Cashless stores

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Going cashless is really convenient for businesses, but it alienates poor people without bank accounts and also tourists and foreign students.
But instead of banning cashless stores or forcing cashless stores to accept cash, can they not set up a top up system that isn't linked to a bank account?
Most of the debate I read about cashless stores are about business VS the poor or so.
(Like in USA, it's main argument is that it alienates poor people, and to a lesser extend, privacy. And in Sweden, it's mainly that it alienates old people because the cashless stores in Sweden only accept online payment.)
But did they not consider a third option?

Like in Taiwan, they have a card called Yoyo card. It started out as a card for paying for train tickets, but nowadays, you can use Yoyo card to pay for nearly everything.
Yoyo cards are not linked to bank accounts, and you can top up your Yoyo card in certain stores with cash.
Yoyo cards also do not have any personal data on them-- no privacy problems.
You don't need to know how to use smartphones in order to use Yoyo cards, so it's friendly towards old people.

(In European countries they have a card called Monzo card, in which you can top up at certain places using cash. But setting up a Monzo account requires mobile phone/ internet.)

My opinion is that other countries should consider setting up something similar to Yoyo cards, instead of banning cashless stores or forcing cashless stores to accept cash.

Last edited:

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cashless stores are fine imo. If you want to narrow your customer base in order to be less of a target for robberies and/or save money on handling cash, that's a choice a store should get to make. Compared to online stores, they're already gatekeeping much less.

If suddenly cash couldn't buy food anywhere in a city, that's clearly bad, but it's not a realistic scenario and would almost certainly result in immediate intervention.

I mostly agree with what you said about prepaid debit cards, I guess, but I don't think this is a problem in urgent need of a solution. Maybe it's different elsewhere.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Cashless stores are fine imo. If you want to narrow your customer base in order to be less of a target for robberies and/or save money on handling cash, that's a choice a store should get to make. Compared to online stores, they're already gatekeeping much less.

If suddenly cash couldn't buy food anywhere in a city, that's clearly bad, but it's not a realistic scenario and would almost certainly result in immediate intervention.

I mostly agree with what you said about prepaid debit cards, I guess, but I don't think this is a problem in urgent need of a solution. Maybe it's different elsewhere.
Good point. I think stores selling basic necessities should accept cash. But stores that aren't selling that shouldn't be forced to accept cash.
Like, if it's a coffee shop that mainly targets millennials , and that their coffee isn't cheap, then there's no point forcing the shop to accept cash.

The thing is, the law in Philadelphia is forcing stores to accept cash no matter what they sell, or what their target customers are.
I think to have a newly made special law to do that is rather unnecessary.

Good point. I think stores selling basic necessities should accept cash. But stores that aren't selling that shouldn't be forced to accept cash.
Like, if it's a coffee shop that mainly targets millennials , and that their coffee isn't cheap, then there's no point forcing the shop to accept cash.

The thing is, the law in Philadelphia is forcing stores to accept cash no matter what they sell, or what their target customers are.
I think to have a newly made special law to do that is rather unnecessary.
I agree here. I think it’s definitely a better decision to accept cash as a seller to not miss out on people who only have cash but I don’t get the point of forcing stores to do it. It’s their choice, why should they be forced to accept it when they don’t want to?

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The other thing to consider is who your target market is. There's a "fast food" restaurant that sells healthy salad combinations near where I work in the downtown core of my city. 99% of their client base is 20-60 year old professionals who are more than happy to pay electronically. For them the cost of lost business is minimal compared to the increased time spent training team members and not training for loss prevention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)