ORAS OU Childhood Memories: Mega Banette Balance (1500+)

What are your thoughts on Mega Banette?

• It's viable, and can be used in OU.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • It's trash, and has no place in OU.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • It had a mega? OMG

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Halloween Came EARLY

Mega Banette. A Pokemon nearly non-existent in the OU metagame, but sadly for good reason. With it's abysmal speed and subpar defenses, Mega Banette is a hard Pokemon to utilize. But if done correctly, Mega Banette is a obscenely powerful utility Pokemon, with it's Prankster ability and it's movepool of curses and cripples. Banette has been a personal favorite of mine anyways from Gen 3, so I wanted to build a team that appreciates Mega Banette while at the same time support it. The team does pretty well, peaking at 1587. To break through to 1600, I need your help. So without further ado, the team.
~Alohan Agumon

Teambuilding

We start off with Mega Banette, a powerful utility Pokemon that breaks down stall with ease, with Taunt and Will-o-Wisp.

As stated above, Mega Banette's defenses are subpar, meaning I needed walls or tanks to take the hits for me. Furthermore, I needed to block foes like Mega Lopunny as they can easily OHKO Meganette. I brought in Tangrowth for it's skyhigh physical bulk and it works well with Meganette to plague the opponent with status and curses.

Mega Banette needs status healing and wish passing to function to it's best, with no form of recovery or status healing, so it can get whittled down quickly. I added Vaporeon, supporting Tangrowth with it's typing, plus it's ability Water Absorb is much appreciated since Specs Hydro Pump/Steam Eruption brings down even Tangrowth.

I had no resistance to dark types, which destroy Meganette. I also had no power to cleanup after the crippling of my Meganette and Tangrowth. After much thinking, I added Volcarona. It fits amazingly on my team, forming a FWG core with Vaporeon and Tangrowth whilst taking dark types easily with it's bug typing. Volc gives me a solid wincon and sweeper to sweep up what's left of the opponent.

With the addition of Volcarona, hazard removal was much needed. Plus, I needed hazards on the opposing side of the field to help whittle down the opponent in addition to Meganette's crippling moves. To fulfill both conditions at once, I brought it BulkDrill.

To bring in Meganette safely, I needed a slow VoltTurner. Rotom-W fit nicely due it's natural bulk and status moves helping to further cripple the opponent.

If you saw a glaring Mega Venusaur weakness, then you're spot on. Mega Venusaur completely wiped my team. Volcarona can't even take it out well due to Thick Fat and it could simply Sleep Powder Volcarona. So I switched out Rotom-W for Tornadus-T. I may have lost my slow VoltTurn and crippling, but I still keep a VoltTurn and kill Mega Venu easier, while also providing a nice true ground immunity.

Thanks to a suggestion from Millionsunz (good guy), Vaporeon has been replaced by Slowbro. While Wish and Heal Bell are much appreciated, Slowbro does everything Vaporeon does (except the Wish and Heal Bell above) better, it forms a nice Regenerator core with Torn-T and Tang, and Heal Bell is already handled through my various team members (Meganette taunts that, Excadrill is immune to TWave and Toxic, Volc is immune to Will-o-Wisp, Tangrowth handles Spore, Slowbro doesn't care unless it's Toxic). Wish would be misses but I now gain some power against the almighty Birdspam.

In-Depth Look

Jammies (Banette) @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond

Kicking off our RMT is Jammies the Mega Banette. Jammies functions as a powerful utility Pokemon, spinblocker, and stallbreaker. Frisk is a very good ability to have on Meganette before Mega Evolving, as it allows me to find out what set the opposing Pokemon has. For example, I lead with Banette as he throws out Lando-T. I get to tell what set he is through his item, losing his surprise factor and swinging the battle in my favor. Taunt completely shuts down any wall, especially Chansey as it can't hit Meganette with Seismic Toss, forcing a switch for more crippling. Will-o-Wisp cripples physical attackers and sweepers, as well as whittle down walls effectively since they can't heal. Knock Off is a powerful utility move in Meganette's hand, with it's base 165 Attack stat and item-removing ability, crippling many item-reliant Pokemon (Walls with Lefties, Chansey with Eviolite, Choiced mons). Destiny Bond is a last-ditch kill switch, meaning Jammies has a 100% chance to bring down a Pokemon with Prankster giving it priority, opening holes in the team for my team to exploit. The EVs give Jammies as much bulk as possible to somewhat take hits, and power to put behind his Knock Off.

Dente (Tangrowth) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Next on the list is Dente the Tangrowth. Dente is my physical wall to take hits Meganette can't, and spreads status with Meganette to cripple the opponent. Rocky Helmet is the chosen item over Lefties for the chip damage weakening key targets for Volcarona to finish off, and that Regenerator and Leech Seed give me passive recovery anyway, Leech Seed in particular giving it to the whole team, rejuvenating Meganette and the others. Sleep Powder stops sweepers in their tracks in the midst of setting up, allowing for an easy kill. Giga Drain is a powerful STAB that compensates for the lack of Lefties in Giga Drain. Knock Off is self-explanatory (see above). The SpD EVs allow Tangrowth to tank an Ice Beam from LO Starmie, with the remaining dumped into physical bulk and HP to maximise Regenerator and take hits easily.

Shelldon (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

As the bulky water of the team, physical wall, and Birdspam check, we have Shelldon the Slowbro. Shelldon forms a powerful Regenerator core with Dente up there and the upcoming Torn-T below, essentially creating a sturdy self-sustaining wall that can take hits and just heal right back up. Leftovers is the chosen item for some passive recovery that adds to Shelldon's massive bulk. Scald is one of the most spammable STABs in the game, and can cripple the opponent through dank burns, making it a must-have for the Bro. Psyshock is the other STAB, that handles fighting types, most notably Mega Lopunny and Keldeo, which if left unchecked, would ravage this team. TWave completely halts sweeps and shuts down speedy mons that can run through this team, such as Megazard Y on the switch or the aforementioned Mega Lopunny. Slack Off keeps Shelldon up and healthy in the battlefield, increasing his longevity a thousandfold. The EVs are pretty standard, making Slowbro as physically bulky as possible while avoiding the 2HKO from Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump. The 0 IVs let Shelldon take less damage from Foul Play.

Jamal's Mixtape (Volcarona) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

To complete the FWG core and function as a special sweeper and wallbreaker, we have Jamal's Mixtape, aka Volcarona. This bad boy is sheer fire, with one of the best setup moves in the game, Quiver Dance boosting it's power, speed and special bulk to crazy heights to roast the opponent. The item used to be a Lum Berry, but thanks to a helpful suggestion by Millionsunz, it has been changed to a Passho Berry to handle Manaphy and Azumarill easier and efficently. Fiery Dance is a powerful STAB that, after a Quiver Dance, hits like a truck and has the potential to boost Volc's power EVEN MOAR. Giga Drain is to hit those water types and regain health lost, sustaining Volc to continue sweeping. Bug Buzz is the last move, shredding dark and psychic types, most notably the Lati twins. The EVs give this mixtape some bulk while at the same time amping it's power to the max and outspeeds Landorus-T (outspeeds the scarfed variant after a Quiver Dance).

Jamal (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

You can't have Jamal's mixtape without Jamal. Jamal functions as a potent special tank, hazard setter and hazard removal. BulkDrill is very uncommon in this meta, and it is hilariously easy to bluff a Scarf set, since even without investment, EQ does a lot of damage. Furthermore, with two immunities and an immunity to Toxic, BulkDrill is actually very strong and useful. Leftovers gives Jamal some passive healing since it has no form of recovery on it's own. Mold Breaker is amazing, since I can EQ levitating Pokemon and Stealth Rock against Magic Bouncers. Stealth Rock whittles down the opponent well for Volc and the rest to take advantage off and kill. Rapid Spin removes hazards for Volcarona to freely switch in and sweep. EQ is a irreplaceable STAB that does a surprisingly high amount of damage. Iron Head is a fairykiller, something my team needs. The EVs maximise Jamal's special bulk.

Bebop (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rounding off my team is my bulky offensive pivot, and wallbreaker, Bebop the Tornadus-T. If anyone gets the reference I made with this name, I'll, for one, be very happy and shout you out in my next RMT. Back to Torn-T, it forms a nice Regenerator core, with bulk on both sides (physical from Tangrowth, special from AV). AV is chosen to be able to tank special hits well, and somewhat replicate the bulk lost from replacing Rotom-W. Hurricane is an obscenely powerful STAB that breaks down even the sturdiest walls. The confusion bonus is nice too. Superpower hits the steel and rocks types that resist Hurricane, as well as Chansey. U-Turn keeps the momentum of my team high and active, to continuously pressure the opponent. Knock Off...well you know how it works. The Speed EVs make Bebop as fast as possible to check and outspeed certain threats to this team, such as Keldeo and Alakazam, while the SpAtk EVs guarantee the OHKO on Keldeo with Hurricane. The remaining are dumped into HP to maximise Bebop's bulk, as well as make it's HP odd to take less damage from Stealth Rocks.

Threatlist
+

Offensive LO Starmie can potentially shit on my whole team. Hydro Pump destroys Meganette and Excadrill. Ice Beam brings down Tangrowth after rocks and Torn-T. Tbolt 2HKOs Slowbro. To counter this, Volc has to be alive and full health. Otherwise, you have to sack something for the faster Torn-T to come up and KO.

If Tornadus-T is dead, M-Venu you a lot of trouble, especially the defensive set (Leech Seed, Synthesis, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb). It effectively walls my team and I have to resort to either Prankster Bonding it or slowly whittling it down with cripples, through Synthesis makes this a hard and tedious task.

Stealth Rocks need to be up if I stand a chance against Megazard Y. If not, it destroys my team, resorting in a Prankster Bond. Sun-boosted Fire Blasts/Flamethrowers suck, and Solar Beam shuts down Slowbro. If for some reason I can't Prankster Bond it, I either try my luck with a 50% accuracy Hurricane with Torn-T or stall out the sun.

I have no switchins to this, and it does damage to nearly everything. Stealth Rocks must be up and dank plays between Slowbro and Tangrowth must be made to whittle it down with it's LO and Tang's Rocky Helmet.

Having no fairy attacks means this walls my ENTIRE team. Volcarona can kill it, but it's paired with Chansey and it's hazards, meaning I can't switch out. I can't even Rapid Spin due to Mega Sable's Ghost typing.

Well, that's the team. Hope to see your rates and responses soon!
~Alohan Agumon

Last edited:
HAve you tried HP rock on torn T? it could be used as a lure for some of you threats effectively weakening them enough. I mean, your team becomes weaker to Starmie.

HP Rock? It sounds quite interesting honestly, but then I would lose coverage with either Knock Off or U-Turn, thus making LO Starmie a bigger threat than it already is, and it's already the biggest threat to my team. I will still try it though. Thanks for the advice.

Your team was Very nice man but I want to suggest you something that would be useful.First of all Change your Volcarona to CM Rest Talk Suicune with Bold Nature 252 Def and 252 HP. You now have a Set up sweeper. Change your Excadrill into a Adamant 252 Atk and 252 Speed With Choice Scarf and Mold Breaker , This will act as a Revenge killer and also removes hazard. Also Remove Tangrowth and add a Heatran with SpDef Capacity to deal with Talonflames and Serperiors and also Stealth rock Support. Remove Vaporeon and add a Amoonguss with Bold Nature And Run Spore , Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog , Synthesis , Giga Drain on it. Also remove Tornadus and add a Landorus-T with Substitute , Smack Down , Bulk Up and Earthquake . The Sub Lando works well on your team and also Works as another set up sweeper. run Leftovers on Lando-T , Suicune and Heatran . Run Black Sludge on Amoonguss.The Team got better bulk now.

Well That Amoonguss set is v weak to Starmie so Run a Ferrothorn with Sassy Nature to Deal with LO Starmie and Manaphy and run a Stealth rock on Ferro. Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs is better. remove Heatran and Run Rotom-W or Run Zapdos to deal with T Flames. If u want to keep heatran you can.

Hey Alohan Agumon cool team. A few suggestions however :)

Fully Offensive < Passho Semi-Bulky

Having Volcarona hold a Passho Berry allows it to not be revenge killed by either Banded or BD Azumarill, and allows Volcarona to tank a hit from Pokemon like Specs Keldeo and TG Manaphy (having a chance to live a +3 Surf and living a Specs Hydro Pump) and set up a QD, and then retaliate with a strong STAB Bug Buzz or Giga Drain, which 2HKOs Manaphy and has a decent chance of OHKOing Keldeo after Stealth Rock damage. With the specific EV spread, Volcarona is able to outspeed normal Landorus-T and Scarf LandoT at +1.

Vaporeon < Slowbro

Vaporeon has a nice niche in OU, but it's UU for a reason. Slowbro is superior to Vaporeon in pretty much every way, only lacking the ability to pass Wishes. Moreover, Slowbro is able to function as a great Bird Check, something your team currently lacks. With Pokemon like Volcarona and Tangrowth, a check to Pokemon like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame is greatly needed. Slowbro provides all of this, but also forms a neat Regenerator core with Tangrowth and Tornadus-T. Slowbro also provides Speed control in Thunder Wave, allowing you to beat Pokemon like Charizard-X and Mega Lopunny, two very prominent Pokemon that can blow through your team.

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 24 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Hi Millionsunz, thanks for the rate. I absolutely love the Volcarona, it effectively kills the threat of Manaphy and LO Starmie since I can setup on them and proceed to sweep the enemy. However, I'm not too sure about the Slowbro, though I am leaning towards your decision. Volcanion's been running rampant lately and it can effectively destroy my team, since I lost my Water Absorb. Plus, this makes Mega Banette more vulnerable, since it gets whittled down easily. But, as you said, Slowbro is a very good Birdcheck, and very valuable too because of that one RMT Birdspam team that everyone's running now (if you fight it 4 times in a row, something's wrong), and it blocks Keldeo quite efficiently, something my team appreciates. Still testing that Slowbro but the Volcarona is amazing, thanks so much.

Oh and thanks Ash and Charizard for the rate, but I don't think I'll heed your advice. Not to be too harsh, when I want to improve my team, I really don't want to change the whole thing. Besides, if I do implement the changes, the team just lost it's synergy with Mega Banette, and thus I need to probably change said mega and then lose my team's identity. Thanks for trying however, I'll try the changes ONE BY ONE so I can see how it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)