Codename: TYRANT [OU RMT]

Introduction

I've been trying out this team recently on Shoddy and it's working well, winning at least every 4 out of five matches so far. I'm not having many problems with it but I'd like to get some advice anyway in case I overlooked something. Also, kudos to Blue Kirby and Havak for the Tyranitar article in The Smog which inspired this team.

Team Overview

Codename: TYRANT

Wishmaker

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Trick
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Jirachi serves as my lead and handles itself well in battle. It can screw up most suicide or stealth rock leads with Trick, then set up Stealth Rock itself. U-turn scouts out Jirachi's switch-in and does a little damage too. Iron Head also happens to catch a flinch every now and then as well.

---

Tyrant

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

The man physical attacker of the team. Crunch and Stone Edge provide powerful STAB moves, and Earthquake is chosen over Aqua Tail as the EV spread, which is designed to let Tyranitar take special hits better, can't manage a 2HKO on Hippowdon or Gliscor with it. Pursuit lets it trap frail Psychics and Ghosts and do decent damage to everything else that doesn't resist it.
---

Zero

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/176 Def/16 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Standard Physical Wall and Spiker/Phazer. Skarmory is immune to Sandstorm and works well with Tyranitar and Jirachi, taking neutral hits from Fighting and carries an immunity to Ground moves.
---

Titan

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/108 Atk/100 Def/144 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

BulkyGyara acts as a decent sweeper and counters Scizor and Heatran very well. Waterfall provides STAB and Stone Edge is for KOing fliers and doing decent neutral damage to other threats. It's usually easy to find an opportunity to Dragon Dance and then do some hefty damage. It's main concern are things like Starmie that can outspeed and KO it after a Dance Dance. If it manages to get two off though, it can be hard to stop.
---

Lati

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

This is actually my first team that uses Latias and damn does it ever work well. All it's moves hit very hard and have good type coverage. It can come in on a Special Attacker or something that can't hit it hard, set up a Calm Mind and proceed to do heafty damage from there.
---

Phaze

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Like Latias, this is my first time using Rotom-A. Rotom-H was chosen as otherwise my team would have no Fire-type attacks at all. It can be very hard to take down, and can cripple threats easily with some prediction. I used a slower, more defensive variant at first, but went with Choice Scarf since the team is weak to Scarf Magnezone otherwise. Rotom offers excellent type coverage and defensive typing and handles quite a few threats.
---

This is quite a solid team since everyone is bulky and also strong. My main concerns are two fold, your main offense are both Choice users which will mean a lot of switching so Stealth Rocks will wear Tyranitar and Latias down quickly, Gyarados even more so.

Also, since Latias is Spec'd, it can be abused by an enemy Pursuiter. Normally this isn't a big deal but for your team, it might be. Latias is your only defense against Nasty Plot Azelf even though Tyranitar is super Bulky, Grass Knot will still likely OHKO after a boost and Stealth Rocks. After that, it will ravage your team.

I'd recommend running an Offensive CM Latias to remedy this as it will be able to do good damage and Recover when needed.

If you do this, definitely give a Scarf to Rotom to add some Revenge Killing.

Also, I'd make Gyarados offensive over Bulky since this gives him Ice Fang (a type your team misses) and also nice and fast to make him a better late game sweeper.

Give this a shot, I think it'll help your team overall.

Cheers!

i would put dynamic punch on t-tar instead of EQ it then ohko's other T-tars (it learns Dynamic punch from an emerald move tutor)

speaking of latias i use this set

latias@choice scarf
Trick
Ice Beam
Thunder Bolt/ hp fire
Surf

it outspeeds even ninjask (before it gets speed boost) kill all other dragons w/ ice beam kills T-tar with surf, and t-bolt just hits waters and a few others .you might want hp fire to kill scizor.

Thanks familyguyman. I'll test out those changes and post again when I'm finished. The only concern I have about Scarfing Rotom AND making Gyara Offensive if that the team will lose a lot of it's physical defense after Skarmory dies. I'll still give it a shot either way. CM Latias is something I've wanted to try anyway.

As for the changes posted above this post (which wasn't there while I was replying). Latias' speed is high enough not to really need any boosts. It appreciates a Sp. Atk boost more anyway. As for D.Punch of 'Tar, it's accuracy isn't worth the moveslot.

Hmmmm I like most of the team, but there are a few changes you could consider to make the team more effective.

First off, I feel it is a necessity in today's metagame to have a solid Lucario counter when using CBtar. Seeing as how Scizor's and Tyranitar's pursuits are the primary way for Lucario to get a free Swords Dance nowadays, I recommend something else from the Tyranitar article.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Sand Veil
Jolly
EVs: 252 HP, 40 Def, 216 Spe
-Earthquake
-Taunt
-Roost
-U-turn

Gliscor has perfect synergy with CBtar considering the fact that it takes all but a scarf lucario with ease. It also helps greatly against Stall teams in tandem with choice band Tyranitar tearing holes.

For Jirachi, I recommend replacing U-turn and with Thunderpunch. At the moment you lack a solid counter to opposing offensive Gyarados, and with Thunderpunch you now have an excellent check. You could use Ice Punch or Fire Punch over Trick for Salamence and Scizor respectively, but I like trick on the set to stop CMSuicune trying to set up on your team.

Overall I like the team's focus on getting a Gyarados sweep. With Tyranitar pursuiting a lot of its counters (Celebi, Starmie, etc), BulkyGyara should be able to sweep a lot of the time. That being said, I think you could do a little more to allow this to happen. For Latias I recommend changing it to a defensive Calm Mind set with Reflect. This not only gives you a sweeper to take down the remnants of a Gyara sweep, but it also helps support the team with Reflect. Choice Specs is only going to help your opponent get some free turns after you revenge something, which your team really can't afford.

As for Rotom, I really don't see it doing much for the team. I'm going to recommend an unorthodox Metagross to fill its place.

Metagross @ Life Orb/Expert Belt (preference)
Naughty
Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk, 124 SpA, 132 Spe
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Shadow Ball
-Explosion

This Metagross will really help lure in and surprise Rotom formes that like to switch in any time they see the quadrapedal steel pokemon. This set will also take some pressure off of Tyranitar to pursuit Rotom at the risk of getting burned. You could use something like HP Fire over Explosion, but I personally like Explosion for its ability to blow a hole in the opponents team and potentially take out another counter to Gyarados.

With these changes, you should have a lot of success I think. Good Luck!

PS: Not to tear down the other rater, but DynamicPunch is a terrible idea for Tyranitar. 50% accuracy is unacceptable when Tyranitar has Superpower and Brick Break at his disposal. If you really wanted to use DynamicPunch use a Machamp

Thanks, I'll test those changes now.

EDIT: I test Gliscor and honestly, it's not nearly as effective as I've hoped. It works well against Lucario, but out of the 10-15 test matches I had, I only seen it once.

I'm finding one main weakness for the team, and that's a weakness to Scarf Magnezone, which is going up in popularity (seeing it 1 in every 4-5 matches). I've remedied that by Scarfing Rotom, which is working out well so far.

@ familyguyman: You mentioned entry hazards being a problem, yet you didn't mention the simplest solution.

Over Skarmory:

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def
Relaxed nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Earthquake
- Rest / Explosion

Since you're using leftovers on skarmory, I assume you'd want leftovers here too, instead of shed shell.

Pretty much plays the same role of Skarmory, save a phazer. (with spin support).

Rest is there to help absorb status since you have no real status absorber at the moment.

edit: arin that wasn't really the point, lol

The physical wall shouldn't have to worry about Magnezone.

However you're right about not having whirlwind, but that can be fit somewhere else, or haze. Baton Pass teams aren't really common anyways, lol

and btw, suggestions would be nice as well instead of just pointing out the problems (just saying)

Suggesting Shed Shell on Skarmory instead of Leftovers. A scarf Jirachi and Skarmory. Both of your Pokemons are EASILY taken down by Magnezone.

And I wouldn't take Cost's suggestion as you are still Magnezone weak. And without Whirlwind you are easily weak to Baton Pass teams.

BUMP

Testing a new Gyarados spread (156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe) and Bounce over Stone Edge for now. The extra speed really helps outrun while a few threats (outspeeds most, if not all Starmie now (except for the odd Scarfed variant, which I've only seen once or twice).

Also, I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what to replace Rotom with when I make this team on Wi-Fi against D/P users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)