move 2: Protect
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Sky Uppercut
item: Eviolite
nature: Jolly
ability: Speed Boost
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Swords Dance is the crux of this set: it gives Combusken a huge boost in Attack, allowing it to dent many Pokemon in tier
  • Protect allows you to rack up Speed boosts, and beat priority such as Fake Out from Kangaskhan and Persian
  • Flare Blitz is the preferred Fire-type STAB as it has very high base power and hits hard
  • Sky Uppercut is the secondary STAB that allows it to hit Pokemon that resist Fire, such as Rock- and Water-types
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Eviolite is the best item for this set because it gives Combusken some bulk to allow it to setup and is useful to take weak and resisted priority, such as Sucker Punch
  • Life Orb can be used though, at the cost of high recoil when it is combined with Flare Blitz
  • Jolly is better than Adamant because Combusken needs the additional Speed to outspeed base 95s at +1
  • Fire Punch is a good alternative to Flare Blitz because it doesn't have any recoil, but it isn't recommended because of its low base power
  • Brick Break is a more accurate alternative to Sky Uppercut, but it is also slightly weak
  • ThunderPunch is a good move to eliminate Frillish who otherwise counters it
  • Good teammates to this set are Pokemon that can give Combusken some opportunities to setup
  • Gothorita removes walls such as Weezing and Alomomola so Combusken's path is clear
  • Pokemon that can setup dual screens such as Gardevoir, Serperior, Ampharos and Solrock are appreciated because even with Eviolite, Combusken is frail
  • Teammates that can eliminate problematic Ghost-types such as Misdreavus are good partners, like Skuntank
[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Protect
move 4: Substitute
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest
ability: Speed Boost
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
  • This set has its advantages over the physical one, because it attacks right off the bat
  • Fire Blast is chosen over Flamethrower for the additional power
  • Focus Blast hits a lot of things that Fire Blast wouldn't hit as hard, such as Rock-types and Miltank
  • Protect is used to scout the opponent's move and raise Combusken's speed
  • Substitute is the preferred move in fourth moveslot because it allows Combusken to avoid nasty status ailments and scout moves as well
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Combusken's powerful moves come at a cost: they have moderately low accuracy
  • It could use Hidden Power Grass to beat Alomomola and Seismitoad without having to resort to the very inaccurate Focus Blast
  • Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast and Hidden Power Fighting can be used over Focus Blast for the additional accuracy but they are very weak and should not be used
  • Timid over Modest makes Combusken outspeed base 95s after one boost
  • Skuntank is a good teammate as it gets rid of Lampent and Frillish and it has good synergy with Combusken
  • Spikes support from Scolipede and Cacturne is appreciated
  • Golurk can destroy the Psychic-types that threaten Combusken such as Grumpig, Gardevoir and Musharna

[Other Options]
  • Combusken doesn't have many other good options
  • Heat Wave is a good compromise for the special set: it is less accurate than Flamethrower, but more powerful
  • Bulk Up can be used to boost its defenses but Combusken is still very frail and Swords Dance is better
  • Hone Claws can be used to give an accuracy boost but the inaccurate moves are specially based
  • Baton Pass but it is illegal with Speed Boost
  • ThunderPunch and Rock Slide can be used but they don't provide much additional coverage
  • Vacumm Wave can be used for priority butr Combusken has Speed Boosts anyways
  • Shadow Claw can be used on the physical set to hit Frillish and Lampent hard
  • Finally, Will-O-Wisp and FeatherDance can compose a gimmicky support set, but there are much better options out there
[Checks and Counters]
  • Frillish and Lampent are sure counters because they resist both of Combusken's STAB moves, and Frillish can threaten Combusken with Scald
  • Weezing and Garbodor can handily wall the Swords Dance set
  • Mantine and Specially defensive Ludicolo can also easily tank the attacks from the special set
  • Alomomola can tank any moves that the physical set throws at it and threaten it with a super-effective Waterfall
  • Grumpig, Gothorita and Hypno can tank moves from both sets and hit back hard with Psychic
  • Offensive Water-types such as Samurott and Basculin can threaten him with Hydro Pump or Waterfall
  • Priority users such as Kangaskhan and Swords Dance Samurott can pick off on Combusken if it is weakened enough
Well this is done but I feel like the Checks and Counters section is lackluster.

Last edited:
jcm please finish this skeleton, it's been waiting forever. Also SD should probably be the first set in this meta

Jolly is better than Adamant because Combusken needs the additional Speed to outspeed some Pokemon such as scarfers after a couple of Speed boosts
Could you give a couple of examples here? The main reason I ask is because you stated this in the Additional Comments of the special set...

Timid over Modest makes Combusken outspeed Choice Scarf Braviary and Choice Sawk at +2, but they are irrelevant in this metagame and it misses the power
...and they somewhat appear to conflict. I'm not saying you're wrong about the Jolly nature (although I've actually used an Adamant LO SD set to great success lately), but it would be good to be specific as to which Scarf users in particular give the set trouble, as well as to clarify why the SD set might have more trouble with these Scarf users than the special set.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
-In the intro, mention that it has two totally different sets with mostly different sets of counters
-Make SD the first set like Raseri said

SD set:
-swear to Deer God if you say "crux" in the actual analysis I'll pistol whip you
-mention that eviolite is also good for taking weak/resisted priority like Sucker Punch
-list the pokemon that jolly outspeeds over adamant (base 95 pokemon such as Jynx, Haunter, Primeape)
-I'd list gothorita as a partner over Wynaut because goth beats alomomola/weezing, which hard walls combusken (can't boost enough to beat it without getting ko'd by waterfall)
-serperior or ampharos are better users of Dual Screens than Solrock, list gardevoir first though
-you're kinda overhyping frillish/lampent here, say ghost-types in general and then list Misdreavus and Lampent i guess

Special set:
-i'd mention HP Grass over either of the two you listed, since it deals with Seismitoad/Alomomola without resorting to focus miss
-Timid > Modest because it outspeeds base 95 mons after 1 boost, not any of the other stuff you listed
-unless spikes gives combusken a particular ko, don't mention it. you can still mention scolipede as a partner to take care of mons like Grumpig and Hypno, which wall special combusken
-ditto with the golurk mention, list specific psychic-types it takes care of

OO:
-don't list sand attack
-Bulk Up, but the defense boost doesn't help much and SD is better
-Hone Claws but the inaccurate moves are special based
-Baton Pass, but it's illegal with Speed Boost so you'd be forced to use the vastly inferior Blaze (mention it so that people know it's illegal)
-Thunderpunch, Rock Slide for coverage but they don't add much significant coverage
-Vacuum Wave for priority but it has speed boost anyway
-Will-o-Wisp or Featherdance if you want to run a gimmicky "support" move instead of coverage or something
(all of these are subject to other QC approval, i'm just listing moves that look tempting but are pretty bad and should be labeled as such)

C&C:
-Add Weezing/Garbodor for the SD set
-Gothorita and Hypno should be added alongside Grumpig
-Mention priority users like Kangaskhan / Smash Costa / SD rott, even stuff that has sucker punch if combusken is weakened enough (it's frail as shit)

@Raseri testing

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
you still need to fix the mention of jolly in ac of the sd set. it should be "it allows combusken to outspeed +spe base 95s at +1"

ditto for the timid mention in special ac.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET] (Swords Dance)
EVs should be 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe.

[SET COMMENTS] (Swords Dance)
Seriously, get rid of "crux of this set."

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Swords Dance)
Move ThunderPunch to OO. I would never recommend someone using ThunderPunch, especially not just to hit the practically non-existent Frillish.

[SET] (Special Attacker)
I'd like the order to be Protect / Fire Blast / Focus Blast / Substitute. I don't think I'd ever use special Combusken without Protect, and it's important to emphasize that.
EVs should be: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe.

[SET COMMENTS] (Special Attacker)
Mention Protect first, as per new set order.
When you talk about Substitute, you can also note that Combusken can come in on certain Pokemon, such as Tangela or Roselia, that might try to status it and set up a Sub against them. From there, it's even harder to take out Combusken, and it allows you to make up for potential misses with its shaky attacks.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Special Attacker)
Note that Life Orb is needed for extra power because Combusken has no way of boosting its meager Special Attack.
Mention some KOs that you get with Spikes support. If you can't come up with any, remove the mention of Spikes support.

Make these changes, and I'll look over this again.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Incredibly inactive; moving to L&O. If anyone wants to reserve Combusken, feel free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)