Could a T-Tar wall work?

Could TTar make a 'decent' wall despite its weaknesses?

• Yes

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that Ttar has a lot of high base stats, enough for some to consider it "uber" though, as of right now, it's not on the Uber tire.

I've thought about using a TTar as a wall, just because it has high base stats and gets that Sandstorm Sp.Def boost, though, it has so many weaknesses that you're bound to run into being nailed with a Super Effective hit at least once. But with all the natural power TTar has, could it make a good wall in both defenses despite it's many weaknesses? I mean... could work great with Curse, and gets that Special Defense boost at the same time. So, what's your opinion? All comments are welcome!

Well, after cursing enough times, you'd be at max defense, live through nearly any hit (without status changes) and on top of it, you'd have a lot of attack and defense as well from the benefit of curse. I think it'd work.

If you want to make an actual discussion of it, do some damage calculations, post an EV spread, and name some support Pokémon for him. Yea it is usable, and it has been used before, but without some organization/cold hard facts, this thread isn't going anywhere.

On topic: Yes it can work, but not very well vs. TTar's other sets.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even with good Defensive stats, a X4 fighting weakness, and weaknesses to Bug, Ground, Water, Grass & Steel are too much. It could work, but why waste such an offensive powerhouse when there are better walls out there?

Tyranitar as a wall? Celebi has many weaknesses, like Tyranitar, and yet it can be a wall. So why can't Tyranitar be a wall? Well, does it learn anything that lets it heal itself, such as recover? Or is it forced to use rest, such as the ADV Skarmory.

I think it would be more viable as a tank, being able to take a lot of hits, and deal back some damage. Similar strategy to Curselax I suppose.

But to be practical, Tyranitar should be doing what it does best: sweep...

Yes, if you managed to get that many curses up. But then you will always be weak to the special attacks despite the spdef boost, and your cursed speed doesn't help you attack before being knocked out.

I agree that Ttar is best off as a sweeper, but the idea of it getting the STAB boost from its own ability and raise its stats as well as its defensive stats is just... pretty good facts to try taking advantage of.

I've had experiences where I've done surf to TTar and it's done about 1/4 damage to Ttar, and I used Surf against it with a Starmie with 31 IV in Sp.Atk and 252 Sp.Atk EVs. So this is why I'm asking...

I pondered this for a bit, and the best moveset i could make is -

stone edge
eq
curse
rest

Not too sure on the ev's but I figure 252/252 hp/def.. since he's not a sweeper, I guess the curse boosts should give enough of a damage boost.. and it'd be stupid to give it speed just to lower it.

the problem with that set is tho, that with out sleep talk, you're getting abused for 2 turns with no way to fight back, and most likely will just end up being looped into cursinging the first turn, needing to rest, taking two hits, needing to rest again.. until you either switch or die.

really, i think it belongs as a sweeper. you don't haul loads in a CRX and you don't street race in 1500.. in other words, certain things are designed for certain purposes, and even though they CAN be manipulated to do other jobs.. 9 times out of 10, the thing designed for that job will do it better.

I agree that Ttar is best off as a sweeper, but the idea of it getting the STAB boost from its own ability and raise its stats as well as its defensive stats is just... pretty good facts to try taking advantage of.

I've had experiences where I've done surf to TTar and it's done about 1/4 damage to Ttar, and I used Surf against it with a Starmie with 31 IV in Sp.Atk and 252 Sp.Atk EVs. So this is why I'm asking...
That has to be wrong... it should do more than 40%; were you using Adamant Starmie?

That has to be wrong... it should do more than 40%; were you using Adamant Starmie?
I did damage calcs.

Timid Starmie (252 Sp.Atk) Surf vs. (+Sp.Def) Tyranitar (252 HP/252 Sp.Def) with the SS boost
Damage: 31.93% - 37.38%

And I can't really say I know too many people who run a +Sp.Def nature Ttar.

On my SS team, I use a spread similar to this:

Tyranitar (♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 108 HP/252 Def/150 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

368 hp for nice lefties recovery, max defence is 350. the Sp dfce Ev's allow for 410 special defence in a SS. I pair it with a Wish/Reflect/LightScreen/Charge Beam Light Clay Jirachi, and dropping either reflect or Light Screen for HP ice depending on the team. You could max out HP and throw Sub in there somewhere too.

the problem with tyranitar, as others have stated, is the lack of reliable recovery, and poor typing. being weak to water, ground, grass, bug, steel, and 4x to fighting kinda kills the prospect. if you use rest, then a fighting pokemon will come in and rape tyranitar. or if youve gotten curses off, then anything with surf will come in and threaten to ko or force you to rest again.

Kinda liek the stealth rock Infernape, this guy has better things to do with his 134 base attack and 100 base power STAB moves.

I've actually used both a physical wall and a special wall, I wanted to test them. Physically, the fighting weak meant that I had to instantly prepare for Heracross and Infernape, and so I ended up adding a Gliscor to my time. From then on, Gliscor just became my physical wall, and TTar didn't end up doing anything. Specially mine worked marginally better, it could take hits and hit back, but on average with a few exceptions, special sweepers tend to be just a little bit bulkier, and TTar wasn't doing enough damage to negate the fact that he doesn't have a recovery move. If he had a recovery move, then he'd stand out amazingly. But then again, if I could give just one pokemon a recovery move, it wouldn't be TTar. It doesn't have any sort of surprise value at all, because once in, they just switch to one of the many things that can severely dent TTar and without a nature boost TTar isnt' doing enough damage.

You can't compare Celebi weakness thing to Tyranitar's. For one thing, Celebi actually has resistence to like 3 of the top 5 most common type of moves, water, grass and ground, as well as the handy electric one.

All Tyranitar does is resist normal and flying, which are either phsyical or rare or accompanied by a ground or fighting move. There's also resisting dark and psychic and ghost, which are rarely rarely rarely ever used except by like other Tyranitars, who can EQ/FP, Gengars who can FP, and Psychics that can GK.

Tyranitar's 6 weaknesses are a lot worst than Celebi's 7 imo, but Tyranitar has the offensive stats to back it up, so it should probably abuse that. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)