--------------------------------
QC Approvals: [ShootingStarmie] | [Fuzznip] | [SOMALIA]
GP Checks: [piikachuu]
--------------------------------

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Reuniclus possesses tremendous bulk and Special Attack.</li>
<li>It's an excellent user of Trick Room.</li>
<li>Access to instant recovery and Calm Mind is very beneficial for Reuniclus.</li>
<li>Reuniclus has Magic Guard, which helps it stay alive and ignore Life Orb recoil.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Reuniclus has an awful Speed stat which can be troublesome when Trick Room isn't active.</li>
<li>It doesn't have any key resistances outside of Fighting.</li>
<li>Its typing doesn't offer much over other Psychic-types.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Calm Mind<br />
move 1: Calm Mind<br />
move 2: Recover<br />
move 3: Psychic / Psyshock<br />
move 4: Focus Blast<br />
ability: Ability: Magic Guard<br />
item: Leftovers<br />
evs: EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA<br />
nature: Bold</p>

<p>This Reuniclus set boasts the title of one of the best stallbreakers currently available in OU. Its excellent stat composition and access to both Calm Mind and Recover make it a force to be reckoned with, one of the most feared sets at the start of BW OU. This set oftentimes allows Reuniclus to stack Calm Mind boosts and plow through defensive teams as a whole, with the added bonus of being completely immune to indirect damage in the form of moves such as Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, and Stealth Rock. Likewise, Reuniclus can also set up on a myriad of Pokemon that would generally rely on status to prevent a sweep, such as Chansey and Ferrothorn.</p>

<p>Calm Mind allows Reuniclus to raise its uninvested Special Defense while simultaneously augmenting its power, while Recover enables it to instantly restore its health to either continue boosting its stats or dismantle the opposing team. While Psychic is generally the preferred option, Psyshock holds merit in enabling Reuniclus to win Calm Mind wars and hit specially bulky Pokemon on their more frail side. Focus Blast and Psychic have excellent coverage together, the former allows Reuniclus to hit the Dark-types that would otherwise wall it&mdash;especially Tyranitar.</p>

<p>The EV spread maximizes Reuniclus's physical bulk so that it can set up for longer without having to worry about its sweep being cut short, and the lack of Special Attack investment is accounted for by the sheer amount of boosts this set can gather. Leftovers is a key item which gives Reuniclus appreciated residual recovery; however, Life Orb may be used if the recovery isn't mandatory and more power is needed.</p>

<p>This set appreciates support from partners that can kill Reuniclus's main counters. Fire-type Pokemon, Such as Volcarona and Infernape, can be extremely handy in taking care of both Aegislash and Scizor, both of which would otherwise trouble Reuniclus. On the other hand, Fighting-types are also great for ensuring that Tyranitar is kept at bay. Yet again, Infernape can fill this role alongside other Pokemon such as Lucario. Landorus-T can also check both Scizor and Tyranitar while providing Stealth Rock support for Reuniclus.</p>

<p>name: Offensive Trick Room<br />
move 1: Trick Room<br />
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock<br />
move 3: Focus Blast<br />
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fire<br />
ability: Ability: Magic Guard<br />
item: Life Orb<br />
evs: EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA<br />
ivs: IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe<br />
nature: Quiet</p>

<p>This Reuniclus set is far more offensive and direct. Even though Trick Room is often neglected as more of a gimmick, Reuniclus has the specific qualities that allow it to run a Trick Room set effectively. Specifically, Reuniclus's abysmal Speed stat becomes a benefit when using Trick Room and its power is only amplified by its Life Orb-boosted special attacks with no recoil. Moreover, Magic Guard also forces opponents to resort to brute strength to tackle this set, meaning that it will often be faced with glass cannons which Reuniclus can easily dispose of, provided that Trick Room is active. </p>

<p>Psychic is generally the desired choice in this set due to its higher power and ability to hit physical walls for more damage. However, Psyshock does have the added benefit of making sure that Reuniclus isn't walled by Pokemon such as Chansey, Blissey, and specially bulky Fairy-types. Focus Blast is essential on this set as it not only has great power but it also forms great coverage with the rest of its moves. In particular, Dark-types that are immune to Reuniclus's STAB rarely enjoy taking a Life Orb Focus Blast to the face. Shadow Ball finishes off Reuniclus's coverage and hits most things that resist Psychic and Fighting, such as Slowbro, super effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an alternate option on the final slot that ensures Reuniclus can OHKO Scizor while simultaneously being a safer alternative to hit walls such as Ferrothorn and Forretress with.</p>

<p>The EVs may look somewhat odd at first due to the split in the bulk EVs, however this is simply to account for Reuniclus' higher HP stat. Full Special Attack investment is pivotal in guaranteeing maximum power as this set needs to hit hard to make an impact. A Life Orb is used over other options for an identical reason. A set containing Recover + 3 Attacks might seem like a great idea at first; although, losing out on the Trick Room is detrimental for Reuniclus.</p>

<p>Good choices for partners are those that appreciate Trick Room being up and those that can rid of Reuniclus's counters. A notable example is Conkeldurr, which loves Trick Room support and can flat-out OHKO Tyranitar, a large threat to Reuniclus. Ironically, Tyranitar can also be a great teammate for this set as it can trap opposing Psychic-types that give offensive Trick Room Reuniclus trouble with its great special bulk. Furthermore, Reuniclus isn't bothered by the Sand Stream introduced by Tyranitar because of Magic Guard and Tyranitar can destroy special walls at the same time. Similarly, Fighting-types not named Conkeldurr are also excellent partners for knocking out the pink blobs.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The checks and counters of Reuniclus are dependent largely on what set Reuniclus is running. If it chooses to forego Psyshock, special walls such as Blissey can be bothersome. On a similar note, physical force isn't always the best way to answer the Calm Mind set. Because of Magic Guard, Pokemon that can both wall and defeat Reuniclus are hard to come by. Because defensive approaches are generally futile, the best way to defeat Reuniclus is to check it offensively.</p>

<p>The most obvious offensive checks are Tyranitar and Scizor, both hitting Reuniclus with their faster, super effective STAB moves. Another example of a Pokemon that can give Reuniclus a headache is Aegislash. Nonetheless, each of these much watch out for Focus Blast, Hidden Power Fire, and Shadow Ball, respectively. Volcarona is another effective check to Reuniclus, provided that Stealth Rock is not up. It has the ability to set up a Quiver Dance and then outright KO Reuniclus, regardless of the latter's set. If all else fails, strong Choiced physical attackers can place a large amount of damage on Reuniclus and from there it just becomes a matter of finishing it off.</p>

Last edited:

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At the risk of missing something super obvious, or looking very foolish, exactly why is Signal Beam slashed first, and Shadow Ball utterly ignored in the OTR set analysis? Like, iv been trying to think and just don't get anything. Celebi isn't released yet so you couldn't be using Signal Beam for that, so I am utterly stumped. Someone enlighten me please.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had Signal Beam > Shadow Ball because I was still thinking of Celebi existing mostly. Apart from that Signal Beam hit everything that Shadow Ball wanted to hit for essentially the same damage and simultaneously doesn't miss out any important KOs (the 5 base power drop isn't noticeable). Signal Beam also possesses slightly better coverage than Shadow Ball with Psychic / Focus Blast according to this. I mainly did it because I forgot about Celebi so I can easily swap that back to Shadow Ball if the QC team would like.

I'd also like to hear people's thoughts on whether Psyshock or Psychic should be slashed first (and perhaps whether it should differ on the set.) Personally I prefer Psyshock so that I can hit things like Blissey harder. Another example was Tentacruel in BW2 and I'm sure there are many more.

Shadow ball does hit Aegislash super effectively, which could be pretty important considering how popular it is at the moment
As for psychic vs psyshock, i think it's always going to be extremely subjective and based on an individual team's needs. Generally i've preferred psychic just for the power increase as the blobs are not nearly as effective as they once were, and it still OHKOs tentacruel. But as i said, i think most of the time it comes down to personal preference

lab report ᐛ
Fair enough - you've convinced me. I was planning on changing the Signal Beam back to Shadow Ball after it was pointed out that Celebi isn't currently available. I'll make the following changes and then open it up to QC when I'm finished fiddling with the skeleton:

- Signal Beam replaced with Shadow Ball
- Give Psychic the primary slash but mention how it depends on the team's needs

Dunno of it's still viable in 6G but Specs can be added, I guess ?

<p>Reuniclus @ Choice Specs<br />
Ability: Magic Guard / Regenerator<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtt / 4 Def<br />
Modest Nature<br />
- Psyshock / Psychic<br />
- Focus Blast<br />
- Shadow Ball / Signal Beam<br />
- Trick / Shadow Ball / Signal Beam / HP Fire (/ HP Ice ?)</p>

The nerf to Steel types allows Reuniclus to hit Steel tpes without relying as much on Focus Blast, thanks to Shadow Ball almost-perfect coverage. Shadow Ball or / and Trick covers Psy types, HP Fire can be used to get (Mega) Zor on the switch, or things like Ferrothorn while HP Ice does the same for Dragons like (Mega) Garchomp, Salamence or Gliscor and Landorus.

lab report ᐛ
I don't really like Reuniclus using Specs because it already has a pursuit weakness and it seems a bit outclassed. Getting locked into a psychic / ghost / fighting move is asking you to be set up on and you get just 20% lower power with a Life Orb with the added ability to swap moves. Moreover, faster Pokemon like Latios would generally make better users of Choice Specs while Reuniclus' main niches fall under its superb bulk and ability to run an OTR set. I'll let the QC members weigh in their opinion on the set, though.

-With Mew, Latias, Latios, Suicune and co. not available currently and alot of Bulk Up sweepers popping up, I'd go with Psychic as the main slash for sure. However mention the merits of Psyshock as an easy way to dispose of Blissey and Fairy-types who generally have solid Sp.Def compared to their average if not poor Def stat.

-Mention that Aegislash shits on the CM variant as it has no way of touching Aegislash.

-Choice Specs should not get a set or even a mention in all honesty. Shadow Ball isn't STAB and has mediocre base power so even without Steel-types resisting it, it still isn't worth being locked into a move. I feel there alot more viable users out there and what makes Reuniclus stand out is its ability to use Life Orb without any harm to itself + Offensive TR or a bulky CM Tank, something no other Psychic types can boast that are currently available. Being locked into a Fighting-type move is also pretty bad considering the introduction of bulky asss Fairy Types.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For the cons section, I'd mention how it's best checks are extremely common. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Aegislash are dominant right now.

For your counters section, I'd add Ageislash, as it can easily tank Shadow Ball and KO back with +2 Shadow Ball.

Also, how does everyone feel about a Flame Orb + Trick set? It lures in Scizor, Aegislash, and Tyranitar really nicely, as well as not taking damage from Flame Orb obviously because of Magic Guard. I dunno if it deserves a set, but I think it might be worth noting in AC.

Good job so far man.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think Calm Mind > TR. With perma weather out of the way, Reuniclus doesn't have to worry about STAB rain boosted Hydro Pumps and what not, and some of the tiers biggest threats are physical attackers.

lab report ᐛ
I moved Calm Mind above the Trick Room set as per PK Gaming's suggestion and I added Aegislash to the C&C section. Regarding the Flame Orb + Trick set proposed by ShootingStarmie, I'm not entirely opposed but I feel as if after Reuniclus has tricked the item off it is practically a useless teammate. Not to mention that there are more reliable spreaders of burn status that aren't as prediction based. I could add it to the AC if requested, however. Is there anything else I need to do before I can get this checked?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Right, I don't see huge support behind Flame Orb Trick, and that's really the only thing that was stopping me from QC approving this. So...

QC APPROVED 1/3

This looks pretty good. I don't see anything strikingly bad or needs to be implemented. Just get rid of this in the C&C section, not sure why it's there:

"Psychic and Focus Blast have excellent coverage together."

QC 2/3

Get this written!

lab report ᐛ
Written up. I'm waiting on one more QC check before I put this into GP.

edit: I didn't write too much, did I?

Last edited:
On the Life Orb, you still have not mentioned bulky sp.def Fairy-types as another reason to run Psyshock. Make mention of it.

Once that is done (QC APPROVED 3/3)

lab report ᐛ
My apologies, Somalia. I forgot to mention that when writing it up. It is now implemented.

This analysis is ready for its GP check. I shall post in the queue thread as well to get one.

add
remove
comment

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Reuniclus possesses tremendous bulk and sSpecial aAttack.</li>
<li>It's an excellent user of Trick Room.</li>
<li>Access to instant recovery and Calm Mind is very beneficial for Reuniclus.</li>
<li>Reuniclus has Magic Guard, which helps it stay alive and ignore Life Orb recoil.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Reuniclus has an awful sSpeed stat which can be troublesome when Trick Room isn't active.</li>
<li>It doesn't have any key resistances outside of Fighting.</li>
<li>Its typing doesn't offer much over other Psychic-(hyphen)types.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Reuniclus @ Leftovers<br />
Ability: Magic Guard<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA<br />
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)<br />
- Calm Mind<br />
- Recover<br />
- Psychic / Psyshock<br />
- Focus Blast</p>

<p>This Reuniclus set boasts the title of one of the best stallbreakers currently available in OU. Its excellent stat composition and access to both Calm Mind and Recover make it a force to be reckoned with, it having been one of the most feared sets at the start of BW OU. This set oftentimes allows Reuniclus to stack Calm Mind boosts and plow through defensive teams as a whole, with the added bonus of being completely immune to indirect damage in the form of moves such as Toxic, Will-oO-Wisp, and Stealth Rock. Likewise, Reuniclus can also set up on a myriad of Pokemon that would generally rely on status to prevent a sweep, such as Chansey and Ferrothorn.</p>

<p>Calm Mind is the most important moves on the set, allowing Reuniclus to raise its uninvested defensive stat whilst augmenting its power. When Reuniclus begins to take hits, (i changed this because the first sentence offered nothing useful. in essence, it's the same as using "the crux of the set," which is a big no) allows Reuniclus to raise its uninvested Special Defense while simultaneously augmenting its power, while Recover enables it to instantly restore its health to either continue boosting its stats or dismantle the opposing team. While Psychic is generally the preferred option, Psyshock holds merit in enabling Reuniclus to win Calm Mind wars and hit specially bulky Pokemon on their more frail side. Focus Blast and Psychic have excellent coverage together, while the latter allows the latter allowing Reuniclus to hit the Dark-types that would otherwise wall it—especially Tyranitar.</p>

<p>The EV spread maximizes Reuniclus's (ascii, and singular possessive) physical bulk so that it can set up for longer without having to worry about its sweep being cut short,(AC) and the lack of sSpecial aAttack investment is accounted for by the sheer amount of boosts this set can gather. Leftovers is a key item which gives Reuniclus appreciated residual recovery; however, Life Orb may be used if the recovery isn't mandatory and more power is needed.</p>

<p>This set appreciates support from partners that can kill Reuniclus's main counters. Fire-type Pokemon,(AC) such as Volcarona and Infernape,(AC) can be extremely handy in taking care of both Aegislash and Scizor,(AC) both of which would otherwise trouble Reuniclus. For example, Volcarona or Infernape can roast both with their super-effective STAB moves. (again, this doesnt provide much useful information) On the other hand, Fighting-types are also great for ensuring that Tyranitar is kept at bay. Yet again, Infernape can fill this role alongside other Pokemon such as Lucario. Landorus-Therian (Landorus-T) can also check both Scizor and Tyranitar while providing Stealth Rock support for Reuniclus.</p>

<p>Reuniclus @ Life Orb<br />
Ability: Magic Guard<br />
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA<br />
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe<br />
Quiet Nature (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Trick Room(space)<br />
- Psychic / Psyshock<br />
- Focus Blast<br />
- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fire</p>

<p>While the Calm Mind set focuses more on slowly building up to a sweep, t This Reuniclus set is far more offensive and direct. (since sets change, you don't want to mention other specific sets. while i understand that it's unlikely that the cm set will ever be removed, it's a good practice) Even though Trick Room is often neglected as more of a gimmick, Reuniclus has the specific qualities that allow it to run a Trick Room set effectively. Specifically, Reuniclus's abysmal sSpeed stat becomes a benefit when using Trick Room and its power is only amplified by its Life Orb-(hyphen)boosted special attacks with no recoil. Moreover, Magic Guard also forces opponents to resort to brute strength to tackle this set, meaning that it will often be faced with glass cannons which Reuniclus can easily dispose of, provided that Trick Room is active. </p>

<p>Psychic is generally the desired choice in this set due to its higher power and ability to hit physical walls for more damage. However, Psyshock does have the added benefit of making sure that Reuniclus isn't walled by Pokemon such as Chansey, Blissey,(AC) and specially bulky Fairies Fairy-types. Focus Blast is essential on this set as,(RC) it not only does it have has great power,(RC) it but also forms great coverage with the rest of its moves. In particular, Dark-types that are immune to Reuniclus's STAB rarely enjoy taking a Life Orb-boosted Focus Blast to the face. Shadow Ball finishes off Reuniclus's coverage and hits most things that resist Psychic and Dark, such as Slowbro, super-(hyphen)effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an alternate option on the final slot that ensures Reuniclus can OHKO Scizor while simultaneously being a safer alternative to hit walls such as Ferrothorn and Forretress with.</p>

<p>The EVs may look somewhat odd at first due to the split in the bulk EVs, however this is simply to account for Reuniclus's higher HP stat. Full Special Attack investment is pivotal in guaranteeing maximum power as this set needs to hit hard to make an impact. A Life Orb is used over other options for an identical reason. A set containing Recover + 3 and three Aattacks might seem like a great idea at first;,(AC) although,(RC) losing out on the coverage is detrimental for Reuniclus. (what coverage are you missing? the given set only has three attacks as well)</p>

<p>Good choices for partners are those that appreciate Trick Room being up and those that can rid of Reuniclus's counters. A notable example is Conkeldurr,(AC) which loves Trick Room support and can flat-out OHKO Tyranitar, a large threat to Reuniclus. Ironically, Tyranitar can also be a great teammate for this set as it can trap opposing Psychic-types that give OTR offensive Trick Room Reuniclus trouble with its great special bulk. Furthermore, Reuniclus isn't bothered by the Sand Stream introduced by Tyranitar because of Magic Guard and Tyranitar can destroy special walls at the same time. Similarly, Fighting-types not named Conkeldurr are also excellent partners for knocking out the pink blobs.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The checks and counters of Reuniclus are dependent largely on what set Reuniclus is running. If it chooses to forego Psyshock, special walls such as Blissey can be bothersome. On a similar note, physical force isn't always the best way to answer the Calm Mind set. Because of Magic Guard, Pokemon that can both wall and defeat Reuniclus are hard to come by. Because defensive approaches are generally futile, the best way to defeat Reuniclus is to check it offensively.</p>

<p>The most obvious offensive checks are Tyranitar and Scizor, both hitting Reuniclus with their faster, super-(hyphen)effective STAB moves. Another example of a Pokemon that can give Reuniclus a headache is Aegislash. Nonetheless, each of these much watch out for Focus Blast, Hidden Power Fire,(AC) and Shadow Ball, respectively. Volcarona is another effective check to Reuniclus, provided that Stealth Rock is not up. It has the ability to set up a Quiver Dance and then outright KO Reuniclus, regardless of the latter's set. If all else fails, strong Choiced physical attackers can place a large amount of damage on Reuniclus and from there it just becomes a matter of finishing it off.</p>

gp 1/1

Last edited:

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think Life Orb deserves a slash with Leftovers on the Bulky CM set, for the same reasons it's like that right now. It's a great option, since it's pretty much a free 1.3X boost in power due to Reuniclus' immunity to residual damage.

lab report ᐛ
Implemented the GP check. I also changed "Quiet Nature (+Spe, -Atk)" to +SpA, -Spe.

I don't personally agree with Life Orb getting a slash on the Calm Mind set. After all, it is a bulky booster and given that Reuniclus will often be in for a long time I'd prefer the survivability to grab more boosts than the extra power you can get from using Calm Mind. I think if it deserved a main slash QC would've mentioned so before I wrote it up. Unless there are any more issues, then I believe this is ready to be uploaded.

Just a couple of minor things i noticed:

<p>Calm Mind allows Reuniclus to raise its uninvested Special Defense while simultaneously augmenting its power, while Recover enables it to instantly restore its health to either continue boosting its stats or dismantle the opposing team. While Psychic is generally the preferred option, Psyshock holds merit in enabling Reuniclus to win Calm Mind wars and hit specially bulky Pokemon on their more frail side. Focus Blast and Psychic have excellent coverage together, the latter allows Reuniclus to hit the Dark-types that would otherwise wall it—especially Tyranitar.</p>
This should be former instead of latter

<p>Psychic is generally the desired choice in this set due to its higher power and ability to hit physical walls for more damage. However, Psyshock does have the added benefit of making sure that Reuniclus isn't walled by Pokemon such as Chansey, Blissey, and specially bulky Fairy-types. Focus Blast is essential on this set as it not only has great power but it also forms great coverage with the rest of its moves. In particular, Dark-types that are immune to Reuniclus's STAB rarely enjoy taking a Life Orb Focus Blast to the face. Shadow Ball finishes off Reuniclus's coverage and hits most things that resist Psychic and Dark, such as Slowbro, super effectively. Hidden Power Fire is an alternate option on the final slot that ensures Reuniclus can OHKO Scizor while simultaneously being a safer alternative to hit walls such as Ferrothorn and Forretress with.</p>
Dark should be Fighting

As i said, these are just small things, it is very well written otherwise. Nice work!

Sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, but why exactly are the EVs 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA on the OTR set?

Does this allow it to survive some certain attacks, or is this just for optimized bulk somehow?

lab report ᐛ
Sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, but why exactly are the EVs 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA on the OTR set?

Does this allow it to survive some certain attacks, or is this just for optimized bulk somehow?
"The EVs may look somewhat odd at first due to the split in the bulk EVs, however this is simply to account for Reuniclus' higher HP stat"

When the HP stat largely outweighs the defensive stat it's more efficient to place the EVs in the defense stat. Wobbuffet is an another example of a Pokemon that does this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)