Charizard Revamp (OU) QC 2/2 GP 2/2

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Taking over from Beds' attempt. I made the suggested changes by Earthworm and Lavos. Also made some minor changes of my own.

[OVERVIEW]

Charizard is the fastest user of Belly Drum in the whole tier and also packs a respectable special punch. However, due to its poor defensive stats and typing, Charizard fills very few defensive niches and is rather dependent on support from its teammates. Compared to other Belly Drum users, it lacks the bulk and recovery options to work consistently and won't be able to overcome most bulky Water-types, but it outshines them with its Speed and the ability to beat walls like Skarmory and Steelix with its powerful Fire Blast. Generally, Charizard needs quite a lot to go right for it to succeed, but with the right support, this fan-favorite Fire-type starter can become a powerhouse that can end games much like its anime counterpart.

[SET]
name: BellyZard (Belly Drum)
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========

Belly Drum is a high-risk, high-reward move that boosts Charizard's Attack to the maximum level. Earthquake and Rock Slide form an arsenal of physical attacks that hits everything in the tier for at least neutral damage. After a Belly Drum, Earthquake gets several notable OHKOs against the likes of Tyranitar, Raikou, Misdreavus, Nidoking, Gengar, and Rhydon. Everything else that doesn't resist it or is immune to it gets 2HKOed. Rock Slide is necessary for Zapdos and other less common Flying-types such as Dragonite, Moltres, and opposing Charizard. It can also come in handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky Pokemon such as Snorlax and Suicune. Fire Blast uses Charizard's high Special Attack and Fire typing to get the OHKO on Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, and Exeggutor after Spikes as well as a 2HKO on Cloyster and Heracross.

For a successful Charizard sweep, you want everything that outspeeds it paralyzed or removed completely. That includes Raikou, Starmie, Gengar, Jolteon, and the rarely seen Alakazam. Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank, and Tentacruel, so it is best to paralyze or eliminate them too. Pokemon such as Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune, Snorlax, and Vaporeon should also be weakened beforehand, as they can survive a hit from +6 Attack Charizard. The other issue you have with Charizard is getting a free turn to use Belly Drum without being taken down in the process. Threatening with the immediate OHKO on Steelix, Skarmory, Forretress, or Exeggutor is a good way to force a switch and get off the Belly Drum. It can also be done with Reflect or Light Screen support or by channeling your luck against paralyzed or sleeping Pokemon. Charizard will usually not get any opportunities to switch out and attempt another sweep at a later point in the game, which means that often you will have to go for Speed ties and flinches—the fact that it is a realistic possibility for Charizard to succeed in these scenarios is a major reason it's considered so dangerous. It should also be noted that the probability of getting two flinches in a row from Rock Slide is greater than that of getting a critical hit with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Cloyster pairs well with Charizard, as it can use Explosion to take out Suicune, Raikou, Zapdos, and most importantly Starmie. It also provides Spikes support, which can wear down the Pokemon listed above, other than Zapdos. Paralysis and sleep spreading is quite essential to prevent key Pokemon on the opposing team from blocking a sweep. Exeggutor can be quite useful, since it can inflict both of these status problems thanks to its access to Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; it can also use Explosion on Zapdos, Raikou, or Umbreon. Body Slam or Dragon Breath Steelix can also attempt to paralyze Zapdos and can use Explosion to eliminate bulky Water-types. Dragonite also does a good job of luring in the Electric-types and catching them with Thunder Wave on the switch. Gengar can be an effective teammate because it can land an Explosion against Raikou quite reliably. Snorlax can be used to spread status with Body Slam or Lovely Kiss or take out walls like Suicune with Self-Destruct or Belly Drum. Reflect or Light Screen users also pair up well with Charizard to support it when it's setting up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Miracle Berry is a great alternative to Leftovers. When paired with Light Screen or Reflect support, Miracle Berry can be used to take advantage of Pokemon that may try to cripple Charizard with status-inducing moves such as Gengar's Hypnosis and Snorlax's Body Slam. Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast for its higher accuracy, but misses out on the OHKO on Skarmory. Hyper Beam is an interesting option that can be used after Belly Drum to eliminate certain bulky Pokemon like Snorlax and Suicune with minimal prior damage. The recharge turn will make Charizard basically useless afterwards, but you can still take down something that Charizard wouldn't be able to otherwise, which can potentially lead to beneficial situations. Sunny Day is a possibility, since not only does it boost Charizard's Fire Blast for useful 2HKOs on Zapdos or Raikou, it also weakens incoming Water-type attacks and makes the common Thunder less accurate.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Starmie**: Starmie is probably the best counter, as it outspeeds Charizard and can take it down with Surf after it uses Belly Drum.

**Raikou and Gengar**: Raikou and Gengar outspeed Charizard and beat it with Thunder or Thunderbolt, but they have to be wary about the OHKO from a boosted Earthquake. A low damage roll from Gengar's Thunderbolt can fail to KO after Leftovers recovery, so it may be forced to use Explosion instead.

**Zapdos**: Zapdos is not a reliable check because it Speed ties with Charizard, may be reliant on Thunder hitting, and gets OHKOed by a boosted Rock Slide. However, it still has a decent shot at stopping a sweep through winning the Speed tie.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Keeping bulky Pokemon like Suicune and Snorlax healthy throughout the game is a good way to stop an attempted sweep. Machamp can take a boosted Earthquake if it is kept healthy and retaliate with a Rock Slide for a KO. Vaporeon also survives a boosted Earthquake and easily KOes Charizard with Surf after it has used Belly Drum.

**Status**: Charizard cannot sweep if it has been paralyzed as it relies heavily on its Speed to be effective. Poisoning Charizard before it can set up is another good way to make it more difficult for it to set up a sweep.

**Keeping Key Pokemon Healthy**: Preventing the necessary support Charizard needs to set up is usually enough to render it useless, so make sure to not let status conditions get spread too far and try to preserve key Pokemon such as Starmie and the Electric-types if you suspect a Charizard may be waiting in the wings.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Bedschibaer, 194413], [Diophantine, 370164]]
- Quality checked by: [[Lavos, 129513], [Fear, 2005]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Empress, 175616], [The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo this isn't a QC since I'm not on the GSC QC team, but I've used Charizard extensively, so I figured I'd give a few suggestions. Feel free to use whatever you want from this.

Generally Charizard is considered a surprise threat that most people won't expect, it needs rather complicated and risky setup, but with the right support it can become a powerhouse.
I'm not sure how unexpected Charizard is these days, nor do I think its setup is particularly complicated. You paralyze and weaken stuff with supporting teammates, try to get Charizard in safely in a good position, use Belly Drum, then sweep.

Earthquake and Rock Slide form your arsenal of physical attacks that hit everything in the tier apart from Skarmory at least for neutral damage.
A bit of a nitpick here, but Rock Slide hits Skarmory for neutral damage, there just isn't really a reason to use the move on Skarmory.

Pokemon like Snorlax, Umbreon or Mitank are bulky enough to live any attack after the boost, but they aren't as crucial to be weakened since they won't be able to fend off Charizard in one turn either.
Snorlax definitely can since Double Edge has a chance to OHKO if Charizard is at less than roughly 53%; Body Slam from Miltank and Snorlax can also paralyze Charizard if it's not holding Miracle Berry. I'd say it's very crucial to weaken Snorlax or at least get Charizard in on the turn it uses Rest. I'd even mention something about getting in on a sleeping Snorlax that doesn't use Sleep Talk for a good setup opportunity.

You have to be aware that Charizard usually has only a single shot at doing anything in a game.
I'd remove this sentence. It's slightly redundant because you talk about it in the next sentence a bit better imo.

What pairs best with the lizard is Cloyster, which can explode on Suicune, Raikou or Zapdos and most importantly Starmie.
Cloyster is a great pairing but I don't think it's necessarily Charizard's best teammate. It's not 100% mandatory (ie. Lavos vs BKC WCoP 2018 SemiFinals)

Paralysis and Sleep spreading is quite essential to hit the key Pokemon on the opposing team to attempt a sweep.
You should definitely also mention Steelix when talking about this. I think you should stress the importance a bit more of paralyzing Zapdos. Steelix can use Body Slam to paralyze foes but also it can opt for Dragon Breath and low SpA investment to fish for paralysis on Zapdos while preventing it from using Rest if it's at full, since Dragon Breath's damage is completely recovered by Leftovers. Steelix is also good at using Explosion on Pokemon like Suicune, Vaporeon, Zapdos, etc.

It's a bit niche, but maybe Dragonite deserves a mention here too because there is that one dnite + zard team that's relatively well-known. It's extremely good at paralyzing Electric-types, which commonly switch in to Dragonite, so that's worth mentioning imo.

Charizard barely has any viable other options regarding attacks.
I'd look into Hyper Beam + Polkadot Bow and maybe even Hidden Power Fighting. There was some discussion about these options on a discord server.

In Checks and Counters, definitely mention Vaporeon and you could also mention Rhydon since Charizard will be forced out by it if it hasn't already set up prior, and it can switch into Fire Blast / Rock Slide pretty easily.

Otherwise, this analysis is spot-on!

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Yo this isn't a QC since I'm not on the GSC QC team, but I've used Charizard extensively, so I figured I'd give a few suggestions. Feel free to use whatever you want from this.

I'm not sure how unexpected Charizard is these days, nor do I think its setup is particularly complicated. You paralyze and weaken stuff with supporting teammates, try to get Charizard in safely in a good position, use Belly Drum, then sweep.

A bit of a nitpick here, but Rock Slide hits Skarmory for neutral damage, there just isn't really a reason to use the move on Skarmory.

Snorlax definitely can since Double Edge has a chance to OHKO if Charizard is at less than roughly 53%; Body Slam from Miltank and Snorlax can also paralyze Charizard if it's not holding Miracle Berry. I'd say it's very crucial to weaken Snorlax or at least get Charizard in on the turn it uses Rest. I'd even mention something about getting in on a sleeping Snorlax that doesn't use Sleep Talk for a good setup opportunity.

I'd remove this sentence. It's slightly redundant because you talk about it in the next sentence a bit better imo.

Cloyster is a great pairing but I don't think it's necessarily Charizard's best teammate. It's not 100% mandatory (ie. Lavos vs BKC WCoP 2018 SemiFinals)

You should definitely also mention Steelix when talking about this. I think you should stress the importance a bit more of paralyzing Zapdos. Steelix can use Body Slam to paralyze foes but also it can opt for Dragon Breath and low SpA investment to fish for paralysis on Zapdos while preventing it from using Rest if it's at full, since Dragon Breath's damage is completely recovered by Leftovers. Steelix is also good at using Explosion on Pokemon like Suicune, Vaporeon, Zapdos, etc.

It's a bit niche, but maybe Dragonite deserves a mention here too because there is that one dnite + zard team that's relatively well-known. It's extremely good at paralyzing Electric-types, which commonly switch in to Dragonite, so that's worth mentioning imo.

I'd look into Hyper Beam + Polkadot Bow and maybe even Hidden Power Fighting. There was some discussion about these options on a discord server.

In Checks and Counters, definitely mention Vaporeon and you could also mention Rhydon since Charizard will be forced out by it if it hasn't already set up prior, and it can switch into Fire Blast / Rock Slide pretty easily.

Otherwise, this analysis is spot-on!
Made the changes but I am not convinced that Hyper Beam or Hidden Power Fighting are worth using so I did not include that part.

Fear

GSC Monarch
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Overall well written, nitpicking a few things.

Rock Slide is needed for Zapdos and the rarely seen Dragonite, but also for its flinch chance to push your luck and overcome some Pokemon.
The second part of this sentence should be adressed better, for example: [....] Rock Slide can also come handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky counters such as Snorlax or Suicune.

Many Pokemon slower than Charizard need to be weakened first to pull off the sweep including Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Starmie, Suicune and Vaporeon.
Remove Starmie, as you are listing pokemon slower than Charizard and not pokemon that need to be removed for Charizard.

QC 2/2

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
The second part of this sentence should be adressed better, for example: [....] Rock Slide can also come handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky counters such as Snorlax or Suicune.
Gotcha.

Remove Starmie, as you are listing pokemon slower than Charizard and not pokemon that need to be removed for Charizard.
My bad, completely missed that.

Thanks! All ready for GP.

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Amcheck, feel free to implement what you want from this. Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (SC) = Semicolon (AH) = Add Hyphen
Taking over from Beds' attempt. I made the suggested changes by Earthworm and Lavos. Also made some minor changes of my own.

[Overview]

Charizard is the fastest user of Belly Drum in the whole tier and also packs a respectable punch on the special side. Due to its poor defensive stats and typing, (AC) Charizard is unable to fill any defensive roles for your team and is rather dependant on support from its teammates. Compared to other Belly Drum users, (AC) it lacks the bulk and recovery options to work consistently and it won't be able to overcome most bulky waters Water-types, but it outshines them with its Speed and the ability to beat walls like Skarmory or and Steelix with its STAB Fire Blasts. Generally, (AC) Charizard needs rather complicated setup but with the right support, this fan favourite fire favorite Fire-type starter can become a powerhouse that can end games much like its anime counterpart.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Belly Drum is a high risk/high reward move that boosts your Charizard's Attack to the maximum cap of the game. Earthquake and Rock Slide form your arsenal of physical attacks that hit everything in the tier for at least neutral damage. After a Belly Drum, (AC) Earthquake gets several notable OHKOs such against the likes of Tyranitar, Raikou, Misdreavus, Nidoking, Gengar, (AC) or and Rhydon. Everything else that doesn't resist it or is immune to it gets 2HKOed. Rock Slide is necessary for Zapdos and the rarely seen Dragonite. It can also come handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky counters such as Snorlax or and Suicune. Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, (AC) and Exeggutor after Spikes, (RC) as well as a 2HKO on Cloyster and Heracross without the need to boost up.

Usage Tips
========

For a successful Charizard sweep, (AC) you want everything that outspeeds it paralyzed or removed completely. That includes Raikou, Starmie, Gengar, Jolteon, (AC) and the rarely seen Alakazam. Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank, (AC) and Tentacruel, so it is best to eliminate them as fast as possible. Neutering those is advised. Many Pokemon such as Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune, and Vaporeon that are slower than Charizard need to be weakened first in order to pull off the sweep including Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune and Vaporeon. (Changed the wording for better flow) Pokemon like Snorlax, Umbreon, (AC) or and Mitank are bulky enough to live survive any attack after the boost; (SC) and Snorlax threatens Charizard with a KO with from Double Edge, whereas Umbreon and Miltank threaten it with status such as from Body Slam paralysis or Toxic. The other issue you have with Charizard is getting a free turn to use Belly Drum without being taken down in the process. Threatening with the immediate OHKO on Steelix, Skarmory, Forretress, (AC) or Exeggutor is a good way to force a switch and get off the Belly Drum. It can also be done with Reflect or Light Screen support, inflicting status to the opposing team, (AC) or by channeling your luck with fully paralyzed or resting Pokemon on the opposing side. You will usually not get any opportunities to switch out and retry sweeping at a later point of the game, which means that very often you will have to go for Speed ties, (RC) and flinches, (AC) things that can make Charizard a powerful standalone threat too, (RC) after Starmie or Cloyster are removed. It should also be noted that the probability of getting two flinches in a row from Rock Slide is greater than that of getting a critical hit with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Cloyster pairs well with Charizard, as it can explode on Suicune, Raikou, (AC) or Zapdos, (AC) and most importantly, (AC) Starmie. It also provides Spikes which support that can be used to wear down the Pokemon listed above. Paralysis and sleep spreading is quite essential to hit the key Pokemon on the opposing team to attempt a sweep. Exeggutor can be quite useful here, (AC) since it has access to both status-inducing (AH) moves in Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; (SC) it can also explode on Zapdos, Raikou, (AC) or Umbreon. Body Slam or Dragonbreath Dragon Breath Steelix can also fish for paralysis against Zapdos and can also explode on bulky Water-types. Dragonite also does a good job of luring in the Electric-types and catching them with a Thunder Wave on the switch. Gengar can be an effective teammate because it can explode on Raikou quite reliably. Your Snorlax can be used to spread status with Body Slam or to take out walls like Suicune with Self Destruct, Lovely Kiss, (AC) or Belly Drum. Reflect and/or and Light Screen users pair up well with Charizard to support it when setting up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Miracle Berry is a great alternative to Leftovers for the Belly Drum set. When paired with Light Screen and/or Reflect support from its teammates the Leftovers may seem redundant, and so Miracle Berry may be used to take advantage of Pokemon that may try to cripple Charizard with status-inducing moves such as Gengar's Hypnosis and Snorlax's Body Slam. Charizard barely has any viable other options regarding attacks. Flamethrower misses out on the OHKO on Skarmory, the accuracy might come in handy though. Hyper Beam is an interesting option that can kill off eliminate (Kill is a banned phrase, except in revenge kill) certain bulky mons Pokemon like Snorlax or and Suicune after Spikes. The recharge will make Charizard basically useless afterwards, but you can still take down something you wouldn't be able to otherwise, which can potentially lead to beneficial gamestates. Sunny Day is a possibility, (AC) since it doesn't only boost your attacks for useful 2HKOs on Zapdos or Raikou, but it also weakens incoming Water-type (AH) attacks and makes the common Thunder more inaccurate.

Checks and Counters
=============

Starmie is probably the best counter to Charizard, as it outspeeds it and can take it down after the Belly Drum with a Surf. Vaporeon does a similar job at handling Charizard, but is outsped by it. Raikou and Gengar outspeed Charizard too and they can beat it with Thunder or Thunderbolt, but they have to be weary wary about the OHKO after the boost though. Zapdos is a little bit shakier because it's just as fast as Charizard, (AC) and but it goes down to a Rock Slide. Keeping bulky Pokemon like Suicune or and Snorlax healthy throughout the game is a good way to stop an attempted sweep. Rhydon and Machamp can take a boosted Earthquake if they are kept healthy and can retaliate back with a Rock Slide for a KO. Slowbro is a niche Pokemon that effectively counters Charizard. Charizard is afraid of taking any form of status, (AC) and as it has to cut its health to half to even be threatening, which makes just attacking it when it is in a good way to keep it in check and prevent it from boosting up. Preventing the necessary support Charizard needs to set up is usually enough to render Charizard useless, make sure to not let status get spread too far and try to preserve key Pokemon such as Starmie or the Electrics and Electric-types.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [Lavos, 129513], [Fear, 2005]]
- Grammar checked by: [[,], [, ]]

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Deetah: Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (SC) = Semicolon (AH) = Add Hyphen
Me: Add Remove Comment
[Overview]

Charizard is the fastest user of Belly Drum in the whole tier and also packs a respectable special punch on the special side. Due to its poor defensive stats and typing, (AC) Charizard is unable to fill any defensive roles for your team and is rather dependant dependent on support from its teammates. Compared to other Belly Drum users, (AC) it lacks the bulk and recovery options to work consistently and it won't be able to overcome most bulky waters Water-types, but it outshines them with its Speed and the ability to beat walls like Skarmory or and Steelix with its STAB Fire Blasts. Generally, (AC) Charizard needs rather complicated setup (not quite sure what this means) , (AC) but with the right support, this fan favourite fire favorite Fire-type starter can become a powerhouse that can end games much like its anime counterpart.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Belly Drum is a high risk/high reward move that boosts your Charizard's Attack to the maximum cap of the game level. Earthquake and Rock Slide form your an arsenal of physical attacks that hits everything in the tier for at least neutral damage. After a Belly Drum, (AC) Earthquake gets several notable OHKOs such against the likes of Tyranitar, Raikou, Misdreavus, Nidoking, Gengar, (AC) or and Rhydon. Everything else that doesn't resist it or is immune to it gets 2HKOed. Rock Slide is necessary for Zapdos and the rarely seen Dragonite. It can also come handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky counters such as Snorlax or and Suicune. Fire Blast may be a special attack, but it still gets the OHKO on Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, (AC) and Exeggutor after Spikes, (RC) as well as a 2HKO on Cloyster and Heracross without the need to boost up.

Usage Tips
========

For a successful Charizard sweep, (AC) you want everything that outspeeds it paralyzed or removed completely. That includes Raikou, Starmie, Gengar, Jolteon, (AC) and the rarely seen Alakazam. Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank, (AC) and Tentacruel, so it is best to eliminate them as fast as possible. Neutering those is advised. Many Pokemon such as Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune, and Vaporeon that are slower than Charizard need to be weakened first in order to pull off the sweep including Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune and Vaporeon. (Changed the wording for better flow) Pokemon like Snorlax, Umbreon, (AC) or and Mitank are bulky enough to live survive any attack after the boost; (SC) and Snorlax threatens Charizard with a KO with from Double Edge, whereas Umbreon and Miltank threaten it with status such as from Body Slam paralysis or Toxic. The other issue you have with Charizard is getting a free turn to use Belly Drum without being taken down in the process. Threatening with the immediate OHKO on Steelix, Skarmory, Forretress, (AC) or Exeggutor is a good way to force a switch and get off the Belly Drum. It can also be done with Reflect or Light Screen support, inflicting status to the opposing team, (AC) or by channeling your luck with fully paralyzed or resting sleeping Pokemon on the opposing side. You Charizard will usually not get any opportunities to switch out and retry sweeping attempt another at a later point of the game, which means that very often you will have to go for Speed ties, (RC) and flinches, (AC) things that which can also make Charizard a powerful standalone threat too, (RC) after Starmie or Cloyster are removed. It should also be noted that the probability of getting two flinches in a row from Rock Slide is greater than that of getting a critical hit with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Cloyster pairs well with Charizard, as it can explode on use Explosion to take out Suicune, Raikou, (AC) or Zapdos, (AC) and, (AC) most importantly, (AC) Starmie. It also provides Spikes which support that can be used to wear down the Pokemon listed above. Paralysis and sleep spreading is quite essential to hit the key Pokemon on the opposing team to attempt a sweep. Exeggutor can be quite useful here, (AC) since it has access to both status-inducing moves in can inflict both status problems thanks to its access to Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; (SC) it can also explode use Explosion on Zapdos, Raikou, (AC) or Umbreon. Body Slam or Dragonbreath Dragon Breath Steelix can also fish aim (subjective change; more formal) for paralysis against Zapdos and can also explode on wear down bulky Water-types with Explosion. Dragonite also does a good job of luring in the Electric-types and catching them with a Thunder Wave on the switch. Gengar can be an effective teammate because it can explode on land an Explosion against Raikou quite reliably. Your Snorlax can be used to spread status paralysis with Body Slam or to take out walls like Suicune with Self-(AH)Destruct, Lovely Kiss, (AC) or Belly Drum. Reflect and/or and Light Screen users pair up well with Charizard to support it when setting up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Miracle Berry is a great alternative to Leftovers for the Belly Drum set. When paired with Light Screen and/or Reflect support from its teammates, (AC) the Leftovers may seem redundant, and so Miracle Berry may be used to take advantage of Pokemon that may try to cripple Charizard with status-inducing moves such as Gengar's Hypnosis and Snorlax's Body Slam. Charizard barely has any viable other options regarding attacks. Flamethrower misses out on the OHKO on Skarmory,; (change to semi) the accuracy might come in handy on occasion, though. Hyper Beam is an interesting option that can kill off eliminate (Kill is a banned phrase, except in revenge kill) certain bulky mons Pokemon like Snorlax or and Suicune after Spikes. The recharge turn will make Charizard basically useless afterwards, but you the move can still take down something you that Charizard wouldn't be able to otherwise, which can potentially lead to beneficial gamestates situations. Sunny Day is a possibility, (AC) since it doesn't only boost your not only boosts Charizard's attacks for useful 2HKOs on Zapdos or Raikou, but it also weakens incoming Water-type (AH) attacks and makes the common Thunder more inaccurate.

Checks and Counters
=============

Starmie is probably the best counter to Charizard, as it outspeeds it and can take it down with Surf after the Charizard uses Belly Drum with a Surf. Vaporeon does a similarly good job at handling Charizard, but is outsped by it it is slower. Raikou and Gengar also outspeed Charizard too and they can beat it with Thunder or Thunderbolt, but they have to be weary wary about the OHKO after the boost though from a boosted Earthquake. Zapdos is a little bit shakier because it's just as fast as it Speed ties with Charizard and it goes down to a Rock Slide. Keeping bulky Pokemon like Suicune or and Snorlax healthy throughout the game is a good way to stop an attempted sweep. Rhydon and Machamp can take a boosted Earthquake if they are kept healthy and can retaliate back with a Rock Slide for a KO. Slowbro is a niche Pokemon that effectively counters Charizard. Charizard is afraid of taking any form of status, (AC) and as it has to cut its health to by half to even be threatening, which makes just simply (subjective change) attacking it when it is in a good way to keep it in check and prevent it from boosting up. Preventing the necessary support Charizard needs to set up is usually enough to render Charizard it useless, so make sure to not let status conditions get spread too far and try to preserve key Pokemon such as Starmie or the Electrics and Electric-types.

[CREDITS]

I'll go ahead and stamp this, deetah. Good job with the prose in Usage Tips.
GP 1/2

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Deetah: Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (SC) = Semicolon (AH) = Add Hyphen
[Overview]

Charizard is the fastest user of Belly Drum in the whole tier and also packs a respectable special punch on the special side. Due to its poor defensive stats and typing, (AC) Charizard is unable to fill any defensive roles for your team and is rather dependant dependent on support from its teammates. Compared to other Belly Drum users, (AC) it lacks the bulk and recovery options to work consistently and it won't be able to overcome most bulky waters Water-types, but it outshines them with its Speed and the ability to beat walls like Skarmory or and Steelix with its STAB Fire Blasts. Generally, (AC) Charizard needs rather complicated setup (not quite sure what this means) , (AC) but with the right support, this fan favourite fire favorite Fire-type starter can become a powerhouse that can end games much like its anime counterpart.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Belly Drum is a high risk/high reward move that boosts your Charizard's Attack to the maximum cap of the game level. Earthquake and Rock Slide form your an arsenal of physical attacks that hits everything in the tier for at least neutral damage. After a Belly Drum, (AC) Earthquake gets several notable OHKOs such against the likes of Tyranitar, Raikou, Misdreavus, Nidoking, Gengar, (AC) or and Rhydon. Everything else that doesn't resist it or is immune to it gets 2HKOed. Rock Slide is necessary for Zapdos and the rarely seen Dragonite. It can also come handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky counters such as Snorlax or and Suicune. Fire Blast may be a special attack, but it still gets the OHKO on Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, (AC) and Exeggutor after Spikes, (RC) as well as a 2HKO on Cloyster and Heracross without the need to boost up.

Usage Tips
========

For a successful Charizard sweep, (AC) you want everything that outspeeds it paralyzed or removed completely. That includes Raikou, Starmie, Gengar, Jolteon, (AC) and the rarely seen Alakazam. Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank, (AC) and Tentacruel, so it is best to eliminate them as fast as possible. Neutering those is advised. Many Pokemon such as Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune, and Vaporeon that are slower than Charizard need to be weakened first in order to pull off the sweep including Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune and Vaporeon. (Changed the wording for better flow) Pokemon like Snorlax, Umbreon, (AC) or and Mitank are bulky enough to live survive any attack after the boost; (SC) and Snorlax threatens Charizard with a KO with from Double Edge, whereas Umbreon and Miltank threaten it with status such as from Body Slam paralysis or Toxic. The other issue you have with Charizard is getting a free turn to use Belly Drum without being taken down in the process. Threatening with the immediate OHKO on Steelix, Skarmory, Forretress, (AC) or Exeggutor is a good way to force a switch and get off the Belly Drum. It can also be done with Reflect or Light Screen support, inflicting status to the opposing team, (AC) or by channeling your luck with fully paralyzed or resting sleeping Pokemon on the opposing side. You Charizard will usually not get any opportunities to switch out and retry sweeping attempt another at a later point of the game, which means that very often you will have to go for Speed ties, (RC) and flinches, (AC) things that which can also make Charizard a powerful standalone threat too, (RC) after Starmie or Cloyster are removed. It should also be noted that the probability of getting two flinches in a row from Rock Slide is greater than that of getting a critical hit with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Cloyster pairs well with Charizard, as it can explode on use Explosion to take out Suicune, Raikou, (AC) or Zapdos, (AC) and, (AC) most importantly, (AC) Starmie. It also provides Spikes which support that can be used to wear down the Pokemon listed above. Paralysis and sleep spreading is quite essential to hit the key Pokemon on the opposing team to attempt a sweep. Exeggutor can be quite useful here, (AC) since it has access to both status-inducing moves in can inflict both status problems thanks to its access to Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; (SC) it can also explode use Explosion on Zapdos, Raikou, (AC) or Umbreon. Body Slam or Dragonbreath Dragon Breath Steelix can also fish aim (subjective change; more formal) for paralysis against Zapdos and can also explode on wear down bulky Water-types with Explosion. Dragonite also does a good job of luring in the Electric-types and catching them with a Thunder Wave on the switch. Gengar can be an effective teammate because it can explode on land an Explosion against Raikou quite reliably. Your Snorlax can be used to spread status paralysis with Body Slam or to take out walls like Suicune with Self-(AH)Destruct, Lovely Kiss, (AC) or Belly Drum. Reflect and/or and Light Screen users pair up well with Charizard to support it when setting up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Miracle Berry is a great alternative to Leftovers for the Belly Drum set. When paired with Light Screen and/or Reflect support from its teammates, (AC) the Leftovers may seem redundant, and so Miracle Berry may be used to take advantage of Pokemon that may try to cripple Charizard with status-inducing moves such as Gengar's Hypnosis and Snorlax's Body Slam. Charizard barely has any viable other options regarding attacks. Flamethrower misses out on the OHKO on Skarmory,; (change to semi) the accuracy might come in handy on occasion, though. Hyper Beam is an interesting option that can kill off eliminate (Kill is a banned phrase, except in revenge kill) certain bulky mons Pokemon like Snorlax or and Suicune after Spikes. The recharge turn will make Charizard basically useless afterwards, but you the move can still take down something you that Charizard wouldn't be able to otherwise, which can potentially lead to beneficial gamestates situations. Sunny Day is a possibility, (AC) since it doesn't only boost your not only boosts Charizard's attacks for useful 2HKOs on Zapdos or Raikou, but it also weakens incoming Water-type (AH) attacks and makes the common Thunder more inaccurate.

Checks and Counters
=============

Starmie is probably the best counter to Charizard, as it outspeeds it and can take it down with Surf after the Charizard uses Belly Drum with a Surf. Vaporeon does a similarly good job at handling Charizard, but is outsped by it it is slower. Raikou and Gengar also outspeed Charizard too and they can beat it with Thunder or Thunderbolt, but they have to be weary wary about the OHKO after the boost though from a boosted Earthquake. Zapdos is a little bit shakier because it's just as fast as it Speed ties with Charizard and it goes down to a Rock Slide. Keeping bulky Pokemon like Suicune or and Snorlax healthy throughout the game is a good way to stop an attempted sweep. Rhydon and Machamp can take a boosted Earthquake if they are kept healthy and can retaliate back with a Rock Slide for a KO. Slowbro is a niche Pokemon that effectively counters Charizard. Charizard is afraid of taking any form of status, (AC) and as it has to cut its health to by half to even be threatening, which makes just simply (subjective change) attacking it when it is in a good way to keep it in check and prevent it from boosting up. Preventing the necessary support Charizard needs to set up is usually enough to render Charizard it useless, so make sure to not let status conditions get spread too far and try to preserve key Pokemon such as Starmie or the Electrics and Electric-types.

[CREDITS]

GP 1/2
Amcheck, feel free to implement what you want from this. Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (SC) = Semicolon (AH) = Add Hyphen

[Overview]

Charizard is the fastest user of Belly Drum in the whole tier and also packs a respectable punch on the special side. Due to its poor defensive stats and typing, (AC) Charizard is unable to fill any defensive roles for your team and is rather dependant on support from its teammates. Compared to other Belly Drum users, (AC) it lacks the bulk and recovery options to work consistently and it won't be able to overcome most bulky waters Water-types, but it outshines them with its Speed and the ability to beat walls like Skarmory or and Steelix with its STAB Fire Blasts. Generally, (AC) Charizard needs rather complicated setup but with the right support, this fan favourite fire favorite Fire-type starter can become a powerhouse that can end games much like its anime counterpart.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Belly Drum is a high risk/high reward move that boosts your Charizard's Attack to the maximum cap of the game. Earthquake and Rock Slide form your arsenal of physical attacks that hit everything in the tier for at least neutral damage. After a Belly Drum, (AC) Earthquake gets several notable OHKOs such against the likes of Tyranitar, Raikou, Misdreavus, Nidoking, Gengar, (AC) or and Rhydon. Everything else that doesn't resist it or is immune to it gets 2HKOed. Rock Slide is necessary for Zapdos and the rarely seen Dragonite. It can also come handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky counters such as Snorlax or and Suicune. Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, (AC) and Exeggutor after Spikes, (RC) as well as a 2HKO on Cloyster and Heracross without the need to boost up.

Usage Tips
========

For a successful Charizard sweep, (AC) you want everything that outspeeds it paralyzed or removed completely. That includes Raikou, Starmie, Gengar, Jolteon, (AC) and the rarely seen Alakazam. Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank, (AC) and Tentacruel, so it is best to eliminate them as fast as possible. Neutering those is advised. Many Pokemon such as Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune, and Vaporeon that are slower than Charizard need to be weakened first in order to pull off the sweep including Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune and Vaporeon. (Changed the wording for better flow) Pokemon like Snorlax, Umbreon, (AC) or and Mitank are bulky enough to live survive any attack after the boost; (SC) and Snorlax threatens Charizard with a KO with from Double Edge, whereas Umbreon and Miltank threaten it with status such as from Body Slam paralysis or Toxic. The other issue you have with Charizard is getting a free turn to use Belly Drum without being taken down in the process. Threatening with the immediate OHKO on Steelix, Skarmory, Forretress, (AC) or Exeggutor is a good way to force a switch and get off the Belly Drum. It can also be done with Reflect or Light Screen support, inflicting status to the opposing team, (AC) or by channeling your luck with fully paralyzed or resting Pokemon on the opposing side. You will usually not get any opportunities to switch out and retry sweeping at a later point of the game, which means that very often you will have to go for Speed ties, (RC) and flinches, (AC) things that can make Charizard a powerful standalone threat too, (RC) after Starmie or Cloyster are removed. It should also be noted that the probability of getting two flinches in a row from Rock Slide is greater than that of getting a critical hit with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Cloyster pairs well with Charizard, as it can explode on Suicune, Raikou, (AC) or Zapdos, (AC) and most importantly, (AC) Starmie. It also provides Spikes which support that can be used to wear down the Pokemon listed above. Paralysis and sleep spreading is quite essential to hit the key Pokemon on the opposing team to attempt a sweep. Exeggutor can be quite useful here, (AC) since it has access to both status-inducing (AH) moves in Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; (SC) it can also explode on Zapdos, Raikou, (AC) or Umbreon. Body Slam or Dragonbreath Dragon Breath Steelix can also fish for paralysis against Zapdos and can also explode on bulky Water-types. Dragonite also does a good job of luring in the Electric-types and catching them with a Thunder Wave on the switch. Gengar can be an effective teammate because it can explode on Raikou quite reliably. Your Snorlax can be used to spread status with Body Slam or to take out walls like Suicune with Self Destruct, Lovely Kiss, (AC) or Belly Drum. Reflect and/or and Light Screen users pair up well with Charizard to support it when setting up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Miracle Berry is a great alternative to Leftovers for the Belly Drum set. When paired with Light Screen and/or Reflect support from its teammates the Leftovers may seem redundant, and so Miracle Berry may be used to take advantage of Pokemon that may try to cripple Charizard with status-inducing moves such as Gengar's Hypnosis and Snorlax's Body Slam. Charizard barely has any viable other options regarding attacks. Flamethrower misses out on the OHKO on Skarmory, the accuracy might come in handy though. Hyper Beam is an interesting option that can kill off eliminate (Kill is a banned phrase, except in revenge kill) certain bulky mons Pokemon like Snorlax or and Suicune after Spikes. The recharge will make Charizard basically useless afterwards, but you can still take down something you wouldn't be able to otherwise, which can potentially lead to beneficial gamestates. Sunny Day is a possibility, (AC) since it doesn't only boost your attacks for useful 2HKOs on Zapdos or Raikou, but it also weakens incoming Water-type (AH) attacks and makes the common Thunder more inaccurate.

Checks and Counters
=============

Starmie is probably the best counter to Charizard, as it outspeeds it and can take it down after the Belly Drum with a Surf. Vaporeon does a similar job at handling Charizard, but is outsped by it. Raikou and Gengar outspeed Charizard too and they can beat it with Thunder or Thunderbolt, but they have to be weary wary about the OHKO after the boost though. Zapdos is a little bit shakier because it's just as fast as Charizard, (AC) and but it goes down to a Rock Slide. Keeping bulky Pokemon like Suicune or and Snorlax healthy throughout the game is a good way to stop an attempted sweep. Rhydon and Machamp can take a boosted Earthquake if they are kept healthy and can retaliate back with a Rock Slide for a KO. Slowbro is a niche Pokemon that effectively counters Charizard. Charizard is afraid of taking any form of status, (AC) and as it has to cut its health to half to even be threatening, which makes just attacking it when it is in a good way to keep it in check and prevent it from boosting up. Preventing the necessary support Charizard needs to set up is usually enough to render Charizard useless, make sure to not let status get spread too far and try to preserve key Pokemon such as Starmie or the Electrics and Electric-types.

[CREDITS]
Done - thank you so much!

Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank, (AC) and Tentacruel, so it is best to eliminate them as fast as possible. Neutering those is advised.

GP 1/2
I think the intended meaning has been changed a bit with this change to the prose. I'd prefer if the wording used allowed for it to be read as though paralysis/sleep will also work against these.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
I think the intended meaning has been changed a bit with this change to the prose. I'd prefer if the wording used allowed for it to be read as though paralysis/sleep will also work against these.
"Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank, and Tentacruel, so it is best to eliminate them as quickly as possible or inflict them with sleep or paralysis."

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[Overview]

Charizard is the fastest user of Belly Drum in the whole tier and also packs a respectable special punch. However, due to its poor defensive stats and typing, Charizard is unable to fill any defensive roles for your team and is rather dependent on support from its teammates. Compared to other Belly Drum users, it lacks the bulk and recovery options to work consistently and won't be able to overcome most bulky Water-types, but it outshines them with its Speed and the ability to beat walls like Skarmory and Steelix with its powerful Fire Blast. Generally, Charizard needs rather complicated setup, (AC) but, with the right support, this fan-favorite (AH) Fire-type starter can become a powerhouse that can end games much like its anime counterpart.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Belly Drum is a high risk/high reward high-risk, high-reward move that boosts Charizard's Attack to the maximum level. Earthquake and Rock Slide form an arsenal of physical attacks that hits everything in the tier for at least neutral damage. After a Belly Drum, Earthquake gets several notable OHKOs against the likes of Tyranitar, Raikou, Misdreavus, Nidoking, Gengar, and Rhydon. Everything else that doesn't resist it or is immune to it gets 2HKOd 2HKOed. Rock Slide is necessary for Zapdos and the rarely seen Dragonite. It can also come handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky counters such as Snorlax and Suicune. Fire Blast uses Charizard's high Special Attack and Fire typing to get the OHKO on Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, and Exeggutor after Spikes as well as a 2HKO on Cloyster and Heracross.

Usage Tips
========

For a successful Charizard sweep, you want everything that outspeeds it paralyzed or removed completely. That includes Raikou, Starmie, Gengar, Jolteon, and the rarely seen Alakazam. Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank and Tentacruel, so it is best to paralyse paralyze or eliminate them as soon as possible. Many Pokemon such as Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune, and Vaporeon that are slower than Charizard need to be weakened first in order to pull off the sweep. Pokemon like Snorlax, Umbreon, and Mitank are bulky enough to live take any boosted attack, (AC) after the boost and Snorlax threatens Charizard with a KO from Double-Edge, (AH) whereas Miltank and Umbreon threaten it with status such as from Body Slam or Toxic, (AC) respectively. The other issue you have with Charizard is getting a free turn to use Belly Drum without being taken down in the process. Threatening with the immediate OHKO on Steelix, Skarmory, Forretress, or Exeggutor is a good way to force a switch and get off the Belly Drum. It can also be done with Reflect or Light Screen support, through inflicting status to the opposing team, or by channeling your luck with fully paralyzed or sleeping Pokemon on the opposing side. Charizard will usually not get any opportunities to switch out and attempt another sweep at a later point of the game, (AC) which means that very often you will have to go for Speed ties and flinches, which can also make Charizard a powerful standalone threat. It should also be noted that the probability of getting two flinches in a row from Rock Slide is greater than that of getting a critical hit with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Cloyster pairs well with Charizard, as it can use Explosion to take out Suicune, Raikou, Zapdos, and most importantly Starmie. It also provides Spikes support, (AC) which can be used to wear down the Pokemon listed above, other than Zapdos. Paralysis and sleep spreading is quite essential to hit the key Pokemon on the opposing team to attempt a sweep. Exeggutor can be quite useful, since it can inflict both of these status problems thanks to its access to Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; it can also use Explosion on Zapdos, Raikou or Umbreon. Body Slam or Dragon Breath Steelix can also aim for (weird word choice, implies it's trying only once which I figure is not the case) paralysis against Zapdos and can also use Explosion to eliminate bulky Water-types. Dragonite also does a good job of luring in the Electric-types and catching them with Thunder Wave on the switch. Gengar can be an effective teammate because it can land an Explosion against Raikou quite reliably. Snorlax can be used to spread status with Body Slam or Lovely Kiss or take out walls like Suicune with Self-Destruct or Belly Drum. Reflect and/or Light Screen users pair up well with Charizard to support it when it's setting up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Miracle Berry is a great alternative to Leftovers for the Belly Drum set. When paired with Light Screen and/or Reflect support from its teammates, Leftovers may seem redundant, so Miracle Berry may be used to take advantage of Pokemon that may try to cripple Charizard with status-inducing moves such as Gengar's Hypnosis and Snorlax's Body Slam. Charizard barely has any viable other options regarding attacks. Flamethrower misses out on the OHKO on Skarmory; the accuracy may come in handy on occasion, though. Hyper Beam is an interesting option that can eliminate certain bulky Pokemon like Snorlax and Suicune after Spikes. The recharge turn will make Charizard basically useless afterwards, but you can still take down something that Charizard wouldn't be able to otherwise, which can potentially lead to beneficial situations. Sunny Day is a possibility, since not only does it boost Charizard's Fire Blast for useful 2HKOs on Zapdos or Raikou, it also weakens incoming Water-type attacks and makes the common Thunder more inaccurate.

Checks and Counters
=============

Starmie is probably the best counter to Charizard, as it outspeeds it and can take it down with Surf after the Charizard uses Belly Drum. Vaporeon does a similarly good job at handling Charizard, but it is slower. Raikou and Gengar also outspeed Charizard and beat it with Thunder or Thunderbolt, but they have to be wary about the OHKO from a boosted Earthquake. Zapdos is a little bit shakier because it Speed ties with Charizard and it goes down to a boosted Rock Slide. Keeping bulky Pokemon like Suicune and Snorlax healthy throughout the game is a good way to stop an attempted sweep. Rhydon and Machamp can take a boosted Earthquake if they are kept healthy and retaliate back with a Rock Slide for a KO. Slowbro is a niche Pokemon that effectively counters Charizard. Charizard is afraid of taking any form of status, as it has to cut its health by half to be threatening, which makes simply attacking it a good way to keep it in check and prevent it from boosting up. (weird nonsequitur here, "has to be wary of status <for reason x>" -> "just attacking it is a good idea", looks like a step is being skipped in this train of thought?) Preventing the necessary support Charizard needs to set up is usually enough to render it useless, so make sure to not let status conditions get spread too far and try to preserve key Pokemon such as Starmie and the Electric-types.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Empress, 175616], [, ]]

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[Overview]

Charizard is the fastest user of Belly Drum in the whole tier and also packs a respectable special punch. However, due to its poor defensive stats and typing, Charizard is unable to fill any defensive roles for your team and is rather dependent on support from its teammates. Compared to other Belly Drum users, it lacks the bulk and recovery options to work consistently and won't be able to overcome most bulky Water-types, but it outshines them with its Speed and the ability to beat walls like Skarmory and Steelix with its powerful Fire Blast. Generally, Charizard needs rather complicated setup, (AC) but, with the right support, this fan-favorite (AH) Fire-type starter can become a powerhouse that can end games much like its anime counterpart.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Belly Drum is a high risk/high reward high-risk, high-reward move that boosts Charizard's Attack to the maximum level. Earthquake and Rock Slide form an arsenal of physical attacks that hits everything in the tier for at least neutral damage. After a Belly Drum, Earthquake gets several notable OHKOs against the likes of Tyranitar, Raikou, Misdreavus, Nidoking, Gengar, and Rhydon. Everything else that doesn't resist it or is immune to it gets 2HKOd 2HKOed. Rock Slide is necessary for Zapdos and the rarely seen Dragonite. It can also come handy in situations where you need the 30% flinch rate to overcome bulky counters such as Snorlax and Suicune. Fire Blast uses Charizard's high Special Attack and Fire typing to get the OHKO on Skarmory, Steelix, Forretress, and Exeggutor after Spikes as well as a 2HKO on Cloyster and Heracross.

Usage Tips
========

For a successful Charizard sweep, you want everything that outspeeds it paralyzed or removed completely. That includes Raikou, Starmie, Gengar, Jolteon, and the rarely seen Alakazam. Charizard Speed ties with Zapdos, Miltank and Tentacruel, so it is best to paralyse paralyze or eliminate them as soon as possible. Many Pokemon such as Cloyster, Machamp, Marowak, Suicune, and Vaporeon that are slower than Charizard need to be weakened first in order to pull off the sweep. Pokemon like Snorlax, Umbreon, and Mitank are bulky enough to live take any boosted attack, (AC) after the boost and Snorlax threatens Charizard with a KO from Double-Edge, (AH) whereas Miltank and Umbreon threaten it with status such as from Body Slam or Toxic, (AC) respectively. The other issue you have with Charizard is getting a free turn to use Belly Drum without being taken down in the process. Threatening with the immediate OHKO on Steelix, Skarmory, Forretress, or Exeggutor is a good way to force a switch and get off the Belly Drum. It can also be done with Reflect or Light Screen support, through inflicting status to the opposing team, or by channeling your luck with fully paralyzed or sleeping Pokemon on the opposing side. Charizard will usually not get any opportunities to switch out and attempt another sweep at a later point of the game, (AC) which means that very often you will have to go for Speed ties and flinches, which can also make Charizard a powerful standalone threat. It should also be noted that the probability of getting two flinches in a row from Rock Slide is greater than that of getting a critical hit with Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Cloyster pairs well with Charizard, as it can use Explosion to take out Suicune, Raikou, Zapdos, and most importantly Starmie. It also provides Spikes support, (AC) which can be used to wear down the Pokemon listed above, other than Zapdos. Paralysis and sleep spreading is quite essential to hit the key Pokemon on the opposing team to attempt a sweep. Exeggutor can be quite useful, since it can inflict both of these status problems thanks to its access to Sleep Powder and Stun Spore; it can also use Explosion on Zapdos, Raikou or Umbreon. Body Slam or Dragon Breath Steelix can also aim for (weird word choice, implies it's trying only once which I figure is not the case) paralysis against Zapdos and can also use Explosion to eliminate bulky Water-types. Dragonite also does a good job of luring in the Electric-types and catching them with Thunder Wave on the switch. Gengar can be an effective teammate because it can land an Explosion against Raikou quite reliably. Snorlax can be used to spread status with Body Slam or Lovely Kiss or take out walls like Suicune with Self-Destruct or Belly Drum. Reflect and/or Light Screen users pair up well with Charizard to support it when it's setting up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
===========

Miracle Berry is a great alternative to Leftovers for the Belly Drum set. When paired with Light Screen and/or Reflect support from its teammates, Leftovers may seem redundant, so Miracle Berry may be used to take advantage of Pokemon that may try to cripple Charizard with status-inducing moves such as Gengar's Hypnosis and Snorlax's Body Slam. Charizard barely has any viable other options regarding attacks. Flamethrower misses out on the OHKO on Skarmory; the accuracy may come in handy on occasion, though. Hyper Beam is an interesting option that can eliminate certain bulky Pokemon like Snorlax and Suicune after Spikes. The recharge turn will make Charizard basically useless afterwards, but you can still take down something that Charizard wouldn't be able to otherwise, which can potentially lead to beneficial situations. Sunny Day is a possibility, since not only does it boost Charizard's Fire Blast for useful 2HKOs on Zapdos or Raikou, it also weakens incoming Water-type attacks and makes the common Thunder more inaccurate.

Checks and Counters
=============

Starmie is probably the best counter to Charizard, as it outspeeds it and can take it down with Surf after the Charizard uses Belly Drum. Vaporeon does a similarly good job at handling Charizard, but it is slower. Raikou and Gengar also outspeed Charizard and beat it with Thunder or Thunderbolt, but they have to be wary about the OHKO from a boosted Earthquake. Zapdos is a little bit shakier because it Speed ties with Charizard and it goes down to a boosted Rock Slide. Keeping bulky Pokemon like Suicune and Snorlax healthy throughout the game is a good way to stop an attempted sweep. Rhydon and Machamp can take a boosted Earthquake if they are kept healthy and retaliate back with a Rock Slide for a KO. Slowbro is a niche Pokemon that effectively counters Charizard. Charizard is afraid of taking any form of status, as it has to cut its health by half to be threatening, which makes simply attacking it a good way to keep it in check and prevent it from boosting up. (weird nonsequitur here, "has to be wary of status <for reason x>" -> "just attacking it is a good idea", looks like a step is being skipped in this train of thought?) Preventing the necessary support Charizard needs to set up is usually enough to render it useless, so make sure to not let status conditions get spread too far and try to preserve key Pokemon such as Starmie and the Electric-types.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Empress, 175616], [, ]]
Done and addressed your comments. Thank you very much!

All ready to go!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)