[COMPLETED] Rotom-W

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(only bringing this up from experience on Wi-Fi so far)

With the sand nerf (and a reluctance to run Smooth Rock on sand inducers), a lot of people are running Mold Breaker spinner Excadrill to troll levitators including Rotom-W, so it's no longer a safe switch really.

Vaporeon works well with assault vest Rotom-W (despite double grass weakness)

as it brings scald and wish to the field which will really keep rotom alive for a long time.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I personally don't think it's worth it to invest 120 EVs into Rotom's SAtk just for Gliscor. Maxing out Rotom's bulk might be more beneficial, but hey that's just me.
Yeah you're probably right, but there's no use for 28 SpAtk EVs, so that's what I mean for editing. 120 EVs is way too much, as Rotom-W really needs to invest in it's bulk in order to take hits. I'll talk to QC about this.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I also want to chime in and state the second set should have 252 HP / 252 Def Bold. Being a solid check to a lot of physical threats like Azumarill and Talonflame really justify the use of it while balancing defenses nicely.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Reflect
- Light Screen

I don't understand why this hasn't been listed as an option (has nobody else thought of it?!). Honestly, it's the MVP on my (very successful) offense team. Rotom can switch in to so many Pokemon, yet induces so many switches, that you often get a free screen (which one depends on your prediction). Then you can Volt Switch to a favourable match up with at least one screen up. Being just fast enough is great, because you can Light Screen first against e.g. Blastoise & Goodra, and Reflect first against e.g. Scizor & Tyranitar. For all of these reasons, Rotom is actually the quintessential double screener, yet I've seen literally nobody else use this moveset. Rotom also loves Leftovers too much for any other item to be considered. A 0 attack IV trolls Klefki all day unless it has Toxic.

Edit: 252 HP EVs is sub-optimal, because 304 HP is divisible by both 16 and 8, so it's a Hail/Sandstream/Burn/Poison/Leech Seed/Stealth Rock threshold. It's also a Leftovers threshold, but that doesn't nearly compensate for the aforementioned negatives. Rotom should certainly not run 252 EVs without Leftovers.

<p>Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry<br />
Ability: Levitate<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA<br />

Last edited:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Reflect
- Light Screen

I don't understand why this hasn't been listed as an option (has nobody else thought of it?!). Honestly, it's the MVP on my (very successful) offense team. Rotom can switch in to so many Pokemon, yet induces so many switches, that you often get a free screen (which one depends on your prediction). Then you can Volt Switch to a favourable match up with at least one screen up. Being just fast enough is great, because you can Light Screen first against e.g. Blastoise & Goodra, and Reflect first against e.g. Scizor & Tyranitar. For all of these reasons, Rotom is actually the quintessential double screener, yet I've seen literally nobody else use this moveset. Rotom also loves Leftovers too much for any other item to be considered. A 0 attack IV trolls Klefki all day unless it has Toxic.

Edit: 252 HP EVs is sub-optimal, because 304 HP is divisible by both 16 and 8, so it's a Hail/Sandstream/Burn/Poison/Leech Seed/Stealth Rock threshold. It's also a Leftovers threshold, but that doesn't nearly compensate for the aforementioned negatives. Rotom should certainly not run 252 EVs without Leftovers.
Isn't WoW sort of like Reflect but with a better trade-off since you shouldn't be worrying about a Fire-Type switch in? I like the Light Screen idea, tho.

Isn't WoW sort of like Reflect but with a better trade-off since you shouldn't be worrying about a Fire-Type switch in? I like the Light Screen idea, tho.
In some ways, yes, but Will-O' cripples physical attackers [generally] for the rest of the match, and the extra damage at the end of each turn is cool. Burns don't wear off after 5 turns, and don't require an item to make them extend for longer.

PS: Blaziken's still mentioned in this analysis; more specifically, the first and second sets.

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Burn is isolated to that one Pokemon and doesn't affect Fire. Your opponent may never allow you to burn their physical Pokemon. I routinely set up Reflect and Volt Switch out. It's common for something else to be facing a physical attacker two turns later; that's where Reflect is useful. I also have Will-O-Wisp elsewhere on my team, and the combined effect of burn + Reflect is great.

Might want to add Dry Skin Heliolisk as a potential check. Rotom W doesn't have many ways to threaten it, it can switch in safely on Hydro Pump, doesn't care much for being burned, and can whittle Rotom down with Dark Pulse or Grass Knot.

Could Thunderbolt be slashed in with the bold set?
Volt Switch provides much more utility due to allowing you to use it as your opponent switches to keep momentum. Thunderbolt is a nice idea if it nets you certain kills, but you'd be better off with it on the offensive sets.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dual Screen Rotom-W was always good. Slash Light Clay as an item option too since it prolongs the screens for a longer time (great for hyper offensive teams and even bulkier teams).

Also why does the Assault Vest set still have the Modest spread? @_@;

Dual Screen Rotom-W was always good. Slash Light Clay as an item option too since it prolongs the screens for a longer time (great for hyper offensive teams and even bulkier teams).

Also why does the Assault Vest set still have the Modest spread? @_@;
What spread is the Modest one meant to be? I actually took the time to bread that set with HP Ice and i can say it doesn't work very well haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)