Cherrim [4F]

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, so here is the Cherrim update, I pretty much just rewrote everything here, the original poster made it sound very negative. I also added in Hidden Power Ground as an option to the Sunny Day set, as it will allow Cherrim to hit Fire-type switch-ins.

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/cherrim

[SET]
name: Here Comes The Sun
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Protect / GrassWhistle
move 3: Energy Ball / SolarBeam
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground
item: Heat Rock
nature: Modest
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cherrim has the skillset to be a decent Pokemon that can set up Sunny Day. Thanks to Cherrim’s ability Flower Gift, its Attack and Special Defense stat raises by 50% when you have Sunny Day activated. Cherrim’s movepool isn’t that great of a selection to start with, but once you pick out its prime moves you’re left with a fairly decent moveset.</p>

<p>With the sun shining, Cherrim can make use of SolarBeam, which has no charge time and also gets the STAB boost. If you are afraid of other Pokemon changing the weather before you are able to attack, then running Energy Ball would be the safer alternative; risking no chance of one turn charge for less power. If you find yourself not using Hidden Power Fire, then running Hidden Power Ground would be helpful, as it would hurt the Fire-type switch-ins that view Cherrim as an easy target to KO or set up on. Protect is mainly used in 2 vs. 2 matches, while GrassWhistle is used in 1 vs. 1.</p>

<p>The EVs are pretty standard, making use of Cherrim’s Special Defense boost in the sun, and maxing out its Special Attack stat to get the most out of its attacking moves. Heat Rock is your choice for your item, which extends Sunny Day for eight turns rather than five. Running another item over Heat Rock is not recommended as Cherrim is best at setting up its team, rather than sweeping.</p>

<p>Cherrim attracts Fire-type moves like a magnet, so running anything with Flash Fire would be beneficial to your team. Houndoom and Arcanine are perfect examples of Pokemon which run well along side Cherrim, as their STAB Fire-type attacks also get boosted by the sun. Running Water-types like Slowbro can also be helpful, though their Water-type STAB is weakened and not that helpful over all. Of course, it would be beneficial to run Pokemon with Chlorophyll too, as the boost they receive will help your team sweep the opponent.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Cherrim is threatened by anything which would carry a Fire- or Flying-type move, so having a Rock-type Pokemon, such as Regirock, that can fend off these two attacks, would be vital to Cherrim’s survival.</p>

<p>As an offensive Pokemon, Cherrim is rather lacking in its movepool. It either can run Hidden Power Fire for the Sunny Day boost, which lets it hit Steel-type Pokemon harder, or it can run Hidden Power Ground, which will allow Cherrim to hit Fire-type Pokemon that switch in. If you choose to run Hidden Power Fire, then having a Milotic on your team can help take the Fire-type attacks aimed at our little flower friend. Milotic can also hit back with STAB Surf, though the sun removes the STAB boost all together. If you choose to run Hidden Power Ground, then running a Pokemon such as Blaziken or Houndoom can remove the Steel-types in Cherrim’s way.</p>

<p>Defensively, Cherrim needs to avoid Poison-, Fire- and Flying-type attacks like the plague. Running a Steel-type Pokemon can help with both the Poison- and Flying-type weaknesses, but it leaves a clear hole for a Fire-type Pokemon to KO one, if not two Pokemon on your team. Running a Water-type such as Milotic can reduce the damage that Fire-types will cause and can hit back with a super effective STAB Surf.</p>

<p>Cherrim is best at doing the only set it has: setting up Sunny Day for other Pokemon to sweep. Cherrim may have the opportunity to take down a Pokemon or two with its STAB Grass-type attacks and Hidden Power Fire, or Hidden Power Ground, but other than that its options are limited. Having a Pokemon such as Victreebel or Exeggutor as your main sweepers when using Cherrim is your best bet at winning while using it.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cherrim’s movepool is very lacking. Outside of its Normal- and Grass-type moves it learns Toxic, Aromatherapy, Sunny Day, and Rest. Aromatherapy can be used to some extent, but it is generally not as effective as it would be on other, more bulky Pokemon. Leech Seed could be used on Cherrim, but without high enough defenses the HP gained will probably not overtake the HP lost. Cherrim could use Swords Dance in theory with STAB Seed Bomb, but with 70 / 70 / 78 defenses, finding time to set up would be difficult.</p>

[EVs]

<p>When EVing Cherrim it would be best to max its Special Attack and Special Defense stat, allowing Cherrim to deal out some damage while taking some of the weaker special attacks, under active sun, of course.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>Cherrim cannot make use of its unique ability Flower Gift, without using Sunny Day because it only activates when the sun is out. If used in Ubers alongside Groudon you may get some results, but they probably won’t be very good. In 1 vs. 1 play, Cherrim has difficulties setting up Sunny Day, but it can take advantage of the weather at least.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Anything that will carry a Fire- or Flying-type move will counter Cherrim quite nicely. Altaria gets a shout out because it is resistant to both Grass- and Fire-type attacks, the best options Cherrim has when it comes to attacking. Most any Fire-type Pokemon can switch in on Cherrim for a free KO.</p>

Ok, so here is the Cherrim update, I pretty much just rewrote everything here, the original poster made it sound very negative. I also added in Hidden Power Ground as an option to the Sunny Day set, as it will allow Cherrim to hit Fire-type switch-ins.

[SET]
name: Here Comes the Sun

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cherrim lens its skills to be one of the best non-Uber pokemon which can set up Sunny Day. Thanks to Cherrim’s ability, Flower Gift, Cherrim’s Attack and Special Defense stat raise by 50%. Cherrim’s movepool isn’t that great of a selection to start with, but once picking down it’s prime moves, you’re left with a fairly decent moveset. </p>

<p>With the sun shining, Cherrim can make use of SolarBeam, which has no charge time and also gets the STAB boost. If you are afraid of other pokemon changing the weather before you are able to attack, then running Energy Ball would be the safe alternative, risking no chance of charge for less power. If you find yourself not using Hidden Power Fire much, then running Hidden Power Ground would be helpful, as it would hurt the Fire-type switch-ins that view Cherrim as an easy target to KO or set up on. Protect is mainly used in 2 vs. 2 matches, while GrassWhistle is used in 1 vs. 1.</p>

<p>The EVs are pretty standard, making use of Cherrim’s Special Defense boost in the sun, and making out its Special Attack stat to get the most out of its attacking moves. The item, Heat Rock, was used to extend how long Sunny Day will be in effect. Running another item over Heat Rock is not recommended as Cherrim is best at setting up its team, rather than sweeping.</p>

<p>Cherrim attracts Fire-type moves like a magnet; so running anything with Flash Fire would be beneficial to your team. Houndoom and Arcanine are perfect examples of pokemon which run well alongside Cherrim, as their STAB Fire-type attacks also get boosted by the sun. Running Water-types like Slowbro can also be helpful, though their Water-type STAB is weakened and not that helpful over all. Of course, it would be beneficial to run pokemon with Chlorophyll too, as the boost they receive will help your team sweep the opponent.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Cherrim is threatened by anything which would carry a Fire- or Flying-type move, so having a Rock-type pokemon, such as Regirock, that can fend off these two attacks, would be vital to Cherrim’s survival.</p>

<p>As an offensive pokemon, Cherrim is rather lacking by its movepool. It either can run Hidden Power Fire for the Sunny Day boost, which lets it to hit Steel-type pokemon harder, or it can run Hidden Power Ground, which will allow Cherrim to hit Fire-type pokemon that switch in. If you choose to run Hidden Power Fire, then having a Milotic on your team can help take the Fire-type attacks aimed at our little flower friend, Milotic can also hit back with STAB Surf, though the sun removes the STAB boost all together. If you choose to run Hidden Power Ground, then running a pokemon such as Blaziken or Houndoom can remove the Steel-types in Cherrim’s way.</p>

<p>Defensively, Cherrim needs to avoid Poison-, Fire- and Flying-type attacks like the plague. Running a Steel-type pokemon can help with both the Poison- and Flying-type weaknesses, but it leaves a clear hole on your team for a Fire-type pokemon to KO one, if not two pokemon, on your team. Running a Water-type such as Milotic can reduce the damage the Fire-types will cause and can hit back with a super effective STAB Surf.</p>

<p>Cherrim is best at doing the only set it has; setting up Sunny Day for other pokemon to sweep. Cherrim may have the opportunity to take down a pokemon or two with its STAB Grass-type attacks and Hidden Power Fire, or Hidden Power Ground, but other than that its options are limited. Having a pokemon such as Victreebel or Exeggutor as your main sweepers when using Cherrim is your best bet at winning while using it.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cherrim’s movepool is very lacking, outside of its Normal- and Grass-type moves it learns: Toxic, Aromatherapy, Sunny Day, and Rest. Cherrim’s boost to its Attack stat, thanks to Flower Gift, is somewhat of a waste, considering Cherrim’s best physical Grass-type attack is Razor Leaf. Aromatherapy can be used to some extent, but it is generally not as effective as it would be on other more bulky pokemon. Leech Seed could be used on Cherrim, but without high enough defenses, the HP gained will probably not overtake the HP lost.</p>

[EVs]

<p>When EVing Cherrim, it would be best to max its Special Attack and Special Defense stat, allowing Cherrim to deal out some damage while taking some of the weaker special attacks, under active sun, of course.</p>

[Opinion]

Cherrim cannot make use of its ability, Flower Gift, well, as it has to set up its own sunshine. If used in Ubers alongside Groudon, you may get some results, but they probably won’t be very good. In 1 vs. 1 play, Cherrim has difficulties setting up Sunny Day, but it can take advantage of the weather at least.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Anything that will carry a Fire- or Flying-type move will counter Cherrim quite nicely. Alteria gets a shout out because it is resistant to both Grass- and Fire-type attacks, the only options Cherrim has when it comes to attacking.</p>
Not too many proofreading errors here. Nice job.

[SET]
name: Here Comes the Sun

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cherrim lends (misspelled) its skills to be one of the best non-Uber pokemon which can set up Sunny Day. Thanks to Cherrim’s ability, Flower Gift, Cherrim’s Attack and Special Defense stat raise by 50%. Cherrim’s (forgot spaces) movepool isn’t that great of a selection to start with, but once picking down it’s prime moves you’re left with a fairly decent moveset.</p>

<p>With the sun shining, Cherrim can make use of SolarBeam, which has no charge time and also gets the STAB boost. If you are afraid of other Pokemon (pretty sure the "p" needs to be capitalized) changing the weather before you are able to attack, then running Energy Ball would be the safe alternative, risking no chance of charge for less power. If you find yourself not using Hidden Power Fire much, then running Hidden Power Ground would be helpful, as it would hurt the Fire-type switch-ins that view Cherrim as an easy target to KO or set up on. Protect is mainly used in 2 vs. 2 matches, while GrassWhistle is used in 1 vs. 1.</p>

<p>The EVs are pretty standard, making use of Cherrim’s Special Defense boost in the sun, and maxing (you had "making" before) out its Special Attack stat to get the most out of its attacking moves. The item, Heat Rock, was used to extend how long Sunny Day will be in effect. Running another item over Heat Rock is not recommended as Cherrim is best at setting up its team, rather than sweeping.</p>

<p>Cherrim attracts Fire-type moves like a magnet, (comma is better grammatically) so running anything with Flash Fire would be beneficial to your team. Houndoom and Arcanine are perfect examples of Pokemon (caps) which run well along side Cherrim, as their STAB Fire-type attacks also get boosted by the sun. Running Water-types like Slowbro can also be helpful, though their Water-type STAB is weakened and not that helpful over all. Of course, it would be beneficial to run Pokemon (caps) with Chlorophyll too, as the boost they receive will help your team sweep the opponent.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Cherrim is threatened by anything which would carry a Fire- or Flying-type move, so having a Rock-type Pokemon (caps), such as Regirock, that can fend off these two attacks, would be vital to Cherrim’s survival.</p>

<p>As an offensive Pokemon (caps), Cherrim is rather lacking by its movepool. It either can run Hidden Power Fire for the Sunny Day boost, which lets it to hit Steel-type Pokemon (caps) harder, or it can run Hidden Power Ground, which will allow Cherrim to hit Fire-type Pokemon (caps) that switch in. If you choose to run Hidden Power Fire, then having a Milotic on your team can help take the Fire-type attacks aimed at our little flower friend, Milotic can also hit back with STAB Surf, though the sun removes the STAB boost all together. If you choose to run Hidden Power Ground, then running a Pokemon (caps) such as Blaziken or Houndoom can remove the Steel-types in Cherrim’s way.</p>

<p>Defensively, Cherrim needs to avoid Poison-, Fire- and Flying-type attacks like the plague. Running a Steel-type Pokemon (caps) can help with both the Poison- and Flying-type weaknesses, but it leaves a clear hole on your team for a Fire-type Pokemon (caps) to KO one, if not two Pokemon (caps) on your team. Running a Water-type such as Milotic can reduce the damage the Fire-types will cause and can hit back with a super effective STAB Surf.</p>

<p>Cherrim is best at doing the only set it has: (colon makes more sense than semi-colon) setting up Sunny Day for other Pokemon (caps) to sweep. Cherrim may have the opportunity to take down a Pokemon (caps) or two with its STAB Grass-type attacks and Hidden Power Fire, or Hidden Power Ground, but other than that its options are limited. Having a Pokemon (caps) such as Victreebel or Exeggutor as your main sweepers when using Cherrim is your best bet at winning while using it.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cherrim’s movepool is very lacking, outside of its Normal- and Grass-type moves it learns Toxic, Aromatherapy, Sunny Day, and Rest. Cherrim’s boost to its Attack stat thanks to Flower Gift, is somewhat of a waste, considering Cherrim’s best physical Grass-type attack is Seed Bomb, so you may get some use out of it. Aromatherapy can be used to some extent, but it is generally not as effective as it would be on other more bulky Pokemon (caps). Leech Seed could be used on Cherrim, but without high (removed "a") enough defenses the HP gained will probably not overtake the HP lost.</p>

[EVs]

<p>When EVing Cherrim it would be best to max its Special Attack and Special Defense stat, allowing Cherrim to deal out some damage while taking some of the weaker special attacks, under active sun, of course.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>Cherrim cannot make use of its ability, Flower Gift, well as it has to set up its own sunshine. If used in Ubers along side Groudon (no need for both "side" and "with", pick one and remove the other, I just chose "side" because it was first) you may get some results, but they probably won’t be very good. In 1 vs. 1 play, Cherrim has difficulties setting up Sunny Day, but it can take advantage of the weather at least.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Anything that will carry a Fire- or Flying-type move will counter Cherrim quite nicely. Alteria gets a shout out because it is 4x (not really a grammatical change, but plenty of Pokemon, including all Fire-types, resist both Grass and Fire attacks so I don't see the point of the mention otherwise) resistant to both Grass- and Fire-type attacks, the only options Cherrim has when it comes to attacking.</p>
I don't know if the word "Pokemon" is usually capitalized in analyses, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I hope this isn't a joke post either...

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know if the word "Pokemon" is usually capitalized in analyses, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I hope this isn't a joke post either...
I added in Fire-types in the counters section, thank you for your grammar checking. I don't see why someone would do this as a joke post. All the pokemon analysis need to be revamped, and if no one is going to touch the "bad Pokemon" then I guess I will do some of them.

I added in Fire-types in the counters section, thank you for your grammar checking. I don't see why someone would do this as a joke post. All the pokemon analysis need to be revamped, and if no one is going to touch the "bad Pokemon" then I guess I will do some of them.
I was actually saying to add in the "4x" part with my fix, not the Fire-types part. >.> I suppose you do have a point about the "bad Pokemon" thing too, it just seemed odd to me to post it in UU Revamps when I doubt it's even used much in NU (although that might be hard to tell since NU doesn't have its own ladder yet).

Also, is a physical set really that bad on Cherrim? Thanks to Flower Gift's boost, even a Jolly Cherrim will have higher ATK than a Modest one will have SATK, and Grass/Normal gets pretty good coverage from what I can tell, being resisted only by Registeel, Magneton, Haunter, and Drifblim in UU (and the last two are rarely used). It also gets Swords Dance too, so an offensive version seems possible in theory, especially since noone will be expecting it.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
2c

[Set]

<p>Cherrim has the skillset (It sounds awkward, lending sounds out of place, maybe rewording it a bit?) to be one of the best non-Uber Pokemon who (replaced)can set up Sunny Day. Thanks to Cherrim’s ability(removed comma) Flower Gift, Cherrim’s Attack and Special Defense stat raises (add s)by 50% when you have Sunny Day activated (added this to expand the explanation of ability). Cherrim’s movepool isn’t that great of a selection to start with, but once picking down it’s prime moves you’re left with a fairly decent moveset.</p>

<p>With the sun shining, Cherrim can make use of SolarBeam, which has no charge time and also gets the STAB boost. If you are afraid of other Pokemon changing the weather before you are able to attack, then running Energy Ball would be the safer (added r) alternative; risking no chance of one turn (expanded)charge for less power. If you find yourself not using Hidden Power Fire (removed much), then running Hidden Power Ground would be helpful, as it would hurt the Fire-type switch-ins that view Cherrim as an easy target to KO or set up on. Protect is mainly used in 2 vs. 2 matches, while GrassWhistle is used in 1 vs. 1.</p>

<p>The EVs are pretty standard, making use of Cherrim’s Special Defense boost in the sun, and maxing out its Special Attack stat to get the most out of its attacking moves. (removed the item,)Heat Rock is your choice for your item, which extends Sunny Day for eight turns rather than five(reworded it abit, it sounded awkward). Running another item over Heat Rock is not recommended as Cherrim is best at setting up its team, rather than sweeping.</p>
[Opinion]

<p>Cherrim cannot make use of its unique ability Flower Gift, without using Sunny Day because it only activates when the sun is out. (sounded awkward, expanded a bit)If used in Ubers along side Groudon you may get some results, but they probably won’t be very good. In 1 vs. 1 play, Cherrim has difficulties setting up Sunny Day, but it can take advantage of the weather at least.</p>
[Counters]

<p>Anything that will carry a Fire- or Flying-type move will counter Cherrim quite nicely. Altaria gets a shout out because it is resistant to both Grass- and Fire-type attacks, the best options Cherrim has when it comes to attacking. Though most any Fire-type Pokemon can switch in on Cherrim for a free KO.</p>

[SET]
name: Here Comes The Sun

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cherrim has the skillset to be one of the best non-Uber Pokemon who can set up Sunny Day. Thanks to Cherrim’s ability Flower Gift, its Attack and Special Defense stat raises by 50% when you have Sunny Day activated. Cherrim’s movepool isn’t that great of a selection to start with, but once you pick out its (no apostrophe) prime moves you’re left with a fairly decent moveset.</p>

<p>With the sun shining, Cherrim can make use of SolarBeam, which has no charge time and also gets the STAB boost. If you are afraid of other Pokemon changing the weather before you are able to attack, then running Energy Ball would be the safer alternative; risking no chance of one turn charge for less power. If you find yourself not using Hidden Power Fire, then running Hidden Power Ground would be helpful, as it would hurt the Fire-type switch-ins that view Cherrim as an easy target to KO or set up on. Protect is mainly used in 2 vs. 2 matches, while GrassWhistle is used in 1 vs. 1.</p>

<p>The EVs are pretty standard, making use of Cherrim’s Special Defense boost in the sun, and maxing out its Special Attack stat to get the most out of its attacking moves. Heat Rock is your choice for your item, which extends Sunny Day for eight turns rather than five. Running another item over Heat Rock is not recommended as Cherrim is best at setting up its team, rather than sweeping.</p>

<p>Cherrim attracts Fire-type moves like a magnet, so running anything with Flash Fire would be beneficial to your team. Houndoom and Arcanine are perfect examples of Pokemon which run well along side Cherrim, as their STAB Fire-type attacks also get boosted by the sun. Running Water-types like Slowbro can also be helpful, though their Water-type STAB is weakened and not that helpful over all. Of course, it would be beneficial to run Pokemon with Chlorophyll too, as the boost they receive will help your team sweep the opponent.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Cherrim is threatened by anything which would carry a Fire- or Flying-type move, so having a Rock-type Pokemon, such as Regirock, that can fend off these two attacks, would be vital to Cherrim’s survival.</p>

<p>As an offensive Pokemon, Cherrim is rather lacking in its movepool. It either can run Hidden Power Fire for the Sunny Day boost, which lets it (removed 'to') hit Steel-type Pokemon harder, or it can run Hidden Power Ground, which will allow Cherrim to hit Fire-type Pokemon that switch in. If you choose to run Hidden Power Fire, then having a Milotic on your team can help take the Fire-type attacks aimed at our little flower friend. (period, not comma) Milotic can also hit back with STAB Surf, though the sun removes the STAB boost all together. If you choose to run Hidden Power Ground, then running a Pokemon such as Blaziken or Houndoom can remove the Steel-types in Cherrim’s way.</p>

<p>Defensively, Cherrim needs to avoid Poison-, Fire- and Flying-type attacks like the plague. Running a Steel-type Pokemon can help with both the Poison- and Flying-type weaknesses, but it leaves a clear hole (removed 'on your team') for a Fire-type Pokemon to KO one, if not two Pokemon on your team. Running a Water-type such as Milotic can reduce the damage that (not 'the) Fire-types will cause and can hit back with a super effective STAB Surf.</p>

<p>Cherrim is best at doing the only set it has: setting up Sunny Day for other Pokemon to sweep. Cherrim may have the opportunity to take down a Pokemon or two with its STAB Grass-type attacks and Hidden Power Fire, or Hidden Power Ground, but other than that its options are limited. Having a Pokemon such as Victreebel or Exeggutor as your main sweepers when using Cherrim is your best bet at winning while using it.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cherrim’s movepool is very lacking. (period, not comma) Outside of its Normal- and Grass-type moves it learns Toxic, Aromatherapy, Sunny Day, and Rest. Aromatherapy can be used to some extent, but it is generally not as effective as it would be on other, (add a comma) more bulky Pokemon. Leech Seed could be used on Cherrim, but, without high enough defenses, the HP gained will probably not overtake the HP lost. Cherrim could use Swords Dance in theory with STAB Seed Bomb, but with 70 / 70 / 78 defenses, finding time to set up would be difficult.</p>

[EVs]

[Opinion]

<p>Cherrim cannot make use of its unique ability Flower Gift, without using Sunny Day because it only activates when the sun is out. If used in Ubers alongside (all one word) Groudon you may get some results, but they probably won’t be very good. In 1 vs. 1 play, Cherrim has difficulties setting up Sunny Day, but it can take advantage of the weather at least.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Anything that will carry a Fire- or Flying-type move will counter Cherrim quite nicely. Altaria gets a shout out because it is resistant to both Grass- and Fire-type attacks, the best options Cherrim has when it comes to attacking. Most ('though' sounded confusing) any Fire-type Pokemon can switch in on Cherrim for a free KO.</p>

Overall, only a few minor grammatical errors. It's nowhere near as negative anymore, either.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<p>Cherrim has the skillset to be one of the best non-Uber Pokemon who can set up Sunny Day.
I really, really question this intro. It probably has the best non uber ability ralting to the Sun, but it's really a bad Sunny Day setupper compared to other Pokémon (crobat) and a bad mon in general.

Matthew

Thanks for the check, Dummy, I edited in your comments. Yeah Chris, I removed the hyperbole, it's better now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)