Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]
  • Stellar Attack
  • Decent Defenses
  • Good offensive STAB
  • Sufficient offensive movepool including a priority STAB
  • Two excellent abilities in Sheer Force and Guts, either boosting it's coverage significantly to make it an effective wallbreaker or making it a status absorber respectively.
  • Useful resistances to Dark and Rock
  • Crippling weaknesses to Flying, Fairy, and Psychic
  • Very low Speed
  • Struggles against several metagame defining threats such as Talonflame, Metagross, Diancie, and Sableye.

[Set]
name: Sheer Force Attacker
move 1: Mach Punch
move 2: Drain Punch / Superpower
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Thunder Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Adamant
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe

[Set Comments]

Moves
========
  • Mach Punch is mandatory as priority is very useful to Conkeldurr, the other moves are highly dependent on Conkeldurr's teammates.
  • Drain Punch is more consistent than Superpower, but Superpower does an enormous amount of damage to bulky neutral targets.
  • Ice Punch hits bulky Ground types that it's partners tend to lure out.
  • ThunderPunch hits bulky Water types such as Gyarados, Slowbro, and Manaphy.
  • Life Orb is used to take advantage of Sheer Force and increase Conkeldurr's power without having to rely on the opponent inflicting status on it.
  • If having Fairies lured and eliminated is beneficial to Conkeldurr's team, Poison Jab gets the Sheer Force boost and can be used over one of the typical coverage moves.
Set Details
========
  • The EVs are just enough to outspeed defensive Skarmory while maximizing power, however, if Skarmory and normal Scizor are not a concern, an alternative spread of 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe can be used for Clefable and 84 Spe Azumarill.
  • Sheer Force gives a huge boost to Conkeldurr's coverage moves, allowing it to muscle past it's typical checks, and Life Orb is used to further increase Conkeldurr's power and take advantage of Sheer Force nulling the recoil on moves boosted by Sheer Force.

Usage Tips
========
  • Bring out Conkeldurr early in the game to punch holes in the opponent's team, this Conkeldurr does very well against common hazard leads such as Garchomp, Tyranitar, Landorus-T, and Ferrothorn.
  • Conkeldurr should be used to lure out and maim common physical walls for its teammates.
  • Life Orb Conkeldurr's Mach Punch is very strong, so even at low health it can be still be useful later as a revenge killer. Otherwise, once Conkeldurr has done it's job in the early game it is mostly death fodder.
  • When in doubt, Superpower does solid damage to all but the bulkiest resists (if you choose to use it).
  • Most people expect Assault Vest Conkeldurr, so avoid revealing Life Orb unless absolutely necessary for maximum effect. This will also dissuade the opponent from using status on Conkeldurr.
Team Options
========
  • Sheer Force Conkeldurr fits in well on physically oriented offense teams that enjoy having physical walls like Hippowdon and Slowbro broken.
  • Mega Sableye is a pretty hard counter to this set, so any Fairy type works well with this Conkeldurr. Mega Diancie deserves a special mention since Conkeldurr takes down a lot of its common checks and counters such as Ferrothorn and SDef Skarmory.
  • Talonflame is an excellent partner for Conkeldurr, as it holds up against the Fairies that threaten Conkeldurr, while Conkeldurr weakens or eliminates Pokemon in the way of a Talonflame sweep. Excadrill works similarly, while also resisting Psychic.
  • This Conkeldurr also struggles greatly against bulky Psychic types that it can't hit super effectively like Cresselia. Therefore, strong Dark and Ghost attackers work well with Conkeldurr.
[Set]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Drain Punch
move 2: Mach Punch
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Ice Punch / Stone Edge
ability: Guts
item: Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SDef / 20 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Drain Punch is the mandatory STAB move on this set to maximize Conkeldurr's longevity.
  • Knock Off hits Gengar and Psychic types such as Latios and Starmie that the other moves may not cover.
  • Ice Punch is typically the preferred coverage move to hit bulky Grounds such as Landorus-T and Garchomp.
  • Stone Edge is mostly to hit Talonflame, Charizard Y, Pinsir, and Volcarona.
  • Poison Jab can once again be used in the last slot to hit Fairies such as Clefable and Gardevoir.
  • Assault Vest allows Conkeldurr to take hits from powerful special attackers like Landorus and Gengar and retaliate with the appropriate move.
Set Details
========
  • Instead of being a wallbreaker like the previous set, this Conkeldurr acts more as an offensive pivot to sponge hits from certain special attackers that offensive teams otherwise have no switch ins to.
  • The minimal investment in Speed is mostly to outspeed Hippowdon and hit it with Ice Punch before it can recover or use Stealth Rocks.
  • Guts is the best ability for this set to absorb and punish the use of status, and boosted Drain Punches often offset the residual damage from poison and burn.
Usage Tips
========
  • This Conkeldurr can directly switch into more attacks than the previous set, in fact, the whole point of AV Conkeldurr is to avoid having other, more significant teammates take unnecessary damage from powerful special attackers.
  • AV Conkeldurr can also act as a status absorber for it's team, since it will then get the Guts boost.
  • This Conkeldurr is also the most useful in the early and mid game when the opponent's special attackers are healthy.
  • Knock Off is a very safe move to spam when in doubt.
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that enjoy having a sponge for special Electric types, Genies, and Gengar are good partners for Conkeldurr. Pokemon that come to mind include Rotom-W, Slowbro, Landorus-T, and Metagross.
  • This particular Conkeldurr enjoys hazard support since it otherwise struggles to attain certain 2HKOes on bulkier offensive threats such as Mega Manectric after Intimidate.
  • Pokemon that like having a status absorber pair well with Conkeldurr, again, Landorus-T and Metagross fit this category as well as sweepers that often get cut off by Will-o-Wisp or Thunder Wave, such as Mega Altaria and Mega Gyarados.
  • Hazard removal is also quite important to ensure Conkeldurr survives certain hits.
  • Mega Sableye walls this set even harder than the last, so Fairy types that can deal with Sableye are good partners for this set as well
[Strategy Comments]

Other Options
=============
  • Rock Slide does get boosted by Sheer Force but it isn't recommended on that set as it doesn't actually attain any notable KOes over using it on the Guts AV set. Rock Slide can also be used on the AV set over Stone Edge for more accuracy.
  • Fire Punch is an alternative coverage move that can be used to take on Mega Scizor better.
  • Iron Fist is Conkeldurr's third ability but is usually inferior to Guts and Sheer Force due to those two giving larger boosts.

Checks and Counters
===================
  • **Mega Sableye**: tanks anything either set can throw at it and just Recovers off the damage.
  • **Psychic types**: such as Mega Metagross, Mega Latias, Reuniclus, and Cresselia that can shrug off Knock Off also handle Conkeldurr well.
  • **Flying types**: Talonflame and Mega Pinsir almost always force Conkeldurr out.
  • **Fairy Types**: Strong Fairy type attackers like Azumarill, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Altaria threaten Conkeldurr greatly and often force it to switch out.
  • **Bulky Ground Types**: The likes of Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Landorus-T can also handle Conkeldurr well with good predictions.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
C&C isn't in correct format, it's supposed to be like this:

**Mega Sableye**: blah blah blah

Also don't put actual stats in the overview (stellar 140 atk), you're not meant to since the dex entry has the stats listed above already.

e: buff up c&c too

Darkerones said:
Adamant is the only nature for Sheer Force Conkeldurr.
It has no reason to be in move section, and i think thats useless to mention it.

Then you can mention Reuniclus defensive as Psychic check which is pretty common these days and doesnt fear knock off.

You should also mention bulky ground type such as hippowdon/Landorus-T/Quagsire that can check Conkeldurr perfectly with good predictions.

1/3. Well done.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Darkerones I think Poison Jab would be better in moves instead of slashed with Ice Punch cause Ice Punch is kind of important for tank chomp, and these grounds that Leftiez mentioned these days while Poison Jab is a bit more specific in targets. This is in regards to its Life Orb set btw.

Same deal with AV with Poison Jabs in move details instead of slashed. Also real men and women use Stone Edge Conkeldurr. Rock Slide in other options for better accuracy. Considering the aspect of Sheer Force Rock Slide can be mentioned for the sake of accuracy. I'd put Fire Punch in OO for Conkeldurr as it lets it get past Defensive M-Scizor a bit more easily.

Just a general beef up on checks and counters such as the fairy types since you do want to mention stuff like Azumarill that can threaten it if they're in. Under AV a little more on usage tip in how it can be used as a general status absorber and pivot to various forms of hyper offense.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Prefacing this with a reminder that I'm not QC.
Darkerones I think Poison Jab would be better in moves instead of slashed with Ice Punch cause Ice Punch is kind of important for tank chomp, and these grounds that Leftiez mentioned these days while Poison Jab is a bit more specific in targets. This is in regards to its Life Orb set btw.

Same deal with AV with Poison Jabs in move details instead of slashed. Also real men and women use Stone Edge Conkeldurr. Rock Slide in other options for better accuracy. Considering the aspect of Sheer Force Rock Slide can be mentioned for the sake of accuracy. I'd put Fire Punch in OO for Conkeldurr as it lets it get past Defensive M-Scizor a bit more easily.

Just a general beef up on checks and counters such as the fairy types since you do want to mention stuff like Azumarill that can threaten it if they're in. Under AV a little more on usage tip in how it can be used as a general status absorber and pivot to various forms of hyper offense.
I respectfully disagree with the notion that Stone Edge is better than Rock Slide for the Sheer Force set. You give up 10% accuracy, a higher PP count, and a LO recoil-free move for less than 5 BP of extra power (Rock Slide's BP is 97.5 after Sheer Force if I did my math right).
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Conkeldurr Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 133-156 (32.9 - 38.6%) -- 3.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Conkeldurr Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- 18.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I don't think Stone Edge should get any mention for Sheer Force since the benefits are so marginal for the costs.

^ Ignore that

Also for the Iron Fist mention in OO, make sure you talk about how it's best on the AV set since people will expect Guts and try not to status Conkeldurr with Burns willingly, giving you stronger priority and recovery. However, you lose the ability to switch into Scalds and Lava Plumes without concern and are made useless if you do get Burned.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Prefacing this with a reminder that I'm not QC.

I respectfully disagree with the notion that Stone Edge is better than Rock Slide for the Sheer Force set. You give up 10% accuracy, a higher PP count, and a LO recoil-free move for less than 5 BP of extra power (Rock Slide's BP is 97.5 after Sheer Force if I did my math right).
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Conkeldurr Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 133-156 (32.9 - 38.6%) -- 3.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Conkeldurr Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- 18.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I don't think Stone Edge should get any mention for Sheer Force since the benefits are so marginal for the costs.

Also for the Iron Fist mention in OO, make sure you talk about how it's best on the AV set since people will expect Guts and try not to status Conkeldurr with Burns willingly, giving you stronger priority and recovery. However, you lose the ability to switch into Scalds and Lava Plumes without concern and are made useless if you do get Burned.
I was talking about Stone Edge on its AV set.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
I've been using Conkeldurr a lot lately and I think RP Diancie should be mentioned as a partner for the Sheer Force set. Diancie manhandles Sableye, sets up on Latis/Talon/Altaria coming in to revenge Conk, and also handles Clefable if no Poison Jab. Meanwhile, Conk is perfect for Diancie, as it beats Sp.Def Skarm, Azu, banded Scizor, and Amoongus for it to set up and sweep.

I know the ladder's commonly derided, but I've got up to #4 with that core.

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
I've procrastinated this long enough, I think I have all the necessary changes done so this is ready for another QC check.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a few general comments, not QC.

There's a new format here.

In the overview, be a little more specific, like in saying what its abilities are and why they are good.
If you're going to say that it struggles against metagame defining threats, be sure to list what they are; I'm sure you can do this.

SF Attacker

Be sure to have a sentence for all the moves on the set and be specific for their targets.

In usage tips, say what hazard setters it matches up well against.

Move the second bullet point from set details to usage tips.
Also in set details mention the ability and item.

AV

I don't think a Careful nature deserves a slash, but if you can show that it avoids a certain 2HKO then its fine, you just shouldnt say "is a nifty choice to avoid certain OHKOes and 2HKOes." because thats pretty arbitrary.

In the moves section, don't say that Knock Off is a very safe move to spam in doubt, that fits better in usage tips - say what Pokemon it hits and why it is a good move on the set.
Give some examples of the bulky ground types that it hits and give poison jab its own sentence.
Move the last bullet point in moves to Set Details.

Just add more examples overall and be more specific, looks pretty good for your first time (I think).

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Just a few general comments, not QC.

There's a new format here.

In the overview, be a little more specific, like in saying what its abilities are and why they are good.
If you're going to say that it struggles against metagame defining threats, be sure to list what they are; I'm sure you can do this.

SF Attacker

Be sure to have a sentence for all the moves on the set and be specific for their targets.

In usage tips, say what hazard setters it matches up well against.

Move the second bullet point from set details to usage tips.
Also in set details mention the ability and item.

AV

I don't think a Careful nature deserves a slash, but if you can show that it avoids a certain 2HKO then its fine, you just shouldnt say "is a nifty choice to avoid certain OHKOes and 2HKOes." because thats pretty arbitrary.

In the moves section, don't say that Knock Off is a very safe move to spam in doubt, that fits better in usage tips - say what Pokemon it hits and why it is a good move on the set.
Give some examples of the bulky ground types that it hits and give poison jab its own sentence.
Move the last bullet point in moves to Set Details.

Just add more examples overall and be more specific, looks pretty good for your first time (I think).
I thought I would save the more specific details for the actual write up but yeah I can include all that stuff and check out the new format. I'll probably just remove the Careful slash altogether since that was mostly for Landorus and that thing is probably going Uber very soon. Thanks for the feedback

Edit: done with changes

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
looking good,
  • mention clefable and sylveon in c&c under fairy-types, and mention have faries fear poison jab
  • mention slowbro is c&c under psychic-types, but mention it fears thunderpunch
  • mention mega venusaur and bulky mega scizor somewhere in c&c
  • mention in usage tips how av conkeldurr doesnt mind getting paralyzed / burnt, so if can switch in on stuff like mew much more freely than other physical attackers
  • mention stuff that weakens hippowdon / clefable as good teammates for both the sets. for exmaple: nasty plot thundurus and sd terrakion
qc 2/3, get this written and done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)