Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit Me (Blastoise) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Mirror Coat

This is a set i run in rain to lure thunderbolts out and revenge kill. Stoise can take pretty much anything on the chin with this set. Just predict a special move, and mirror coat to revengekill

Latios, Latias and even Hydreigon resist this ENITRE set.
To be fair, Hydreigon pretty much resists anything Delphox can do outside of Hidden Power. Although, I do think Shadow Ball is more of an ideal move on it for hitting the twins.
Bold Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Mirror Coat

This is a set i run in rain to lure thunderbolts out and revenge kill. Stoise can take pretty much anything on the chin with this set. Just predict a special move, and mirror coat to revengekill
Not sure if it's 100% worth using this over Megastoise, though it sounds pretty good in theory. It might have a different niche, at least.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 244 HP / 12 Atk
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Phantom Force

This thing is stally. Phantom Force and Curse probably sound like gimmicks, but the set is effective. The initial idea was actually to spread burns around, but Trevenant actually just passively kills things.
Substitute is the go-to move after you switch it in and force something out. Trevenant doesn't really like status, with toxic probably being the worst (though it can still live quite a bit). Harvest-sitrus also means it can sub for a very long time.
Max SDef investment makes it quite bulky on the special side, and will-o-wisp takes care of most physical attackers.
Curse hits anything, and with harvest sitrus the HP can be healed quite quickly.
Phantom Force is great. It's essentially a protect on one turn, then a STAB attack on the second. This means 3 things:
1. Extra 25% damage done to opponent from curse.
2. Extra 12.5% damage done to opponent from WoW.
3. 50% chance to harvest a sitrus berry if you don't already have one.
Since curse + will-o-wisp forces a lot of switches, phantom force doesn't give as many "free set-up" turns if used correctly.
This set works well in sandstorm as well as sun. With sandstorm, the HP can actually gradually go down to 50% (so you're not stuck at 51% or something). It also adds to the passive damage, for a possible 43.75% damage in one turn.

Here's an example: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-61566526
The opponent is pretty bad (leech seed on a grass type what?) but it does show Trevenant's stalliness. I'll try to find better ones.
And this set has gotten me to high 1800's (peaked 1900's) so it can't be terrible.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I tested this:

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn
- Fury Cutter
- Iron Head
- Defog/Superpower/Sleep Talk

Fury Cutter was boosted to 40 base this generation, and maxes out at 160 base on turn 3. The idea is to SPAM U-Turn until Scizor is within Swarm range (not difficult with entry hazards etc.). Then, opportunistically (i.e. revenging something on low HP), Scizor can attempt a Fury Cutter sweep. With Swarm and STAB, turn 1 is 90 effective power, turn 2 is 180, and then it's 360 thereafter.

It seemed fun in principle, but everything and its mother resists Bug. I haven't given up on Fury Cutter though; I'll probably try something similar with Scyther in lower tiers.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 244 HP / 12 Atk
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Phantom Force

This thing is stally. Phantom Force and Curse probably sound like gimmicks, but the set is effective. The initial idea was actually to spread burns around, but Trevenant actually just passively kills things.
Substitute is the go-to move after you switch it in and force something out. Trevenant doesn't really like status, with toxic probably being the worst (though it can still live quite a bit). Harvest-sitrus also means it can sub for a very long time.
Max SDef investment makes it quite bulky on the special side, and will-o-wisp takes care of most physical attackers.
Curse hits anything, and with harvest sitrus the HP can be healed quite quickly.
Phantom Force is great. It's essentially a protect on one turn, then a STAB attack on the second. This means 3 things:
1. Extra 25% damage done to opponent from curse.
2. Extra 12.5% damage done to opponent from WoW.
3. 50% chance to harvest a sitrus berry if you don't already have one.
Since curse + will-o-wisp forces a lot of switches, phantom force doesn't give as many "free set-up" turns if used correctly.
This set works well in sandstorm as well as sun. With sandstorm, the HP can actually gradually go down to 50% (so you're not stuck at 51% or something). It also adds to the passive damage, for a possible 43.75% damage in one turn.

Here's an example: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-61566526
The opponent is pretty bad (leech seed on a grass type what?) but it does show Trevenant's stalliness. I'll try to find better ones.
And this set has gotten me to high 1800's (peaked 1900's) so it can't be terrible.
I use a variant of this set, but instead of sitruss and sub, i usse restlum/resto chesto. I prefer it to sitrus on trevenant, personally

When using the standard sword dance aegislash, I got tired of being checked by ground types that can take my hits and spam earthquake. I loved using stall Gliscor last gen and wondered if a similar set would work for dealing with annoying counters for Aegislash.
Aegislash @ leftovers
Impish nature, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
-Kings Shield
-Substitute
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword

While not running toxic means huge reliance on T spikes, this set can stall off attacks like nobody's business, fire off sacred swords when safe behind a substitute, and finish them off with shadow sneak. This set only works because 99% of Aegislashes are pretty much the same buff then sweep sets, but even when they know its a stall set, it can't be countered by steels because of how strong sacred sword is, and its harder to stall break because of its typing. Also Aegislash is a natural spin blocker (Defog still isn't that common, so T spikes will reliably stay on).

He still has no real way to deal with flyers and poisons, and WoW can be annoying if substitute break. Obviously this guy hates Rotom-H with its levitate, access to WoW and Twave, and STAB SE moves. Because of these flaws, I doubt StallSlash will become popular, but it kicks butt right now and though it'll never sweep an entire team like regular Aegislash can, it consistently beats 2 or 3 foes which is why I think it qualifies for this thread.

Here is a Talonflame set that for some reason is looked down upon.
Talonflame Leftovers
Gale Wings
Naive Nature
252 Att./ 4 Spatk / 252 Spe
-Brave Bird (acrobatics if flying gem is possible)
-FIRE BLAST
-Roost
-Will o Wisp

This Talonflame isn't meant to sweep, but to help out my team. It has been working so well for my team but people are shunning it. Fire blast is their biggest issue. Fire blast may be weaker, it may be less accurate, but it does not come with that recoil damage flare blitz provides. It also doesn't get lowered by intimidate so he can at least deal a bit more damage against Lando-T on the switch in. Most pokemon flare blitz preys on (Forretress, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Scizor, even avalugg) take the same if not more damage from fire blast without the recoil damage. Roost is for showing off your longevity, but can only be useful in conjunction with WoW, which is useful for spreading extra damage as well as help sweepers set up. I don't have any videos, but if you believe me, Fire Blast OHKOed a mega scizor twice, prevented talonflame from dying to ferrothorn, and even took out a rough skin+rocky helmet garchomp when they were both at around 10% health which stopped a tie from happening (the scizor and garchomp scenario happened in the same match). Im just saying, if you want a talonflame to survive, run this set, take advantage that he is that fastest WoW bar pranksters in the game. And it was the spreading of burns that allowed my team to be successful. nature and EVs can be changed though, that was what i was currently using.
Overheat>Fire Blast for mixed Talonflame sets, the extra power actually gets you kills and does damage. Also you are not going to be spamming it, and if you are it'll be on something you activated Sturdy on. Considering that the rest of your set is just physical it really makes sense.

Also normal Talonflame can survive long too, you just have to play REALLY well with it (IE: No one has figured out how yet, probably since everyone is just running a Rock-type or Rotom-W).

With this set you may want to just invest enough speed to take down what you want with Overheat, and leave a lot in bulk, so you can actually survive something after you Will-O-Wisp. For example, the five Pokemon you mentioned need ZERO speed EVs to be outsped.

Smeargle @ Power Herb
Timid/Jolly
252 HP 252 Spe
Geomancy
Substitute
Spore
Baton Pass
A Smeargle without its focus sash is generally a dead smeargle. What sorts of pokemon (particularly leads) can this guy actually function against? It seems that this set is much more likely to be a dead weight than, say, SmashPass or some sort of Hazards Lead.

Kingdra @ scope lens
252+ spa/252 spe (modest nature)
Ability:Sniper
Focus energy
Agility/Substitute
Draco meteor
Hydro Pump

Also posted this in the critical hits thread, but this could be interesting set for kingdra. With sniper multiplying crits to 2.25x and crits inherently ignoring stat drops, kingdra can spam ultra-powered draco meteors to his hearts content after a focus energy. Hydro pump is so that it doesn't get walled completely by fairies. After testing on the Pokemon showdown simulator I can confirm that the crit rates have not been changed yet to reflect the new rates, specifically the 100% crit rate at stage 3.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 60 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Taunt

"If you're going to set up, just use Swords Dance which is faster and 'more efficient'!"
"Why use Taunt on such a frail Pokemon at all?"

These are the thoughts that echo the minds of skeptics when they first lay their eyes on this set. All will be explained.

Yes, setting up Swords Dance leads to a faster sweep, but you have to admit it is a pretty strenuous task trying to set up at all, what with the risk of too much damage and status which can easily interrupt a sweep, while Bulk Up + Taunt Talonflame can mitigate these issues. Pokemon that would look like decent setup fodder, like physical Aegislash, Scizor, SubToxic Gliscor, and Ferrothorn, all pack moves which can make it very difficult to go for the sweep, like King's Shield, Swords Dance, Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Leech Seed. Taunt can stop all of these, leaving Talonflame to Bulk Up with great ease.

What's that, no Fire move? How is it going to get past Aegislash? Well, since Taunt prevents King's Shield, it cannot switch back to Shield Stance the moment it attacks, so it is stuck in its vulnerable Blade Stance, allowing +2 Brave Bird to easily 2HKO. Aegislash on the other hand is stuck with a weak unboosted Shadow Sneak, which is eventually outdamaged by a NVE Sacred Sword as the Defense boosts rack up (Sacred Sword ignores the defense boosts). Meanwhile, Scizor and Ferrothorn can't really scratch you after Taunt, while you turn the tables on Gliscor completely. Swords Dance can still be used, but Bulk Up pairs well with Roost, and the biggest advantage is that Talonflame becomes more resistant to priority: Extremespeed, opposing Talonflame Brave Birds, Water Shurikens (lol) would do noticeably less damage to you, which is always a good thing when it comes to sweeping; you can even buy more turns via Roost.

Last edited:

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Crunch / Payback
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch (Gen 4 Tutor)
- Defog (Gen 4 HM)

Skuntank gained absolutely nothing from gen 6 as Play Rough is incompatible with the most notable moves it has but the way the new metagame is forming has given Skuntank a pair of important new niches. The first and biggest is being an effective check to Mega Gengar. Skuntank resists both Shadow Ball & Sludge Wave while taking less than 50% from Timid Focus Blast. Pursuit prevents escape, Crunch deals with obvious Disable variants, and Sucker Punch just lets Skuntank deal some extra damage when its health is too low to take a hit which can work wonderfully in dragging down physical attackers with Aftermath. Payback is more powerful than Crunch but requires Skuntank to move last, which isn't happening against the slower ghosts like Jellicent & Trevenant but does pack an extra bite for Celebi, Jirachi, and Espeon. Defog provides Skuntank's 2nd niche as a Stealth Rock-neutral pseudo-Rapid Spinner / Screen-remover and rounds out the move set quite nicely. In fact, Skuntank's ability to wall most common Psychic-types in OU allows Skuntank a fair amount of time to use Defog to remove hazards as well as any Reflect or Light Screens that said Psychic-type may want to set up.

Other options include a Sassy nature set running Fire Blast over Sucker Punch, which lets Skuntank best Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory while ridding the field of their hazards as well. Taunt can really help against Jellicent, Trevenant, & Gourgeist, but isn't quite as useful as Sucker Punch in most battles. Defog is an absolute must, otherwise Skuntank is outclassed by Assault Vest Scizor.

If you play to Skuntank's strengths, it will keep a large number of threats from doing anything meaningful such as Deoxys, Deoxys-S, Gengar, Mega Gengar, Alakazam, Espeon, Forretress, and Klefki. It has certainly earned its spot on my team and maybe it will for yours as well.

Gothitelle has some tricks on this generation. I thought about 3 or 4 different builds but I'd like to discuss this one specifically:

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag (Now she can be a female trapper, lol)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature

- Dark Pulse (Egg move)
- Flatter (Lvl 28)
- Psych Up (TM 77)
- Thunder Wave (TM 73)

Designed as physical wall, intended to kill physical aggressors without taunt. It doesn't end in there. She is a pretty annoyer with Thunder Wave and Flatter, which makes one of my favorite combinations in Pokemon: Parafusion xD
Since it is made against physical sweepers, increasing their special attack will be useless for them, but not for you... Psych Up after 2 or 3 flatters, and you will have +6 special attack, and now Dark Pulse is a real menace out there. I like Dark Pulse since there is no dark immunity out there (not the case with Psychic or Psyshock), so you can effectively hit any pokemon you face later. I may say you can OHKO or 2HKO after your first victim. I haven't tested the build yet, but I'm really looking forward for this. Any feedback or observation?

Gothitelle has some tricks on this generation. I thought about 3 or 4 different builds but I'd like to discuss this one specifically:

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag (Now she can be a female trapper, lol)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature

- Dark Pulse (Egg move)
- Flatter (Lvl 28)
- Psych Up (TM 77)
- Thunder Wave (TM 73)

Designed as physical wall, intended to kill physical aggressors without taunt. It doesn't end in there. She is a pretty annoyer with Thunder Wave and Flatter, which makes one of my favorite combinations in Pokemon: Parafusion xD
Since it is made against physical sweepers, increasing their special attack will be useless for them, but not for you... Psych Up after 2 or 3 flatters, and you will have +6 special attack, and now Dark Pulse is a real menace out there. I like Dark Pulse since there is no dark immunity out there (not the case with Psychic or Psyshock), so you can effectively hit any pokemon you face later. I may say you can OHKO or 2HKO after your first victim. I haven't tested the build yet, but I'm really looking forward for this. Any feedback or observation?
I like this set, but I have 1 question. What does dark pulse do that shadow ball doesn't? There aren't that many normal type threats and I think shadow ball's the better option for dealing with fighting types. I understand if you don't want to get walled by a single type, but the trade of is worth considering

I like this set, but I have 1 question. What does dark pulse do that shadow ball doesn't? There aren't that many normal type threats and I think shadow ball's the better option for dealing with fighting types. I understand if you don't want to get walled by a single type, but the trade of is worth considering
It flinches :v LOL forgot to mention that. Parafuse + flinching move so you lose your friends when using this pokemon.
Well, going in serious, Shadow Ball bypasses many types, I'm aware of that, and current shifting metagame doesn't seem to welcome normals at all. I wouldn't dare to say that Shadow Ball is inferior, actually is pretty nice, it hits fighting types well, and is a nice alternative in case you already have a nice Gothitelle and don't want to breed one just to get Dark Pulse. Is just that Dark Pulse has the flinching issue, making her more stalling, which means is easier to have 70%+ life when you kill the opponent, so you get to the next one with nice hp.

It flinches :v LOL forgot to mention that. Parafuse + flinching move so you lose your friends when using this pokemon.
Well, going in serious, Shadow Ball bypasses many types, I'm aware of that, and current shifting metagame doesn't seem to welcome normals at all. I wouldn't dare to say that Shadow Ball is inferior, actually is pretty nice, it hits fighting types well, and is a nice alternative in case you already have a nice Gothitelle and don't want to breed one just to get Dark Pulse. Is just that Dark Pulse has the flinching issue, making her more stalling, which means is easier to have 70%+ life when you kill the opponent, so you get to the next one with nice hp.
all right. I'd suggest giving them both a try, Dark pulse may turn out really helpful. Let me know when you've tested it.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 60 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
"If you're goin its reg to set up, just use Swords Dance which is faster and 'more efficient'!"
"Why use Taunt on such a frail Pokemon at all?"

These are the thoughts that echo the minds of skeptics when they first lay their eyes on this set. All will be explained.

Yes, setting up Swords Dance leads to a faster sweep, but you have to admit it is a pretty strenuous task trying to set up at all, what with the risk of too much damage and status which can easily interrupt a sweep, while Bulk Up + Taunt Talonflame can mitigate these issues. Pokemon that would look like decent setup fodder, like physical Aegislash, Scizor, SubToxic Gliscor, and Ferrothorn, all pack moves which can make it very difficult to go for the sweep, like King's Shield, Swords Dance, Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Leech Seed. Taunt can stop all of these, leaving Talonflame to Bulk Up with great ease.

What's that, no Fire move? How is it going to get past Aegislash? Well, since Taunt prevents King's Shield, it cannot switch back to Shield Stance the moment it attacks, so it is stuck in its vulnerable Blade Stance, allowing +2 Brave Bird to easily 2HKO. Aegislash on the other hand is stuck with a weak unboosted Shadow Sneak, which is eventually outdamaged by a NVE Sacred Sword as the Defense boosts rack up (Sacred Sword ignores the defense boosts). Meanwhile, Scizor and Ferrothorn can't really scratch you after Taunt, while you turn the tables on Gliscor completely. Swords Dance can still be used, but Bulk Up pairs well with Roost, and the biggest advantage is that Talonflame becomes more resistant to priority: Extremespeed, opposing Talonflame Brave Birds, Water Shurikens (lol) would do noticeably less damage to you, which is always a good thing when it comes to sweeping; you can even buy more turns via Roost.
ugh i was gonna post this set soon haha.

Bold Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Mirror Coat

Won't assault vest will make your mirror coats do less damage?

"Troll" Bat (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Infiltrator
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Defog / Confusion Ray
- Hypnosis / Confusion Ray
- U Turn

I have used this as an anti-lead, and just an all around rage generator. In 5th Gen this set got me A LOT of wins by rage quit (I wasn't using Defog in 5th Gen though).

I just tried

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Infestation
- Ice Beam

I like it, especially because burns are common and freeze can happen.

Edit: This has become my normal gastrodon set, trapping pokemon that gastrodon can wall with infestation works great.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Been messing around with Exploud and have started using him as somewhat of a special-tank. Something that ends most special sweepers runs.

The set is as follows:

Exploud@ Assault Vest
252Hp/ 252 S.Def/ 4 S.Atk
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast / Flamethrower
-Boomburst
-Bulldoze

The main aim of the set is to tank special hits whilst 1-2HKOing most of the special sweepers back. One thing I have been unhappy with though is the ev spread. I was thinknig of putting slightly less in S.Def to afford it some more power, this guy can take special hits very very well though and still hit back without too much investment thanks to its very high BP Boomburst (and FireBlast) Bulldoze is a nice option too for slowing down opponents or in close speed matchups to break a sash and give you 2 attacks in a row.

I tested this:

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn
- Fury Cutter
- Iron Head
- Defog/Superpower/Sleep Talk

Fury Cutter was boosted to 40 base this generation, and maxes out at 160 base on turn 3. The idea is to SPAM U-Turn until Scizor is within Swarm range (not difficult with entry hazards etc.). Then, opportunistically (i.e. revenging something on low HP), Scizor can attempt a Fury Cutter sweep. With Swarm and STAB, turn 1 is 90 effective power, turn 2 is 180, and then it's 360 thereafter.

It seemed fun in principle, but everything and its mother resists Bug. I haven't given up on Fury Cutter though; I'll probably try something similar with Scyther in lower tiers.
You'd Probably be better off running Agility over Scarf and just attempting a straight sweep that way. You'd also be allowed more bulk. Hell you could do a double dance set at that point, SD/Agility fury cutter sweep go go go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)