Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OP Stolen & adapted from Tesung with permission

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the OU metagame.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in OU, for the sake of using it in OU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
  • This is an OU thread. Don't post some Lugia set.
A shitty gimmick is not limited to the above, though. To quote Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

So here is a good example of an underrated and effective set:

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Hyper Voice
-Hydro Pump
-Fire Blast
-Draco Meteor / Roost

As most Mega Salamence sets are physical DD sets, this set is aimed to take on and eliminate Mence's usual counters by taking advantage of Mence’s often overlooked base 120 SpAtk stat. Hyper Voice is boosted by Aerialate while also having the ability to hit through subs. Hydro Pump is used to hit mons such as Heatran, Hippowdon, and Rhyperior hard, who otherwise (kinda) wall the standard SubDD sets. Fire Blast is great for nuking Steels such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, who otherwise wall / annoy Mence, respectively. The last slot is a tossup between a second STAB in Draco Meteor, and Roost, which trades between longevity and coverage.

Note, these sets don't have to be 100% original and creative, no one wants to give away all of their best sets, but whatever you have to offer the community is great, and if it is a set that is simply underrated, even if you didn't create it, feel free to share

Rules:
  • First and foremost, please make sure that your set is actually underrated. Posting a set that everyone uses is not one of these and your post may be subject to being deleted. Repeated offenses may result in further actions.
  • This is for ORAS OU. XY Sets should go in Tesung's thread here.
  • DO NOT POST SHITTY GIMMICKS. Seriously. Don't. It's not funny and only wastes other people's time. These posts will be deleted and infractions will be handed out.
  • Have fun =]
Archive:

Last edited:

Fuck Salamence (Zapdos) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog / Heat Wave

This is a Zapdos set I made designed to check a lot of the new offensive OU megas that were annoying me like Lopunny and non ice punch Metagross, but most importantly Salamence.

Rocky Helmet and HP Ice are key for this set, as rocky helmet widdles all the megas it's supposed to wall, and HP Ice does over 50% to full spdef Salamence. Roost and HP Ice are essential moveslots, but the other two are open for whatever your team needs. This set also functions as a great check to Lando-t because of how well it takes stone edge and lead garchomp, as they often lack stone edge.

The speed evs are optional, but I used mine to outspeed and volt switch out of jolly breloom, and creep adamant Dragonite.

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Zapdos: 120-141 (31.2 - 36.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect/Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Posted this somewhere else, but I think it belongs here. I havent really seen this guy since the old mega kangaskhan days but with all these new physical megas I think its time for him to shine again. The main purpose of this mon is to make lando-t think twice before just blindly coming in and going for u-turn, toxicing bulky mons like slowbro rotom etc, beating azu 1v1, and beating offensive megas like metagross and lopunny who have ice punch, because ice punch doesnt kill and then garchomp can take the hit and KO them right back. It is very good and I am th only one Ive seen use it for quite some time so its pretty under rated atm. The main reason it does so well is because it literally is the exact opposite of what most garchomps do. The evs could perhaps be more optimal, but not by much because I think garchomp needs at least 232 defense to live lopunny's fake out + ice punch. Fire blast is probably better than protect in most cases since otherwise mons like ferro and skarm can just hazard stack in your face, but my team personally has other ways to handle them so I like protect to scout/get more toxic damage on rotom.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

[11/10/14 7:44:29 PM] Matt: am you should post that resttalk clef set
[11/10/14 7:44:34 PM] Matt: in the underrated sets thread
[11/10/14 7:44:40 PM] AM: alright
[11/10/14 7:44:47 PM] Matt: claim the innovation
[11/10/14 7:44:51 PM] AM: rofl right
[11/10/14 7:44:58 PM] Aldo: crofable!
[11/10/14 7:45:23 PM] Andrew : it's basically unaware magic guard

Rip M-Bro, Rip Suicune, RIP M-Sableye, RIP MG CM Clefable and so on. I went ahead and just used this set cause it helped one of my stall teams to handle some of these threats a bit more easily. It's not necessarily creative but it's pretty underrated in the fact it takes advantage of the various set up sweepers mentioned that are found on your average stall build now a days. It's pretty obvious what it does as it helps provide a win con to basic defensive cores and provides a wall to some threats such as Weavile and Conkeldurr as well. So yeah if you're having trouble with those mentioned threats on your defensive builds or in general give this set a shot.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Sableye @ Sableite
Ability : Prankster
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Toxic

Basically dual status Sableye. Although I usually prefer the CM set because of how much tougher it is to deal with and how much it pays off in the long run, the Knock Off set's ability to support its team directly and put in work early-game is pretty nice. However, it's kinda tricky to figure out what to run in the last slot since 99% of the time, Wisp/Recover/Knock Off is all you need. Taunt streamlines the stallbreaking process nicely, stopping you from getting PP stalled, but it doesn't really bring anything new per se. Foul Play I don't really get because you already have Knock Off as your main spammable move and, although it discourages setup, Wisp does that too for the most part. I actually tried a bunch of different stuff in that last slot, from Torment (mildly annoys your opponent but that's it really), Disable (same here) and even Metal Burst (I do not recommend this one lol, Sableye's low HP+the fact that Metal Burst only deals x1.5 damage back means its damage output is disappointingly low). I ended up settling with Toxic. Toxic is actually pretty nice on Sableye since it screws over Fire types, specifically Talonflame and Charizard-X, who often switch in to absorb WoW. Much like Foul Play, it stops these Pokemon from setting up on you, but it many ways it's better since you can just spam recovery and watch them die, and because Foul Play damage can be recovered off while Toxic is permanent. It also completely screws non-Heal Bell (or non-Rest I guess) Unaware Clefable, who seems to be getting more popular than the Magic Guard variant for its ability to deal with SD MGallade, SP MLatias and CM MSlowbro. It also cripples MGardevoir, specially-based non-Heal Ball MAltaria, and Special attackers in general more than WoW does. It may seem like an odd move to run on it, but when there really isn't much else to run you might as well.

here's a replay I guess : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-184124209 (if I didn't miss I would've been able to beat Talon w/o weakening Hippowdon but it still kinda payed off in the end)

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gravity / Knock Off
- U-turn / Stone Edge

This set functions as a mix of an offensive SR setter, physical pivot, and wallbreaker. With Earth Plate and maximum Attack investment, Landorus-T has a 82.4% chance to 2HKO max HP / max Def+ Mega Sableye with Earthquake, allowing it to set up Stealth Rock reliably. Gravity lets Landorus-T fuck up Rotom-W and Skarmory, two of its biggest counters, which also means that it beats every single defensive anti-Stealth Rock Pokemon, making for a great Stealth Rock setter for offensive teams. Furthermore, few Pokemon can wall this set, such as Mega Slowbro, Slowbro, Landorus-T, physically defensive Gliscor, and physically defensive Hippowdon, with some of those Pokemon being rare on stall (Gliscor and Landorus-T) and other being easy to wear down (Mega Slowbro with U-turn), making Landorus-T an asset against stall, unlike every other of its sets. Knock Off is an option instead of Gravity but should be used with Magnezone support, to trap and KO Skarmory after it gets his Shed Shell removed. Knock Off + U-turn is also a great way to wear down Rotom-W. U-turn ensures that Latios and Latias can't take advantage of you if you are not using Knock Off, and makes Landorus-T a great pivot, but Stone Edge is an option to check Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Salamence, and Dragonite and nail on the switch Pokemon such as Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y. Maximum Speed helps outrun most Rotom-W sets and OHKO them with Earthquake or do a lot of damage with Knock Off and U-turn, as well as outrun Timid Heatran, Mew, Diggersby, and more, which helps a lot in many 1 v 1 matchups and means that Landorus-T is forced out less often. Finally, since this set is rare, it's a cool lure for Mega Sableye, and so it's a good partner for Pokemon such as Mega Gallade, Mega Alakazam, and Bisharp, which Mega Sableye checks or counters.

Here is another one:

Chansey / Blissey (F) @ Eviolite / Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold / Calm Nature
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Skill Swap

Pretty simple concept, the blobs easily wall any Mega Sableye set, have the moveslot to spare, and can Toxic stall it to death after Magic Bounce is removed. Same goes for Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable. Skill Swap is also a decent way to cripple many of the usual switch-ins to the blobs, such as Mega Metagross, Scarf Landorus-T, Mega Scizor, Mega Heracross, Mega Salamence, Mega Altaria, Mega Lopunny, and any other physical attacker that relies a lot on its ability to do damage. Blissey is mentioned because Mega Sableye uses Knock Off often, and Blissey without item > Chansey without item. Just make sure to have more Mega Sableye checks and counters though, as Skill Swap has only 16 PPs, so it's not hard to pp stall.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gravity / Knock Off
- U-turn / Stone Edge

This set functions as a mix of an offensive SR setter, physical pivot, and wallbreaker. With Earth Plate and maximum Attack investment, Landorus-T has a 82.4% chance to 2HKO max HP / max Def+ Mega Sableye with Earthquake, allowing it to set up Stealth Rock reliably. Gravity lets Landorus-T fuck up Rotom-W and Skarmory, two of its biggest counters, which also means that it beats every single defensive anti-Stealth Rock Pokemon, making for a great Stealth Rock setter for offensive teams. Furthermore, few Pokemon can wall this set, such as Mega Slowbro, Slowbro, Landorus-T, physically defensive Gliscor, and physically defensive Hippowdon, with some of those Pokemon being rare on stall (Gliscor and Landorus-T) and other being easy to wear down (Mega Slowbro with U-turn), making Landorus-T an asset against stall, unlike every other of its sets. Knock Off is an option instead of Gravity but should be used with Magnezone support, to trap and KO Skarmory after it gets his Shed Shell removed. Knock Off + U-turn is also a great way to wear down Rotom-W. U-turn ensures that Latios and Latias can't take advantage of you if you are not using Knock Off, and makes Landorus-T a great pivot, but Stone Edge is an option to check Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Salamence, and Dragonite and nail on the switch Pokemon such as Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y. Maximum Speed helps outrun most Rotom-W sets and OHKO them with Earthquake or do a lot of damage with Knock Off and U-turn, as well as outrun Timid Heatran, Mew, Diggersby, and more, which helps a lot in many 1 v 1 matchups and means that Landorus-T is forced out less often. Finally, since this set is rare, it's a cool lure for Mega Sableye, and so it's a good partner for Pokemon such as Mega Gallade, Mega Alakazam, and Bisharp, which Mega Sableye checks or counters.

Here is another one:

Chansey / Blissey (F) @ Eviolite / Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold / Calm Nature
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Skill Swap

Pretty simple concept, the blobs easily wall any Mega Sableye set, have the moveslot to spare, and can Toxic stall it to death after Magic Bounce is removed. Same goes for Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable. Skill Swap is also a decent way to cripple many of the usual switch-ins to the blobs, such as Mega Metagross, Scarf Landorus-T, Mega Scizor, Mega Heracross, Mega Salamence, Mega Altaria, Mega Lopunny, and any other physical attacker that relies a lot on its ability to do damage. Blissey is mentioned because Mega Sableye uses Knock Off often, and Blissey without item > Chansey without item. Just make sure to have more Mega Sableye checks and counters though, as Skill Swap has only 16 PPs, so it's not hard to pp stall.
I'll add the first one, but I'm hesitant to add the second. one problem I have with skill swap pink blob is that you're gonna try to stall it out with Toxic, when you're giving Sableye Natural Cure. I've been theorymonning mons with Skill Swap to take out mega Sableye, and Gallade seems to be the only one who can actually make use of it. I'll post the set if it works out the way I want it to, but as it is now I just see it as a gimmick. Like I said it doesn't do any good if you toxic it and give it natural cure, which it would want to switch out anyways which heals his status.

Hopefully that made sense ._.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll add the first one, but I'm hesitant to add the second. one problem I have with skill swap pink blob is that you're gonna try to stall it out with Toxic, when you're giving Sableye Natural Cure. I've been theorymonning mons with Skill Swap to take out mega Sableye, and Gallade seems to be the only one who can actually make use of it. I'll post the set if it works out the way I want it to, but as it is now I just see it as a gimmick. Like I said it doesn't do any good if you toxic it and give it natural cure, which it would want to switch out anyways which heals his status.

Hopefully that made sense ._.
True, forgot about that. Well, at least you can then go to a phazer such as Heatran after getting rid of Magic Bounce, but you are right, Natural Cure makes this strategy too gimmicky.

True, forgot about that. Well, at least you can then go to a phazer such as Heatran after getting rid of Magic Bounce, but you are right, Natural Cure makes this strategy too gimmicky.
You could keep a very similar moveset, but use cresselia instead of chansey. Both perform similar roles anyway.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
You could keep a very similar moveset, but use cresselia instead of chansey. Both perform similar roles anyway.
Cresselia doesn't take that well +1 Shadow Ball though, and has only 8 PPs of Moonlight, so losing Leftovers sucks, and trying to Toxic stall won't get you very far.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Honestly I wouldn't use that set even if you weren't giving MSableye Natural Cure. To begin with, you change Chansey's roll as a cleric in to a Toxic spreader, despite the fact most Steel-types in the tier have no problem switching in to Chansey. Second, you're relying on the fact that your opponent won't switch out after being Skill Swapped. Not to mention, if Sableye switches in to Skill Swap pre-Mega, doesn't it still get Magic Bounce on Mega Evolution? In the long run you're just better off just running Clefable, or if you really need a lure, there's things like Dazzling Gleam Mew and offensive Mega Slowbro that can really screw it over.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean if you're using Chansey/Blissey with the intent to use Skill Swap, you should just use Serene Grace (Or Healer since it's even less useful for the opp), and then Sableye et al can't remove your status by switching out.

I don't support the set, but at least do it right, if you're gonna do it.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 30 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Banded Heracross is phenomenal for breaking down defensive cores thanks to its dual STABs, high base Attack stat and access to Knock Off and Toxic.
252/252+ Mega Slowbro, 252/252+ Mega Sableye, 252/252+ Skarmory, Bulky Dragon Dance/WoW Mega Charizard X, 248/136+ Mandibuzz, 252/212+ Rotom Wash are all examples of defensive Pokemon that get 2HKO'd with ease by either Close Combat or Megahorn.
The combination of Knock Off and Toxic allow Heracross to wear down Pokemon that it normally would not be able to. Physically Defensive Clefable and Landorus-Therian are two popular examples. Both can switch in on Banded Heracross and gain an advantage in the 1v1 match-up. However, with Knock Off/Toxic, Banded Heracross can either knock off their Leftovers, crippling their passive recovery (even moreso for Landorus-T), or place a Toxic status on them and cut their efficiency in walling offensive Pokemon

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's not technically my own set but it is crazy good so posting it anyways...

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Magnet Rise

First of all, Klefki is really effective in this metagame. The ability to cripple faster mons with a TWave in addition to serving as a check to Pokemon like Greninja and Latios with its very high special bulk give it ample opportunity to set up Spikes, which can truly be devastating in this metagame. The trick to this set is Magnet Rise, which allows Klefki to set up Spikes on threats such as Landorus-I, Landorus-T, and Mamoswine that would be enormous threats to it otherwise. Using these common Ground-type Pokemon, especially Landorus-T, as Spikes fodder amplifies the effectiveness of Klefki greatly because these are its normal switch-ins and Pokemon that are designated to force it out.

jpw234

Catastrophic Event Specialist

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Substitute

I'm not really sure what the standard Tentacruel set is at the moment so it's hard to say how different this is, but I haven't seen anybody running Substitute yet. Substitute is huge against the current makeup of typical Mega-Sableye hazard-stacking stall teams. You can Sub as they switch in Mega-Sableye to block your spin, and proceed to force it out with Acid Spray/Scald burns and spin as necessary. Substitute blocks Sableye's Will-O-Wisp, Scald and Lava Plume burns from Tentacruel/Heatran, Ferrothorn Leech Seeds, and much more, meaning that Tentacruel can last much longer without getting worn down. Given that hazard control is so critical in this matchup it's definitely worth the slot, particularly if its paired with some Wish support elsewhere on your team.

Clone

Free Gliscor
Double posting because new set:

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Smack Down

When using a team of mine, I noticed how annoying Magnet Keys was for it thanks to Spikes, T-Wave, and the ability to use Lando as set up bait (thanks Ben gay ;_;). So I decided that instead of running Stone Edge to try out Smack Down, just for fun. And it turns out that it's actually not bad. Aside from hitting Magkeys, it also has utility in hitting other common Lando T switch ins such as Rotom W, opposing Lando-T, and Skarmory. From there you're able to hit them with a strong Earthquake instead of being forced out. For example Skarmory and Rotom both lose after a little prior damage, while opposing Lando T actually lose since they have to rely on SE / Knock Off while you can spam earthquake against them. It's a cool lure set that has utility in hitting many of Landos common switch ins at the cost of 'countering' birds (even tho Pinsir and talon both are 2HKOed by smack down) so I don't see much opportunity cost in running it, as it can actually relieve the pressure on teammates.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows

Whimsicott @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Memento
- Tailwind / Stun Spore / Trick / Taunt

So, i was looking for a pivot on my offensive teams, particularly one that could somehow handle Mega Slowbro, a Pokemon that gave trouble to most of my offensive teams when it was used on a good team, as checks such as Electric-types are easy to wear down with Scald. I also wanted a good safety net for all the scary sweepers and cleaners that are everywhere and can sweep offensive teams in a heartbeat. Finally, i wanted a Pokemon that could facilitate my win con's sweep, by allowing it to set up easier, as there are many amazing cleaners in OU that find it hard to set up against offensive teams, but once they do they clean house, such as BD Azumarill, SD Mega Absol, Rock Polish Mega Diancie, SD Weavile, Jolly DD Mega Charizard X, SD Lucario, and many more.

Enter Whimsicott! Thanks to Lagging Tail U-turn, Whimsicott can switch into Mega Slowbro easily, lock it into a move, and use a slow U-turn to bring in your hard hitter safely in, without fear of Scald burns. Same goes with Mega Sableye, which likes to spread burns to wear down checks and counters, Whimsi brings in a teammate in for free without the fear of a burn, such as Azumarill, offensive DD Mega Altaria, or Mega Lopunny. Watch out for Knock Off though, because without Lagging Tail you have no slow U-turns. Moving on, Whimsicott checks many problematic Pokemon to offensive teams, such as Garchomp, Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, Mega Sceptile, DD Mega Altaria, BD Azumarill, Rotom-W, CM Mega Latias, Mega Medicham, Mega Swampert, Scarf Landorus-T, Scarf Keldeo, Specs Kingdra, and the list goes on, and either locks them in a harmless move with Encore if they stay in, or grabs momentum with U-turn as they switch out. Put in the utility of Memento and a speed control move, or Taunt if you have Stealth Rock weak teammates, and you have a really useful offensive utility Pokemon for HO teams.

Tailwind is nice because it is really good against offensive teams, which struggle to deal with hard hitters under Tailwind, while also allowing your teammates to revenge kill every single Speed threat. Stun Spore and Trick are more permanent solutions for problematic Pokemon, while Stun Spore also gives Whimsi a handy 25% chance to survive after paralyzing the threat and switch out if you want to save it, or suicide with Memento to make setting up even easier. Trick works on every non-Mega Pokemon though, so it's useful if your team has troubles with Electric-types.

A specially defensive spread is perfectly viable to take on better the likes of Keldeo, Omastar, Kingdra, Raikou, Thundurus, etc, but physically defensive covers more important threats so it's overall the best spread. As for teammates, just stack up on potent set up sweepers that have good synergy between Whimsi and themselves. For example, Whimsicott attracts U-turn users, Fire-types, and Steel-types, so pair it with Pokemon that can take advantage of these Pokemon with or without Memento. Not the best advice i know, but Whimsi is fairly easy to teambuild around, so don't be afraid to experiment with all kinds of weird stuff.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Not too much to say, I spent a lot of time thinking of a creative way to weaken keldeo and chesnaught(also heracross and conkeldurr to a lesser extent) for my sharpedo sweeps(also helps with mega gyara) and all I came up with was the standard bisharp spread but for his final move I innovated greatly(sarcasm) and put on aerial ace. I remember some psycho cut set back in megavenu's hayday, but I havent seen this set yet for chesnaught, who is rising in popularity. This is one of the better lures in the game as keldeo and chensaught(or just fighting types in general) are usually a teams best answer to bisharp, and they wont hesitate to switch them in. But yeah thats basically it, its a good lure and then is still just standard bisharp so he will always be pulling his weight. Here are the calcs:

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 234-276 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 200-237 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 190-226 (54.1 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 322-385 (103.5 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It may not seem like much damage, but you could also just knock off first turn so that next time they may have taken more damage from hazards, chip damage, etc, and the 50% chunk will be more noticeable then. Its pretty specific lure but if you have problem pesky fighting types, then go ahead and give it a go.

Edit: Fsr the calcs didnt have LO, so I just updated them.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability : Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

Credits to my buddy Poek97 for showing me this set. I remember Taunt+WoW Talonflame being a fantastic stallbreaker back in XY. Unfortunately, Mega-Sableye happened, and like pretty much every other stallbreaker, Taunt+Wisp Talonflame is stopped cold by it, and therefore is quite a bit worse in ORAS as a result.
Enter Taunt SD Talon. Not only is this set not countered by Sableye, it actually counters it. Now, there is a Taunt Bulk Up set that dates back to XY, but this set doesn't actually beat Sableye since it can't boost fast enough to reliably KO it both Brave Bird before getting KO'd by Shadow Ball (if yu're at +2 and Sableye is at +3, you aren't guaranteed to 2HKO it while it always 2HKOs you back with BB recoil. It's close, but if it CMs on the switch you're usually losing). But with SD, it just needs 2 turns to guarantee a 2HKO, so Sableye can't catch up in time. The fact that it's one of the few Taunters that can get past Sableye already gives it a pretty good niche. It also stallbreaks quite well in general, Taunt lets it set up over common Stall Pokemon such as Chesnaught, Clefable Skarmory, Chansey, Ferrothorn, most Heatran, Hippowdon without a Rock move, Altaria, Alomomola (lol Scald does 20%) and though it is stopped by Slowbro, it's not like Wisp Talon could do anything about it either. Though Will-O-Wisp does have nice utility and lets you deal with Bisharp and Scizor better, when it comes to pure stallbreaking it isn't all that necessary, so this set is in fact a lot better against stall. It's a pretty solid bulky win condition for balance and stall which, unlike the Bulk Up variant, doesn't take an eternity to set up and can get pretty scary pretty fast.

Last edited:

Diggersby @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Return / Quick Attack
- Spikes

Diggersby is really threatening at the moment, it's even harder to switch into than before and its impeccable coverage with just its high-powered STAB moves is very useful right now. However, I wanted to explore some new options for Diggersby. I recall a Spikes set being posted by Jukain I believe it was a while back and I thought it was really cool; I even used it in STABmons! That's where the inspiration for this set comes in! With this set, Diggersby takes on the role of a powerful lead that can pressure the opponent and set Spikes. Out of every Defog user, Diggersby can not muscle past Skarmory, otherwise Diggersby is able to put this pressure and prevent Defog. Fairly simple set, just set Spikes, Swords Dance, then take something down with it. Very neat and underrated set that I could see getting more usage possibly~!

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 172 (SpD/Def) / 84 Spe
Careful / Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Roost

This set is really customizable and can pretty much be used however you like. Both specially defensive and physically defensive versions are viable depending on what your team needs covered. Anyways the point of this set is SD, which is a really good option on Gliscor. It's actually surprisingly difficult to deal with given that Gliscor is a difficult Pokemon to threaten/take out in general and moreover prevents Mega Sableye from taking advantage of it, with SpD variants serving as a full counter. The ability to threaten Mega Sableye is absolutely huge for Gliscor because Mega Sableye makes Taunt sets completely useless against stall. Knock Off is very useful because otherwise you have no ability to damage non-grounded Pokemon which is kinda silly, but SD Pass is insanely good with the right partners; Mega Metagross is an excellent example of this. Anyways, SD is an underrated option on Gliscor that is especially useful in this Mega Sableye-dominated metagame and should be used more :]

After I got reqs for that suspect I started messing around, using weird teams and odd sets. I think I found two that could actually be good given the right team support.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 36 SpD / 184 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Like I said I was pretty bored after the suspect so I just started messing around and somehow I came up with bulk up and substitute on lando-t. I originally was going to use the double dance set, but I then I saw that he got bulk up and thought that it could be a cool win condition. The evs are pretty specific but I started with just max hp and atk, then I realized that outspeeding breloom was nice, and being able to live an unboosted sableyes shadow ball/dark pulse would also be appreciated, so thats what these evs do, while focusing mainly on bulk and then dumping the rest in atk. This is suppose to take advantage of his relatively good typing, only really needing to eliminate a few pokemon before he can start setting up on a decent enough portion of the meta, since physical attackers are far more common. I used this set a good bit and was able to sweep way more than I expected, maybe because it is such an unexpected set, or maybe its just good either way I thought I might as well post it up here to see what you guys think.

Secondly'

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Toxic
- Foul Play

This is similar to the other set in that it is a surprise win condition, most people expect this to be a defogger, so they may switch something like bisharp in only to be turned into setup fodder, also this set is meant to take advantage of how physical this meta is. Any physical attacker that wants to try and take this thing on simply has to use boosting moves, whether it be SD or DD, either way they usually cant keep up and are only increasing the power of foul play. The combination of iron defense and foul play is perfect and helps mandibuzz take out really offensive tings faster than just toxic stalling. But toxic stalling is typically his main function, I havent used this set too much, but I have found it useful in certain situations once the annoying faries and electric types are eliminated. I mean this set doesnt even really fear ice types once it has a iron defense up because it can easily tank any physical move once it gets to +2, so things like mamoswine and weavile arent even that threatening.

So yeah these are slightly more gimmicky than usual but I used them plenty, they were effective, and they are certainly unusual enough to at least catch your opponent off guard. Also no one posts in this sub forum so I might as well at least try to get people to tell me how bad I am :p, but anyway here they are let me know what you think.

Clone

Free Gliscor

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof / Overgrow
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

Ok so the main reason why I'm posting this is because I've seen too many people in the OU room call this set shit, when it's not. Is it the best set out there? No. Is it fun? Hell yeah it is. It's a fun set that's able to set up on a lot of things, and score quite a few kills when played right. He gets a free switch into things like ferro and and bulky waters (minus Slowbro), and from there gets up a free sub. Then BD up, activate the salac Berry, and proceed to get kills with Drain punch and Seed Bomb. It's a fun set that works well when used right so I feel it belongs here. And no I did not create the set; I'm just posting it here so people can stop calling it bad.

Also Overgrow can be used to get certain KOes with Seed Bomb if that's appealing to anyone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)