A likemecheesywee production
The Team
1577505021657.png
1577505280041.png
1577505326936.png
1577505361650.png
1577505394891.png
1577505432260.png

When Gen 8 first came out, the first thing that came to mind was HO because of Dynamax. But, after the ban, the meta slowed down and there were really only two types of teams that are strong in high ladder; Balance and Stall (I'm not saying other types of teams are unviable I just generally think these 2 are the best in this meta. So, I decided to build a Balance team featuring Conkeldurr and Toxtricity.

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 1.10.52 PM.png
1577505280041.png

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
- Haze/Toxic

Toxapex, my physical wall on the team. Toxapex with max EVs in Defence helps it takes on Scarf Darmanitan, Cinderace, Dracovish, and a lot of other Physical Attackers. Baneful bunker on toxapex allows it to poison users like Dracovish and U-turn users who would like to U-turn for some momentum. It helps scout out moves like Banded EQ from farm so you can freely go to Corviknight or Hydreigon for some offensive pressure. I usually run haze on pet as It allows me to 1v1 Gyarados, Mimikyu, SD Aegislash, and some other setup threats but, you can also run the option of Toxic which can Toxic Seismitoad which is a huge threat if Conkeldurr goes down which is my only wallbreaer. Overall Toxapex has a vital role in this team and you must save it or else the Battle will go downhill from there. Unless you are sure that all threats eliminated, you can make Toxapex as an extra sac. An other alternative is Seismitoad, you can setup rocks, be more versatile against banded Aegislash and Dracozolt.

1577505326936.png

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 200 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
Corviknight, also plays a pivotal role of gaining momentum from U-turn and it's my only hazard removal on this team. A 200 Speed EV spread allows it to be faster than 252 Spe Modest Clefable and 2 Hit KO it with Iron head. Iron head instead of the usual Brave bird/Taunt allows Corviknight to stop and switch in on Hatterene, Clefable, and Sylveon which are huge threats to my team if Corviknight goes down. Having such a great typing Steel/Flying it can switch in on many Pokemon such as Excadrill and safely U turn out.Pressure, instead of Mirror armour which helps it make fairies useless from sp.atk drops from Mystical Fire helps in Stalling PP from ex. Seismitoad and Iron head already allows me to check those fairies I mentioned. U-turn pivoting against Sub/Nasty Plot Hydreigon you can revenge kill it with your Scarf Hydreigon or at least force it out. Overall, Corviknight is here to create momentum and to remove hazards.

1577505361650.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon/Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

Hydreigon, my only scarfer plays a huge role in controlling the speed tiers and revenge killing. Hydreigon is also my only counter to Nasty play Rotom-H as it can switch in to +2 Overheat without taking too much and do ~66% with Draco. This also creates some momentum with U-turn as it can pivot out of opposing Fairies and other threats. You can either run Flash Cannon or Fire Blast. Flash cannon allows you to hit Fairies on the switch and do some good chip forcing them to heal or moon blast you, which you can easily pivot to Toxtricity or Corviknight. Fire Blast allows Hydreigon to be my primary lead when the opposing side has a dark because you face guarantee a 1 hit KO with fire blast, and if they switch you easily pivot to another Pokemon on your team.Dark pulse is just good for spamming if they don't have a dark resist and it can slowly wear down Stall. Use Hydreigon as an offensive Pivot or an Revenge Killer and make sure to keep it alive as long as possible because its vital to this team composition.

1577505394891.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave/Stealth Rocks
Clefable has the role of a healer/supporter, Clefable's access to wish allows it to wish pass it to Toxtricity, Conkeldurr, and Hydreigon to let them stay on the field longer. Max Sp.def and Max HP is very interesting as it can live a +2 Life Orb Flash Cannon hit from Hydreigon and can surprise revenge kill it with moon blast.You have the option of running Thunder Wave or Stealth Rocks. Stealth Rocks is pretty nice as you're going to have no rockers on this team and it can slowly wear down teams. Thunder wave can cripple certain mons, such as Clefable and it lets Conkeldurr and Toxtricity get a little more control of their speed tiers. Wish and protect allows you to scout out choice locked Pokemon such as banded darmanitan and will help you avoid a 1Hit KO. Having a Max Sp.def it is my Sp.def wall and can switch in to almost any sp.atk mons and can be a huge asset to winning.
1577505021657.png

Toxtricity @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Volt Switch
- Overdrive
- Snarl

Toxtricity, the first star, who I built this team around really glues the team together and gives it a nice offensive pressure. With Specs Toxtricity can 2 Hit KO anything if predicted correctly and is really a huge threat to many teams. Snarl Over Sludge Wave allows it to do ~95% to Dragapult which is one of the counters to toxtricity and it just gives better coverage than Sludge Wave. Boomburst surprisingly does more damage than Overdrive accounting for STAB and Base power so, it is much easier to spam as long as there is no ghost types. There is really nothing else to say about toxtricity as you have to predict 90% of the time what the other person is doing to get value out of this. Toxtricity may be hard to use, but, once you familiarize yourself with the ladder you can really get a lot of value from Toxtricity.

1577505432260.png

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Drain Punch/Facade
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
Conkeldurr, I save the best for last. Even though I said Toxtricity was one of my Stars, Conk for sure puts in the most work as it can 2 hit ko most of the meta game with mach punch KOing threats like Bisharp, Darmanitan, and Tyranitar It truely is a menace to play against. A 252 speed allows it to outspend most of the defensive mons such as defensive Clefable and Corviknight. I opt Close Combat Over Thunder punch because Close Combat is just way too strong. Its able to 2 hit KO Sp.def Sylveon, Clefable and able to put Mandibuzz into mach punch range. Even allowing it to kill opposing Conks in 1 hit, and because of 252 speed it can outspend most conks. Earthquake allows it to 2 Hit KO Toxapex and 1 Hit KO Aegislash and it generally covers everything close combat can't hit. One thing people get confused about it that guts without boost cannot 1 hit ko Darmanitan with mach punch, only with guts can it do that. People have been suggesting that 3 Fighting Moves on Conk may seem very dumb and I sometimes can agree with that as it struggles to do damage against Defensive Clef and Pelipper you can run Facade instead of Drain Punch but, in my opinion those mons are not so common in mid-high ladder so I just use Drain Punch over Facade. With such a beast and the rest of the team supporting conk and creating opportunities to come in, this team is truly unstoppable.

Threats
1577509978972.png

Banded Aegislash, this threat with Head Smash destroys Toxapex and Corviknight, my team can't switch in against it and your going to have to sack at least one Pokemon so pick wisely, which one is the worst against the other team because Aegislash is going to die to recoil.
1577510231542.png

Any kind of Dracozolt can force me to make plays and often make me sack one or two pokemon. My team doesn't really have an electric resist other than hydreigon (Toxtricity is too frail) which can take 1 but will lose 50-90% and really Dracozolt is just a nuisance to deal with and hard to counter unlike his counterpart Dracovish

Attachments

Last edited:
I NEED TO USE YOUR TEAM. NOW. ITS AWESOME, IT HAS 2 OF MY FAV MONS, PLS LET ME USE IT I WILL TRY RATE BUT NO PROMISES
wait,,,,,, can u tell me why conk has 3 fighting moves?

I NEED TO USE YOUR TEAM. NOW. ITS AWESOME, IT HAS 2 OF MY FAV MONS, PLS LET ME USE IT I WILL TRY RATE BUT NO PROMISES
wait,,,,,, can u tell me why conk has 3 fighting moves?
To Answer your question, I don't feel a need to put Thunder Punch Over CC or Drain punch as Drain punch gives me recovery while CC 2 hit KO's puts anything under mach punch range if it doesn't resist. Hopefully this helped.

To Answer your question, I don't feel a need to put Thunder Punch Over CC or Drain punch as Drain punch gives me recovery while CC 2 hit KO's puts anything under mach punch range if it doesn't resist. Hopefully this helped.
k, thanks... I will try this tesm out, thanks
another question, how do u deal with rain or scarf vish?

Last edited:
seems like an great team but mabey more ability to stop galar darmannitan since it is very popular because of his ability but that jiust my thoughts

after some time using this team, I feel like conk should change drain punxh to ice punch, payback or something (maybe its my playstyle, but I jist wanted to let u know

I am going to do a video using your team, I will link you the video once I post it to Youtube in the next couple days or so. However, one weird thing that stands out to me is the fact that you have 3 fighting moves on conkeldurr, which leaves it with no coverage in my opinion. But i will see how it plays after I make the video and let you know!

I am going to do a video using your team, I will link you the video once I post it to Youtube in the next couple days or so. However, one weird thing that stands out to me is the fact that you have 3 fighting moves on conkeldurr, which leaves it with no coverage in my opinion. But i will see how it plays after I make the video and let you know!
oooohhh nice idea

Ah, well I hope the games goes well then, Good Luck!

hey nice team bro, it does look really solid

i'd make really few tweaks, let's see…. i think you definitely need a ground type, both rotom-h/w and dracozolt are annoying to deal with+ rain based teams would make the game particularly tough, toxapex allegedly helps vs barraskewda but it really can't handle all the rain offensive power on its own.. that's why i wholeheartedly suggest you to swap toxapex into Seismitoad, which could help facing rotom ( both heat and water, you only have to watch out for choice scarf trick set), sets rocks pretty easily and eases rain teams' pressure due to water absorb.
That being said i'd try to fix conkeldurr sets if i were you, 3 fight moves look like a waste in my opinion, but since earthquake already does around 50% to life orb bulky sweeper clefable you might not need facade. You could try running thunder punch just to hit both jellicent and vaporeon, but i feel like close combat would do even more damages to the latter, so i really don't know. Defog would offer you a chance to change corviknight's set, but it's not mandatory.
I'll test the team and let you know if there's something else to fix, nice job so far though :]

Last edited:

i'd make really few tweaks, let's see…. i think you definitely need a ground type, both rotom-h/w and dracozolt are annoying to deal win + rain based teams would make the game particularly tough, toxapex allegedly helps vs barraskewda but it really can't handle all the rain offensive power on its own.. that's why i wholeheartedly suggest you to swap toxapex into Seismitoad, which could help facing rotom ( both heat and water, you only have to watch out for choice scarf trick set), sets rocks pretty easily and eases rain teams' pressure due to water absorb.
That being said i'd try to fix conkeldurr sets if i were you, 3 fight moves look like a waste in my opinion, but since earthquake already does around 50% to life orb bulky sweeper clefable you might not need facade. You could try running thunder punch just to hit both jellicent and vaporeon, but i feel like close combat would do even more damages to the latter, so i really don't know. Defog would offer you a chance to change corviknight's set, but it's not mandatory.
I'll test the team and let you know if there's something else to fix, nice job so far though :]
Thank you, as for changing Toxapex into Seismitoad I've given it a bit of thought and I'll do some more test battles to see if I like it or not. Thank you!

i'd make really few tweaks, let's see…. i think you definitely need a ground type, both rotom-h/w and dracozolt are annoying to deal with+ rain based teams would make the game particularly tough, toxapex allegedly helps vs barraskewda but it really can't handle all the rain offensive power on its own.. that's why i wholeheartedly suggest you to swap toxapex into Seismitoad, which could help facing rotom ( both heat and water, you only have to watch out for choice scarf trick set), sets rocks pretty easily and eases rain teams' pressure due to water absorb.
Running a few tests in the mid 1600-1700s range I've noticed Seismitoad is lacking a lot of qualities in it's defensive capabilities that Toxapex has; Constantly switching in on Aegislash and taking a lot of chip, Sirfetched with Toxapex walls, Being statused making it unable to heal, unable to deal with the likes of Centiscorch, and just generally lacking a lot of defensive capability that toxapex has to offer. I appreciate the comment and the suggestion but, I still feel like toxapex is a better choice.

Try dracozolt instead of toxtricity, same speed. Your tox suffers from gettng locked into either electric move or boomburst, which both have immunities

Try dracozolt instead of toxtricity, same speed. Your tox suffers from gettng locked into either electric move or boomburst, which both have immunities
see, thats the point. You suffer toxtricity getting locked while predicting a lot to do heavy amounts of damage. After all, dracozolt can't do the wallbreaking properties that toxtricity has.

Alright, I attached the video below. i really liked the team, but i felt like I was just missing a lot of answers to a lot of threats. For example, I had no way whatsoever of beating mirror coat milotic, without it eating through my team. Ferrothorn also walls every member due to the lack of fire coverage on a few mons. I also was unable to safely get conkeldurr in so it could get a kill, but that was likely because I let it take too much damage prior. Speaking of conkeldurr, I really didn't like the three fighting attacks. I really only needed to click close combat once. I think drain punch is more useful since it has recovery, and conkeldurr has terrible speed even at max. A coverage move would've been very helpful, because at the end of the video, you can see me forced to make a dangerous offensive switch because conkeldurr didn't have a move to hit dragapult super effectively. I think Ice Punch would help Conkeldurr out a lot! Anyway, enough from me, here is the video. Thanks for the awesome team!

Alright, I attached the video below. i really liked the team, but i felt like I was just missing a lot of answers to a lot of threats. For example, I had no way whatsoever of beating mirror coat milotic, without it eating through my team. Ferrothorn also walls every member due to the lack of fire coverage on a few mons. I also was unable to safely get conkeldurr in so it could get a kill, but that was likely because I let it take too much damage prior. Speaking of conkeldurr, I really didn't like the three fighting attacks. I really only needed to click close combat once. I think drain punch is more useful since it has recovery, and conkeldurr has terrible speed even at max. A coverage move would've been very helpful, because at the end of the video, you can see me forced to make a dangerous offensive switch because conkeldurr didn't have a move to hit dragapult super effectively. I think Ice Punch would help Conkeldurr out a lot! Anyway, enough from me, here is the video. Thanks for the awesome team!

This is why Dracozolt is a good replacement

This team has been a blast! Bringing in breakers and clicking buttons warms my low-ladder heart. Any suggestions for changes post-darm-ban?

Also, I feel like I'm sometimes suffering from my Corviknight being too fast: I'd prefer the slow safe u-turn. Would it be reasonable to put some of the speed EVs into bulk, or is it really necessary against Clef?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)