Creative Movesets (GBU) [Read the OP]

Jibaku gave me clearance to make this thread.

Welcome to the Creative Movesets thread (GBU version)!

Now you may be thinking "Isn't there already a thread for this?" The answer: Yes. The difference, however, is that this one is specifically for Flat/Random Battles, as opposed to 6 v.6 battles; the two play very differently. Now, that's not to say that what works in 6 v.6 won't work in Flat Battles, but they are still able to play very differently, as you can't support a specific set as easily with other Pokemon since you're limited to 3 Pokes (Singles) or 4 Pokes (Doubles and Rotations).

Now onto the content. I'm sure most of you know the drill; post unorthodox, uncommon, gimmick*, etc. etc. sets. Also note that there's a fine line between "Creative" and "Underused" (Ex: Sub-Disable Gengar). Try to post your own sets, or ones that you've seen other randoms use; don't repeat one that's on an analysis or something of the sort.

* - I myself feed off of gimmicks, however, you MUST be able to back up your claims of saying that the set works well, be it through multiple (quality) battle videos or past experiences in random battles (NOT 6 v.6). I don't want this thread to be cluttered with crap like Sub-Punch Chansey.

May as well be worth mentioning, as I did in the other Creative set, that sets incorporating OHKO and Evasion are viable when it comes to the GBU. That's kinda obvious, but still..

Omg, Random Matchup subforum :D Thanks to whoever set this up.

Anyway, I saw this set in action when I was watching Battle Videos yesterday.

Crustle @ Red Card
EVs and nature: No idea. Probably max hp / max def.
~ Counter
~ X-Scissor
~ ???
~ ???

It managed to survive a boosted physical hit, then the Red Card activated and brought another Pokemon in, which was promptly OHKOed by Counter. It was pretty damn amusing, but I'm not sure how viable it might be in a long run.

I used to run something similar to that;

Sawk @Red Card
Sturdy
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-EQ
-Payback (Couldn't think of anything else...)

Usually I'd sent it out first, then just CC whatever came in; it wasn't the BEST strategy known to man, but it usually got the job done and, if nothing else, made for some good scouting.

Here's an interesting set I battled:
Kangaskhan @ Eject Button
Giga Impact

Here's the gimmick: Giga Impact, and if the opponent survives, and attacks, the Eject Button switches you out so you don't waste a turn. IDK what happens if they get OHKO'd, though.

One set that fucked me up the other day was:

Swallot @ red card
-Stockpile
-toxic
-venoshock
-Rest

The set is about stockpiling once or twice, in order to survive an SE move and force a switch. He kept stockpiling and poisoned my whole team. Venoshock gets double the power when the opponent is poisoned, and rest is to heal off at low health. This set completely destroyed me!

One set that fucked me up the other day was:

Swallot @ red card
-Stockpile
-toxic
-venoshock
-Rest

The set is about stockpiling once or twice, in order to survive an SE move and force a switch. He kept stockpiling and poisoned my whole team. Venoshock gets double the power when the opponent is poisoned, and rest is to heal off at low health. This set completely destroyed me!
Lol @ mono-Poison offense - and why would he use Red Card? Black Sludge (since they likely already have a Lefties Poké) would be better..

Lol @ mono-Poison offense - and why would he use Red Card? Black Sludge (since they likely already have a Lefties Poké) would be better..
I don't know why he chose this set, but I'm pretty sure it screwed me up probably because I was using no steel pokemons in that battle....

I use this Gengar for single battle.

@Focus Sash
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Icy Wind
Destiny Bond
252spatk/252spd

Destiny Bond used to surprise a lot of people but I notice that people started to catch on. Anyway, I use Icy Wind instead of Focus Blast because the speed drop is quite nice and I can make sure destiny bond goes first :P

I might replace thunderbolt with focus blast but the accuracy turns me off.

I think I am going to experiment tailwind in single battle. I hate Volcarona and sashed Cloyster. With only 3 pokemon in a battle, it's pretty hard to cover those two big threats. How do you guys deal with them?

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I use this Gengar for single battle.

@Focus Sash
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Icy Wind
Destiny Bond
252spatk/252spd

Destiny Bond used to surprise a lot of people but I notice that people started to catch on. Anyway, I use Icy Wind instead of Focus Blast because the speed drop is quite nice and I can make sure destiny bond goes first :P

I might replace thunderbolt with focus blast but the accuracy turns me off.

I think I am going to experiment tailwind in single battle. I hate Volcarona and sashed Cloyster. With only 3 pokemon in a battle, it's pretty hard to cover those two big threats. How do you guys deal with them?
use your own sashed mon and play accordingly. thats sorta what 3 on 3 is about as opposed to the traditional 6 on 6. you are using the pokemon to its fullest in 3 vs. 3.

i tend to go with sashed thundurus/weather mon and go from there.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Unfortunately you can't block Cloyster with Focus Sash =(

For those two I have a Sashed Specially Defensive Tyranitar (Stone Edge/Crunch/Fire Blast/Superpower. Considering Ice Beam > Fire Blast). Actually, TTar is specially defensive for other reasons (Lati@s, mainly), and the Sash is there for emergency physical situations which actually happen a lot. Sandstorm breaks Cloyster's Sash so it can't really set up (on the other hand this still limits what Pokemon I could bring in to prevent disaster), and TTar survives +1 Bug Buzz and OHKOes Volcarona.

Anyways, just so this post isnt pointless, here are a few sets that I have seen that differ from what we're used to. They're not exactly creative though keep in mind, but they may be overlooked.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Download
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Double Team
- Recover

I guess just avoid Toxic like plague? Just DT with those insane defenses (while making HJK users more likely to kill themselves), Charge Beam whenever ready.

Chansey @ Eviolite
- Substitute
- Minimize
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss / Toxic

Same concept, except even harder to kill (but at the same time often takes longer to kill stuff with)

I ran into more..."interesting" gimmicks than these but they usually fail against me anyways I forget to keep track of them (okay I remembered facing a SDef Herbivore Azumarill at one point but that's kind of pretty bad anyways so I'll leave that to your imagination). Just beware of random Counters/MCs/Metal Bursts/Final Gambits.

Anyways we're kind of getting off topic so lets move general singles troubles and such back to the main thread :)

Rotom H
@flame orb
Nature:???
Evs:???
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power(ice)
-Trick
-Overheat

I dont know much about the rotom forms other then the overused washing machine, so I dont really know if its all that creative, i just got completly raped by someone using it so i thought it might be of some use.

The BEST thing ever is Anti-Lead Counter Lucario. 'nuff said =3

Lucario @Focus Sash
LONELY
[INNER FOCUS]
EV's: 255 atk, 255 speed
IV's: 0 DEF (optional 0HP)
-CLose Combat
-Crunch
-ExtremeSpeed
-Counter

CC + Crunch gets perfect neutrality. EE kills sashers. Counter is the best. With 0 def, lonely, and 1 HP remaining, it gets Max Power and is totally overkill =P.
I've been using it since early DP fun3v3 battles =D

One more to contribute:
Accelgor used Final Gambit!
Both Accelgor and my Eelektross fainted.

Blissey, comes and uses Copycat, and of course, followed 300+ HP damage to my Haxorus.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Download
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam
- Double Team
- Recover

Chansey @ Eviolite
- Substitute
- Minimize
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss / Toxic
urghhh these two sets are the most difficult and annoying things to kill. debating bringing a sashed psych up user hehe

anyways, I've heard a lot about this certain style of Hitmontop that utilizes Eject Button to get 2 uses of Fake Out and Intimidate without wasting a turn switching (probably suited better for double battles), and I like it a lot:

Hitmontop @ Eject Button
Fake Out / Mach Punch / Sucker Punch / Detect
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 whatever

Intimidate helps against Tornadus etc, and even getting hit by a resisted Rock Slide gives a chance for top to come out again later at near max health. Eject button also helps against other fake out users if you just want to purposefully switch out.

urghhh these two sets are the most difficult and annoying things to kill. debating bringing a sashed psych up user hehe

anyways, I've heard a lot about this certain style of Hitmontop that utilizes Eject Button to get 2 uses of Fake Out and Intimidate without wasting a turn switching (probably suited better for double battles), and I like it a lot:

Hitmontop @ Eject Button
Fake Out / Mach Punch / Sucker Punch / Detect
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 whatever

Intimidate helps against Tornadus etc, and even getting hit by a resisted Rock Slide gives a chance for top to come out again later at near max health. Eject button also helps against other fake out users if you just want to purposefully switch out.
I wish SOME people respected the Evasion Clause, even if they do not use Smogon.

I wish SOME people respected the Evasion Clause, even if they do not use Smogon.
I respect the Sleep Clause, but I do use Double Team P-2 sometimes.

Also, about the Hitmontop set, it's not really creative, it's more like the standard set for 'Top..

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
There is no reason anyone *has* to respect the Evasion Clause. The Evasion Clause is Smogon-exclusive and chances are a good portion of the playing population don't give a flying fladoodle about Smogon's rules. Some good players from the other side of the world may not even know what Smogon is.

There is no reason anyone *has* to respect the Evasion Clause. The Evasion Clause is Smogon-exclusive and chances are a good portion of the playing population don't give a flying fladoodle about Smogon's rules. Some good players from the other side of the world may not even know what Smogon is.
True that. Although I don't ever remember a time using Double Team or Minimize, or Moody for that matter.

I grabbed a cookie from the jar. :D

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
nice use of fladoodle, completely agree with this. Might I add that evasion is not as common simply because it takes to long to set up without really doing anything attacking wise (and once the user has set up evasion, rarely has the power to KO anything)
I respect the Sleep Clause, but I do use Double Team P-2 sometimes.

Also, about the Hitmontop set, it's not really creative, it's more like the standard set for 'Top..
standard top has technician with a life orb to get way more KOes. this is a different item, ability, and strategy in general! I hope that one day you can make a well thought-out and properly researched post.

I'm not sure at what point something ceases to be creative and becomes standard, so I'll meet y'all halfway and say it's a little bit of both. It's a good use of a seldom used item while being on probably the current best Pokemon to have it on (Scrafty will change that eventually, unless it turns out to be a DW male-only), but it isn't especially uncommon, as some people have mentioned seeing it around a bunch of JP teams elsewhere.

I'm not really sure if this is creative but say what you guys think...
LickiLicky @Choice Scarf
Cloud Nine
Naive/Hasty
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 Atk / 252 Speed
-Power Whip
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Focus Blast
This set allows all weather threats switch or die, since this set covers all Ninetales, Politoed, Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Abomasnow you see on random matchup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)