move 2: Icicle Spear
move 3: Rock Blast
move 4: Ice Shard / Liquidation
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb / White Herb
ability: Skill Link
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Cloyster functions as a Shell Smash sweeper in Battle Stadium. Shell Smash is the key move on any Cloyster set, raising Attack, Special Attack and Speed by two stages, making Cloyster one of the most threatening Pokemon on the field. Icicle Spear is Cloyster's main Ice-type STAB move and has 125 Base Power thanks to Skill Link. Rock Blast functions similarly but gives coverage to handle Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Charizard, and Gyarados. Ice Shard is a great priority that lets Cloyster pick off weakened Dragon-type targets such as Dragapult and Hydreigon. Liquidation can also be used for a strong Water-type STAB move to let Cloyster hit Aegislash and prevent the consumption of HP-restoring berries. Focus Sash guarantees a Shell Smash provided that there are no entry hazards on the field, and it is the preferred item on Cloyster. Alternatively, Cloyster can run White Herb to cancel out the Defense and Special Defense drops from Shell Smash or Life Orb for extra power. An Adamant or Jolly nature with maximum Speed and Attack investment is almost always run to ensure that Cloyster outspeeds as many Pokemon as possible after a Shell Smash.

There are a few other lesser used options worth mentioning with Cloyster, such as a mixed set with Surf or Ice Beam in order to counteract physical checks. Explosion can also be run to double down in certain situations.

Pair Cloyster with Pokemon that can enable it to use Shell Smash with less risk such as dual screens Grimmsnarl and Indeedee. Additionally, having a Pokemon that can set up on special attackers such as Snorlax also works well.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Ika Ika Musume, 165529]]
- Quality checked by: [[Psynergy, 248085], [Theorymon, 29010]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Kris, 241023]]

Last edited by a moderator:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Looks good. I question the likelihood of getting a defense boost from Smart Strike that would matter while dynamaxed, in the last slot. Would this be just straight Dynamax, no shell smash? Because if you shell smash, its most likely your health after taking the first hit wont be enough to survive even after dynamax. I think it could possibly be removed, or reduced to a mention.

Oh it is by no means important, it's just amusing. Cloyster has often run defensive options along side shell smashing including the infamous double set up Barrier + Shell Smash set of Gen 8 because it is so naturally bulky that it can often take hits even at -1 if they are physical like vs Mimikyu. Ill probably just remove it.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I feel like I'd consider Life Orb before White Herb on Cloyster so I'd swap the order of those two slashes, but that's just a nitpick. Otherwise yea Cloyster is the same thing as last gen.

Also another nitpick but Hulavuta will be disappointed if I don't mention that "tier" is more accurate format or metagame. Anyway, QC 1/2

Id think that White Herb is now better due to being able to potentially abuse Cloyster's bulk after a shell smash with Dynamax but I'll slash it in the other order for now. Done

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I don't really have anything to add either, so QC Approved 2/2, time for the grammar checks!

As well as this, having a pokemon that can set up on special attackers such as Tyranitar also works well.
Unless your Cloyster has Overcoat (lol), I'd recommend against Tyranitar; its Sand Stream will nullify your Focus Sash. (Edit: Then again, there is Unnerve, but that's also a bad idea, isn't it?)

That's not how I'm reading it. Clearly 1 of us is misunderstanding, although based on my history, I wouldn't be surprised if it's me.
The preview pretty clearly states that having another Pokemon that can setup on ttar works well with it, which insinuates that Cloyster is not recommended to setup on ttar with

Well in general, sand stream is bad for breaking sash instantly, but there have always been ways to work around that. Ive changed it to snorlax which has similar special bulk and can set up also.

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[SET]
name: Shell Smasher
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Icicle Spear
move 3: Rock Blast
move 4: Ice Shard / Liquidation
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb / White Herb
ability: Skill Link
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
(add blank line)
Cloyster has stayed very much the same in the transition to Pokemon Sword and Shield and functions as a shell smash Shell Smash sweeper in the format Battle Stadium. Shell Smash is the key move on any Cloyster set, raising its Attack, Special Attack, and Speed speed, attack and special attack by two stages, making Cloyster one of the most threatening pokemon Pokemon on the field. Icicle Spear is Cloyster's main Ice-type STAB move and has 125 Base Power thanks to Skill Link. Rock Blast functions similarly but gives coverage to handle pokemon Pokemon such as Rotom-Heat Rotom-H, Charizard, (AC) and Gyarados. Ice Shard is a great priority, (RC) able to move that lets Cloyster pick off weakened Dragon-type targets such as Dragapult or and Hydreigon. Liquidation can also be used for a strong Water-type STAB move to let Cloyster hit Aegislash and prevent the consumption of HP-restoring (AH) berries from opponents. Focus Sash guarantees a shell smash Shell Smash provided that there are no entry hazards on the field, (AC) and it is the preferred item on Cloyster. Alternatively, Cloyster can run White Herb to cancel out the Defense and Special Defense drops that from Shell Smash gives or Life Orb for extra power. An Adamant or Jolly nature Cloyster with maximum Speed and Attack investment is almost always ran so run to ensure that Cloyster outspeeds the most possible pokemon as many Pokemon as possible after a shell smash Shell Smash.

There are a few other lesser used options of note with worth mentioning for Cloyster, (AC) such as. (RP) Cloyster can run a mixed set with Surf or Ice Beam in order to counteract physical checks. (AP) and can also run Explosion can also be run to double down in certain situations.

Pair Cloyster with pokemon Pokemon that can enable it to use Shell Smash with less risk such as Dual Screens dual screens Grimmsnarl or and Indeedee. As well as this Additionally, having a pokemon Pokemon that can set up on special attackers such as Snorlax also works well.
GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)