[COMPLETED] Hippowdon

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Hippowdon is one of the few weather inducers that can perform well outside of its weather.</li>
<li>It's one of the best physical walls in OU, walling threats such as Talonflame, Dragonite, Salamence, and Swords Dance Aegislash.</li>
<li>It has access to phazing and recovery.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Hippowdon has a low speed stat.</li>
<li>It has below average Special Defense and weaknesses to common special attackers such as Rotom-W and Greninja.</li>
<li>It's entry hazard bait for a lot of Spikes users in the metagame.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Physical Wall<br />
move 1: Earthquake<br />
move 2: Rock Slide<br />
move 3: Slack Off<br />
move 4: Whirlwind<br />
ability: Sand Stream<br />
item: Leftovers / Smooth Rock<br />
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD<br />
nature: Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)</p>

<p>This set takes advantage of Hippowdon's naturally high physical bulk to make it one of the premier physical walls in the OU metagame. Hippowdon's utility comes in its ability to wall troublesome new threats such as Swords Dance Aegislash and Talonflame, while still checking age old threats like Dragonite, Scizor, and Salamence. Rock Slide, most importantly, allows Hippowdon to hit Talonflame super effectively, while also damaging dangerous threats such as Dragonite and Salamence. Whirlwind prevents Hippowdon from being used for setup. Smooth Rock can be used over Leftovers, boosting sandstorm to eight turns, making Hippowdon a much more reliable partner for Excadrill. However, it is important to note that a lack of Leftovers recovery will seriously dampen Hippowdon's longevity.</p>

<p>Bulky special walls such as Goodra and Florges serve as excellent partners for this Hippowdon set. They are able to comfortably come in on Hippowdon's weaknesses, and in Sylveon's case, is able to even pass Wishes or Heal Bell to Hippowdon. Sylveon does particularly well, taking neutral or resisted damage from many popular specially attacking types, most notably its ease in handling Greninja's and Rotom-W's STABs. It is also important to note how Hippowdon is setup bait for many Spikers in this metagame, making spinners such as Starmie and Excadrill great partners as well. Excadrill also benefits from Hippowdon's ability Sand Stream, making it a very reliable spinner in this metagame. Starmie serves as a Water-type resist for Hippowdon, while also beating Skarmory which is something Excadrill struggles at, making it an almost equally appealing candidate in some situations.</p>

<p>name: Mixed Wall<br />
move 1: Earthquake<br />
move 2: Rock Slide<br />
move 3: Slack Off<br />
move 4: Whirlwind<br />
ability: Sand Stream<br />
item: Leftovers / Smooth Rock<br />
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD<br />
nature: Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)</p>

<p>Hippowdon's naturally high physical defense allows it to invest heavily in Special Defense, becoming a fearsome mixed wall. The differences in bulk can be seen in this set's slight struggle to counter Pokemon such as Talonflame, but newfound ease in handling mixed Aegislash. Due to this set's increased weakness to Talonflame and boosters such as Dragonite, Rock Slide is very valuable, working well with Whirlwind to prevent boosters from using Hippowdon as setup bait. The choice between Smooth Rock and Leftovers is dependent on Hippowdon's role in your team, as the loss of Leftovers recovery will hurt Hippowdon's potential to wall threats on both sides of the spectrum.</p>

<p>Bulky Fairy-type Pokemon with access to Wish serve as great partners for this Hippowdon set, especially if Smooth Rock is opted for over Leftovers. Florges is able to reliably check strong Water-type Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Greninja, due to its typing, while also being able to pass Wishes to Hippowdon relatively easily due to their synergy. Rapid Spin or Defog support is also greatly appreciated, making Scizor, Excadrill, and Starmie excellent partners. Scizor and Excadrill are both Steel-Type, easing the team's reliance on Hippowdon for handling strong physical Dragon-type Pokemon, while also removing hazards that may have been set up on Hippowdon. It is important to note that Smooth Rock is used almost exclusively for Excadrill, and as such is a necessity if Smooth Rock is used. Starmie is able to reliably spin away hazards, while being a reliable Water-resist and checking strong physical threats through coverage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hippowdon is hard walled by any form of Rotom-W, as it can easily switch in on Hippowdon and threaten it out with a STAB Hydro Pump. Greninja and Starmie can similarly threaten Hippowdon out, while at the same time setting hazards of their own. Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Gourgeist, and Breloom are able to safely switch in as well, forcing Hippowdon out with their STAB Grass-type attacks. For any Hippowdon lacking Rock Slide, Xatu serves as a perfect counter, using its ability Magic Bounce to reflect Whirlwind, while being immune to Earthquake. Similarly, Gliscor serves as an excellent counter to Hippowdon, as it can shrug off Rock Slide and is immune to Earthquake, while threatening Hippowdon with status.</p>

Last edited:

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
what else is there really to explain about hippowdon lol

only suggestion i could make would be maybe putting a mixed bulk spread somewhere, something like 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef Relaxed which allows it to retain great Physical bulk + solid special bulk.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cons said:
<li>Below average Special Defense</li>
Add that it is weak to common special attacking types.

Explain that Rock Slide on the physical set is to deal with Talonflame and remove any explanation of Ice Fang. Mention a few partners for both sets, such as special walls/tanks and Rapid Spin or Defog users. Oh and don't forget to mention that Excadril is a must if you are using Smooth Rock.

QC Approved 1/3

dragonuser

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
what else is there really to explain about hippowdon lol

only suggestion i could make would be maybe putting a mixed bulk spread somewhere, something like 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef Relaxed which allows it to retain great Physical bulk + solid special bulk.
I'll run some calcs and possibly add it to description as an alternative option. thanks

Add that it is weak to common special attacking types.

Explain that Rock Slide on the physical set is to deal with Talonflame and remove any explanation of Ice Fang. Mention a few partners for both sets, such as special walls/tanks and Rapid Spin or Defog users. Oh and don't forget to mention that Excadril is a must if you are using Smooth Rock.

QC Approved 1/3

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You mention that bulky Fairy-types are good partners for Hippowdon without any justification. It's not bulky Fairies that Hippowdon appreciates, but specially defensive Pokemon in general. So, make sure to explain why the teammates you mention work well with Hippowdon. Also, replace any mention of Florges with Sylveon, which is a better Wish user.

dragonuser

Since you're not using Ice Fang, I suggest adding Gliscor as a counter. Other than that, solid thread.

QC APPROVED 3/3

You mention that bulky Fairy-types are good partners for Hippowdon without any justification. It's not bulky Fairies that Hippowdon appreciates, but specially defensive Pokemon in general. So, make sure to explain why the teammates you mention work well with Hippowdon. Also, replace any mention of Florges with Sylveon, which is a better Wish user.
I mention how they are able to pass Wishes to Hippowdon, offer cleric support, and are able to check troublesome Special Attackers like Rotom-W and Greninja (which some blanket special walls may have trouble with). I will replace Florges with Sylveon and try to further explain their utility to Hippowdon.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows

I mention how they are able to pass Wishes to Hippowdon, offer cleric support, and are able to check troublesome Special Attackers like Rotom-W and Greninja (which some blanket special walls may have trouble with). I will replace Florges with Sylveon and try to further explain their utility to Hippowdon.
You didn't understand. I want you to explain why bulky Fairy-types have good synergy with Hippowdon or just remove this sentence completely. Why not other specially defensive Pokemon such as Celebi or Blissey, which both can provide cleric support too (and Wish support doesn't really matter for Hippowdon as it has its own reliable recovery)? So basically, explain why Fairy-types specifically otherwise just change it to ''specially bulky Pokemon have good synergy with Hippowdon'' and then go with your examples.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just as a point of clarification, if you want Wish AND Cleric support, you need Florges not Sylveon. Sylveon can't function as a cleric until December.

dragonuser

You didn't understand. I want you to explain why bulky Fairy-types have good synergy with Hippowdon or just remove this sentence completely. Why not other specially defensive Pokemon such as Celebi or Blissey, which both can provide cleric support too (and Wish support doesn't really matter for Hippowdon as it has its own reliable recovery)? So basically, explain why Fairy-types specifically otherwise just change it to ''specially bulky Pokemon have good synergy with Hippowdon'' and then go with your examples.
Just as a point of clarification, if you want Wish AND Cleric support, you need Florges not Sylveon. Sylveon can't function as a cleric until December.
Further expanded on role of Fairy-Typing specifically (mainly how it checks Greninja so well) and re-added Florges due to relatively similar bulk, but access to Heal Bell.

additions
removals
comments

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>
O Hippowdon is one of the few weather inducers that can perform well outside of its weather.(remove space)</li>
<li>
O It's one of the best physical walls in OU, walling threats like such as Talonflame, Dragonite, Salamence,(AC) and Swords Dance Aegislash.</li>
<li>
A It has access to Stealth Rock and recovery.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>
L Hippowdon has a low speed stat.</li>
<li>
B It has below average Special Defense and weaknesses to common Sspecial attackers like such as Rotom-W and Greninja.</li>
<li>
H It's entry hazard bait for a lot of Spikes users in the metagame.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers / Smooth Rock<br />
Trait: Sand Stream<br />
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8
SDef SpD<br />
Impish Nature (+Def, -
SAtk SpA)<br />
- Stealth Rock<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Slack Off
(remove space)<br />
- Whirlwind / Rock Slide</p>

<p>This set takes advantage of Hippowdon'(ascii)s naturally high physical bulk to make it one of the premier physical walls in the OU metagame. Hippowdon'(ascii)s utility comes in its ability to wall troublesome new threats like such as Swords Dance Aegislash and Talonflame, while still checking age old threats like such as Dragonite, Scizor, and Salamence. Stealth Rock is the crux of this set, being one of the most useful support moves in the metagame. (this is kinda unnecessary since it's addressed in the next sentence, and "crux of this set" is just bad :P) Due to Hippowdon'(ascii)s incredible bulk and access to recovery through Slack Off, it is given ample opportunities to lay Stealth Rock, making it a very reliable hazards entry hazard setter. The choice between Rock Slide and Whirlwind is largely dependent on the team supporting Hippowdon. Rock Slide, most importantly, allows Hippowdon to hit Talonflame Ssuper Eeffectively, while also damaging dangerous threats like such as Dragonite and Salamence. Smooth Rock can be used over Leftovers, boosting Ssandstorm to 8 eight turns, making Hippowdon a much more reliable partner for Excadrill. However, it is important to note that a lack of Leftovers recovery will seriously dampen Hippowdon's longevity.</p>

<p>Bulky special walls like such as Goodra and Florges serve as excellent partners for this Hippowdon set. They are able to comfortably come in on Hippowdon's weaknesses, and in Sylveon's case, is able to even pass Wishes or Heal Bell to Hippowdon. Sylveon does particularly well, taking neutral or resisted damage from many popular Special Attaking specially attacking types, most notably its ease in handling Greninja's and Rotom-W's STABs. It is also important to note how Hippowdon is setup bait for many Spikers in this metagame, making Rapid Spinners like spinners such as Starmie and Excadrill great partners as well. Excadrill also benefits from Hippowdon's ability Sand Stream, making it a very reliable spinner in this metagame. Starmie serves as a Water-type resist for Hippowdon, while also beating Skarmory which is something Excadrill struggles at, making it an almost equally appealing candidate in some situations.</p>

<p>Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers / Smooth Rock<br />
Trait: Sand Stream<br />
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252
SDef SpD<br />
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)<br />
- Stealth Rock<br />
- Earthquake<br />
- Slack Off
(remove space)<br />
- Rock Slide / Whirlwind</p>

<p>Hippowdon'(ascii)s naturally high physical defense allows it to invest heavily in Special Defense, becoming a fearsome mixed wall. The differences in bulk can be seen in this set'(ascii)s slight struggle to counter Pokemon like such as Talonflame, but newfound ease in handling mixed Aegislash. Stealth Rock is once again the staple of this set, allowing allows Hippowdon to better check many dangerous threats in the metagame. Due to this set's increased weakness to Talonflame and boosters like such as Dragonite, Rock Slide is recommended, but Whirlwind is still a viable option for preventing boosters from using Hippowdon as setup bait. Once again, t The (since sets change order / get changed, try to avoid using things such as "once again") choice between Smooth Rock and Leftovers is dependent on Hippowdon's role in your team, as the loss of Leftovers recovery will hurt Hippowdon's potential to wall threats on both sides of the spectrum.</p>

<p>Bulky Fairy-type Pokemon with access to Wish serve as great partners for this Hippowdon set, especially if Smooth Rock is opted for over Leftovers. Florges is able to reliably check strong Water-Ttype Pokemon like such as Rotom-W and Greninja, due to its typing, while also being able to pass Wishes to Hippowdon relatively easily due to their synergy. Rapid Spin or Defog support is also greatly appreciated, making Scizor, Excadrill, and Starmie excellent partners. Scizor and Excadrill are both Steel-Type, easing the team's reliance on Hippowdon for handling strong Pphysical Dragon-Ttype Pokemon, while also removing hazards that may have been set(space)up on Hippowdon. It is important to note that Smooth Rock is used almost exclusively for Excadrill, and as such is a necessity if Smooth Rock is used. Starmie is able to reliably spin away hazards, while being a reliable Water-R resist and checking strong Pphysical threats through coverage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hippowdon is hard walled by any form of Rotom-W, as it can easily switch in on Hippowdon and threaten it out with a STAB Hydro Pump. Greninja and Starmie can similarly threaten Hippowdon out, while at the same time setting hazards of their own or Rapid Spinning your Stealth Rocks. Grass-Ttypes like such as Ferrothorn, Gourgeist, and Breloom are able to safely switch in as well, forcing Hippowdon out with their STAB Grass-type attacks. For a Rock Slide'less Hippowdon any Hippowdon lacking Rock Slide, Xatu serves as a perfect counter, using its ability Magic Bounce to reflect Stealth Rock and Whirlwinds, while being immune to Earthquake. Similarly, Gliscor serves as an excellent counter to Hippowdon, as it can shrug off Rock Slide's and is immune to Earthquake, while threatening Hippowdon with status.</p>

gp 1/1

edit: updated pros / cons to complete sentences, as specified in s/g standards, so look over those again

Last edited:
I do not want to sound like an impudent brat (this being my first post and all), but I have to ask.

Isn't Stealth Rock illegal on Hippowdon right now?

The only way for Hippowdon to learn Stealth Rock (that I know of) is via tm in DP or via move tutor in BW2.

dragonuser

Thought I had seen a source saying Stealth Rock were allowed, will do more research and see if I can find it again.

edit: Ah, yea, that's where I remember seeing it. Thanks for that clarification!

edit2: proof that method works (Mamoswine and Hippowdon are in same egg group I believe):

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Stealth Rock is legal because Hippowdon can breed with Smeargle, which can have it (both are in the Field Group). I made the same mistake with Mamoswine.

I tried breeding with Smeargle (With bot Slack off and Stealth Rock), it did not get Stealth Rock through breeding.

My lvl 1 Hippopotas only had Tackle, Sand Attack and Slack Off

If that is the case I think toxic deserves a mention on hippo, he can take down poisons and grounds with STAB earthquake off of his impressive attack stat. Whirlwind my ass, toxic is much better if you ask me. Grass types that want to come in get toxiced or if they are part poison, earthquaked for a lot of damage. Whirlwind can phaze set up sweepers, but only stuff like Reuniclus is immune to hippowdon's reign of terror. And who uses reuniclus?? Just slap on a scizor and you're good to go. Scizor can also come in on most Ferrothorns, which is a thorn (lol) in Hippowdon's side. Defog scizor also shuts down skarmorys that hard wall hippowdon.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You might wanna put Earthquake first before Rock Slide, as it's Hippowdon's main attack and Rock Slide is used a little more situationally than it.

Aside from that, if you fix the analysis around that, than I can officially consider this completed~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)