough priority tbh

current Celebi set >>> another Celebi set (lol)
Specially defensive Celebi without Recover is kinda gross, as you lose out on a lot of longevity. Stealth Rock / Spore / Lunar Dance / U-turn really feels like you're trying to cram too much utility into one set too. Instead of running Stealth Rock Celebi, you could try alternatives like offensive Stealth Rock Excadrill or Stealth Rock + Dragon Dance Garchomp. You could also take off U-turn, since it seems like an odd move to use on specially defensive Celebi; your team has a bunch of powerful attackers and thrives off double switches anyway.

Alternatively, you could change up your sets to something like Choice Scarf Keldeo + Dragon Dance Kyurem-B + Baton Pass Celebi. Choice Scarf Keldeo tends to just win with a Nasty Plot boost under its belt, and a slow Baton Pass is often just as good as a slow U-turn (and also lets you evade the occasional Pursuit). Choice Scarf Hidden Power Electric Keldeo also helps you out versus Dragon Dance Gyarados. Also wow Adamant Gyarados is gross everyone run Jolly please

Healing Wish >>> Lunar Dance on Celebi
If you ignore all the rest about Celebi, this is still important because refreshing the PP of something like Extreme Speed or Water Spout is absolutely amazing. It's just small optimisation stuff basically

Spore >>> Thunder Wave on Celebi
Your team doesn't have a single paralysis inducer and that is unacceptable. shoutouts GonxKillua

Excadrill >>> generic offensive Ground-type
Something like Landorus-T or Garchomp would do well here. Autotomize Excadrill is pretty meh and these two provide Stealth Rock far more efficiently. Both of them are also ok versus Scizor

Thanks for shoutout, good luck in your future endeavours!
To be fair, I did the vast majority of the writeup and got all the images and stuff, including having to redo all of them when google docs decided to not copy anything properly. Otherwise, I wouldn't have peaked without Beta, so it evens out anyways. He's the battler I'm the writer, or whatever.

Iron head over ice shard sounds like a good idea for Diancie tbh. It doesn't solve the issue but it certainly alleviates it, being able to get in Kyube and win against it no matter it's health and icicle crash's shitty accuracy.

The Celebi set actually works really well for the team because it doesn't need to preform all the roles it wants to. It does very different things in each battle, since in many battles, we only need it for rocks/healing wish, or maybe a spore absorber, or maybe a spore or two, or maybe a Keldeo check who pivots out of the switch-in. Either way, the Celebi set best fits the team because it does everything we need it to battle-to-battle, despite not being the best set overall because it can't preform every role it attempts to fill in each battle.

Most of the concept of this team was running Specs Keldeo, which is honestly pretty broken.

Lunar dance is definitely superior, changed.

Spore is generally really useful on Celebi because otherwise it's pretty passive. It u-turns out of opposing checks, because like you said, this team thrives on double switches. Thunder wave is an option I'll slash, but I wouldn't run it personally due to the hyper offensive nature of the team. U-turn actually helps with the double switches because it provides the same free switches but eases the need to predict while gaining the same momentum.

Excadrill is something that was nearly irreplaceable at the time, but with shift gear's ban, this team isn't nearly as effective. Shift Gear Exca was really threatening because it 2hko'd thundy after an SG and rocks, which allows it to bypass many threats to autotomize. The reason the team loses out without exca is due to the lack of rapid spin. Fixing this would require transforming the team. The team itself is basically retired, both me and Beta aren't playing stabmons at all rn.

NO this is better ;((((

Specs keld was our #1 as soon as we started building. Mystic water doesn't beat Diancie, since Keld can't get in anyways and most Diancie sets carry protect, rendering switching moves useless anyways. Specs is just impossible to pass up for me personally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)