Pokémon Cresselia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Cresselia - The Lunar Pokémon

X Flavor Text - "Shiny particles are released from its wings like a veil. It is said to represent the crescent moon."
Y Flavor Text - "Those who sleep holding Cresselia's feather are assured of joyful dreams. It is said to represent the crescent moon."

Pokédex Number - #488 (National) | #--- (Kalos)

Type - Base Stats - 120 HP / 70 Atk / 120 Def / 75 SAtk / 130 SDef / 85 Spe

Abilities:

Levitate: Levitate renders the user immune to Ground-type moves (except Sand Attack), Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Misty Terrain, Grassy Terrain, Electric Terrain, Arena Trap, and damage from Sky Drop. These immunities can be lost if the user is holding an Iron Ball, is under the effects of Smack Down, Gravity, or Ingrain or if the opponent has Mold Breaker, Teravolt, or Turboblaze.

Notable Moves (Bold indicates STAB):

Lunar Dance (Start, Lvl 84)
Psycho Shift (Start, Lvl 75)
Moonlight (Start, Lvl 57)
Psychic (Lvl 93, TM 29)
Moonblast (Lvl 99)
Calm Mind (TM 04)
Toxic (TM 06)
Hidden Power [Fire] (TM 10)
Light Screen (TM 16)
Reflect (TM 33)
Rest (TM 44)
Thunder Wave (TM 73)
Trick Room (TM 92)
Gravity (Transfer)
Magic Coat (Transfer)
Trick (Transfer)

General Analysis:

Cresselia is a very underrated Pokemon in X&Y OU. However, it is relatively easy to see why people don't use her that often; she is weak, and thus setup bait for some Pokemon and has a relatively mediocre defensive typing. However, somewhat ironically, her defensive typing and offensive moves allow her to fill a niche in OU: full stall's only wall to avoid getting 6-0'd by CM Landorus-I. She may not look like much, but her bulk is absurd, so absurd that with full investment it's only OHKOd by Adamant Mega Heracross' Pin Missile 6% of the time! I'll remind you that that's a 125 BP STAB move coming off of an Adamant base 185 Attack.

Movesets:
Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonlight
- Psychic / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam / Toxic
- Reflect

Set Description:

This is Cresselia's best set in OU. It has reliable recovery in the form of Moonlight, which is very useful for a wall. Psychic is a useful STAB move that hits Gengar, Keldeo, and Venusaur super effectively, prevents it from being 100% Taunt bait, and allows it to hit Medicham for some damage. It can however be switched for Hidden Power Fire, which, while incredibly weak, allows it to beat Scizor and Ferrothorn one-on-one. Ice Beam is a very important move for Cresselia, since it allows it to 2HKO Landorus-I. It however can use Toxic instead, since it still takes care of Landorus, while also handling Mega Charizard-Y and Mega Gardevoir. Cresselia resists or is immune to Earth Power, Psychic, and Focus Blast, takes nothing from Hidden Power Ice, can easily take a Knock Off or U-Turn, especially with Reflect, and doesn't care at all about Calm Mind or Rock Polish, so it is unarguably stall's best answer to Landorus. As mentioned earlier, Reflect is useful for allowing it to tank Physical attacks like Knock Off and U-turn easy, and it also allows it to handle Pursuit users. Use this set to wall everything without strong Bug, Dark, or Ghost attacks, and you're doing it right.

Cresselia can be used as a stop to Mega Charizard-Y; it's rarely 2HKOd by Modest variants and can abuse its sun to recover more from Moonlight. However, it is important to consider the following damage calculations.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 187-222 (42.1 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 187-222 (42.1 - 50%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 207-244 (46.6 - 54.9%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 207-244 (46.6 - 54.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It performs less reliably against Mega Charizard-Y than other Pokemon, so it's important to save Cress' health and remove hazards if you're facing a Char-Y team and only have Cress to serve as a counter.

Additionally, you can run a Bold nature + physical defense, since it's going to wall Landorus no matter the investment. However, this sacrifices walling Gardevoir + Charizard-Y. Additionally, with Reflect, Defense EVs aren't necessary. They do allow Mega Heracross to 3HKO with Pin Missile, which is hilarious, but not a situation you'd want to be in anyway.
Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Lunar Dance
- Thunder Wave

Cresselia is ridiculously bulky, and so makes a great dual screens user for all types of teams. Light Screen and Reflect are obvious choices, since this is a double screen set. Light Clay is used over Leftovers to extend the duration of the screens. Thunder Wave is used to put pressure on sweepers after/in the middle of the screens being set. It's useful to know that unlike Azelf, Cresselia is extremely bulky, and can set up screens more than once. However, once you determine that another Pokemon is needed healthier more than Cresselia, Cress can use its signature move, Lunar Dance, to restore its HP and PP.
Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Reflect / Light Screen
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Moonlight

Cresselia's final standard set is Trick Room. Trick Room allows slow Pokemon on its team, like Heracross, Bisharp, and Mawile to use their slow speed to their benefit. Trick Room has the potential to rip apart offensive teams, who rely on fast Pokemon, like Greninja, to OHKO slow Pokemon that can OHKO them. Cresselia is incredibly bulky, and thus is able to serve as one of a Trick Room team's setters. Before using Trick Room, Cresselia will usually want to use one of the screens. Reflect is generally the better option, since viable priority moves are exclusively physical and are generally the only way offense can hit TR teams first. Lunar Dance is incredibly useful on this set, since using Lunar Dance after Trick Room + a screen is scary for bulky slow Pokemon. The last slot is largely filler; almost anything can be viably used. However, Moonlight for recovery is generally the best option.

• CroCress is possibility. It's bulkier than Suicune, at the cost of much offensive presence, since its Special Attack is 15 lower and that it's forced to use a non STAB move as its mono attack.
• Thunder Wave can be used on the defensive set, but in exchange allow Pursuit users to handle Cress easier.
• Psycho Shift is a nice move that allows it to "bounce back" Toxic.
• It also could be used on a set with Flame Orb + Rest. See this post for more details.
• You could use a TrickScarf set, but that's generally done better by Pokemon with offensive presence.

Overall, Cresselia is a underrated Pokemon in OU. There's nothing quite like it; the way it takes neutral and super effective hits is unbelievable, and in combination with Moonlight, Ice Beam, Reflect, Light Screen, and Trick Room, allow it to be the perfect fit on multiple types of teams. Beating Landorus + Medicham on a stall team is huge, and potentially getting 3HKOd by Mega Heracross after Reflect is hilarious. Cresselia isn't a top tier threat, but it's a really cool Pokemon that you should consider while building a team.

Last edited:

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Cresselia has a single niche, and that is as you said, Stall's way of not being rekt by the Mega Medicham+Lando-I core, and it does the job well with
fantastic bulk, a beautiful movepool, semi-reliable recovery, and a typing and ability that is very beneficial to Stall. It could see some use on balance teams, but on HO pokemon like Azelf do the whole "Fast dual screens" better. Overall, it definitely has a niche, and a very effective pokemon at what it does, but it isn't exactly the best pokemon for all types of teams.

I've seen a rest set before, with CM and two attacks. It works especially well against stall, who can no longer toxic it, and it doesn't even need rest talk vs. those teams because it's very difficult for any stall mon to 3HKO Cress (it's difficult for some offensive mons to do it too, at least without setup), and she isn't affected by spikes so she has very little to worry about switching in. Also, +6 Psyshock 2HKOs Chansey, even without any investment, and with that monstrous HP stat it's easy for Rest Cress to set up in Chansey's face. And, it does a fantastic job of walling Lando+MegaCham.

Of course, she ends up as set-up bait for HO teams during the sleep turns, but yeah. Basically tank Cress just has to choose whether she wants to be more useful vs. Stall (rest) or HO (moonlight). IMO CroCress is just not that great especially since once rest talk is revealed, everyone knows what it's one attacking move will be.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
You don't necessarily have to use CroCress in the way of using Rest. If the primary checks are out of the way it can set up with psyshock/psychic/moonblast, hpfire/hpfighting, calm mind, moonlight. Granted the set is prone to status like toxic but the idea is that this would be gone and work in a similar way to Clefable. Overall though this is an OO mention at best. The primary sets are just far superior in the OU meta right now.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was messing with the calculator the other day (still don't have access to my computer so I can't post them X_X) and found out that physically defensive Cress can counter the standard bulky Zard X and check Zard Y thanks to T-Wave. You can then either cherry tap X to death with Psychic, stall out the sun with Moonlight for Y, or Lunar Dance to get in your Zard check (like Scarf Chomp) and counter-sweep easily.

Or you can not T-Wave them and set up Trick Room in their faces :P

I was messing with the calculator the other day (still don't have access to my computer so I can't post them X_X) and found out that physically defensive Cress can counter the standard bulky Zard X and check Zard Y thanks to T-Wave. You can then either cherry tap X to death with Psychic, stall out the sun with Moonlight for Y, or Lunar Dance to get in your Zard check (like Scarf Chomp) and counter-sweep easily.

Or you can not T-Wave them and set up Trick Room in their faces :P
But ZardY usually carry roost, and with such low offenses, you aren't going to be doing much unless you carry HP Rock. Cresselia's SpA is pretty terrible even with some investment, and because it's a stallmon, you'll probably be barely investing any. Setting up Trick Room isn't often worth it, either, since TR isn't that great in OU and you'd need an entire slow team to not be nerfed by it. Besides, there's not much point in going first other than quicker recovery, and T-Waving is against the point of TR anyways. Slowing down your opponents is just harming yourself.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What about Flame Orb + Psycho Shift as an option?

Cresselia's biggest weaknesses are to TTar and Scizor, with Burn being it's only option that can wreck both. (it does make it predictable albeit)

Cresselia's biggest weaknesses are to TTar and Scizor, with Burn being it's only option that can wreck both. (it does make it predictable albeit)
No leftovers recovery and burn damage put Cress on a timer. And with only 8 pp on moonlight, it won't be able to stay alive in the long run.

Needless to say she is horribly crippled by Taunt like many Stall pokemon. Mega Gyarados is a full blown counter, especially with Taunt.

I like the idea of BurnShifting, but with no Leftovers and sand hampering Moonlight's effectiveness I think it'll hurt in the long run. But I think Psycho Shift is a good move even with Leftovers as it makes you a reliable switch in to Scald and status if you need it. Question though, if you get burned by a Heatran and try to use Psycho Shift, Heatran can't get burned, but will you at least get rid of your own burn status? Also, would that activate Flash Fire?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Question though, if you get burned by a Heatran and try to use Psycho Shift, Heatran can't get burned, but will you at least get rid of your own burn status? Also, would that activate Flash Fire?
The move will simply fail in that case.

Meh people already know about Psycho Shift it seems... I thought I was going to post an original set but anyways here it is:

Cresselia @ Flame Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SDef / 240 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psycho Shift
- Psyshock

Completely walled by Heatran so make sure to have a switch in to that. Any Fire-type for that matter. EV's outspeed Jolly Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar and Breloom. Knock Off seriously cripples this set but benefits you at the same time (sort of). But besides that, you can spread burns to your hearts content. Sleep Talk has a 1/3 chance to put your opponent to sleep, and on top of that it wakes you up. It's a good set because the things that can take Cresselia out the fastest like Scizor, T-tar, Bisharp, Mega Heracross etc all get heavily crippled if they switch in on Psycho Shift. That means they usually don't do that so they have to find another way to break through Cresselia's bulk while dealing with burn damage and RestTalk shenanigans. Definitely a fun set to use, not the most effective wall though because you know, Burn damage.

Meh people already know about Psycho Shift it seems... I thought I was going to post an original set but anyways here it is:

Cresselia @ Flame Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SDef / 240 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psycho Shift
- Psyshock

Completely walled by Heatran so make sure to have a switch in to that. Any Fire-type for that matter. EV's outspeed Jolly Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar and Breloom. Knock Off seriously cripples this set but benefits you at the same time (sort of). But besides that, you can spread burns to your hearts content. Sleep Talk has a 1/3 chance to put your opponent to sleep, and on top of that it wakes you up. It's a good set because the things that can take Cresselia out the fastest like Scizor, T-tar, Bisharp, Mega Heracross etc all get heavily crippled if they switch in on Psycho Shift. That means they usually don't do that so they have to find another way to break through Cresselia's bulk while dealing with burn damage and RestTalk shenanigans. Definitely a fun set to use, not the most effective wall though because you know, Burn damage.
It looks like a fun set, but taking residual damage from burn when you can't shift it right away can really suck for a wall.

Wait. You guys are talking about Psycho Shift Cress without me? Google Flame Orb Cresselia and my team is the first result :p

I have been using Flame Orb Psycho Shift Cress since Gen 4 and I love using her.

I prefer...

Psycho Duck (Cresselia) (F) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Moonblast
- Trick / Sleep Talk
- Rest

Moonblast allows Cressy to possibly lower SAtk and Atk with Psycho Shifting. Plus it lets you hit Dark-Types for SE and overall has better type coverage.

Trick can be used to mess with stuff like Chansey or to take the random Trickscarf. Sleep Talk is for Sleep Shifting obviously.

If you do run the Stalk set I feel that you put a lot more pressure on things if you use Moonblast instead of a Psychic move, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Wait. You guys are talking about Psycho Shift Cress without me? Google Flame Orb Cresselia and my team is the first result :p

I have been using Flame Orb Psycho Shift Cress since Gen 4 and I love using her.

I prefer...

Psycho Duck (Cresselia) @ Flame Orb
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP / Enough for 352 SDef and the rest in Def
- Psycho Shift
- Moonblast
- Trick / Sleep Talk
- Rest

Moonblast allows Cressy to possibly lower SAtk and Atk with Psycho Shifting. Plus it lets you hit Dark-Types for SE and overall has better type coverage.

Trick can be used to mess with stuff like Chansey or to take the random Trickscarf. Sleep Talk is for Sleep Shifting obviously.

If you do run the Stalk set I feel that you put a lot more pressure on things if you use Moonblast instead of a Psychic move, but that's just my opinion.
It's kind of set-up fodder for hazard users, IMO. Cresselia still can't hit things well enough, and most hazard-setters don't care about burn. You're allowing them to get up multiple layers, which requires a spinner or defogger.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would definitely include Toxic somewhere on the main set, as without it Cresselia struggles to beat Mega Charizard Y and loses against CM Mega Gardevoir, and in general is much easier to take advantage of. Toxic also takes care of Landorus, meaning that you if you forfeit Ice Beam it's not such a big deal.

Also, when saying that Cresselia handles Mega Zard Y, explain how it can only check it with SR off the field, as with SR, Timid Fire Blast 2hkoes 1/3 of the time and Modest Fire Blast 2HKOes 99.6% of the time, while Modest Fire Blast even has a 11.7% chance to 2HKO without SR.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I would definitely include Toxic somewhere on the main set, as without it Cresselia struggles to beat Mega Charizard Y and loses against CM Mega Gardevoir, and in general is much easier to take advantage of. Toxic also takes care of Landorus, meaning that you if you forfeit Ice Beam it's not such a big deal.
K I slashed Toxic with Ice Beam on set #1 and added Flame Orb + Psycho Shift to OO. The latter's flaws have been mentioned, but it's still definitely worth a mention. I also linked MythTrainerInfinity's post in the OP, because you obviously know a lot about the set :)

One idea, which IIRC is used in RU, is a monoattacking Cresselia without Rest. This set is designed to take down stall teams, as Sub blocks status and with dat 120 HP stat, Chansey's SToss doesn't break the sub. It then CMs, with Moonblast as the only attacking move. The set is

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Special Attack
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

The only thing holding this back is mono-Psychic typing (come on GF, it should be a Fairy!) and Moonlight's 8 PP. Still, this set screws stall unless they have sp.def unaware clefable as chansey is set - up bait, and at +6, GG.
+6 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 110-130 (17.1 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO
Ok, not GG. But the other option is to run Psyshock and remove Darks before sending in Cresselia.
+6 4 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 361-426 (56.2 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This gets walled by phys def Quagod, (4 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 55-66 (13.9 - 16.7%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery) but hey, nothing's perfect.
Also, before anyone says Skarm can phaze, use this as your last-Poke wincon.

One idea, which IIRC is used in RU, is a monoattacking Cresselia without Rest. This set is designed to take down stall teams, as Sub blocks status and with dat 120 HP stat, Chansey's SToss doesn't break the sub. It then CMs, with Moonblast as the only attacking move. The set is

Cresselia @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

The only thing holding this back is mono-Psychic typing (come on GF, it should be a Fairy!) and Moonlight's 8 PP. Still, this set screws stall unless they have sp.def unaware clefable as chansey is set - up bait, and at +6, GG.
+6 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 110-130 (17.1 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO
Ok, not GG. But the other option is to run Psyshock and remove Darks before sending in Cresselia.
+6 4 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 361-426 (56.2 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This gets walled by phys def Quagod, (4 SpA Cresselia Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 55-66 (13.9 - 16.7%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery) but hey, nothing's perfect.
You say running Psyshock beats Chansey, but where do you run it? The four moves are all necessary, no Moonlight means you get worn down too fast, you get statuses without Sub, and the set is about CM. Dark types would utterly wall you without Moonblast. Also, faster threats have a chance if critting before you can set up subs, and though it's unlikely, it happens.

The set seems fairly decent otherwise, though, and something to take out Chansey makes it pretty good.

You say running Psyshock beats Chansey, but where do you run it? The four moves are all necessary, no Moonlight means you get worn down too fast, you get statuses without Sub, and the set is about CM. Dark types would utterly wall you without Moonblast. Also, faster threats have a chance if critting before you can set up subs, and though it's unlikely, it happens.

The set seems fairly decent otherwise, though, and something to take out Chansey makes it pretty good.
Yeah, the other option is HP Fighting. It still sucks vs Chansey, but not as much...
+6 0 SpA Cresselia Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 174-206 (24.7 - 29.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO
and it hits Dark types. Though if you want to use Cress as an answer to stall, just pack something to beat Mandibuzz - it's the only good dark type stall poke.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

So basically it gets hard countered by literally all of stall

+6 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 110-130 (17.1 - 20.2%)
+6 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 37-44 (9.5 - 11.3%)
+6 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 92-108 (25.6 - 30%)
+6 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 90-106 (20.8 - 24.5%)
+6 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 144-169 (43.1 - 50.5%)
4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Quagsire: 77-91 (19.5 - 23%)
4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Unaware Clefable: 60-71 (15.2 - 18%)

Also you can be taken out by Taunt Gliscor since it can prevent you from Calm Minding more than once.

+1 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 74-88 (21 - 25%)

Knock Off 2HKOs Cresselia's Subs even with the item gone so Gliscor can just spam that.

+1 4 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 67-79 (16.5 - 19.5%)

Mew does similarly, if not outright better. It has better special bulk as well as a stronger Knock Off and if Cressy ever is caught without a Sub (which it will as long as Mew carries Knock Off) the space duck is getting burned.

tl;dr Sub CM Cress sucks against stall. It might do a little better running like, Sub / CM / Ice Beam / Psyshock but that kind of sucks ass against any other team type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)