ORAS OU Completely new

Background: First time creating a team for any tier, I just recently started playing Pokemon due to Pokemon Go. I played Pokemon up until 2009 and I gave away my DS, anyway I created this team from scratch and just sort of picked whatever that caught my eye. As you can see it's more of a fast, offensive team, ex. Tyranitar and Excadrill's sand rush, then you have Serperior and Contrary, after that choice Keldeo, and finally priority Talonflame as well as sweeper Pinsir.

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up

Starting out with Talonflame, I chose this pokemon, because it looks great and whenever I'm in a random battle or a OU battle with a different team, majority of the time I see this pokemon and it just caught my attention. With Gale Wings its flying moves become priority moves even with a 2x DD Gyrados and since it's a bulky bird it can definitely take some hits and although it is definitely hard to set up, it's very handy when I need to will-o-wisp a physical sweeper or if I need to kill a low hp pokemon. But as of recent this pokemon hasn't been doing much, and initially I made this team around Talonflame and guess Excadrill, Tyranitar duo stole its spotlight.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Now Excadrill, I honestly had no idea how useful this pokemon would be until I won a few battles with him in the center after starting out with Smooth Rock Tyranitar and switching out makes it the fastest on the field 100% of the time. I see most people use Mold Breaker and I can see why, to counter pokemon like Rotom-Wash, which is definitely a huge threat to this team as it can will-o-wisp and volt switch out. But this pokemon definitely comes in handy as it hits fast and it hits hard with EQ and its rapid spin rids of field hazards while also removing walls like Ferrothorn.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Close Combat

This pokemon is definitely still in the works, because I'm constantly switching between this one and M-Heracross, while heracross I used was a bulky heracross and with its ability skill link it definitely gets a huge amount of damage off if it doesn't kill it and leaves priority Talonflame to finish the rest with Acrobatics. Now recently using this pokemon made me lean more towards it, even without setting up with a swords dance it can still kill a lot of pokemon with return and quick attack. It's also fast for pokemon like Charizard X and Y.

Serperior @ Wide Lens
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is also a standard smogon set, but instead of using I forgot, I think it was leftovers or something. Anyway, I'm using Wide Lens, so it virtually reduces the chance of Leaf Storm missing except for that 1%, but so far it hasn't missed a single one so it's safe to say it works. Anyway this pokemon is at times the star of the battle, because of its HA and no stats can be lowered only raised and it's incredibly fast and once set up with two leaf storms on Clefable or Rotom it has the capability of taking down any pokemon, even legendaries with Dragon Pulse and Leaf Storm, and my favorite HP Fire.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

I love this pokemon and it was the first pokemon I caught after beating the E4 in FireRed, LeafGreen and would train it. I always chose this pokemon every time I reset the game and made another run. Anyway this is 90% of the time the opener and it's easy to set up with this pokemon, since it's a bulky Tyranitar and even with a little investment on SpA it has the ability to take down bulky Landorus with 2HKO. And with Tyranitar it completes the Sand Excadrill duo and with smooth rock it keeps the sandstorm on longer. But the problem with smooth rock sandstorm is that it can definitely cripple my team especially when the other team sets up stealth rocks and it keeps Excadrill from causing damage.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump

This pokemon is definitely an outlier, at least it was when I started the team but it soon came to be a big powerhouse of this team due to its Choice Specs and speed. Even with scald it's able to take down field hazards pokemon such as Skarmory, Excadrill, Tyranitar, etc. with just one hit and even Rotom-Wash with a secret sword. One con about this pokemon is it's scarfed and it's definitely a risk to bring it in if predicted wrong, but even still it's able to do a decent amount of damage and have either Talonflame or Excadrill finish the job.

I haven't peaked anything yet, but I'm in the 1400s, which isn't that big of an accomplishment, but for me it's pretty big since I'm getting used to these new types, and evolutions, etc.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-417910575 - Even though I lost I chose this battle, because it was the best in my opinion for this team (minus Heracross, still deciding between him and Pinsir) since I made a few mistakes in this battle and it still got me to take out 4 of his, mind you he went onto win the tournament and turns out I was the only one who was able to kill at least 4 of his pokemon in the tournament. That's how good this team is even when it's made by a below average battler.

Hey thecykz, bird spam + Sand Rush Excadrill is a great core for overwhelming shared checks, but the main issue I'm seeing with your team is your weakness to Azumarill and opposing Keldeo. Both of your water resists aren't the greatest switch-ins to Water types in general, and your team also doesn't have a solid switch-in to Landorus-T or defensive Garchomp although half of it is checked by them. My rate will focus on fixing these issues while also trying to make small improvements to your offensive core.

First, if you're running Smooth Rock Tyranitar you should definitely run Swords Dance > Rapid Spin on Excadrill to allow it to make the best use of Sand turns possible. Having Swords Dance on Excadrill helps it break through stuff like defensive Landorus-T, Rocky Helmet Garchomp, Hippowdon, Slowbro, etc. to make M-Pinsir and Talonflame have an easier time cleaning once they get to set up. I also think you should run offensive Swords Dance Talonflame > Bulk Up Talonflame since Flare Blitz is a large part of what makes M-Pinsir + Talonflame such a great core. Talonflame outspeeds certain electric types like Thundurus, Raikou, and Choice Scarf Magnezone and can OHKO them with Flare Blitz after a Swords Dance which makes M-Pinsir have a higher chance of sweeping (if Talonflame itself doesn't) since its checks will have been eliminated. You can also consider Liechi Berry + Natural Gift on Talonflame so you can also hit M-Diancie, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and Rotom-W which all check M-Pinsir as well. Natural Gift + Liechi Berry gives Talonflame a one time use Base 100 Grass type move which can be helpful for breaking certain bulky water and grass types like Quagsire, Hippowdon, and Slowbro. It's situational but it can help your team a lot in stallbreaking since the usual checks to Talonflame on stall are stuff like Quagsire and M-Slowbro.

Next, for new hazard removal after dropping Rapid Spin on Excadrill, I think you should run Latios > Serperior. Latios can serve as a Keldeo check, a switch-in to Rotom-W, and with Surf it can also hit M-Diancie, Heatran, and Tyranitar to support Talonflame. If you chose to run Natural Gift Talonflame, I'd suggest you run Latias instead of Latios so you can use Healing Wish to bring it back to full since it can't carry Roost. I also think you should run Rotom-W > Keldeo since it still serves as a check to Weavile, but also checks bulky Ground types and Azumarill that your team couldn't pivot into very reliably.
It also provides you with a check to Talonflame that carry Will-O-Wisp, and opposing Sand Rush Excadrill that may try to take advantage of the extra turns of Sand from your Smooth Rock.

Lastly, I think you should run Jolly Nature + Life Orb on Excadrill so it can hit harder, have decent speed outside of the Sand, and also be able to speed tie at worst with opposing Excadrill. You should also run a defensive spread on Tyranitar to grant it more longevity so you can set up the sand as much as possible. The attack investment on support Tyranitar isn't needed much since the most it does it guarantee an OHKO on Latias with Pursuit as it switches, but defensive Tyranitar walls it hard enough as it is to not make that a huge factor.

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hope I was able to help!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)