Christmas Vacation

Introduction:
Hey guys, Trevorpoke here bringing you my 2nd RMT on this site, and my 1st Gen 6 RMT! With, Christmas coming close, and everyone is going to be posting there Hail RMTs, I figured I would be the first to do so. So, if you haven't guessed already this is a Hail team but, it has a twist. I decided to base it around the monstrosity known as Mega-Abomasnow. If you don't know already, Ice is my favorite type and I was really hyped when I first saw Abomasnow's new Mega form. Of course I started building teams around this thing, I tried Semi Trick Room, Hyper Offense, and then I tried to make a Defensive Balanced team, which is the team I'm going to be bringing you guys today. It's based around an offensive core using Mega-Abomasnow and Talonflame. I decided to call this team Christmas Vacation, a movie which I've seen way too many times. Without further ado, here is a look at the team:

Team Building Process:

I started off with Mega-Abomasnow, of course. I really wanted to make a solid team with him on it. Also for every team member I thought long and hard about which pokemon to choose, but I will not list all of the reasons, just the main ones.

The next pokemon I chose was Gliscor, covering most pokemon that threat Abomasnow, such as Lucario and most Fighting types in general. I gave it U-Turn to give Abomasnow some momentum vs Opposing Rotom-W.

Afterwards I chose Sableye, which is in my opinion the BEST counter to Mega-Kangaskhan, however I think that Mega-Kangaskhan was banned, because I never see it anymore. Sableye acts as a secondary counter to Fighting types and a decent spinblocker.

Noticing how weak I was to Talonflame, I decided to add Tyranitar. He works as a good Stealth Rocker and a strong Pursuiter. Gengar's like to come in on Gliscor, so I U-Turn into Tyranitar and then they're trapped.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Talonflame was added because of the countless times I've been swept by them, and the fantastic offensive synergy it pairs with Abomasnow. Rotom-W, the most commonly seen counter to Talonflame just gives free reign for Abomasnow.

Finally I added Tentacruel. Countering Greninja, laying out Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spinning, and countering Nasty Plot Mega-Lucario, probably the biggest threat in the OU metagame atm. Tentacruel was a great final pokemon. So I haven't made any changes to the team as of now since it's been working out fantastic. Now, let's get into the indivisuals of each pokemon.

Yeti (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

Mega-Abomasnow will start off the team by having the most powerful Blizzard in the game. This thing is honestly just amazing, and when giving a free switch in, will destroy anything in it's path, allowing an easier time for it's teammates. It's speed is honestly horrible, but it makes for that with a powerful Ice Shard, revenge killing Dragons, Diggersby, and weakened pokemon such as Alakazam, Gengar, Charizard etc. Wood Hammer is extremely powerful, OHKOing Tyranitars, Blisseys and just about everything that doesn't resist it. I don't really like the recoil and I could run Energy Ball over it because of it's boosted power, but for the Pokemon stated above I think Wood Hammers worth it. Earthquake is a good move when expecting Lucarios, Steels and Fire types, but I don't use it too often, especially when I could use my main STABs without worrying about predicting. Finally we have Blizzard, an amazing offensive move that, when paired with Earthquake, has near perfect coverage. Finally I have Max Special Attack and Attack EVs, to give it the most firepower as possible. Some possible changes are Quiet nature over Brave, and Energy Ball over Wood Hammer if enough people tell me.

Batman (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 Def / 244 HP / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic

So here's Gliscor, one of the most annoying pokemon to face. This thing is my main counter to SD Aegislash, Fighting Types and physical sweepers. I'm not using that ridiculous Sub-Toxic set. I went ahead and used what I thought would benefit my team the most, a defensive pivot. U-Turn on this set is an amazing scouting move, and turns pokemon like Rotom-W gaining momentum for me. Earthquake is an obvious powerful STAB move here, KOing Fire Types, Steel types and dealing heavy damage to Tyranitar. Roost is a fantastic move for Gliscor, and is very helpful for staying healthy vs pokemon such as Talonflame. Finally we have Toxic. I chose this move over Taunt because sometime getting off the Toxic on stuff like Rotom-W is more helpful then gaining momentum on. Toxic also cripples pokemon such as Politoed, and bulky Water Types or just bulky pokemon in general. The EVs here are different then the "on-site set" because I wanted to take hits from pokemon like Diggersby, and at the time, Mega Blaziken. I have a bit of speed on there to outpace opposing Gliscor's who run Max HP, Max Defense. Some possible changes are maybe Stone Edge, Rock Slide or Ice Fang over Toxic to better deal with Talonflame/Dragons, but Toxic cripples them anyway.

Gemz (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
- Foul Play/Knock Off

So at the time, this was the best Mega-Kangaskhan counter, and Mega-Kanga was seen on just about every team. So how could you ignore this little guy? He completely ruins stall with Taunt and Will-O-Wisp, while also shutting down many physical attackers. Unfortunately Fairy type moves completely ruin him, but I think running Sableye is still worth it. But I think having priority on all of his non-attacking moves is worth it. Sableye acts as another counter to SD Mega-Lucario, especially because most run Ice Punch. Anyways, Will-O-Wisp is an obvious move to shut down physicaly attackers, and it got a new buff this gen so it will rarely miss. Recover is helpful for staying alive, and Taunt is really good for shutting down pokemon such as Gliscor and Ferrothorn. Finally Foul Play is a good final slot move, destroying pokemon such as Scizor and Garchomp, but Knock Off is a good choice if you're tired of stall. But usually I prefer Foul Play. The EVs are standard, but 4 Speed helps outpace opposing Sableye and Taunt them, since most run 4 Special Defense EVs over the 4 Speed.

Barney (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Now we have Tyranitar, an interesting choice to use on a Hail team, but because of the weather nerf, it's surprisingly viable. It helps a ton vs Talonflames, Gengars, Alakazams, and it provides me with the ever so helpful Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is a really good pokemon in this meta, because it is one of the 4 viable Stealth Rockers. I'm sure there's more, but for OU standards that's about it, so you're kinda limited to use Tyranitar, Mamoswine, Smeargle or Aggron on every one of your teams, unless you use a defogger. Anyways I'm rambling. Stealth Rock is an obvious move and is extremely helpful for Talonflames. Crunch is a reliable STAB hitting just about everything for neutral damage due to the Steel type nerf. Pursuit is amazing for trapping Gengar and Alakazam, and Stone Edge is my move of choice vs Talonflames, a giant threat in this meta. I run Chople Berry over Leftovers because I need to take Focus Blasts from Gengar and Alakazam. I can't run Assault Vest because I absolutely need Stealth Rocks. Some possible changes are more Defense EVs for countering Talonflame better.

Gale (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 164 Spd/ 92 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Alright so say hello to one of the biggest threats in the metagame, Talonflame. Capable of revenge killing SO many pokemon that I don't have the time to list them (Lazy Me). Gale Wings was such a blessing to this pokemon that without it, i doubt it would've got even 25% of the usage that it does get. Wether it be Choice Band, SD or Bulk Up, this pokemon is always a giant threat. I decided to go with the Bulk Up set to set up easier vs Aegislash, Scizor and even Lucario. Brave Bird is so obvious but it;s absolutely worth it even with the recoil. Flare Blitz has fantastic coverage with Brave Bird so you can't possibly ignore it. Finally we have Roost over U-Turn, Tailwind or Steel Wing because Roost is obviously the better option on a bulk up set. Roost just helps a lot more VS Steel types for much easier set up. The EVs may seem weird to you, but it helps outspeed Timid Zapdos, which is all you need to outspeed so then you can hit it with a powerful Flare Blitz. Possible changes are to run SD over Bulk Up.

Sushi (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Spd / 240 SDef
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Knock Off

Finally we have Tentacruel, such a good pokemon and does It's role completely fine. It's main role is to support my team with Rapid Spin, but when testing it also helped out by spreading Toxic Spikes, burning things with Scald, and taking off opponents items with Knock Off. It helps out counter Greninja, Charizard Y and Nasty Plot Mega-Lucario. So it's moves are pretty standard. I like Toxic Spikes over Toxic because Jellicent doesn't exist yet since this IS a pre-poke bank team. Toxic Spikes helps out against some Mega Pokemon such as Mega Chomp, Heracross and Gardevoir, while also hurting opposing Tyranitars. Rapid Spin is an obvious move and the reason why I chose this pokemon in the first place, since my team was rather weak to entry hazards. Scald is once again an obvious move, and has a sick animation in Pokemon X/Y. Finally Knock Off is an amazing move as it got boosted power and is able to wreck stall. Liquid Ooze over Rain Dish because Leech Seeders like Ferrothorn and Chesnaught would regret what they have done. Max HP and Max Special Defense to counter the pokemon listed at the beginning the best as possible. Some possible changes are more physical bulk for countering Talonflame (A GIANT threat if you haven't figured out already).

Conclusion:
I had a lot of fun testing this team and was overall impressed. It took me a long time to make this so if any of you could rate this that'd be great. And of course, an early Merry Christmas to all you smogon users. Also feel free to test out the team!

Importable:
Yeti (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

Batman (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 Def / 244 HP / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic

Gemz (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Barney (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Gale (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 164 Spd / 88 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Sushi (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Spd / 240 SDef
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Knock Off

Last edited:

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think an effective way to minimize redundancies on your team is to give Gliscor Taunt over U-turn and replace Sableye altogether. Sableye is not that great of a pokemon when its not healing leftovers (due to weather). Gliscor does very well against stall by being immune to any form of status, taunt and it works well under sand.

I would replace Sableye with a Mandibuzz so that you can give Tyranitar leftovers. A specially defensive Mandibuzz allows you take those focus blasts from alakazam and gengar and not have to rely on Ttar to take over half of its hp in trying to deal with them. This increases Tyranitar's longevity and gives you another solid pokemon to deal with more defensive teams. Overcoat helps with the weather too.

Mehnidibuzz (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off / Foul Play / Taunt / Toxic
- Knock Off / Foul Play / Taunt / Toxic

I believe U-turn is a better option on Talonflame ove bulk up to get some momentum and decent chip damage for easy KO's later on in the game. U-turn is going to be more valuable in more games than bulk up will and bulk up only helps in a few matchups.

Lastly I would replace rapid spin on tentacruel with giga drain or toxic on tentacruel. Rotom-W is a bit annoying to your team and being able to bait it in with Tentacruel and wear it down with toxic or gigadrain makes it more manageable.

Hope I helped!

Hey chimpact, thanks for the rate. Mandibuzz sounds like a really good option and I was thinking about using it myself so I will definitely be trying it out. I think I'll go with Knock Off and Foul Play because it's good to Knock Off leftovers/rocky helmet from Ferrothorn and Skarmory, while Foul Play let's me destroy Aegislash, Scizor, Garchomp etc. I really do like U-Turn on Gliscor, but I've used Taunt versions before and they seem to work very well alongside U-Turn. But I will try out Taunt in that slot. For Tentacruel I'll also be testing out the changes.
Edit: The only problem replacing Sableye to Mandibuzz is a giant weakness to Mamoswine since burning it would be really nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)