SS OU Cry-ogonal about it

1666368261869.png

Cryogonal can be a forgettable pokemon to lots of people, but personally I really like this angry robotic looking snowflake. Its unique combination of stats, ability, moves and typing is something that no other pokemon has. Before gen 8 comes to a close, I decided to build a team around cryogonal!
1666369375152.png

Cryogonal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Freeze-Dry
When I first saw cryogonal, the first few things I noticed were its levitate ability, high special defense and good speed. It also has a surprisingly good support movepool, with moves like rapid spin, toxic, recover and knock off. I decided to max out its hp and speed, since it needs speed to outspeed pokemon like garchomp and other base hundreds. Its high special defense, as well as levitate and mono-ice typing lets it switch into some neutral hits like slowbro/king, tapu fini and zapdos, as well as garchomp and landorus-therian when predicted correctly, which lets it get a free rapid spin, knock off or recover. It can tank a lot of strong special attacks, such as tanking 2 specs draco meteors from dragapult at full hp. Freeze dry is its stab that also lets it chip the water types mentioned before.

1666374451330.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Spikes ferrothorn works well with cryogonal, which provides rapid spin and knock off support as well. Ferrothorn does what ferrothorn does, it's the fairy, water and grass switch-in that everyone needs. Dual stab lets it hit back fairy types hard and also break a hawlucha substitute, but feel free to run knock off if u want to. There isn't much to say about it, it covers the physical defense side of things while landorus-therian and cryogonal handle the other side.

1666375027233.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- U-turn
With an extreme weakness to fire types like volcarona, blacephalon and heatran, I added everyone's favourite bread-and-butter spdef lando set. Stealth rocks adds to the hazard stacking, and toxic lets u chip down pokemon like zapdos and volcarona. Earthquake is stab, u-turn gives u momentum, blah blah blah, u know the drill. Do know when to use cryogonal or landorus-therian to sponge hits.

1666375246265.png

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
With the spinning and hazards part done, its time to make full use of them. Specs volcanion is a powerhouse that really appreciates spikes racking up damage on bulkier regen pokemon like toxapex and slowking-galar, which is made even stronger with steam eruption's high power and nasty 30% burn chance. Earlier knock off support also helps volcanion break through teams. Earth power and sludge wave are for heatran and tapu fini respectively, and the speed lets it outspeed heatrans, finis and buzzwoles with no speed investment

1666375727554.png

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
Tapu lele is another strong special attacker that enjoys with spikes. Since I have two other choiced pokemon on the team, I gave tapu lele a twisted spoon so that it still has strong spammable psychic attacks, but it can also switch its moves a bit. This is further accentuated by spikes, as spikes damage + psychic + focus blast can easily surprise steel types like heatran switching in. It also gives the illusion of choice specs, giving u an advantage in the guessing game. If u want, u can also use thunder to surprise corviknights switching in, which otherwise the team might struggle against due to volcanion's stealth rock weakness.

1666376209619.png

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Throat Chop
Galarian-zapdos is our finally wallbreaker, which threatens defog users with defiant and its strong stabs. U-turn hits the slowtwins and switches u out, while throat chop can hit ghost types like aegislash which also opens up lele. Once again, zapdos greatly benefits from spikes chipping down pokemon like toxapex and can turns 3kos into 2kos. The last 3 mons are rather customizable, whether u want to run boots volcanion, or specs lele, or scarf zapdos is all fine and up to u.

The team does have quite a weakness to hawlucha, but as I said earlier the last 3 pokemon can be customized to fit ur needs. It may not be the type of team to bring u to very high on the ladder (well u can try), but I am proud to have made cryogonal work among the powerhouses of gen 8!

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hey Strat,

This is a very cool presentation, I love all the pictures you used for the team members.

Cryogonal is PU but it can work fantastically in OU with it's speed, special defense and the ability to levitate and still provide rapid spin.

In terms of weakness I feel like this team has no answer to sun teams, I also believe this team suffers from a speed perspective since the fastest Pokemon is Cryogonal with 339 speed (timid). Hawlucha as you said can cause a problem to this team, if Landorus-Therian isn't healthy. I also believe Dragapult and Blacephalon can cause a problems to this team based on their speed and with them hitting all the Pokémon on this team neutrally with Shadow Ball. They also pose the threat of both out speeding and being specs, I can see it being troublesome.

Some calculations:
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 169-199 (46.4 - 54.6%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 183-216 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 150-177 (39.2 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

So my suggestions will be in order to fix some of the problems above:

I would recommend to take away Power Whip and go with Knock Off to help with chip damage and the ability to remove Heavy-Duty boots so you are fully able to utilize spikes and entry hazards in general.

My next suggestion is to go with Tyranitar over Landorus-Therian. The reason I'm suggesting Tyranitar is the ability to take care of special moves from Dragapult and Blacephalon also with the ability to control weather teams like I suggested I do think sun teams give this team a pretty huge problem, just think of Growth Venusaur under the sun and the ability to pretty much OHKO everything on the team after one setup.

1666405457319.png

Tyranitar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave / Toxic

This set will provide the ability to status incoming Pokémon looking to kill of Tyranitar, and you have the option to setup Stealth Rock on the right Pokémon since Tyranitar can withstand a majority of special attacking hits. Rock Blast can break through substitutes as well as it provides fantastic BP if it hits 5 times.

My next suggestion is to replace Tapu Lele with Tapu Koko the reason I suggest this is to the ability to take care of the Hawlucha problem, it stomachs both of Hawlucha's stab moves (Close Combat and Acrobatics), and it'll be able to hit back and KO with thunderbolt, the other reason I'm suggestion Tapu Koko is for speed check purposes it'll be able to out speed a majority of Pokémon aside from a few (such as Dragapult, Zeraora, and Regieleki). Also I would suggest the ability to go with the Calm Mind set for the ability to surprise the opponent, and additionally add another Pokémon that has the ability to sweep / setup.

1666406867095.png

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Zapdos looks good, I wouldn't mind going with Choice Scarf as an option to try it out and see if it pays better to add more speed to the team, aside from that, I wish you good luck with this team.

Thank you so much, I feel like tyranitar is indeed the missing key to my team, Ive just gotten into the bad habit of slapping on a lando when i want a specially defensive magma storm, blacephalon and dragapult switch in, even tho it can be overwhelmed by them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)