Clefable (Analysis)

Clefable

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/036.shtml

[Overview]

<p>Clefable returns this generation with an incredible ability, an almost unsurpassed movepool, and that ever-so-darling grin. Unfortunately for her, the new generation has not been so nice. She no longer has a niche with Magic Guard; Sigilyph in UU and Reuniclus in OU have usurped her throne as the queen of "who cares about residual damage?" Throw a UU-cast Mew into the mix with an impossibly incomparable movepool, and Clefable finds it harder and harder to stand out among the crowd.</p>

<p>Things aren't all bad for the pink pixy, however; she still manages to put together a very useful support set, and she loves the new Wish mechanics of the fifth generation. She is still a very solid user of Magic Guard, despite not having exclusive access anymore. She also has a reasonable amount of bulk for support and just enough offense to make a Life Orb set plausible.</p>

<p>Clefable didn't change very much with the new generation, but things certainly did all around her; despite these changes, Clefable is still a great Pokemon who can succeed on any team if played to her advantages.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Wish
move 2: Seismic Toss
move 3: Knock Off / Protect
move 4: Encore / Heal Bell
item: Leftovers / Toxic Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Clefable is an excellent choice for providing support for the team. She has more balanced defenses than Chansey and Alomomola, and she can support in ways they cannot with access to Knock Off and Magic Guard. She also has Heal Bell, which Alomomola would die for. Heal Bell and Wish turn Clefable into a cleric for the team, healing off status and passing 197 HP per Wish. Seismic Toss is Clefable's most reliable option to deal damage, allowing her to hit with consistency against most opponents. Knock Off rids opponents of their Leftovers or Eviolites, drastically diminishing their effectiveness and giving your team an advantage. Encore is there to lock an opponent into a move, providing an excellent opportunity to switch to a counter and set up, while Heal Bell lets Clefable rid her team of status.</p>

<p>Considering the great support Clefable offers with this set, she fits into practically any team with ease. She is particularly useful for sweepers who lack a reliable source of recovery and who appreciate Wish support. Encore and Knock Off make it easier for teammates to switch in and set up with a boosting move or Substitute. Clefable works best when paired with Ghost-, Psychic-, or Flying-type teammates who can handle the Fighting-type attacks that are going to be aimed at her.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Clefable can use Protect over Knock Off, but the resulting moveset will be greatly overshadowed by Chansey, who is a much better dedicated Wish passer. A status moveeither Toxic or Thunder Wavecould be used in the last slot to help support the team by weakening walls or crippling sweepers. Clefable has an extremely large arsenal of support options, any of which could replace the moves on the set, depending on the needs of the team. Be warned, though, that most other support options are either too situational to be reliable or are simply better utilized by other Pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Double Edge
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Grass Knot / Ice Beam
move 4: Softboiled
item: Life Orb
nature: Brave
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A Life Orb set might seem odd on a Pokemon with 70 Atk / 85 SpA offense stats, but thanks to Magic Guard, good bulk, a versatile movepool, and no recoil from Life Orb, Clefable is capable of dishing out a respectable amount of damage.</p>

<p>The first slot gives Clefable her best STAB option. Double Edge is very dangerous and powerful, effectively reaching 234 base power with STAB and the Life Orb boost. A Fire-type move fills the second slot to give coverage against Steel types; Fire Blast is much more powerful, but Flamethrower is an option if one fears low accuracy. The third slot provides Clefable with well-rounded coverage and should be chosen depending on the needs of the team. Softboiled is an obvious choice in the final slot for reliable recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The most notable optional change would be putting Thunderbolt in the third moveslot, allowing Clefable to hit lighter defensive Water-types such as Alomomola and Slowbro for more damage. Clefable could run a pure physical or special Life Orb set, but she becomes much easier to wall, and pure sets are easily outclassed by Pokemon who specialize in one stat or the other.</p>

<p>Facade would be a terrific option if Clefable could count on acquiring a status impairment, reaching the equivalent of 273 Base Power with STAB and a Life Orb. Clefable could use a Naughty or Lonely nature if the loss of Speed with a Brave nature is undesirable; however, Clefable is already relatively slow, even in UU, and typically prefers to maintain some bulk over gaining a little bit of speed.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Clefable has a ridiculous number of moves at her disposal. Body Slam provides paralysis support and still hits reasonably hard with a Life Orb. Clefable has a great selection of special attacks to choose from, but the only other options worth mentioning are Shadow Ball and Focus Blast, both of which are very situational.</p>

<p>Snatch can steal opposing healing or boosts, setting Clefable up while preventing your foe from doing so. Magic Coat can bounce back nasty things such as status, entry hazards, and Taunt. Sing can put opponents to sleep, but its very shaky accuracy makes it hardly worth using. Clefable can set up Gravity or Stealth Rock, but the former is gimmicky and the latter is better set up by Chansey. She can also run dual screens, but others do this more effectively, since Clefable is decidedly lacking in speed.</p>

<P>Clefable has a few kamikaze options in Counter, level 2 Endeavor, and Healing Wish. Counter can net a surprise KO against your opponent's Fighting-types, especially if paired with Focus Sash. Level 2 Endeavor is best used with Hail, and almost guarantees Clefable will take at least one Pokemon down, but it sacrifices Clefable's effectiveness along the way. Healing Wish gives Clefable up to cleanse a teammate of any damage or status, but she is typically too slow to use it effectively.</p>

<p>Finally, Stored Power can be combined with Cosmic Power, Work Up, or Calm Mind to slowly turn Clefable into a powerhouse, but Stored Power is often walled even at max power, and is extremely difficult to effectively set up.</p>

[Check and Counters]

<p>Clefable's biggest weapon is her vast movepool, and until it's figured out, she poses an immense threat to her opponent. Scouts using U-Turn and Volt Switch can help figure out which set Clefable is carrying, at which point she is much more easily handled. Strong Fighting-type moves hurt Clefable a lot, despite her natural bulk. Taunt messes up a lot of what Clefable can do; without access to her support moves or recovery, Clefable is dead-weight in most scenarios.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Clefable's Dream World ability, Unaware, is still currently unreleased. Unaware is a decent ability for Clefable, who has the natural bulk to take neutral unboosted moves pretty well. The big problem with Unaware is that Magic Guard is the superior choice in most cases. The Life Orb set is completely outclassed without Magic Guard, and the support set becomes vulnerable to Toxic, entry hazards, and weather.</p>

breh

強いだね
while I'm frankly unsure as to what exactly clefable can do (since it has the movepool of gods but really lackluster typing), calm mind, stored power, and some sort of support set come to mind. I don't trust too much in dual screens; Belly Drum is a terrible idea and so is the life orb set.

also, you're missing the name: tags before the set name. Also, make sure to make note of the ability with an ability: tag (make sure that you're using magic guard)

ok, so detailed stuff:

support looks a bit slashitisy. I feel like it should be:

move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Thunder Wave / Toxic / Heal Bell / Encore (I realize this is a lot of slashes but I'm not sure what to put here)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD (on a side note, if you can optimize these defences (say, avoid a certain KO or something) then do so)

I prefer this set for a reason. Wish remains the same; that's probably one of the nicer aspects of Clefable. Seismic Toss provides Clefable with consistent damage; while Double Edge is certainly strong, it's not extremely strong. Most of the time, I feel it'll be doing less damage than Seismic Toss, espcially against wally opponents. Knock Off is a fantastic move in this round since it knocks off any eviolite you may see. It's also a big, big issue for stall teams, which loathe having leftovers removed, especially by something that already is immune to residual damage. The last slot is just all of the really nice support moves clef gets in one slot.

The stored power set really should not have wish slashed; the point of wish is to switch out and give teammates free health; you're not switching out if you've got like 4 cosmic powers. Fire Blast/Flamethrower is something I'm unsure about (are you sure it's the best coverage move?) but not something I can really provide a better idea for.

I'll edit in more a bit later (my second installment will consist of cleaning up OO... as you know, clefable has a lot of them!)

EDIT2: Yeah I'm fine with what Foxy Grandpa says. I really prefer no slashes on knock off's slot since it means it's almost 100% inferior to chansey; if you're going to slash protect, do it in slot 3 IMO.

anyway, OO stuff:

Brick Break, Elemental Punches, and Drain Punch should all be mentioned in OO as options on the BD set (if you plan to keep it) but are pretty bad otherwise
Remove Last Resort (Clefable is too weak to be doing this and using it on BD is a bad idea since you waste a very precious moveslot)
Remove Bounce (a weak, unstabbed, inaccurate 2 turn move... what can't go wrong??)
Remove Endure but definitely keep Endeavor; also mention level 2 endeavor but I'm not sure if it's definitively better or worse than solosis at doing that
While Blizzard is a cool idea on a hail team (where Clefable could actually have some interesting uses) it's deadweight on the other team types. get rid of thunder, solarbeam, and moonlight (before you say anything, I feel the 8 pp is the greatest issue).
Psychic is silly since it has terrible coverage and is pretty outclassed by Stored Power after 2 setups; Signal Beam is just weak; remove both.
Add Psychock since it has a really intersting use (use calm mind, lure in special walls, hit them really hard?) despite low bp
Remove Sweet Kiss; I'm tempted to say remove Fake Tears but that's kind of w/e
Really tempted to say remove sing; it just burns a moveslot that's useless otherwise
Remove lucky chant (we're all critmagnets but wasting a turn does not help that lol), Telekinisis (inferior to gravity, which already sucks), Safeguard (use heal bell), Sunny Day (poor setter), Rain Dance (poor setter)
Add:
Amnesia (I'm sure you could do something with this right?)
Snatch (steal chansey's aromatherapies as it tries in vain to heal; steal its softboileds as it tries in vain to heal, etc.)
Recycle (red card anyone?)
Icy Wind (weak but has utility)
Zen Headbutt (ok coverage move on BD I guess?)
Magic Coat (reflect SR... it's cool)
Body Slam (this is more of an OO mention rather than a mention on any of the sets IMO)
Counter (I'm sure you could do something with this right)
Swagger (mention in DW? still, probably a bad idea)

sorry if I mentioned anything that was already there.

while I'm frankly unsure as to what exactly clefable can do (since it has the movepool of gods but really lackluster typing), calm mind, stored power, and some sort of support set come to mind. I don't trust too much in dual screens; Belly Drum is a terrible idea and so is the life orb set.

also, you're missing the name: tags before the set name. Also, make sure to make note of the ability with an ability: tag (make sure that you're using magic guard)

I'll edit in more comments after looking through clef's movepool.

Thanks, I'll make the grammar edits now. I want to get a few more opinions on the actual sets first before I change those around, but I understand your apprehension.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Take out all the comments about 3rd generation move availability; in the analysis, we don't care about what the readers have access too, we are only giving the strongest strategy that can possibly exist, not bothering to care about how difficult that Pokemon is to obtain.

Wish doesn't need a mention at all on belly drum.

support looks a bit slashitisy. I feel like it should be:

move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Thunder Wave / Toxic / Heal Bell / Encore (I realize this is a lot of slashes but I'm not sure what to put here)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD (on a side note, if you can optimize these defences (say, avoid a certain KO or something) then do so)
I personally think it should be

move 3: Knock Off / Protect
move 4: Encore / Heal Bell
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Optimizing these would be nice

Wish Protect allows Clefable to get reliable recovery while maintaining the ability to pass wishes. S-Toss for damage with Double Edge or Return in AC. Encore will allow another teammate to set up whereas Heal Bell will support the team. With the statuses in AC

anyway, OO stuff:

Brick Break, Elemental Punches, and Drain Punch should all be mentioned in OO as options on the BD set (if you plan to keep it) but are pretty bad otherwise
Remove Last Resort (Clefable is too weak to be doing this and using it on BD is a bad idea since you waste a very precious moveslot)
Remove Bounce (a weak, unstabbed, inaccurate 2 turn move... what can't go wrong??)
Remove Endure but definitely keep Endeavor; also mention level 2 endeavor but I'm not sure if it's definitively better or worse than solosis at doing that
While Blizzard is a cool idea on a hail team (where Clefable could actually have some interesting uses) it's deadweight on the other team types. get rid of thunder, solarbeam, and moonlight (before you say anything, I feel the 8 pp is the greatest issue).
Psychic is silly since it has terrible coverage and is pretty outclassed by Stored Power after 2 setups; Signal Beam is just weak; remove both.
Add Psychock since it has a really intersting use (use calm mind, lure in special walls, hit them really hard?) despite low bp
Remove Sweet Kiss; I'm tempted to say remove Fake Tears but that's kind of w/e
Really tempted to say remove sing; it just burns a moveslot that's useless otherwise
Remove lucky chant (we're all critmagnets but wasting a turn does not help that lol), Telekinisis (inferior to gravity, which already sucks), Safeguard (use heal bell), Sunny Day (poor setter), Rain Dance (poor setter)
Add:
Amnesia (I'm sure you could do something with this right?)
Snatch (steal chansey's aromatherapies as it tries in vain to heal; steal its softboileds as it tries in vain to heal, etc.)
Recycle (red card anyone?)
Icy Wind (weak but has utility)
Zen Headbutt (ok coverage move on BD I guess?)
Magic Coat (reflect SR... it's cool)
Body Slam (this is more of an OO mention rather than a mention on any of the sets IMO)
Counter (I'm sure you could do something with this right)
Swagger (mention in DW? still, probably a bad idea)

sorry if I mentioned anything that was already there.
Changes implemented. I didn't add Recycle or Swagger, though, because they are situational. I left off Icy Wind, too, because generally Thunder Wave is a better support option.
I kept Endeavor in OO, but didn't mention a lv.2 set because it's so gimmicky. If other's feel that it's necessary, I can add it in.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I personally liked Life Orb back in Gen IV, not sure if it's still good or not but I'd wait for more QC input (I'm iffy on Meteor Mash though; Ice Beam or Grass Knot is probably better).

Belly Drum sucks though.

Why the hell is Meteor Mash on the Life Orb set? It's gotta be one of the worse choices for a spot. Change it to Grass Knot. Also, Softboiled is 10x better on that set then Wish, considering it's offensive nature.

Why the hell is Meteor Mash on the Life Orb set? It's gotta be one of the worse choices for a spot. Change it to Grass Knot. Also, Softboiled is 10x better on that set then Wish, considering it's offensive nature.

Changed. I also slashed on Ice Beam since it's been mentioned as well.

And I changed up the Dual Screens set by switching the attacking move to Seismic Toss; it seems to be the most logical choice without any investment.

Houndoom should be listed as a counter to the Stored Power set; you're only running Psychic + Fire attacks, so you can't touch it.

where is the Lv 2 Endeaver set?
@ Focus Sash
-Endeaver
-Protect
-encore
-toxic/knock off/thunder wave/filler

I would mention Belly Drum in Other Options just to point out the fact that Magic Guard doesn't cancel the damage you take from it thus making it a poor idea.

Softboiled is illegal with Magic Guard.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ahhhhh Clefable you stole my heart away in gen IV UU...

Anyway, Mew being in UU really hurts Clefable because the majority of the sets she could run in the past are now made invalid by Mew. The support looks good and the Life Orb set looks decent (Fire Blast should get the main slash btw on the second moveslot) but the Dual Screen set is just plain outclassed by a ton of Pokemon. Get rid of it. Stored Power looks really gimmicky and I don't think it deserves a set either.

In the overview mention how that Mew and Chansey are often superior choices to Clefable.
Approving this once the changes have been made.

Ahhhhh Clefable you stole my heart away in gen IV UU...

Anyway, Mew being in UU really hurts Clefable because the majority of the sets she could run in the past are now made invalid by Mew. The support looks good and the Life Orb set looks decent (Fire Blast should get the main slash btw on the second moveslot) but the Dual Screen set is just plain outclassed by a ton of Pokemon. Get rid of it. Stored Power looks really gimmicky and I don't think it deserves a set either.

In the overview mention how that Mew and Chansey are often superior choices to Clefable.
Approving this once the changes have been made.

Thanks. I'll implement the changes shortly. What is your take on a Lv.2 Endeavor set? Others seem sold on it; I think it's far too gimmicky to be legitimate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)