Compulsory Logs for new sets?

I've seen quite a few sets posted in Quality Control where the effectiveness isn't convincing. This slows down the Writeup process as the gimmicks are mixed with the things that need more attention. Compulsory Logs would solve this since it forces players to test their sets before posting it and they are easy to obtain, as well as generally being good evidence for both writers and QC staff; it may cause those proposing the set to question it themselves and improve it/scrap it beforehand, while QC staff will find it easier to point out flaws in the set.

Of course, this may lead to posters disregarding logs due to their own 'inexperience' and asking that someone from QC tests it, but do we want all the suggestions from players who can't make the set work anyway? Also, logs are subjective as to how you interpret 'success', and they may be handpicked from a large selection or fixed, to try and sell the set, so testing may still be necessary.

I think logs should at least be strongly recommended in the rules, since few gimmick sets provide logs and most of the successful suggestions have them.

Just throwing this out for some discussion.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The policy used to be "you must provide logs if asked". This prevents people from jumping through hoops with new and dominant sets like Scarftar, yet allows for people to question the effectiveness of a set.

Personally I think it is a lot easier to just go "hey that looks like crap". Has worked for ages.

If logs become mandatory, it would be quite easy for someone to just play a bunch before posting a mediocre set until he accumulates a handful of logs where the set does a decent job. That would just make it harder to justify rejecting when we actually know a set is garbage. Because of this, I don't feel like it would really solve any red tape issues, but instead add more red tape in a different way. When I ask for logs, I usually go and test the set myself to compare how I would use it with how the TC does, and I only ever ask for logs when I'm really torn on a set and can't decide for myself.

Edit: I also wanted to note that testing sets is MANDATORY before posting anyways. It's just kinda hard to verify and therefore enforce. However, if we have reason to believe you posted a set without testing it (there are some checks we use), we will delete the thread and infract you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)