SM Ubers - COMEBACK -

art done by me.

- COMEBACK -
Hello Smogon! I'm writting this rmt since I decided to stop my quit from Ubers tier (Thats why its named "Comeback"), this mainly because I started playing competitive in Ubers five years ago, I got sad when I didnt get bought in UPL and I want to be back again, show that I still can play and that I improved my skill and I want to support Ubers in general, also, In USM teambuilding its not hard and this team been working for me amazing, also this team been working for some friends too, I used to just team build in my quit period and worked in Ubers Workshop too, I learned lot of things there and I want to thanks to the builders that were my work mates, after this said, lets go to team details.

Team Building Process.

Started building around this core, I like how Gengar can trap and kill Arceus-Fairy and Chansey helping Yveltal to sweep, while Yveltal cover all typing weakness of Gengar.

I needed a Stealth Rocker on this team, Groudon does that job and it covers offensively the Kyogre match up, also, it works as Xerneas check too.

This team is way weak to Ho-Oh and Ground types, Salamence was troublesome too so decided to use Arceus-Water, it have access to Defog too.

Xerneas was still sweeping and I lack of Dark Type switch-in, opted for Magearna here since it cover both stuff and has a nice support with Heal Bell and Volt Switch.

Since this team can struggle agaisnt Arceus-Ground CM and other stuff that can be PP Stalled, chose Gothitelle, with this I keep a trap core using Shadow Tag.

Gothorita can be used instead of Gothitelle for major bulk, but I think they are equal and Gothitelle let you have leftovers as recovery, making it have more longevity.

Team In-Depth.

Gengar @

Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast

Gengar have Great Special Attack, a high Speed tier, and most importantly, a near-exclusive ability in Shadow Tag leave Mega Gengar as one of the most dreaded threats in the tier that can selectively eliminate foes it desires to trap, like Kyogre-Primal, Arceus-Support formes, Setup Boosters, etc, Mega Gengar's unique typing provides it with a number of perks over other offensive threats. A Ghost typing lets Mega Gengar block Rapid Spin and, in tandem with its high Speed tier, check Extreme Killer Arceus. A Poison typing lets Mega Gengar easily switch into passive walls that rely on Toxic and remove Toxic Spikes, Taunt prevents setup, recovery, status moves, and the use of Defog from a trapped foe. It also synergizes well with Destiny Bond, as taunted foes are forced to attack Mega Gengar, Destiny Bond takes down the foe that KOes Mega Gengar, allowing Mega Gengar to force an elimination of a threat that it cannot deal with otherwise. Thanks to Shadow Tag and Mega Gengar's frailty, a well-timed Destiny Bond can force a trade. Keep in mind that Destiny Bond cannot be used consecutively; therefore, one should not mindlessly use it, as failing to make a right prediction will force out Mega Gengar and cause a loss of momentum.

Yveltal @

Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Offensively, Yveltal is a very strong wallbreaker that can easily fit into offensive teams thanks to its difficult-to-handle STAB attacks, which are able to 2HKO a large amount of the tier on their own, leaving a lot of room for customization based on the team structure it is selected for, Yveltal is also one of the best offensive checks to many of the metagame's most threatening Pokemon, such as Primal Groudon, Necrozma-DM, and Marshadow. It is difficult for Yveltal to be of little use in battle even with offensive sets, as it adds much-needed role compression to offensive teams, Knock Off is this set's most spammable move and deals large amounts of damage to Pokemon with removable items. It cripples checks to Yveltal like Magearna and offensive Xerneas while taking away nearly half of their health, and it can OHKO special walls like Blissey and offensive Ho-Oh, Foul Play is also boosted by Choice Band, and it does more damage to Pokemon with irremovable items such as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Mega Salamence, and Z-Move Necrozma-DM. It also allows Yveltal to punish the use of boosting moves from setup sweepers like Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon, U-turn generates momentum for Yveltal's team and deals a hefty amount of damage to Dark-types such as Arceus-Dark and Tyranitar, usually 2HKOing the latter, Sucker Punch adds to Yveltal's revenge killing capabilities, letting it pick off fast threats such as Ultra Necrozma and Mega Mewtwo Y before they can hit it with one of their coverage moves. Note that being locked into Sucker Punch can place Yveltal in an extremely exploitable situation, however, A Jolly nature is preferred so Yveltal outspeeds Lunala and positive-natured base 90 Speed Pokemon, such as Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. An Adamant nature is viable to guarantee that Yveltal OHKOes offensive Ho-Oh and support Necrozma-DM and 2HKOes Klefki and Skarmory with Knock Off. It also gives Yveltal a roughly 50% chance to OHKO Marshadow and Necrozma-DM lacking defensive investment with Sucker Punch also if using Adamant Nature An EV spread of 132 Atk / 124 Def / 252 Spe meets the above benchmarks and also allows Yveltal to take a +2 Extreme Speed from Extreme Killer Arceus variants that lack a boosting item after Stealth Rock damage. Despite the reduced Attack investment, Knock Off still retains OHKOs on offensive Ho-Oh and support Necrozma-DM, and the damage output of Foul Play is not affected.

Arceus-Water @

Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog

The combination of a lone Water typing, solid bulk, and good Speed enables Arceus-Water to blanket check a massive portion of the tier, including some of the more common and dangerous Pokemon like Primal Groudon, Necrozma-DM, Ho-Oh, Arceus-Ground, Zygarde-C, Mega Salamence, and Mega Lucario, STAB Judgment enables Arceus-Water to offensively check Ho-Oh and Arceus-Ground and retain offensive presence against Necrozma-DM, Mega Gengar, and Mega Lucario, Ice Beam targets prevalent Dragon-types like Zygarde-C, Mega Salamence, and Rayquaza, 2HKOing Zygarde-C and OHKOing offensive Mega Salamence and Rayquaza to enable Arceus-Water to take them down when it is healthy enough, Recover increases Arceus-Water's longevity, letting it consistently stomach hits from threatening Pokemon like Necrozma-DM and Ho-Oh, Defog here to anti-lead stuff like Cloyster and Excadrill and keep the field clean for Yveltal, 192 Speed EVs with a Timid nature ensure that Arceus-Water is faster than Mega Lucario, letting it pick off on Mega Lucario with Judgment before +2 Mega Lucario can OHKO Arceus-Water with Close Combat.

Groudon-Primal @

Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 144 Atk / 112 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Primal Groudon is the most versatile and threatening Pokemon in Ubers and is therefore a Pokemon that cannot be ignored when building and playing in the tier, A very good typing combined with solid bulk, a great movepool, and Desolate Land also give it huge defensive utility, even when running offensive sets, Stealth Rock is a valuable entry hazard for spreading damage across the enemy team and limiting the effectiveness of Flying-types such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and Rayquaza, Swords Dance, when combined with Stealth Rock, allows this Primal Groudon variant to be both a utility entry hazard setter and a wallbreaker at the same time against Defog users such as support Arceus formes, Giratina, and Ho-Oh that would try to remove Stealth Rock, Rock Tomb targets switch-ins like Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Mega Salamence, while also slowing all Arceus formes down to the point where Primal Groudon can strike them first. This, along with the threat of a boosted Precipice Blades, heavily limits their ability to use Defog on Primal Groudon, The given EVs spread make Groudon able to speed tie agaisn't Kyogre-Primal Max Speed, outspeed Excadrill, 112 SpD EVs let Groudon live a Focus Blast boosted from Xerneas but it cant live always if Stealth Rocks are up, this Spread can be modified and use this standard one: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe with an Adamant Nature.

Magearna @

Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

Due to Magearna's typing in Steel / Fairy and good natural bulk, it holds a solid niche as one of the strongest counters to Xerneas, as well as a reliable switch-in to nigh-unwallable attackers such as Yveltal and Deoxys-A, Access to the near-exclusive Heart Swap allows Magearna to be one of the very few defensive counterplay options against Refresh Calm Mind Arceus formes, Its access to of Heal Bell also allows it to provide cleric support to its team, The pivoting move Volt Switch sets Magearna apart from most of Xerneas's answers; the likes of defensive Necrozma-DM and Chansey are vulnerable to Shadow Tag users, but Magearna can switch out against them with said move, Heart Swap removes boosts from sweepers such as Geomancy Xerneas and Calm Mind Arceus formes, rendering them powerless, Fleur Cannon is a STAB move that is used to wear down Primal Groudon as well as OHKOing common threats like Mega Salamence and Marshadow while heavily damaging Mega Lucario and Giratina, Volt Switch allows Magearna to generate momentum against non-Ground-types and lets it escape from Shadow Tag users such as Mega Gengar and Gothitelle, Heal Bell is used to provide valuable cleric support and is a key aspect to the utility Magearna provides to a team. As one of the only clerics that can fit offensive teams, Magearna can take advantage of the Pokemon it checks to use Heal Bell and clear status from its teammates, A fully specially defensive EV spread maximizes Magearna's bulk to sponge hits from Xerneas, Yveltal, and Deoxys-A. It also provides Magearna with a chance to escape an OHKO from Naganadel's +2 Fire Blast most of the time from full HP and retaliate with Fleur Cannon, using Heal Bell, forgoing Leftovers and running Normalium Z lets Magearna fully restore its health using Z-Heal Bell.

Gothitelle @

Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Confide
- Charm
- Taunt
- Rest

Gothitelle is known for its ability to trap and dispose of passive Pokemon that form the defensive backbone of stall and balance teams, including support Arceus formes, Chansey, Ferrothorn, defensive Necrozma-DM, Lugia, and numerous other Pokemon, Gothitelle’s trapping range notably includes many of the tier’s best Defoggers, which provides a strong matchup against archetypes weak to Stealth Rock such as Ho-Oh balance, Gothitelle can also be used as a hard-punish option against Choice item users. Notably, it can trap and revenge kill Yveltal locked into Defog or Oblivion Wing and Choice Scarf Xerneas, both prominent Pokemon in the tier, Confide allows Gothitelle to trap passive special attackers such as support Arceus formes by lowering the opposing Pokemon's Special Attack stat. Gothitelle starts its trapping by using Confide whenever it is healthy enough to survive a critical hit from the foe and Rest when it cannot, Charm allows Gothitelle to trap passive physical attackers such as Celesteela and defensive Necrozma-DM, in the same manner as Confide, Taunt allows Gothitelle to stop Pokemon from phazing it, setting up entry hazards during the PP stall, setting up Leech Seed, and otherwise interfering with the trapping. After Gothitelle has inflicted enough stat drops, it can use Taunt to limit the opposing Pokemon to one or two of its moves, speeding up a PP stall significantly, Rest clears the Toxic that many passive Pokemon rely on for damage and fully recovers Gothitelle's HP. It also takes up three turns for each of its uses, making Gothitelle win most PP stalls in conjunction with Taunt, The Defense investment allows Gothitelle to avoid being trapped by support Tyranitar if healthy and improves Gothitelle's matchup against threats such as Celesteela and Ferrothorn without sacrificing the ability to trap support Arceus formes confidently, Gothitelle most rewards gathering information about your opponent’s sets. If you can figure out that the opposing Necrozma-DM is running the defensive set, that the enemy Yveltal that just used Oblivion Wing has a Choice Scarf, or that the enemy Magearna neglected Volt Switch so it could run Heal Bell, it offers opportunities for KOs that one would normally not try for. Keep an eye out throughout the match.

Importable
https://pokepast.es/debe01c28bfc8a3a

Yveltal @ Choice Band
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 144 Atk / 112 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Magearna @ Normalium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Confide
- Charm
- Taunt
- Rest

Threat List.

A Primal Groudon set consisting of Swords Dance + Rock Polish can sweep the entire team, best way to fix this is run the bulky Adamant Yveltal set posted above, while Primal Groudon support set can threat the team with Toxic + Overheat since it can take hits from Yveltal or survive 1 Precipice Blade from Groudon, Arceus-Water almost dont touch Primal Groudon since it lacks of Toxic, but Arceus can run Toxic instead of Judgment if Lucario its not common right now.

Primal-Kyogre its a threat too, since it can KO everything, best way to play against it is trade Gengar with Destiny Bond or weaken it so Yveltal can do work.

Arceus Ekiller set can be threatening, to fix this you can use the Bulky Adamant Yveltal set.

Naganadel once it gets an Speed Boost + Nasty Plot, its really threatening, since nothing will stop it if Magearna is weakened, Yveltal could handle it with Sucker Punch, but if your opponent know you are Choice Band, he can take advantage of that and switch to another setup booster, which is common in Naganadel Teams.

A set consisting of Autonomize and Swords Dance, can threat a lot too, even if you have Arceus-Water and Yveltal, it can take advantage of locked Yveltal and switch and can set up some Swords Dance agaisnt Arceus-Water or Magearna, since only way it can weak Necrozma is via Judgment.

Even with Gothitelle and Gengar Destiny Bond, Arceus-Ground with Calm Mind can be a threat, a way of fixing this can be Full Special Defense Gothitelle with Calm Mind, Psyshock, Rest and Taunt, but this set make Gothitelle lose important defensive roles.

Final words...

With this RMT Done, I want to offer my help to Ubers forum with projects like Ubers Teambuilding Workshop, I'd like to participate more in tournaments too and will do lot of effort, for me was really sad Ubers its considered OM now and getting removed from Official Tournaments, but I think that can change if we do good work and contribuiting to Smogon in general, Most part of this RMT was written by Smogon Dex descriptions and I recommend to new players visit Smogon Dex since it shows all the uses a Pokemon have in the tier it is viable, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Bomb Voyage

Banned deucer.
Hey man, this looks like a pretty solid team. To address some of the threats you mentioned, maybe swap Gothitelle for Gira-O so you have a better Primal Groudon matchup. Gothi is practically useless against offensive builds. This allow allows you to not run Defog on Waterceus which isn't optimal. You're better of running a physically defensive Waterceus set with Judgement/Ice Beam/Recover/Status Move like Toxic or smth.

I think Specs Yveltal also fits better with MGar in general than Band, but that's up to preference. Other than that, nice work!

It's just my opinion, but NDM > Magearna cause the STAB bonus + max atk can OHKO a Xerneas even with a geomancy set up. You cant guarantee the same with Magearna.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
It's just my opinion, but NDM > Magearna cause the STAB bonus + max atk can OHKO a Xerneas even with a geomancy set up. You cant guarantee the same with Magearna.
Which this team doesn’t exactly have a problem with?
Magearna’s Heart Swap makes it good for other set-up sweepers, not just Xerneas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)