[COMPLETED] Smeargle

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Smeargle has access to every move.</li>
<li>It is reasonably fast, which makes it able to taunt entry hazard leads.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Smeargle is pretty useless offensively.</li>
<li>Not bulky enough to make use of the defensive moves it has been given.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Entry Hazards Lead<br />
move 1: Stealth Rock<br />
move 2: Sticky Web / Spikes<br />
move 3: Spore<br />
move 4: Taunt / Memento / Endeavor<br />
ability: Own Tempo<br />
item: Focus Sash<br />
evs: 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SpD / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)</p>

<p>Knowing every move in the game, Smeargle is given a plethora of options for its moveset. This set is based around stacking entry hazards before Smeargle is taken down by the opponent. Unlike other entry hazard leads, Smeargle is given both status inducing moves and Taunt. This lets Smeargle stop slower opposing hazard leads and also induce sleep on an opponent's Pokemon, essentially giving Smeargle an extra free turn to lay entry hazards. Sticky Web and Stealth Rock gain the best synergy together, but can be replaced by Spikes depending on the team Smeargle is supporting. Memento serves as a way to stop an opposing spinner from making contact, while also lowering their offensive stats to allow a teammate to set up the next turn. Focus Sash is used to maximize the amount of turns Smeargle is alive for, thus maximizing the amount of entry hazards it is able to set. Endeavor can also be used in the last slot, making use of Smeargle's Focus Sash, however it is important to note that this can leave Smeargle helpless against many common setup sweepers. If used, it is recommended to make Smeargle level one to minimize Smeargle's health and maximize damage to the opponent.</p>

<p>Smeargle really appreciates Ghost-type Pokemon as teammates, as they are able to help preserve entry hazards through blocking Rapid Spin. Gengar and Aegislash do particularly well, as they are also able to utilize the entry hazards to weaken their individual walls. Smeargle also benefits offensive teams the most, meaning powerful threats such as Lucario, Dragonite, and Salamence greatly appreciate Smeargle's support and serve as excellent teammates.</p>

<p>name: Smashpass<br />
move 1: Spore<br />
move 2: Shell Smash<br />
move 3: Baton Pass<br />
move 4: Taunt / Ingrain<br />
ability: Own Tempo<br />
item: Focus Sash / White Herb<br />
evs: 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SpD / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)</p>

<p>This set makes use of one of the best boosting moves in the game, Shell Smash. The EVs grant Smeargle the maximum amount of bulk it can get, while still outspeeding relevant hazard leads and giving Smeargle the fastest Spore it can get. Spore gives Smeargle the free turn it needs to set up, with Focus Sash serving as a backup in case Smeargle needs to take a hit. White Herb can also be used to offset the stat drops of Shell Smash, but Smeargle still risks being OHKOed by many of the offensive Pokemon in the metagame. Ingrain has use in preventing Smeargle and any recipients from being phazed out, however it is important to note that Taunt can do this for a limited amount of time while also stopping the opponent from setting entry hazards.</p>

<p>Sweepers similar to Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Heracross, and Mega Lucario all serve as excellent recipients. The key is the wide range of coverage each has, making sure that no one Pokemon counters the set. A Power Herb Geomancy set is recommended on a team with more specially based sweepers, as it lacks the defense drops of Shell Smash while also bolstering the Special Defense of said sweepers. A dual screens user is also appreciated, allowing the incoming Pokemon to better tank attacks, while also possibly aiding Smeargle in its setup.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any form of Magic Bounce or Defog user nearly hard counters Smeargle. While Rapid Spin can be blocked with appropriate support, these are unable to be blocked and stop Smeargle completely. Faster leads with access to Taunt, such as Aerodactyl, are also good answers to Smeargle.</p>

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Are we currently using Moody Clause still in Generation 6? If not, then I definitely believe a Moody set needs to be added. If it is being carried over, however, disregard this post.

dragonuser

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
It is fairly safe to assume that Moody will still be banned, as the principle reasons it was originally banned have not changed. However, I will talk to a member of the OU Council when I get a chance to confirm.

[13:00] <+dragonuser> aldaron its safe to assume moody ban will still be in place right
[13:00] <+dragonuser> (im writing smeargle's preview)
[13:00] <~aldaron> yep

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Eh, I think Smeargle really needs Focus sash because of how frail it is. However, if White Herb is an option on the Shell Smash set, I can see Power Herb possibly getting a mention in AC.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If White Herb is slashed on the main set then you should definitely slash Geomancy after Shell Smash.

dragonuser

I mentioned Geomancy + Power Herb in AC for a team with more specially based sweepers. However, if QC thinks that it would be fine to slash in Geomancy and Power Herb into the main set I have no issues with it.

Out of curiosity, has any consideration been given to Whirlwind > Spikes in the last moveslot of the first set? Setting up three different formes of hazards seems a little optimistic, especially considering how exploitable Smeargle can become post-Spore with such a moveset, and Whirlwind offers a method of both preventing opposing set-up and directly capitalizing on the hazards set. Plus, if need be, Smeargle can always run Sticky Web+Spikes in the first two slots, it's not like there isn't an abundance of consistent SR setters that can set it up afterwords for the team, it just requires a slightly different team structure. Just an idea, take of it what you will '~'

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
col49 is absolutely right. Running three kinds of hazards is pointless as not only you will never manage to set up all three kinds of them them but you are also the biggest setup bait ever after using Spore. Imo, the last slot should be Whirlwind / Taunt / Memento, because Substitute users love to lead against Smeargle. Anyway, i am leaving the slash order of the last slot up to dragonuser's judgment, but the removal of Spikes from the last slot is not negotiable.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check
Add
Remove
Comments

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Access Smeargle has access to every move.</li>
<li>Reasonably It is reasonably fast, which makes it (I'm pretty sure that this is what you mean, if not then reword please) able to taunt Custap leads.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Pretty Smeargle is pretty useless offensively.</li>
<li>Not bulky enough to make use of the defensive moves it has been given.</li>
</ul> Remember to use full sentences.

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Smeargle @ Focus Sash<br />
Ability: Own Tempo<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd Spe<br />
Timid Nature (+Spd +Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Stealth Rock<br />
- Sticky Web / Spikes<br />
- Spore<br />
- Taunt / Whirlwind / Memento</p>

<p>Knowing every move in the game, Smeargle is given a plethora of options for its moveset. The basis of this This set,(RC) is based around stacking entry hazards before Smeargle is taken down by the opponent. Unlike other entry hazard leads, Smeargle is given both status inducing moves and Taunt. This lets Smeargle stop slower opposing slower hazard leads,(RC) while and also inducing induce sleep on an opponent's Pokemon, essentially giving Smeargle an extra free turn to lay entry hazards. Sticky Web and Stealth Rock gain the best synergy together, but can be replaced by Spikes depending on the team Smeargle is supporting Smeargle. Memento serves as a way to stop an opposing spinner from making contact, while also lowering their offensive stats to allow a teammate to setup set up the next turn. The item Focus Sash is used to maximize the amount of turns Smeargle is alive for, thus maximizing the amount of entry hazards it is able to set.</p>

<p>Smeargle really appreciates Ghost-type Pokemon as teammates, as they are able to help preserve entry hazards through blocking Rapid Spin. Gengar and Aegislash do particularily particularly well, as they are also able to abuse utilize (Never use "abuse" is an analysis; we don't abuse anything in Pokemon, we utilize them) the entry hazards to weaken their individual walls. Smeargle also benefits offensive teams the most, meaning powerful threats such as Lucario, Dragonite, and Salamence greatly appreciate Smeargle's support and serve as excellent teammates.</p>

<p>Smeargle @ Focus Sash / White Herb<br />
Ability: Own Tempo<br />
EVs: 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SpD / 252 Spd Spe<br />
Timid Nature (+Spd +Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Spore<br />
- Shell Smash<br />
- Baton Pass<br />
- Taunt / Ingrain<br /></p>

<p>This set makes use of one of the best boosting moves in the game, Shell Smash. The EVs grant Smeargle the maximum amount of bulk it can get, while still outspeeding relevant hazard leads and giving Smeargle the fastest Spore it can get. Spore gives Smeargle the free turn it needs to setup set up, with Focus Sash serving as a backup incase in case Smeargle needs to take a hit. White Herb can also be used to offset the stat drops of Shell Smash, but Smeargle still risks being one shot OHKOed by many of the offensive Pokemon in the metagame. Ingrain has use in preventing Smeargle and any recipients from being phazed out, however it is important to note that Taunt can do this for a limited amount of time while also stopping the opponent from setting entry hazards.</p>

<p>Sweepers similar to Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Heracross, and Mega Lucario all serve as excellent recipients. The key is the wide range of coverage each has, making sure that no one Pokemon counters the set. A Power Herb Geomancy set is recommended on a team with more specially based sweepers, as it lacks the defense drops of Shell Smash while also bolstering the special defense Special Defense of said sweepers. A dual screens user is also appreciated, allowing the incoming Pokemon to better tank attacks, while also possibly aiding Smeargle in its setup.</p> Remember, "setup" is the noun while "set up" is the verb.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any form of Magic Bounce or Defog user nearly hard counters Smeargle. While Rapid Spin can be blocked with appropriate support, these are unable to be blocked and stop Smeargle completely. Faster leads with access to Taunt, such as Aerodactyl, are also good answers to Smeargle.</p>

Good job dragonuser, although I do recommend taking a look through Smogon's Spelling and Grammar Standards.

GP Approved 1/1

Last edited:

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if this isn't allowed here but while Smeargle isn't designed to take hits it shouldn't hurt to make it a little bit bulkier without saccing speed. The same EV spread used for the second set should be used for the first one as well, it's just more optimal as with that EV spread it's more bulkier on both sides of the septum. Also while this metagame is very raw I've ran into a couple of Smeargle leads like this so I believe Magic Cost should be slashed into the first set, it helps deal with other Smeargle leads while not worrying aout speed ties. (And helps against other faster Taunt users trying to shut down Smeargle.) While I would still put Taunt as the primary option, running Magic Coat is still viable.

dragonuser

GP check implemented, thanks.

Added Afro's EV spread to the first set since it is simply more efficient. This is pretty much ready for uploading.

dragonuser

Personally I didn't see any merit of parting shot due to the fact that it doesn't block rapid spin like memento (as you have to switch in to someone), and due to Smeargle's nature as a hazard lead its not like it will really come back in very often.

Would it be a good idea to use a Baton Pass set w/ Geomancy + Power Herb? I mean, if you're going to pass it to a Special Attacker, why not boost your Sp. Def as well?

Last edited:
Custap Berry isn't obtainable atm in gen 6, so I'm not sure if taunting Custap leads should be mentioned or not

dragonuser

Custap Berry isn't obtainable atm in gen 6, so I'm not sure if taunting Custap leads should be mentioned or not
changed "custap leads" to "entry hazard leads"

Thanks

Would it be a good idea to use a Baton Pass set w/ Geomancy + White Herb? I mean, if you're going to pass it to a Special Attacker, why not boost your Sp. Def as well?
A Power Herb + Geomancy set is already mentioned in AC, not sure what White Herb would do instead of Power Herb.

Im actually using the first set with sticky web, but that set can be walled by many grass type, breloom can set up on him without taunt or kill it with bullet seed , imo i'd suggest to swap spore with Dark void with that move u can lure grass type , then Dark void has 80% accuracy it's not an issue i guess, oh and destiny bound/magic coat are great in last slot too.

Dark void isn't available outside of pokebank because Darkrai doesn't exist yet. I also tried using it on the pokebank ladder and switched back to spore immediately after a missed dark void on a DD nite cost me a game. Breloom isn't that common and the only other common grass types can't prevent you from getting hazards up so I don't think it's generally worth the risk.

I feel as if Smeargle almost begs for magic coat as an option over taunt. Once your opponent sees a smeargle, they are going to automatically lead with an Anti- lead (Sash Greninja w/Taunt and Defog Crobat)/magic bouncer. There is nothing Smeargle can do about Magic Bouncers, however most Taunters will be a little salty when you bounce their taunt back and could still put something to sleep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)