Challenge COMPLETE: Pokemon Crystal: The 207 Challenge

QuentinQuonce, by the divine power of Suicune's clear water, I wager that you shall catch [151/207] Pokemon!

The guess is more for the reference than a real estimate, but I wanted to answer on the lower end because I feel like the time limit will be the real challenge here with how much investment breeding, hatching, and grinding may take over the course of the game, on top of having to manage your funds and the clock for items and certain encounters, as well as the luck-based process of encountering and catching pokemon to begin with. Overall I think that this could go different ways depending on how the dice may fall and where time ends up spent, but I'm interested to see how your party will approach balancing multiple goals over the main campaign.

Also the roamers have been mentioned a few times, but Ho-Oh is also locked behind the legendary beasts as well.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
QuentinQuonce, by the divine power of Suicune's clear water, I wager that you shall catch [151/207] Pokemon!

The guess is more for the reference than a real estimate, but I wanted to answer on the lower end because I feel like the time limit will be the real challenge here with how much investment breeding, hatching, and grinding may take over the course of the game, on top of having to manage your funds and the clock for items and certain encounters, as well as the luck-based process of encountering and catching pokemon to begin with. Overall I think that this could go different ways depending on how the dice may fall and where time ends up spent, but I'm interested to see how your party will approach balancing multiple goals over the main campaign.

Also the roamers have been mentioned a few times, but Ho-Oh is also locked behind the legendary beasts as well.
Lowball offer? Bold... but I'd laugh if this paid off for you.

I always wanted to try this but never got around to actually finish it, I wish you best of luck!!

Was gonna pick 203 because all but roamers, Dnite, and Ttar but since that's taken I'll go with

QuentinQuonce, by the divine power of Suicune's clear water, I wager that you shall catch [201/207] Pokemon!

(Basically because I remembered getting Chansey was a pain and you need a second one for Aero)
Yes, I am extremely not looking forward to hunting two Chansey (though I guess I could breed for the extra one)

QuentinQuonce

I start up, choosing the female player because Kris is great, and calling myself the prompted name of Juana, because... it's a good name. Animations are off and text is preset to fast to speed things along.

I choose Cyndaquil, of course (is there any other choice?) and speed through the game's opening sequence as quickly as possible.

1682670631623.png

Oh hey, it's female! Quite often seem to get female starters in challenge runs, nice nice.​

I've already gained a couple of levels by the time I fight Silver, so that's a nice easy fight. After naming him and getting Elm's blessing to go on the Pokedex quest, we get five Pokeballs - now we're in business!

The Dude offers to show me how to catch things - pffft, no.

I make good use of the five gifted Pokeballs as well as the one on Route 31 and catch Pidgey, Sentret, Weedle, Ledyba, Hoppip, and Bellsprout, trading the last of those for Onix as soon as I hit Violet City. No point going onto Route 46; Geodude and Spearow can be obtained with much greater ease later on, and Jigglypuff isn't here in Crystal. I set the clock to reflect the actual time here (9am, Friday) but even though that means I could go after Phanpy and Teddiursa, I'm absolutely not doing that. Could take me literal hours. Let's wait till later.

Nor do I intend to waste experience on anything whose evolved form can be caught later down the line, so Cyndaquil is my solo fighter for the moment. I'd forgotten how many levels it takes for it to get Ember, but once it does she's a right little wrecking ball.

Once I'm in Violet City I buy 15 more Pokeballs and head straight into Sprout Tower, where I catch Rattata. It doesn't take long to reach the top and defeat the Elder - I don't actually need to do all this, but it's easy experience fodder and will make progressing through the initial stretch of the game so much easier. And after defeating the Elder, Cyndaquil hits level 14 and evolves into Quilava!

Back to the Pokemon Centre for a quick heal and to dump my new catches into the PC so I'll have room for the egg I'll shortly receive and it's into Violet Gym, where Quilava pleasingly tears through the trainers inside. Falkner talks a good game, but his mighty level 9 Pidgeotto is easily 2HKO'd.

Obtaining my first badge means that Elm's assistant appears in the Pokemon Centre to give me the Mystery Egg. Thank you kindly. I leave Violet City via Route 36, catching a Growlithe in the tall grass and then popping briefly into the Ruins of Alph to solve the Kabuto puzzle in record-quick time so I can catch a single Unown.

55 minutes in and 12 Pokemon obtained! Wow, if I keep this rate going I'll be finished in 18 hours (I will not).

1682672087046.png
1682672096899.png

Southward we go!

QuentinQuonce

Route 32 has only one new species I care to catch (Ekans) but the Old Rod from the Fisherman in the Pokemon Centre is appreciated. Sadly the guy who gives you a couple of free Lure Balls is only in HGSS. That was a good change. Union Cave is slightly better, as it's one of the few places where the Old Rod can fish up something not named Magikarp: Goldeen (though of course I catch both). Sandshrew and Zubat are also here for the taking.

I reach Azalea Town out of Pokeballs and almost out of PP. A quick trip to the Pokemon Centre fixes the first issue, and I head to the mart to pick up some more Pokeballs - as one NPC in there correctly notes, there's no Great Ball here, so Pokeballs will have to do. I get 20 to tide me over.

I barge into Kurt's house and make him angry enough about the Rockets occupying Azalea Town to actually do something about it, then follow him into Slowpoke Well and finish them off for him. I don't find a Slowpoke while I'm here, but that's fine - I'll have to come back later anyway to catch a Slowbro. Kurt's so grateful for me for clearing the Well out that he gives me... one Lure Ball. Woooo. Still, better than nothing. I give him a White Apricorn. Depending on where I am at midnight tonight I guess I'll save it for Tangela or Magnemite.

Quilava is level 19 now, so Bugsy's gym folds before me like a chocolate teapot. Two badges obtained! Silver's Croconaw is a distinctly more difficult foe, but the Super Potion I picked up in Slowpoke Well prevents its powerful Water Gun from overwhelming me.

We're into Ilex Forest! This place is full of fun new species, like Metapod and Kakuna. Annoyingly, a couple of them are only found at night, but I'm eventually able to find a Paras after a bit of sustained walking around. I'll get Venonat and Oddish later. Once I've brought back the Charcoal Man's missing Farfetch'd and been given HM01, Cut, which I teach to the Sandshrew I caught earlier, I'm able to progress to the northern half of the forest, passing the shrine (I shall be back...) and picking up Headbutt from the helpful guy with the funky-coloured hair. Making use of this allows me to encounter and capture both Hoothoot and Noctowl, but there's one in particular I'm particularly keen to get as soon as possible: Pineco. After finding two and having them both explode in my face, I finally manage to catch one. The first somewhat-difficult species! Yes, only available from Headbutt trees and evolving late (by Johto standards, at least) Pineco needs some raising if I want it to evolve. However, thanks to its poor Speed, abysmal natural movepool, and inclination towards suicidal attacks, Pineco is a distinctly unpleasant species to raise so once I reach Route 34 it's over to the Day-Care Lady with you! And of course we must pick up the Odd Egg from the Day-Care Man. Ooh, hope it's something good. I mean, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. But Magby or Cleffa would probably be most useful to me right now.

I catch a Snubbull on Route 34 too and root around for a Ditto, too. Not even bothering with Abra, it's so cheap from the Game Corner that catching one would be a waste of Pokeballs. Oh yeah, Drowzee's on this route, too. But only at night. Have to come back for that one. Youngster Ian's Diglett causes me to grind my teeth, since it's so long until we'll be able to get one.

Into Goldenrod City, the place where things happen! Mm-yeah. First order of business - after picking up a Spearow with a cool nickname from Randy - is getting the bike. Let's get those eggs hatched. But first I head down into the tunnel to collect the Coin Case. Mmm, I should probably have set the clock a few hours earlier so I could nab the slot machine with the best odds... at least the prize Pokemon are so mercifully cheap. But then again, Wobbuffet should be fairly easy to catch later on and hopefully I'll have the time to find a Marowak, too, so I decide to only collect Abra for now. Since I need to go to the Dept Store anyway to pick up some more balls, I promptly trade it away for a Machop.

I just wish Dratini was still a prize in Crystal... but we'll get around to that one later.

1682677931890.png

Pokedex count: 28. Doing good!

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Route 35 contains little of interest, save that one Bug Catcher you need to trigger a Yanma swarm. Not going to chase those until I've got Fly, though. After finding a decent Headbutt tree I eventually winkle out an Exeggcute, though it takes so many Pokeballs to catch it I soon wish I hadn't bothered.

National Park has the good stuff - Sunkern, Nidoran-F, and Nidoran-M (in that order). Amusingly, Bill calls after I catch the first to tell me my box is full, even though I haven't met him yet. I release a few of my catches to proceed. And after I catch the second, one of my eggs hatches into Togepi! That'll be on hand for a while. I leave all the trainers in National Park unfought, as well as a couple in the surrounding area. Quilava is high-levelled enough that it won't get much benefit, and I can save it for one of the other things I need to raise later on.

Gym time! I trounce the trainers, swiftly heal, and return for Whitney. Quilava has reached level 28 by now, but her Miltank opts for Rollout on turn 1 and ends up knocking me out before I can 4HKO - thankfully, I have a Revive on hand. First slightly tough fight is nice, though.

It pains me to drop so much of my money but I buy as many Great Balls as I can before heading up to Route 35 again. Surprisingly, though I expected it to be a tough catch, Sudowoodo is caught on the first throw, though it did manage to knock Quilava out with Rock Throw before I could lower its HP as much as I'd have liked. But no matter!

Everything I'd want to catch on Route 37 is a nighttime species, so that can skipped for now. Luckily, gaining access to Ecruteak means all manner of new areas open up, even before I can use Surf. Route 42 is a mountain area, so that means Aipom - doesn't take too long to find, but it's an annoyingly tricky catch. Sadly there isn't a tree with Heracross. I head through my favourite cave, Mt Mortar - thankfully lit in this version - managing to catch a Raticate as I go as well as a hilariously underlevelled Golbat (though both of these, too, take an annoyingly large amount of attempts to catch. There's that stock of Great Balls down the toilet). Once I emerge onto the other side I find an Arbok in the grass and try to catch that too, but inadvertently knock it out. Bah! Still, there'll be others.

What I'm really after, though, is on Route 43. Farfetch'd is here - no, not that. Pidgeotto is what I want. What, really? Oh, yes. Since Pidgeot (quite bizarrely and possibly uniquely for a Kanto mon that evolves by level) hasn't ever been a wild Pokemon in a regular main series game, that's a species I'll need to raise for a while. Luckily Normal-types don't struggle too much against Morty's gym, and it has Gust so is able to actually hit back at all the Gastly there. Tempted as I am to nickname it "Best" in homage to a friend who did the same when we were young (not because it was his best Pokemon... just the highest levelled. No, I don't understand his thinking either) I resist.

But before we can do the gym, we'll need to go to Burned Tower! Luckily there's a practice Haunter here - Silver's. Pidgeotto sees it off with ease after it obligingly uses Curse to make the job easier. I save before releasing the legendary beasts and end up soft resetting a few times. This is because the beasts will go to either Route 37, 38, or 42 once being released (separately) - if you go straight to one of those routes, you're more or less guaranteed to find one of them straight away if you use a Repel and have a high-level lead. That's in Gold and Silver, at least. With only two roamers in Crystal instead of three, you won't always end up being so lucky. It takes a few tries before I encounter Raikou on Route 38: it flees, of course, before I can attack it. But now I've got it in the Pokedex I can track it, though there's no point seriously attempting to catch either of them for a long while yet.

Deciding to pick up the Good Rod from Olivine, my Repel runs out as I head west and I end up encountering a Miltank. I'd expected to have to spend ages looking for one, and it's a fittingly difficult capture. It turns out to be holding a Moomoo Milk, though, so totally worth it! Pessimist that I am, I expect Tauros will subsequently take ages to find, but whatever. I pick up HM04, Strength, while I'm here and put my new fishing rod to good use by catching a Krabby. A fisherman in the harbour tells me that Shellder is common here (which is a blatant lie since the encounter rate is a pathetic 10%); I catch a Tentacool and a Chinchou, but no luck with that one.

Gym time again. Curse shenanigans aside, Pidgeotto has a fairly easy time of it and is able to sweep through all the trainers more or less single-handedly. Morty's Gengar almost defeats it by inflicting sleep, but I have the Chinchou I just caught with me and manage to use Thunder Wave on it, allowing me crucial turns to wake up and Gust it to death.

Let's go get Surf and REALLY explore Johto!

1682693714462.png

Pokedex count: 43.

Feel like I need to pick up the pace, but I think we can make it to 100 by tonight...

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

It's over to the Dance Theatre we go. As I'm on the way over, my Odd Egg hatches - it's a Tyrogue. Meh. Boxing that for now. Anyway. Between them, Quilava and Pidgeotto are able to take out all the girls' Eeveelutions, earning me the respect and praise of an old geezer. Yay, Surf!

Before going anywhere else, I head east - there's an item I want to get that'll be highly useful to this run. Dipping briefly into Mt Mortar's central entrance to Surf around for a bit and catch a Seaking and a Marill (who needs a swarm?), I head back through Mahogany Town and Route 43 (conveniently encountering and catching a Furret on the way) to reach the Lake of Rage where the Red Gyarados lurks in wait.

It's a miserable fight that almost wipes out my whole team, but finally one of my Great Balls succeeds: the Red Gyarados is mine. Now it's time to hightail it to Mr Pokemon's house. Yes, the Red Scale I obtained after catching the Gyarados is mighty pretty - but I want the Exp Share! For obvious reasons, it'll be a pretty handy tool going forward. As a matter of fact, the Marill I just caught is first in line to hold it, since it only needs one level to evolve. We're off to Union Cave so it's a pretty safe bet some experience will be coming our way quite soon.

Why Union Cave, I hear you ask? Well, because it's Friday, and in addition to getting down, we also catch Lapras on Friday. First, though, I head out to the entrance that leads to the Ruins of Alph so that I can catch Natu and - very, very eventually - Smeargle, almost failing to catch it when Pidgeotto's Quick Attack does a surprisingly high amount of damage and it nearly Struggles itself to death. Even though you can get a Xatu by trading much later on, the Natu I catch is level 24 (one level from evolving) so I figure that'll be the next thing I rotate into my team and give the Exp Share to, which I promptly do once Marill has evolved into Azumarill.

Descending into the lower depths of Union Cave, catching a Wooper on the way, I happen across Lapras. Two Headbutts and one Quick Attack brings its HP to a single pixel and I begin chucking balls - but it breaks out of all my Great Balls. I resort to Pokeballs, all of them even more ineffective. Just as I'm starting to think I'll need to reset and try again, my second-to-last Pokeball finally works. Wooo! Lapras makes for one very nice-looking dex entry indeed.

Since I'm near Azalea Town, I take the opportunity to make a few more captures. Azalea Town is considered a mountain area by the game, so I find a suitable tree and Headbutt it until a wild Heracross falls out. Since it's asleep it's a relatively easy catch! I also make sure to pick up the Charcoal to sell for big money.

Slowpoke Well is now fully accessible to me, so I head straight in to see if I can catch a mighty Slowbro, though I expect that that, also, will be a horrendously difficult species to capture. After picking up TM18, Rain Dance, and getting a King's Rock off the bloke hanging out in the lower level (I love when NPCs hang out in remote spots like this) I Surf around until I finally find one. An absolute tank capable of sponging many Headbutts though it may be, it surprisingly only takes two Pokeballs to catch. I was so fixated on getting myself a Slowbro I didn't even bother to catch a Slowpoke as I searched - that omission is swiftly corrected.

I leave via Ilex Forest and it takes a surprisingly short amount of time to find both a Psyduck and a Golduck in the pond I can now Surf across, though Golduck is a phenomenally annoying Pokemon to catch. Seriously, the thing practically eats Pokeballs! Stopping in briefly at the Day-care reveals that the Pineco I left earlier has gained 10 levels. Not bad, not bad. I figure I may as well leave Tyrogue here, too.

1682699948044.png

Should bloody well hope not. What a revolting thought.

Right, where next? To Olivine and across the sea, I guess - I'm itching to get my hands on Fly, and a Fighting-type gym is basically an all-you-can-eat for Pidgeotto. I make sure to catch a Magnemite en route. Ironically, it's holding a Metal Coat. I can safely say that won't do me a blind bit of good.

To the Lighthouse! ...and then out again, since the first battle gave Natu enough experience to hit level 25 and evolve into Xatu. I've not got a lot else to give a share of the experience to right now so I opt for Nidoran-M. Saves catching a Nidorino down the line, and there's at least one Moon Stone in Johto. Well, actually just one, I think. But that's for later.

However, as most of the trainers in the Lighthouse are avoidable, I end up skipping them. I quickly emerge into Amphy's cozy-looking living quarters (much nicer than the sterile prison he lives in in HGSS - no, I will never stop being peeved by this) and speak to Jasmine, who requests I go to Cianwood and get some medicine for her. Will do! Glad I remembered to do that. It seems really obvious, I know, but once or twice I have genuinely gone all the way across the sea only to realise I never actually initiated that particular quest.

My trip across Route 40 and Route 41 is pretty mild; only end up fighting a couple of trainers, but even those are enough to give Nidoran the experience it needs to reach level 16 and evolve into Nidorino. Wahey. I even encounter a wild Tentacruel, only to accidentally KO it with an unwanted critical hit. Unexpectedly, the very last Pokemon I encounter is a Mantine: I'm very careful not to KO it, but the four remaining Pokeballs I have on hand are not sufficient to catch it. I'll return and have my revenge, you bloated bloviating buffoon.

And of course another pair of Tentacruel show up once I'm out of Pokeballs.

I console myself by taking the free Shuckle that's here. No smashing rocks for me ...yet. After sighting Suicune and taking my sour mood out on Eusine, it's gym time again. As expected, the Black Belts in here are little match for Pidgeotto's power. Chuck, however, actually proves challenging to beat! His Primeape gets a critical hit on Pidgeotto, while Poliwrath quickly puts it to sleep and lands a Dynamicpunch. Luckily, Quilava is able to Headbutt it to death, though it manages to do some serious damage with Surf before it falls.

Chuck's an underrated gym leader, for sure. His wife sees that I beat him and gives me HM02, Fly (wouldn't it have been lovely if you'd given me that BEFORE the match?) which I cheerfully teach to Pidgeotto. Ease of movement at last!

It's finally night in-game, so I take advantage of this and fly back to previous locations to catch some species that only come out when the sun goes down: Oddish, Venonat, Stantler, Spinarak, Staryu, and, uh... Jigglypuff, which pops up as I'm heading through Route 34. Nice as it is to bolster my total a bit, I figure it's best overall to progress through the story so quickly abandon this effort and head back to the Lighthouse to give Amphy the SecretPotion. Jasmine returns to the gym, and I follow in hot pursuit.

1682703931133.png

Pokedex count: 68.

We're definitely transitioning into a point where many Pokemon require a little more time investment to acquire. Things are getting trickier...

Last edited:
Nice progress so far! 68 species in less than 10 hours is impressive!

Some random comments:
(is there any other choice?)
Totodile. Even if I prefer Cyndaquil (just like you, it is my favorite Johto starter) I think that I'm going to pick Totodile if I ever get around to playing through Crystal again. Never picking Chikorita again, that much is for sure.
Well, because it's Friday, and in addition to getting down
Thanks for reminding me that this supposedly awful song exists... I have actually never listened to it, and I won't do it now either.
I quickly emerge into Amphy's cozy-looking living quarters (much nicer than the sterile prison he lives in in HGSS - no, I will never stop being peeved by this)
I agree, and even more, I prefer the overall Lighthouse design in G/S/C over its design in HG/SS. Despite the graphical improvements in HG/SS, it just feels a lot more interesting and even cozy in G/S/C. HG/SS just made it sterile, uncharming and uninteresting.

Keep up the good progress!

QuentinQuonce

Jasmine's almost laughably quick work; her dual Magnemite an easy OHKO, her Steelix a 2HKO. I've given the Exp Share to my Nidoran-F, and the battle is enough to get it straight to level 15 - once I've gotten her badge I head into the grass on Route 39 and kill a couple of Raticate, which levels her to 16 and evolves her into Nidorina. I also catch a Meowth when one shows up.

Let's clear out Mahogany. I head back to Lake of Rage and speak to Lance, who I utterly ignored when he showed up earlier, and agree to help him flush Team Rocket out of their HQ.

When we enter the hideout, I make a beeline for that annoying trap floor. Koffing can be caught here, and although it and Weezing can both be caught in the Burned Tower, Weezing has a miserable 1% encounter rate so I'd rather not waste time looking for it. Koffing evolves at the unreasonably high level of 35, but the ones here come at level 21 which is just high enough that I'm content to stick an Exp Share on it and let it slowly rack up points until it's ready. Quilava and Pidgeotto are both coming to the end of their usage "lifespans" and I'll be looking to replace them soon.

I briskly catch both a Koffing and a Voltorb, then sweep through the hideout with few problems. I save before tackling the three Electrode, as I want to catch one, but this proves unnecessary as I catch the first without a hitch.

Time for gym number seven. I don't bother to take on any of the trainers and just go straight to Pryce. Pidgeot 2HKOs Seel, but Dewgong is a blubbery wall that tanks all of Quilava's hits, lowers its Speed, and then uses Rest to undo all my efforts. Since Icy Wind apparently caused a speed tie, it gets in first a couple of times it shouldn't and is able to Rest a second time. I alternate Headbutt and Flame Wheel and finally get it low enough that Quick Attack will finish the job. Piloswine is much easier - solid 2HKO.

Now I've got seven badges, Elm calls to tell me that something weird is happening with his radio. Yes, Team Rocket have occupied Goldenrod City (fun fact: when I went back to Goldenrod earlier, there were a few there already - seems like they gradually build their presence up. Was not aware of this). But I don't care about that. I have business in Ice Path, site of many new Pokemon species. Yes, Crystal lets you in here before clearing the Radio Tower. I Surf across Route 44, catching a Poliwag in the process, and head inside.

This place has delightful variance depending on the time of day. At night, Delibird appears, monstrously annoying though it do be to catch. It takes numerous attempts before one remains in battle without fleeing long enough for numerous Great Balls to finally work. Sneasel takes a little longer to encounter, though is a much easier catch.

Jynx (which requires changing the clock, I ain't coming back here again) is a similarly rare encounter which takes forever to find, and when I do the thought of its abysmally low Defence makes me hesitate to even use Pidgeotto's Quick Attack to weaken it. It just about survives, though. Lastly, Swinub is also made available during the hours of the day, though I'm stubbornly insistent on only catching one at the highest possible level: 26. That'd be because this thing evolves, too - and I want to make that happen as quickly as I can. I can't resist sneaking onto Route 45 before changing the clock back and end up catching a Donphan there. Much better than going to the effort of seeking out a Phanpy; probably best to breed that eventually.

Anyway. I Fly over to Goldenrod, checking in at the Day-Care to find my Tyrogue has grown 14 levels. Why, that's exactly what was needed! You can have the Exp Share for a bit, as I enter the Radio Tower and root out these awful so-and-sos inside it. Roughly 1100 exp later, we have two evolutions in the party - Tyrogue levels up and evolves into Hitmontop (nice - and actually, when you think about the way the Odd Egg IVs are generated, completely unsurprising), while Quilava at last hits level 36 and becomes a mighty Typhlosion. Hoo-yeah. That's me done with Typhlosion, then. Well, idk. It may very likely be useful for the Elite Four, but I'm wary of investing more experience into a fully-evolved mon than is needed. Backseat for now, to be called upon.

I make it to the top floor, beat the imposter Director, head down into the underground tunnel, fight my way through, and find the real Director. But more importantly I pick up the Amulet Coin. Oooh, yes please. All those Great Balls and Ultra Balls do NOT come cheap. Fighting my way back to the top of the tower, though long and tedious, provides ample experience for my party, and by the time it's all over both Pidgeotto and Koffing are on the verge of evolving.

The Director enters and thanks me for saving everyone, then gives me a Clear Bell. Ah yes, it's Suicune time. Not just yet, though. Gonna hold off on that for a while, there's other stuff I want to do. Namely, Blackthorn Gym!

Being as it's been a while since I caught anything new, however, I make a quick trip into Dark Cave and search for the nighttime-only Wobbuffet, which I find and capture relatively quickly. Did anyone ever actually use Wobbuffet in Gen II?

Swinub, as I expected, is garbage. I was hoping it'd be at least some use here. It's left to Pidgeotto to take on the first couple of trainers, which finally pushes it to level 36 and prompts its evolution into Pidgeot. Thank you for your service. Koffing is not far behind, evolving a couple of battles later into Weezing. This lets me transfer the Exp Share to Swinub for subsequent matches. It's not like I've got anything else to raise yet (or anything that powerful) so Pidgeot and Typhlosion are my best bet against Clair. Weezing can be a suicide bomber.

She's tough, but I come prepared: I give Pidgeot a PrzCureberry as a guard against her Thunder Wave-spamming Dragonair and am able to kill off the first two without winding up statused. Typhlosion sees off the third. Weezing is able to tank a hit from Kingdra, surviving long enough to use Selfdestruct, which surprisingly takes it down in one hit. It's safe to say Swinub enjoys the fat wad of experience from that.

As ever, Clair refuses to hand over the badge. For once, her outrage is kind of justified. That was a very cheap win. I go to the Dragon's Den and head straight for the shrine: I want that Dratini. It's a shame that I have to hurry or I'd take the time to perform my signature glitch. Ah, well.

Yes, Dratini is the next mon I intend to raise, and since its final evolution level is a whopping 55, it's going to eat up a lot of resources. Luckily, I've left a lot of trainers in Johto unfought so that I can raise it relatively quickly.

Elm calls as soon as I leave the Dragon's Den and asks me to come by his lab, as he has a Master Ball for me. Master Ball, eh...? Well, I know exactly what to use that on. It takes almost no time at all to locate Raikou and capture it. Easy come, easy go. Using Chamale's method, I also manage to locate Entei after a few tries. For shits and giggles, I use Powder Snow and somehow hit first, and this winds up freezing it.

1682720919212.png

I believe the correct response to this is lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
It eventually defrosts and escapes, though. Just gotta find myself a sleep inducer...

1682721273684.png

Pokedex count: 86.

Not quite triple figures yet... but we're getting there. Still a while to go before I call it a day.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Before I do anything else, I resolve to get Swinub and Dratini levelled up. I travel across the land (searching far and wide, you might say), seeking out trainers I've yet to fight. I catch a Gligar on Route 45 while I'm looking. Dratini needs some babying, but finally hits level 22 and learns Dragon Rage, making it feel a bit more like the nuke it should be.

What. The. Fuck. Is. Wrong. With. Quagsire. I encounter five when I return to the basement of Union Cave, and all of them flee on the first turn. By the time I find individual number six, it's practically a matter of pride. I bash it about and throw an overcompensating Ultra Ball, succeeding in the capture. Quagsire, my nemesis.

While I'm doing all this, I get a call. (In-game, I mean.) I got Hiker Anthony's number earlier, and he calls to let me know that Dunsparce are swarming in Dark Cave. Damn, didn't even need to do the time-change trick. I fly over to Violet City and quickly catch a Dunsparce.

It's Saturday! Which means that the Bug-Catching Contest is on. How can I possibly resist? I find a Scyther and Beedrill and manage to catch them both, utilising Dratini's Dragon Rage. I'm playing to catch, not to win, so it's not much of a surprise when my almost-fainted Scyther only nets me second place (not least since Nick is present). I set the clock to a different day and try again. This time, I make sure to catch a Scyther without damaging it - I also manage to catch a Pinsir, though I don't keep it. This time, I win and get the coveted Sun Stone! Yay. Seeing as I'm running low on bag space, I use it straight away on Sunkern, evolving it into a Sunflora.

Apparently I'm having a good night. I gave my number to Fisherman Tully after deleting Anthony, and he rings right after the Bug-Catching Contest to say he's got a Water Stone for me. Lovely - that allows me to evolve my Staryu into Starmie.

Back on the grind. Dratini is levelling up surprisingly quickly - quicker even than Swinub. Embarrassing, piggy. But a few defeated Hikers later and the job's finally done: Swinub hits level 33 and evolves into Piloswine. Never have I been so relieved to box something.

How is my old Pineco doing? I return to the Day-Care and learn that it's grown 19 levels. Only two away from evolution. Yeah, I'll do those myself. Taking it out leaves both slots open, so I deposit Jynx and Ditto. Breed quickly, you pair! While I grind a bit on Route 45, I manage to catch a Geodude and a Graveler too. Finally, my grind pays off: Pineco levels up to 31, evolving into Forretress, and Dratini hits level 30, evolving into Dragonair.

Oh, you know what I forgot to pick up earlier? Eevee. Silly me.

And I think that's a good place to stop for now. Will resume in the morning. Night, all.

1682732987075.png

Pokedex count: 100.

Phew. Made it.

QuentinQuonce

Up and at them! Let's proceed.

Sure enough, when I return to the Day-Care an egg has been produced. I swap Jynx for Eevee and press on.

Time to head to the Pokemon League, I think. I head to Route 27 but quickly turn back after failing to catch a Tentacruel. Coming through here with no Pokeballs seems a complete waste when there's new stuff to catch: after stocking up, I catch Doduo, Arbok, Sandslash, and Ponyta. The trainers here are tough, but their massive experience yields are worth the frequent healing I have to do. Victory Road is obviously quick and simple - I put on a Repel to quickly pass through it and mark Indigo Plateau as a Fly location, then heal and head back in. There's only one species in here I need to catch - well, two: Rhyhorn and Rhydon. The latter takes some searching, but I find one in time. I also make use of the Moon Stone in Tohjo Falls to evolve my Nidorina into Nidoqueen.

Even after all that back-and-forth, the egg I collected has barely shifted. I head back to Goldenrod, collecting an Eevee egg as I go, and make a beeline for the long path in National Park, riding my bike up and down it until it hatches. Cool! That's Smoochum obtained. Another Eevee egg has been generated while I walked so I pick that up in its place.

Right, time to take on the Elite Four, I think. But who am I going to use? I've obviously got Dragonair, Typhlosion, and Pidgeot. And I also have Raikou. That's one legendary beast - if I catch Suicune, I'll have another.

After passing through the Tin Tower gate and beating up three old men, I'm permitted access to the Tin Tower, where Suicune greets me. Entei is also there, looking strangely lopsided without Raikou by its side.

I'm fairly prepared for this fight: I have 20 Ultra Balls, and I'm using Dragon Rage so as not to accidentally KO. I've even brought Jynx with me - it's so low-levelled even Suicune's Bubblebeam might OHKO it, but Lovely Kiss is too useful to ignore. Once Dragonair eventually faints, however, I'm able to send it out and get off a Lovely Kiss without impediment. It barely makes any difference, though. Suicune breaks out of 10 Ultra Balls on the first throw. I correctly predict when it'll wake up and time a second and third Lovely Kiss to put it straight back under, but it eventually awakens and knocks me out, then breaks out of all my remaining Great and Ultra Balls.

Let's reset and try that again, shall we?

It takes two more resets for that to work. Oh lord, that was painful. Still, that's Raikou and Suicune down. Four more legendaries still to catch... yay?

1682761771292.png

Pokedex count: 109.

It's a start.

QuentinQuonce

Okay, now it actually IS time to take on the Elite Four.

I take Typhlosion, Raikou, Suicune, Pidgeot, and Dragonair. As I've a spare spot, I decide to take Weezing, since the tactic of exploding on Clair's Kingdra worked well last time. Might be useful here too. I'm pretty confident, it's a team of Pokemon around level 40 and they're all pretty tough. Got a few X Items too, though I'd rather not use them. So many friendship evolutions to grind out...

Will isn't too troublesome - all of his Pokemon are weak to types I have, so I'm able to 2HKO all of them except Slowbro, only suffering one casualty in return. I've got a good stock of healing items, of course. And I've got the Exp Share on Dragonair throughout, so it's receiving the benefit of everyone's work. Typhlosion is very nearly able to sweep Koga singlehandedly, though I let Raikou deal with Crobat and switch Suicune in when Muk starts getting troublesome. Bruno is moderately difficult but manageable - Pidgeot takes out Hitmontop, Suicune takes out Onix, and then it's a group effort for the final three.

I lead with Weezing for Karen and explode on turn one, since I really can't be bothered dealing with Umbreon's nonsense. It fails to KO, but Suicune is able to snipe the remaining HP with Surf. From there it's a straightforward fight - Typhlosion kills Vileplume, Raikou takes out Murkrow, and Suicune deals with both Gengar and Houndoom.

I don't have any Ice moves (Suicune learns Aurora Beam at level 41, but it's a way off yet - should have done a bit of grinding, really) but I've still got four revives and a bunch of potions, so I think I can take Lance. In this I am correct. Raikou easily 2HKOs Gyarados with Thundershock and Typhlosion almost manages to take down his first Dragonite, leaving it in range for Dragonair's Extremespeed to finish off - Raikou uses Leer repeatedly on the second one, and Pidgeot is able to take it out. Suicune deals with Aerodactyl and Charizard, and I go all out on the final Dragonite, dishing out damage with everyone until it finally falls.

Sweet, that's that done! One of the biggest obstacles cleared. We're obviously not nearly done yet, though. Let's get out of Johto and head east to Kanto.

1682765126429.png

After getting the SS Ticket from Elm and depositing a couple of team members in exchange for my two still-unhatched eggs, I board the SS Aqua and sweep the trainers onboard with Dragonair, now at a respectable level 42. I quickly find the missing girl, for which her grandpa gives me another useless Metal Coat, and we arrive.

Not bothering with the gyms right away - that's only useful for getting me to Mt Silver, which in itself only matters for getting a final few species. I can catch more stuff in Kanto proper. Getting the Super Rod is high on my agenda so I head north, east, and then south again to get it from the guy on Route 12. That makes finding a Shellder easier - I also catch Lanturn and Tentacruel.

The routes around Saffron have some good picks. Despite Marowak being a rare spawn on Route 9, it's the first thing I encounter there - this comes in useful, as I'm able to use the Repel trick to find an Electabuzz outside the Power Plant. I also catch a Fearow on Route 17, but of course what I'm really after is Slugma. It's not far off its evolving level - I'd assumed it was caught at a lower one than this - but it's still going straight in the Day-Care when I get back to Johto.

And then in Celadon, there's Porygon... blah. At least it isn't 9999 coins. 5555 looks much more achievable compared to that. But I'll wait. My money is needed elsewhere first.

1682769174592.png

Pokedex count: 116.

Hardly great progress, but much of this update was, obviously enough, spent battling instead.

QuentinQuonce

Wild Muk can be found in the Celadon City pond at a rate of 10%. That's good enough for me, so I go searching. Given Grimer's horrendously high evolution level (38), I categorically refuse to raise one. After some searching, one appears, and I use Dragonair's Wrap to stop it from escaping. It takes a few Ultra Balls to catch. Oh yeah, Kurt was making me a Fast Ball. I'll come back for Grimer when I have that; Muk will do for now.

I head down to Fuchsia City. Ugh, I cannot tell you how much I am dreading the tedious hunt for Chansey. I do a brief perfunctory search on Route 14 with no luck, though do catch a Skiploom. Coming back at night and doing the Repel trick again to marginally boost the odds seems my best bet.

I should open up the western side of Kanto. Obtaining the Machine Part from the lone Rocket grunt (don't tell anyone, but I picked it up before battling him) I return it to the Power Plant - ugh, I'm going to have to come back here a THIRD time to make that one trade after I've been to Diglett's Cave, aren't I. Once all that's done, it's time to buy another ton of Great and Ultra Balls, collect the EXPN Card, and Fly to Vermilion. That Skiploom I just caught might come in handy - it's fast, and has Sleep Powder.

Just as I'm walking over, one of my Eevee eggs hatches. Excellent!

...oh, right. Should have collected the original Radio Card. Looks like I better Fly to Indigo Plateau and make the trek back to Johto, then (it's probably quicker than getting the Rail Pass). As long as I'm here, I may as well make the most of it. I pick up another couple of Eevee eggs, leave Electabuzz at the Day-Care instead, catch a Corsola and a Kingler, pick up my Fast Ball from Kurt, get Picnicker Gina's number, and return home to do the DST trick and force her to give me a Leaf Stone. I'd like a second but she doesn't oblige - I'll try again later.

Right. Back to where I was. As I predicted, Skiploom proves invaluable against Snorlax - Leech Seed mitigates its Leftovers recovery, and it's fast enough to prevent it Resting by using Sleep Powder. It's a tense fight that almost ends when Snore nearly OHKOs it, but eventually I succeed in capturing Snorlax.

Boy, that really sucked up some time. I race through Diglett's Cave and quickly catch a Diglett and a Dugtrio, then get to Pewter City where I collect the Silver Wing. One brief trip to the Power Plant later and I have a Magneton!

Okay. Not bad going. But once again, I feel myself needing to pick up the pace.

1682777546921.png

Pokedex count: 124.

Inching ever closer.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Heading south from Pewter. Right, what else can I catch...? Ah yes, everyone's favourite little yellow rat, of course. I find a delightfully underlevelled Butterfree while I'm searching for it - that'll save evolving the Metapod I've already got - and eventually find and catch Pikachu.

The two trainers on Route 1 are nice and strong, so I give my Skiploom the Exp Share, and as Dragonair hits level 50, Skiploom hits level 31 and evolves into Jumpluff. Hmm, a fast Pokemon with a reliable sleep move... can't think what I might need to keep that around for.

The grass below Pallet Town is worth exploring. Apparently I haven't caught Tangela yet - Wrap makes that job easier. Much as I like the idea of Pokemon that flee in concept, in practice it's awful. I lost a shiny Tangela once because of it, it haunts me. Oh, and Mr Mime is here too.

I Surf southwards to Cinnabar, just to chivvy that skiver Blue back to his gym. Now seems a good time to take care of all the Kanto gyms - hopefully the combined experience will get Dragonair over the line. I start with Janine, and crush her with ease. It's interesting that she's not in the centre of her gym like you'd expect. Erika's gym is up next - yeah, with all these mandatory trainers, we're definitely going to evolve soon. I should see if I've got anything else that can benefit from the Exp Share: may as well give it to Slugma. I take on Sabrina after her, then Brock, then Surge, upon which Slugma gains enough experience to evolve into Magcargo. Yay!

Time for Misty, and the grind that comes before her. Ah, Bill's grandfather. Joy. He wants to see a Lickitung but I... haven't actually caught one of those yet. All in good time. I give the Exp Share to Spinarak and defeat everyone within a ten-mile radius of her gym, evolving it into Ariados. Blaine next, and Snubbull takes the Exp Share. After defeating a few trainers in the sea and the main man himself, Snubbull evolves into Granbull, but what's more, Dragonair finally evolves into Dragonite!

EDIT: Thanks to pieman83 for reminding me, I used the Leaf Stone I got from Gina to evolve my Exeggcute into Exeggutor.

Damn, what a grind. Just Blue to go. And then, Mt Silver...

1682788403533.png

Pokedex count: 134.

Argh

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

I'm expecting Blue to be a wickedly tough fight, but that's very much not the case. Dragonite and Snorlax are more than capable of sorting out his entire team (hot take, I know, but Snorlax really dominates GSC, doesn't it?)

My fitting reward for obtaining all eight Kanto badges is access to Mt Silver. Good! That's just where I want to go. There's a few fun new species to catch here - like Parasect, Ursaring, Magmar, and Misdreavus - but, of course, what I actually want is Larvitar. It can appear at level 15 or level 20; naturally, I catch the higher-levelled one, though my god does this thing not want to be caught.

After that, it's time to clean up a bit by catching a few species I missed previously. Lickitung is the first of these, Poliwhirl the second, Weepinbell the third, and Clefairy the fourth. I show Bill's grandfather some of his desired species and receive all the stones except the Thunderstone, which I still need to breed a certain species for, and use them to obtain Arcanine, Victreebel, and Starmie. Finally, I reset the clock enough times to collect as many Moon Stones as I still need from Mt Moon Square. Hilariously, if you save inside the area with the rock and start the game on a Monday night, the event will start if you try to leave and the Clefairy will blink into existence behind you.

Speaking of breeding, that is also happening. I have more eggs than I can carry, but eventually I hatch a couple more Eevee. Now for some babies...

As I'm running around anyway, I figure now might be a good time to try and catch the final legendary beast. Jumpluff is summoned back to the party and I consult the Pokedex to find where I have to go, tracking it to Route 36. As hoped, Entei appears, and I successfully put it to sleep - and it only takes two Ultra Balls to catch it. Yesssssssss. Nice one, Entei makes three. And now I can get Ho-oh. But, y'know, no rush on that.

1682812502289.png

Pokedex count: 147. Good going.

Last edited:
You seem to have missed chronicling a 'mon in part 10? Your listed catches end up one short of the dex number in parts 10 and 11, and unfortunately from the places you've visited I can't quite pin down what it is, either. My best guess is Ledian or an evolution.
also Diglett in part 9 and Magmar in part 11 are not bold

QuentinQuonce

My Jigglypuff has made an egg. Out of gratitude, I evolve it into Wigglytuff.

Scanning the Pokedex highlights one fairly prominent absent species. Gloom is tediously hard to find in Crystal, so I simply bite the bullet and have a low-levelled Oddish hold the Exp Share while I grind a bit until it evolves (into, y'know... Gloom).

It's nighttime again, which means I can catch Houndour and Murkrow. I always think Houndour evolves much earlier than it actually does, but level 24 is pleasantly low. Seeing as I have this and one other thing in need of levelling up, I decide to do the Elite Four again. Dragonite should be able to tear through them with relative ease, and I have others that can back it up. It doesn't take too long, and gets me a Persian. Was hoping it'd be enough to level them both up, but oh well. Just have to do it again sometime. I'm not doing it solely for Houndour, though, so I grind outside Mt Silver until I've done enough to evolve it into Houndoom.

The Magmar I left in the Day-Care is taking ages to produce an egg so I go off and ride around to hatch the two I have left, eventually yielding an Igglybuff and an Elekid. Even after all that, no egg! In frustration, I withdraw it and stick Pikachu in its place, but even after riding around some more, no egg from that, either. I'm so annoyed by GSC's dumb breeding mechanics that I actually go to hunt down a female Magmar AND a male Clefairy to improve the odds of a quick breed. It works! I guess I should go find a female Pikachu too. I find a Ledian first... no joy on a girl rat yet.

1682821339231.png

Pokedex count: 156.

Time for sleep.

You seem to have missed chronicling a 'mon in part 10? Your listed catches end up one short of the dex number in parts 10 and 11, and unfortunately from the places you've visited I can't quite pin down what it is, either. My best guess is Ledian or an evolution.
also Diglett in part 9 and Magmar in part 11 are not bold
Ugh, why do I always miss something? Thanks for noticing that, it was Exeggutor I failed to mention - edited part 10.

QuentinQuonce

Just over 12 hours left. How close can I get to the finish line?

I find the Pikachu I need and successfully breed it, then depart to hatch the three eggs I have left - eventually hatching Cleffa, Pichu, and Magby. I only need to breed one more Tyrogue - I still have the one in Mt Mortar to get - so I leave that with Ditto, intending to give it as much time as possible.

I catch a Mantine on Route 41 to avenge my earlier failure. I was going to breed both Teddiursa and Phanpy, but can't quite bring myself to do so - instead, I hunt them down in Dark Cave and Route 45, using Jumpluff's Sleep Powder to prevent them from fleeing. Teddiursa proves easy, but Phanpy continues to evade me for some time. I find a Skarmory, though, so it's not a total waste of time.

1682841323254.png

Pokedex count: 162.

Let's do this.

QuentinQuonce

Phanpy
is eventually found and brought to heel. God, this thing being found so early but being so monstrously hard to catch is borderline criminal.

Time to farm some evolution stones by baiting calls with the DST trick. Fire and Leaf come pretty quickly, but Dana wants to battle 4 times before she'll give up the goods. Not going to bother with Tully since I need multiple stones from him; I'm not wasting an hour on that. I use up some the stones I've got, acquiring Nidoking, Vileplume, Clefable, Raichu, Jolteon, and Flareon.

It's time to finally start grinding Larvitar - I could use the money, so an Amulet Coin-wielding Dragonite is put up front to smash Silver and the Elite Four. Thankfully, Larvitar shouldn't take quite as long as Dragonite did. Why? Rare Candy, of course. There are ten in the overworld, so the goal is level 45 rather than 55 which is much more achievable. I've got five already, so I zip around and pick up the last few, including one in Mt Mortar which also gives me an opportunity to pick up the other Tyrogue.

The last of them are in Tin Tower and Whirl Islands, so what better time than to catch Ho-oh and Lugia. Apparently you don't even need to alert Eusine that you've caught all three beasts, as the guy at the base of the tower just gives me the Rainbow Wing straight away. Way to humiliate Eusine even more, game. He has a cool backing track, though.

I climb Tin Tower, collecting all the nice valuable items inside, find Ho-oh chilling on the roof, and do the thing. I brought Jumpluff along, though it's unlikely that it'll survive long enough to get to use Sleep Powder; sure enough, it gets destroyed. Have to try and catch it conscious, then. Snorlax proves a great wall that can soak up hits... ugh, I forgot, it has Recover. Catching this is going to be hell. Sure enough, I end up needing two attempts but eventually Snorlax paralyses with Body Slam and I clinch a capture. Paralysis doesn't actually improve the catch rate in Gen II, but it gives me a few extra turns to shower it with Ultra Balls so it's appreciated nonetheless.

Off to Whirl Islands, home to many valuable items I can sell for big cashola. And also home to a few species I have yet to obtain: Seel, Horsea, and Seadra. The last of those is a rare spawn in the inner cavern only; it feels hilarious to completely ignore Lugia and Surf back and forth looking for it.

So, fun fact: back in the day, someone told me you could catch Lugia in a Pokeball with enough patience, so I bought 60 of them and did just that. Much as it would be amusing to repeat that feat, now is not the time. At least this thing's not quite as offensively threatening as Ho-oh; I'm able to put it to sleep, and it takes much less time to catch.

That's both Ho-oh and Lugia caught. Yeah!

I do a couple more runthroughs of the Elite Four, eventually evolving Larvitar into Pupitar, though I wait until it learns Crunch to let that happen. It's a painfully slow process though, as babying it in this way doesn't give it nearly enough experience. Thankfully I hardly fought any trainers across Kanto so I head out and whale on them (why are so many of them obsessed with littering?) until it's level 44. A level 54 Pupitar can absolutely knock out a few of the Elite Four's Pokemon itself, so I feed it all the Rare Candy and prepare to do one last runthrough with a couple of species that also need babying along for the ride.

1682854556362.png

Pokedex count: 174.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

I went looking for another Oddish and found a Gloom, so that was nice. Was going to bring that along to Indigo Plateau to raise up and evolve. I box it for later.

Moron that I am, I forgot to catch a Gastly in the Tin Tower earlier so double back and get one, and then catch a Haunter on Route 8. I'm also missing Kadabra (conveniently also on this route) and Machoke (c/o Mt Mortar), both of which feel like ludicrous omissions this late in the day.

The Day-Care has finally yielded up a Tyrogue egg, so I take that. Seeing as I need to run around for a bit to hatch it, I decide to do the thing I've been dreading... hunting down Chansey.

As I said, I plan on doing my search at night on Route 14, using a level 28 Pokemon as my lead and using a Repel to cut the pool of species that can appear. I'm not 100% sure if doing this actually makes encountering Chansey any more likely; I think it does, because it removes one species (Venonat) from the encounter table, but the resources I've found aren't clear on whether Chansey's rate stays at 1% or rises to fill the gap. If it doesn't have any effect - well, nothing else is going to make it easier to find so no harm done.

Anyway, it's fine because one of the species here is Venomoth, which I haven't caught yet.

It takes 38 minutes, but the pink whore finally appears! She promptly alternates Minimise and Softboiled so that my plan to put it to sleep and carefully lower its HP is wrecked. Running it out of PP may well be the best option; I use Flash over and over and wait until it can only use Tail Whip, then plink at it very gently with a weak special move and wait for Sleep Powder to connect.

1682859325149.png

HATE YOU

Given how everything else about finding this species is awful, I'm legitimately amazed that Chansey isn't a species that can flee from battle. I like to think that Game Freak's lawyers advised them that they'd likely be held responsible for an epidemic of stress-related aneurysms in young people if that were the case.

Also, like hell am I trading this to the NPC. Nor am I catching another one. Definitely breeding it.

1682861717264.png

Pokedex count: 181.

Last edited:
As I said, I plan on doing my search at night on Route 14, using a level 28 Pokemon as my lead and using a Repel to cut the pool of species that can appear. I'm not 100% sure if doing this actually makes encountering Chansey any more likely; I think it does, because it removes one species (Venonat) from the encounter table, but the resources I've found aren't clear on whether Chansey's rate stays at 1% or rises to fill the gap. If it doesn't have any effect - will, nothing else is going to make it easier to find so no harm done.
My understanding is that every square of grass the RNG spits out either "have an encounter" or "Don't". If "have" comes up, the game then runs another RNG and compares the output with a list of potential encounters for that area. If an invalid encounter comes up, then you just walk to the next grass tile, if a valid encounter comes up, *fight music*.

This is how the Repel trick for Roamers works, you don't encounter them any faster, but you don't encounter anything else either so you can check very quickly.

It does help slightly in this case. Checking the encounters for the route, lvl 28 blocks out exactly 50% of them. So your chances went from 1/100 to 1/50, with encounters overall half as frequently. That's not nothing, but it's also not great. (Morning/Day would have been 1/40, which is still awful)

QuentinQuonce

My understanding is that every square of grass the RNG spits out either "have an encounter" or "Don't". If "have" comes up, the game then runs another RNG and compares the output with a list of potential encounters for that area. If an invalid encounter comes up, then you just walk to the next grass tile, if a valid encounter comes up, *fight music*.

This is how the Repel trick for Roamers works, you don't encounter them any faster, but you don't encounter anything else either so you can check very quickly.

It does help slightly in this case. Checking the encounters for the route, lvl 28 blocks out exactly 50% of them. So your chances went from 1/100 to 1/50, with encounters overall half as frequently. That's not nothing, but it's also not great. (Morning/Day would have been 1/40, which is still awful)
Wait, morning would have been better?! Argh, maths. Night looked preferable.

Given that a lot of rare encounters in GSC are 5% (i.e. 1 in 20) I'll take 1/40 over 1/50.

QuentinQuonce

Two more gaps in my collection present themselves: Dodrio and Rapidash. I run around on Route 28 until I find them both, taking the opportunity to grind a little so that the Tyrogue I've attached the Exp Share to can level up and evolve into Hitmonchan.

Route 11 is the next place I go looking. I'm expecting to catch a Drowzee and baby it for a bit until it evolves but, mystifyingly, though I encounter two Hypno (accidentally KOing the first, so the second is an enjoyable surprise), Drowzee fails to appear for ages. It's a relatively easy catch once it does though. Nice.

Most of the wild Pokemon I have left to find are low-percentage-chance ones. I've never liked Rock Tunnel, so I decide to do the least-favoured one first and look there. Cubone is easy enough to find, but it's Kangaskhan I really want. I'm looking for it for ages before I twig that the Repel trick should make it a little easier to find; I dig out Shuckie, the only mon I have at level 15, and find the Kangaskhan I need shortly after.

But there's still a couple to evolve, so it's to the League I go once again. I return to Goldenrod to find that there's an egg awaiting me, but that and the unhatched Tyrogue can wait for now. I put the Seel I caught earlier in my party and dive in - after defeating Will and Koga, Pupitar finally evolves into Tyranitar. Well, Tyranitar was a lot more enjoyable to raise than Dragonite. Mind, thanks to all these repeated Elite Four runs, Dragonite is currently sat at a handsome level 64, so it's certainly fun now. It's not quite enough to make Seel evolve, but it's close. And I can think of something that'll help.

Respawning outside my house, I head in and change the clock back and forth with the DST trick until Tully calls me. If he wants to fight, I use Seel; if he has an item for me, I claim it gratefully; if he wants to natter aimlessly, I grind my teeth and curse the universe. Eventually, he forks over three Water Stones. Hurrah! Ironically, I always misremember and think that Seel is one that evolves with a Water Stone. It looks like it should. Anyway, now that I've got them I happily go ahead and use them up, obtaining Vaporeon, Poliwrath, and Cloyster.

1682869991477.png

Pokedex count: 192.

I'm... not daring to be optimistic yet, but do you think I might make it...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)