Charizard (1/2)

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Dynamax Sun Sweeper
move 1: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Solar Beam
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Ancient Power
item: Sharp Beak / Heavy Duty Boots / Assault Vest
ability: Solar Power
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Thanks to Solar Power and a powerful Max Airstream from Air Slash, Charizard is the premier Dynamax sun sweeper!

* Flamethrower is Charizard's most reliable Fire-type STAB, but Fire Blast offers more power in Dynamax and is extremely powerful under the sun.

* Solar Beam is Charizard's best answer to key resistances of its STABs such as Rotom-W and Rhyperior. Just note that unless Dynamaxed, it needs sunny weather to work well.

* Dragon Pulse hits Dragon-types like Hydreigon hard while Dynamaxed, and also lowers attack as Max Wyrmwind.

* Ancient Power setting up the sand as Max Rockfall is counter-intuitive, but it hits Rotom-H harder than any other attack, and can even set up a sweep if your team has Sand Rush Excadrill.

* Sharp Beak is the safest offensive item for Charizard, since the recoil from Life Orb wears it down too quickly in the sun.

* Heavy Duty Boots makes Charizard easier to use in the late game thanks to the Stealth Rock immunity.

* Assault Vest improves Charizard's match up against more specially offensive checks, mainly Rotom-H.

[General Team Options]

Charizard has two high profile issues: Tyranitar and Rotom-H. Carrying teammates to check these threats is highly recommended. Also, Torkoal deserves special mention as a teammate for setting up the sun for Charizard, despite a lack of synergy otherwise.

* Physical Tyranitar checks: :hippowdon: :conkeldurr: :corviknight: :toxapex: :mimikyu: :rhyperior: :seismitoad:

* Special Tyranitar checks: :conkeldurr: :toxapex: :mimikyu:

* Rotom-H checks: :snorlax: :rotom-wash: :rhyperior: :gastrodon: :seismitoad:

* Sun Setter: :torkoal:

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Theorymon, 29010]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’ve been using Zard a tonne on stream and think it’s actually really good. I think Life Orb is not worth using, the combined recoil from that and Solar Power really hurts, plus it’s a much better item on a bunch of other Pokémon you’ll probably have on your team. I found Assault Vest to be legitimately good, however it’s abother high-value item which usually gets put on something else, but it really improves the Rotom matchup. Speaking of which; Ancient Power is really good in the fourth slot just to stop you being walled by the oven (It’s also a really funny way to set up Sand Rush Drill in the back lol). I’ve also tested Work Up purely for a Max Guard option, but getting a boost is often a fat GG.

I think Focus Blast is not worth using at all. It doesn’t actually threaten Tyranitar. Dragon Pulse is really nice but I very rarely click it. I’d say the fourth slot should be Dragon Pulse / Ancient Power / Work Up, and the item slot should be Sharp Beak / Heavy Duty Boots / Assault Vest.

Solar Beam is definitely good for Water-types, but the only relevant one is Rotom-W (or Lanturn), the rest get Airstreamed. You can reword that sentence to mention Rotom-W and Rhyperior specifically instead imo

I agree with the sentiment about Ancient Power. Although it was in Doubles, the power of being able to just break unsuspecting opponents with Solar Power Max Rockfall and also set up for Excadrill in the back is something funny to be remembered.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks everyone! I added in the suggestions and edits, and added in the teammates. This is now ready for quality control checks!

I'd think Sunny Day would be better than Work Up. Why give yourself a 50% boost, when you could give yourself 2 boosts? (1 from Solar Power, and Flamethrower's sun boost)
. Rotom-H also resists everything but Ancient Power
It doesn't resist Dragon Pulse.

Theorymon

I updated the format! I'm still leaving this as QC approved 1/2 since the only major change (the removal of Work Up) was decided when we uploaded its set on the dex.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I see a lot of new players come up to me with Hurricane Charizard on their team, do you think it would be worth quickly explaining in the Air Slash point why this is not a good idea? Feels like it's self-explanatory enough to not mention it and maybe mentioning it at all might make a new player try it anyway when they otherwise wouldn't, but just a thought.

I know Tyranitar checks are annoying since it theoretically has ways to handle almost all of its checks but I think we can do with a few more here, maybe add stuff like Toxapex and Mimikyu though Tyranitar obviously does have ways it can beat both. I feel like some of the Rotom-H checks also double as Tyranitar checks to some extent so they might be worth listing again. Rhyperior in particular I would say fares well in the matchup unless we start seeing people spamming Hydro Pump Tyranitar.

Looks good to me otherwise, QC 2/2

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I think just combining the sections for tyranitar checks is good, because you wont be able to distinguish necessarily that easy and a lot of the options overlap. Hippo can kinda check both as well, especially SpD spreads that can live 2 ice beams. Rhyperior can beat special as well, unless they start running hydro pump as psynergy said, because the sandstorm SpD increase is significant and allows you to beat it pretty cleanly.

Im unsure about the items, but I will defer to others for this. I don't think this item list would be how I would do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)