Should Kazappelin lose Explosion?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1. Rezzo
Bolt Beam defenses.... This actually slots in really well by being a solid choice defensively towards Zap and gang, while also letting all the other types rise up as a domino effect. Notably Bug, and Fire, stocks will rise. I removed my own submission because, again, this is just a better version of what I was proposing.

2. Gekokeso
Is nice. Genuinely love the picture you put up for it, I think all four of the suggestions here are a unique spin on the concept, and this one is also hella nice.

3. Ema
Big Fan of the type matchups here, but really dislike that it's a Physical type. Honestly would rate as my 1st pick or 2nd if it was special.

4. JosJet
Sorry Jos, but dislike Cosmic being a Physical type that much. I think you had a good explanation on why but would rather the concept be special. I also think I legitimately dislike the type interactions a lot.

Ema Skye - I really enjoy these interactions and feel as though our charts are quite similar!
JosJet
Gekokeso
- I enjoy these interactions, though I’m not very interested in seeing a Poison + Rock weakness. These two types just got some nice buffs through Malnourish/Boulder Rush, and I feel like they’re already being explored more in the meta.
Rezzo - I personally don’t enjoy the Fire weakness as I feel like Fire-types are generally not something you want to slot for when building a viable team, and even more so after this implementation. I’d personally just switch around that part of the interaction, but that’s one of my only qualms with it!

:starmie:Slate 10.3: Cosmic-type Changes:ledian:
C553.gif
You've deciphered the strengths and weaknesses of the Cosmic-type. Now you must analyze all the Pokémon and moves present in the Sevii Isles to gauge whether or not Cosmic energy exists within them...
~~~~~~~~~~
Our official Cosmic-type mechanics!

Type: Cosmic
Category: Special
Justification: See below

Attacking:
Super effective versus: Fire, Electric, Ghost, Cosmic
Not very effective versus: Ice, Psychic, Bug, Steel

Defending:
Weak to: Bug, Dragon, Cosmic
Resists: Fire, Electric, Ice

Justifications:

Fire, Electric & Ice interactions: I'm going for an energy-transfer style of flavour here. Cosmic Pokemon, being space-based, have the upper hand on restricting energy-based attacks from reaching their full potential on the battlefield. Ice being resisted bothways flavour-wise is down to the low energy state of ice.

Balance-wise, a new Boltbeam resist in a single type! The ultimate HP Legends soft check (but paralysis still be annoyin').

Normal & Bug Interactions: A true David vs Goliath moment. Cosmic Pokemon might have the power of the universe backing them, but the Normal and Bug types have the power of the PokéGods (call it plot armour if you will)!

Balance-wise, adding a Normal type weakness I feel excuses the otherwise uncommon attack weaknesses that Cosmic will suffer from. I think it also keeps the type grounded no matter what, since practically any Pokemon can run a strong Normal type move to blast them down if they so choose.

Edit: No longer defensively weak to Normal types. Seems unnecessary when Cosmic is weak to itself.

Ghost, Psychic & Cosmic interactions: A true battle of the supernatural. I've gone for a rock-paper-scissors-esque direction with these three; Cosmic beats Ghost, Ghost beats Psychic, Psychic beats Cosmic. Cosmic also beats itself - there's nothing scarier than an alien from another world crashing your party!

Balance-wise, yeah it's a mini RPS interaction that isn't a complete circle. Psychic types are pretty defensively moot in Gen 2, and giving them another resist is something they may actually appreciate.

"Cosmic is weak to itself?" Well, this is something we can have a large degree of control over when it comes to balancing the type! We will have the power to tone down Cosmic by adding & modifying Cosmic attacks to make the type as strong (or as weak) as we please. Don't forget; other Pokemon will want to be jumping on the Cosmic type coverage train.

Dragon interaction: The two Goliaths battling it out. Like Bug and Normal, this is a flavour piece to make Cosmic Pokemon weak against the most animal-like Pokemon, while being strong against those which are energy-themed.

Not thinking of a huge deal here balance wise as Dragon type moves are scarce and generally quite underwhelming.

Steel Interaction: Fun fact: Steel interacts non-neutrally with every type in gen 2 in one way or another. There's no strong flavour reasoning for Steel resisting Cosmic beyond that it resists nearly everything already :bloblul:

-----

Let's have a look at the new candidates, shall we?

:gs/clefable:
Normal -> Cosmic

Assuming they get a powerful STAB option, Cosmic types will be the new premier Zapdos and Raikou checks. A Pokemon like Clefable probably doesn't offer much else, but I'm fine with this. Clefable already has a pretty diverse movepool, being able to run Fire Blast coverage to hit Heracross, Pierzer, Steelix and Skarmory. Otherwise Clefable can't do much, it'll be terrified of Snorlax and very prone to being trapped by Preying Swipe. Heracross outspeeds and has a >60% chance to OHKO with Megahorn.

:gs/staryu: :gs/starmie:
Water -> Cosmic
Water/Psychc -> Cosmic/Psychc
OR?
Water/Psychc -> Water/Cosmic

First type combo: A pretty huge change that completely redefines how Starmie interacts with the tier. Suddenly it would find itself a less consistent Cloyster check while also being worse into Golem, Steelix and Forretress. However it benefits from being a spinner who isn't afraid of Gengar, Zapdos or Raikou at all, which is massive.

Second type combo: The one that flavour-wise makes less sense but it's the one that I honestly prefer in terms of balance. Starmie's core utility would change less, however it gains a neutrality to Electric type attacks while also gaining a STAB coverage typing to hit the electrics back with. Sounds fun I think.

:gs/porygon2:

Normal -> Cosmic
OR?
Normal -> Normal/Cosmic

Spppaaaacceeeee! Porygon2 flavour-wise is a Pokemon manmade for space travel. Changing it to Cosmic type obviously eliminates its (subpar) niche at being a Curse user who 1v1s Lax with Recover. But like Clefable, it opens it up as a HP legends check, with a much tastier 32 Recover PP to really wall and stall them out if it so pleases. Might end up being a great defensive option for teams with a pretty diverse movepool quite like Clefable. No Fire coverage though.

Fakemon Concepts?

I'm not keen on throwing a bunch of Pokemon into the fryer and would be very happy with just seeing a limited number of Mons go through a change in typing. But, as for offensive ideas, based on my flavour a more offensively-oriented Cosmic type would be nice, seeing as there would be none under this current flavour proposal.

There's obviously a lot of Fakemon type combinations to consider here and I won't dwell on them too much as it detracts away from this specific subslate. However, Fire + Cosmic coverage looks potentially very lucrative on an offensive attacker.
~~~~~~~~~~
:clefable:Prompt: Your task is to submit Pokémon and moves that should now become/gain the Cosmic-type.

- You cannot change the stats/traits of Pokémon/moves other than their type.

- You cannot create new Pokémon/moves. (This will take place in future slates.)

- This slate will be primarily discussion based - submission overlap is okay as it will just further confirm that said Pokémon/move should receive the Cosmic-type.

- Voting for this slate will not be weighted, but will rather be Yes/No based. (More details to come when voting opens.)
~~~~~~~~~~
Code:
[B]Pokémon/Move[/B]:
[B]New-type[/B]:
[B]Stats/Characteristics[/B]: (This is just for reference, don't change these)

[B]Competitive[/B]:

[B]Flavor Justification[/B]:
:ss/granbull:
Pokémon: Granbull
New-type: Fairy-type
Stats: 90 HP / 120 Atk / 75 Def / 60 SpA / 60 SpD / 45 Spe

Competitive: Granbull is now weak to Poison and Steel-type attacks, and has SE Stab against Fighting, Dragon, and Dark-types. Some meta interactions this changes about Granbull are...

Flavor Justification: Granbull is pink.
~~~~~~~~~~
What's Next for Crystal: Sevii Islands?
:skuntank::qwilfish::pinsir:
This spaced out submission process will allow for a more holistic approach that accounts for everyone's different ideas! If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to reach out to the Council.

Submissions will close on Sunday, July 31st!
:snorlax::zapdos::electrode::espeon::umbreon:

Last edited:
Move: Black Hole
New-type: Cosmic-type
Characteristics: 200 BP | 100% Accuracy | 8 BP | After 2 turns, all Pokémon are hit.

Competitive: Black Hole has been one of the new moves that has rarely seen use. With this change, it gains more novelty that would encourage more users to use it + has the opportunity to pressure Electric-types, which is definitely huge. This could be a great way to explore the original move's concept without an entire rework.

Flavor Justification: Black Hole - "a region of space having a gravitational field so intense that no matter or radiation can escape."

- More to come! -

Ema Skye

Work!
Will be on mobile for the whole slate so apologies if this isn’t my usual post quality.

:espeon:
Pokémon/Move: Espeon
New-type: Psychic/Cosmic
Stats/Characteristics: 65/65/60/130/95/110

Competitive: Normally a Growth booster and passer, this gives it an additional STAB to attack with and some valuable resistances for Baton Pass builds.

Flavor Justification: It’s the Sun Pokémon, evolves based on the position of the sun and is able to manipulate the atmosphere. This all suggests it’s ability to manipulate Cosmic energy.
Weaknesses: Bugx4, Dragon, Cosmic, Ghost, Dark
Resistances: Psychic, Fighting, Electric, Ice, Fire

:umbreon:
Pokémon/Move: Umbreon
New-type: Dark/Cosmic
Stats/Characteristics: 95/65/110/60/130/65

Competitive: A big fat Snorlax check that now offers the ability to check Zapdos while also offering Pursuit support. This offers some awesome role compression and ensures it can stay viable in the tier.

Flavor Justification: It’s the moon Pokémon, is most active on nights of the full moon and learns moves like Moonlight that suggest it has the ability to utilize cosmic energy.
Weaknesses: Bugx4, Fighting, Dragon, Cosmic
Resistances: Fire, Ice, Fighting, Dark, Ghost

:stantler:
Pokémon/Move: Stantler
New-type: Cosmic/Normal
Stats/Characteristics: 73/95/62/85/65/85

Competitive: Stantler has no competitive value currently due to its stats and limited movepool. Seriously, it doesn’t even get Thunderbolt this gen! A type change attempts to give it a chance to pull some weight, but it likely needs a lot more.

Flavor Justification: Stantler’s antlers create weird space-like areas that draw people in towards them. It honestly sounds like it has the ability to create gravity fields which would fit the Cosmic lore and give us more diversity in the type beyond ‘they came from space!

:muk:
Pokémon/Move: Grimer/Muk
New-type: Poison/Cosmic
Stats/Characteristics: 105/105/75/65/100/50

Competitive: Muk is a decent Curse user with a powerful Explosion to force trades. This typing gives it a phenomenal matchup against the Electrics and finally gives it the resistances it needs to compete in OU.

Flavor Justification: Grimer is garbage that has been exposed to a space x-ray. Cosmic energy is why it exists.

Weaknesses: Psychic, Ground, Dragon, Cosmic
Resistances: Fighting, Poison, Grass, Fire, Ice, Electric

Last edited:
Pokémon/Move: Moonlight
New-type: Cosmic
Stats/Characteristics: Heals the user by a weather dependent amount.

Competitive: Not much would really change with the move honestly. Most Mons would retain the move and at most it would just become a common recovery move for most if not all cosmic types to have.

Flavor Justification: Moon does seem to relate to the cosmic theme a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pokémon/Move: Swift

Stats/Characteristics: This move never misses

Competitive: This is 90% done for flavor reasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if a particularly defensive Mon used this because of its high pp, also it can wprk as coverage on pretty coverage starved out Mons.

Flavor Justification: This one should be obvious honestly, also the move looked hella special from the start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:wigglytuff:
Pokémon/Move: Wigglytuff

New-type: Normal/Cosmic

Stats/Characteristics: 140/70/45/75/50/45

Competitive: If the inevitable cosmic type Clefable comes into play this thing will probably not be too viable, but i can see it being a decent sidegrade at least. Normal/Cosmic is a weird typing as it gains a fighting type weakness in exchange for being able to switch into any ghost, which it does admitedly have a good chance of threating out thanks to its new cosmic stab. It will honestly mostly depend on how either of the two performs thanks to its new typing and while wigglytuff definitely has the lower hand it might get a good enough niche.

Flavor Justification: I have seen a lot of talk about cosmic type clefable and while im currently too lazy to sub it myself i was thinking that it would help to recreate that counterpart status the two mons had going on. Wigglytuff does aditionally does have an evolution based on the moon stone, which not only ties with the cosmic theme thanks to needing a cosmic element to evolve, but also helps serve the clefable counterpart role as they share the same evolution method.

:xatu:
Pokémon/Move: Xatu

Stats/Characteristics: 65/75/70/95/70/95

Competitive: We can't really make it so that Xatu's stats aren't complete dogshit, but we can somewhat try and make it viable with an evo. In theory this mon could have the option of using both black hole and future sight (you only really use black hole) but the real kicker is its typing. Losing your ground and spikes inmunity and gaining a normal dragon / x4 bug weakness is tough, but Xatu ultimately gains way more from its type change. Losing the rock weakness, turning the ice and electric weaknesses into resists, gaining a fire resistance, a way to threaten out ghost types, and replacing its terrible stab for a way better one more than makes up for what it lost in the transition into the cosmic typing. By itself, Xatu should have a niche as an outstanding cosmic type that does the typical cosmic type things but also isn't weak to opposing cosmic attacks, so it can switch in and threaten opposing cosmic mons. Has a lot of potential and will be ultimately just be limited by its stats and movepool.

Flavor Justification: "Some people in different lands have long believed that Xatu are emissaries from another world." "Xatu is known to stand motionless while staring at the sun all day long." Pokedex entries aside, losing the flying typing upon evolving makes sense on Xatu as due to being a totem it stays motionless all day, never really using its wings too much. Being a cosmic emissaries also seems on par with the typing.

Last edited:
Pokémon/Move: Morning Sun
Stats/Characteristics: 8 PP | Heals the user by a weather-dependent amount.

Competitive: A good instant recovery option for Cosmic-types along with any other mons (current or future) that have access to it.

Flavor Justification: The Sun is pretty cosmic, at least by my flavor standards. Was going to submit both this and Moonlight because they’re kind of a package deal (Espeon/Umbreon and Nidoking/Nidoqueen having access to the moves), but Gekokeso already covered Moonlight, so I’ll just throw out Morning Sun to avoid too much repetition among our subs. Strongly recommend both of these moves becoming Cosmic for flavor purposes.

Pokémon/Move: Comet Punch
Stats/Characteristics: 18 BP | 85% Acc. | 24 PP | Hits 2-5 times in one turn.

Competitive: Let’s be real here, Comet Punch likely won’t see any competitive use given its abysmal power and not-too-great accuracy. Though, that could also depend on its future distribution and the distribution of other Cosmic-type attacks (still probably won’t see much if any use).

Flavor Justification: This is the real reason to re-type the move. It’s called Comet Punch, I can’t think of a more space or cosmic-themed move that currently exists in this meta.

breaking news: zapdos.inc lost 90% of its stock
:gs/ampharos:
Pokémon/Move: Ampharos
New-type: Electric / Cosmic
Stats/Characteristics: 90 / 75 / 75 / 115 / 90 / 55

Competitive: For long amphy has been outclassed by various electric types in OU, being part-Cosmic could separate it from others and shine in the current metagame. With Cosmic being a special type, ampharos can utilize its notable special attacking stat better. It also has Fire Punch, which hits 3 Cosmic resists super effectively. Defensive wise, great special bulk and BoltBeam resist, paired with the already good mono electric type makes this pokemon a good tank, too.

Flavor Justification: Ampharos is the Light pokemon, its light is described as "can be seen from space", with Cosmic being all about energy and space, I think Ampharos should get the type.

Last edited:

Pokémon: Lanturn (Chinchou definitely gets it too, but Lanturn is probably the relevant one for the meta)
New-type: Water / Cosmic
Stats: 125 / 58 / 58 / 76 / 76 / 67

Competitive: Lanturn is... unusual. Cosmic being Special means that it's good a solid STAB option in it once we start throwing out some extra moves for the type. This does turn Thunder(bolt) into coverage rather than actual STAB, but it's still mighty fine as a move. Its really big utility lies in taking out fire and/or ice types that can't hit it hard by utilizing its beefy special bulk and quad resist to the types. It can also part-check-part-counter some of the big grounds depending on who gets the initial move. Exoltol is probably close to a coinflip once Lanturn gets a good Cosmic move to hit it with. Notably, Dragonite doesn't get a free switch in to knock it out with STAB if you can predict it coming and fire off an Ice Beam.

It may be worth going down the "give it an evo" line with it as well, since its BST of 460 is... Well, it's not amazing when its only stat above 80 is its HP. Sometimes a low BST mon works amazingly (see: Jynx this generation), but Lanturn is not one of those amazing 'mons.

Weaknesses: Bug, Grass, Dragon, Cosmic
Resistances: Fire, Ice, Steel, Water

Flavor Justification: I feel like the first part to open the justification is not "Why make it Cosmic?", but rather "Why replace Electric?" (Since it's a fish, Water can't be tossed without jumping through hoops.) Pokémon hasn't really done many things this drastic, after all. And the logic is that bioluminescence is... not exactly an electrical thing. I'm not a biological expert so it may be wrong with this layman's explanation, but it's more of a chemical-based thing, like the sun except a lot less radioactive. Sure, electric sea creatures can exist (most known being the Electric Eel that Eeelektross is based on), but it's a whole different thing than what bioluminescence is like what Lanturn has.

Why it's a good Cosmic type candidate relates not to its Gen 2 dex entries, but the generations to come afterwards. Many of its entries, as soon as even Ruby's, state that it has a nickname of "The Deep-Sea Star", which has the obvious connection to the whole cosmic theming even if it's not a space-born creature itself. Natural light in general is a pretty otherworldly thing, given we have to rely on the sun rather than some part of the planet we live on, so I'd say there's some merit to making the good ol' anglerfish a Cosmic type.

Also the deeper parts of the ocean are super mysterious which was also part of Cosmic but that's not a point I wanna talk about in depth at 11:50 PM.

Rezzo

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Pre-Contributor
Re-quoting my initial post as submissions:

:gs/clefable:
Normal -> Cosmic

Assuming they get a powerful STAB option, Cosmic types will be the new premier Zapdos and Raikou checks. A Pokemon like Clefable probably doesn't offer much else, but I'm fine with this. Clefable already has a pretty diverse movepool, being able to run Fire Blast coverage to hit Heracross, Pierzer, Steelix and Skarmory. Otherwise Clefable can't do much, it'll be terrified of Snorlax and very prone to being trapped by Preying Swipe. Heracross outspeeds and has a >60% chance to OHKO with Megahorn.

:gs/staryu: :gs/starmie:
Water -> Cosmic
Water/Psychc -> Cosmic/Psychc
OR?
Water/Psychc -> Water/Cosmic

First type combo: A pretty huge change that completely redefines how Starmie interacts with the tier. Suddenly it would find itself a less consistent Cloyster check while also being worse into Golem, Steelix and Forretress. However it benefits from being a spinner who isn't afraid of Gengar, Zapdos or Raikou at all, which is massive.

Second type combo: The one that flavour-wise makes less sense but it's the one that I honestly prefer in terms of balance. Starmie's core utility would change less, however it gains a neutrality to Electric type attacks while also gaining a STAB coverage typing to hit the electrics back with. Sounds fun I think.

:gs/porygon2:

Normal -> Cosmic
OR?
Normal -> Normal/Cosmic

Spppaaaacceeeee! Porygon2 flavour-wise is a Pokemon manmade for space travel. Changing it to Cosmic type obviously eliminates its (subpar) niche at being a Curse user who 1v1s Lax with Recover. But like Clefable, it opens it up as a HP legends check, with a much tastier 32 Recover PP to really wall and stall them out if it so pleases. Might end up being a great defensive option for teams with a pretty diverse movepool quite like Clefable. No Fire coverage though.
Ergo, I will be submitting the following options for this slate:

Clefable: Cosmic

1. Starmie: Water/Cosmic

2. Staryu: Cosmic
Starmie: Cosmic/Psychic

1. Porygon2: Cosmic

2. Porygon2: Normal/Cosmic

And additionally:

Tri Attack: Normal -> Cosmic

Obviously same effect as usual, that being a base 80 attack with 20% chance to either burn, paralyse or freeze the target.

Flavour thing I've noticed is that Cosmic actually resists all three of these types naturally, but then would be weak to Tri Attack itself. Two wrongs may not make a right, but maybe Three do???

For reference, these Mons all learn Tri Attack:

:spearow::fearow: , :clefairy::clefable: , :dugtrio: , :abra::kadabra::alakazam: , :slowpoke::slowbro::slowking: , :magneton: , :doduo::dodrio: , :shellder::cloyster: , :drowzee::hypno: , :chansey::blissey: , :staryu::starmie: , :porygon::porygon2:, :mewtwo: , :mew:

:psyduck::golduck: (event)

Last edited:

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
When you look at the new types added in gsc, 2(technically 3 but one was a prevo) Pokémon gained steel, one evolved to gain steel. And 2 (Forry and Skarm )were gained. In Dark we have awful Murkrow and Sneasel, Houndour and it’s evo Houndoom, Tyranitar, and Umbreon. Very few, mostly bad. Going by this, with the way we want it to be framed, The cosmic Pokémon should be mostly Kanto/Mt Silver type Pokémon.

I support Starmie because it’s mainly a kanto pokemon, pretty strong. And it switches up its matchups in a cool way. I like the eeveelutions but don’t specifically want them, so just post that and then we can let the people decide. But that’s been talked about a lot. I like Ursaring, but none of its gsc flavor is space related so I wouldn’t change it outright. But the suggestions I want to emphasize my support of are

:GS/Magby::GS/Magmar:
Magmar Fire/Cosmic

Frequently is compared with the sun, gives it an advantage over its counterpart in electabuzz. It also is mentioned that it uses its fire to like, remove the cold, and that being the cold of space is really cool flavorwise.

:gs/staryu::GS/Starmie:
Staryu and Starmie Cosmic/Psychic -> Water/Cosmic

Already been over, but specifying this typing for the line is how it should be. Staryu evolves into Starmie via a Water Stone.

:GS/Tangela:
Tangela Grass/Cosmic

Useful interpretation of cosmic as more mysterious vs spacey.

Mainly wanted to share my thoughts, cool FWG core with this that I like quite a bit. Making this a real Trio could be rad though. As they do all have similarities.

:starmie:Slate 10.3: Voting is now open!:ledian:
For this voting period, all you must do is select either Yes/No for every sub. Submissions with ~ 66% will be added to the mod!

Voting Template:
Code:
Black Hole: Cosmic - Y/N
Espeon: Psychic/Cosmic - Y/N
Umbreon: Dark/Cosmic - Y/N
Stantler: Normal/Cosmic - Y/N
Grimer/Muk: Poison/Cosmic - Y/N
Moonlight: Cosmic - Y/N
Swift: Cosmic - Y/N
Wigglytuff: Normal/Cosmic - Y/N
Xatu: Psychic/Cosmic - Y/N
Morning Sun: Cosmic - Y/N
Comet Punch: Cosmic - Y/N
Ampharos: Electric/Cosmic - Y/N
Lanturn: Water/Cosmic - Y/N
Clefable: Cosmic - Y/N

Starmie: Water/Cosmic* - Y/N (You can only choose Yes for one of these.)
Staryu/Starmie: Cosmic -> Cosmic/Psychic - Y/N

Porygon 2: Cosmic - Y/N (You can only choose Yes for one of these.)
Porygon 2: Normal/Cosmic Y/N

Tri Attack: Cosmic - Y/N
Magmar: Cosmic/Fire - Y/N
Tangela: Grass/Cosmic - Y/N
Guidelines:
A few things to note:
- Even if you did not submit, you are allowed to vote!
- You can vote yes or no for as many submissions as you’d like.

A more detailed breakdown of Sevii Island's voting system can be found in the OP!
Submissions:
Move: Black Hole
New-type: Cosmic-type
Characteristics: 200 BP | 100% Accuracy | 8 BP | After 2 turns, all Pokémon are hit.

Competitive: Black Hole has been one of the new moves that has rarely seen use. With this change, it gains more novelty that would encourage more users to use it + has the opportunity to pressure Electric-types, which is definitely huge. This could be a great way to explore the original move's concept without an entire rework.

Flavor Justification: Black Hole - "a region of space having a gravitational field so intense that no matter or radiation can escape."

- More to come! -
Will be on mobile for the whole slate so apologies if this isn’t my usual post quality.

:espeon:
Pokémon/Move: Espeon
Stats/Characteristics: 65/65/60/130/95/110

Competitive: Normally a Growth booster and passer, this gives it an additional STAB to attack with and some valuable resistances for Baton Pass builds.

Flavor Justification: It’s the Sun Pokémon, evolves based on the position of the sun and is able to manipulate the atmosphere. This all suggests it’s ability to manipulate Cosmic energy.
Weaknesses: Bugx4, Dragon, Cosmic, Ghost, Dark
Resistances: Psychic, Fighting, Electric, Ice, Fire

:umbreon:
Pokémon/Move: Umbreon
New-type: Dark/Cosmic
Stats/Characteristics: 95/65/110/60/130/65

Competitive: A big fat Snorlax check that now offers the ability to check Zapdos while also offering Pursuit support. This offers some awesome role compression and ensures it can stay viable in the tier.

Flavor Justification: It’s the moon Pokémon, is most active on nights of the full moon and learns moves like Moonlight that suggest it has the ability to utilize cosmic energy.
Weaknesses: Bugx4, Fighting, Dragon, Cosmic
Resistances: Fire, Ice, Fighting, Dark, Ghost

:stantler:
Pokémon/Move: Stantler
New-type: Cosmic/Normal
Stats/Characteristics: 73/95/62/85/65/85

Competitive: Stantler has no competitive value currently due to its stats and limited movepool. Seriously, it doesn’t even get Thunderbolt this gen! A type change attempts to give it a chance to pull some weight, but it likely needs a lot more.

Flavor Justification: Stantler’s antlers create weird space-like areas that draw people in towards them. It honestly sounds like it has the ability to create gravity fields which would fit the Cosmic lore and give us more diversity in the type beyond ‘they came from space!

:muk:
Pokémon/Move: Grimer/Muk
New-type: Poison/Cosmic
Stats/Characteristics: 105/105/75/65/100/50

Competitive: Muk is a decent Curse user with a powerful Explosion to force trades. This typing gives it a phenomenal matchup against the Electrics and finally gives it the resistances it needs to compete in OU.

Flavor Justification: Grimer is garbage that has been exposed to a space x-ray. Cosmic energy is why it exists.

Weaknesses: Psychic, Ground, Dragon, Cosmic
Resistances: Fighting, Poison, Grass, Fire, Ice, Electric
Pokémon/Move: Moonlight
Stats/Characteristics: Heals the user by a weather dependent amount.

Competitive: Not much would really change with the move honestly. Most Mons would retain the move and at most it would just become a common recovery move for most if not all cosmic types to have.

Flavor Justification: Moon does seem to relate to the cosmic theme a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pokémon/Move: Swift

Stats/Characteristics: This move never misses

Competitive: This is 90% done for flavor reasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if a particularly defensive Mon used this because of its high pp, also it can wprk as coverage on pretty coverage starved out Mons.

Flavor Justification: This one should be obvious honestly, also the move looked hella special from the start.

:wigglytuff:
Pokémon/Move: Wigglytuff

New-type: Normal/Cosmic

Stats/Characteristics: 140/70/45/75/50/45

Competitive: If the inevitable cosmic type Clefable comes into play this thing will probably not be too viable, but i can see it being a decent sidegrade at least. Normal/Cosmic is a weird typing as it gains a fighting type weakness in exchange for being able to switch into any ghost, which it does admitedly have a good chance of threating out thanks to its new cosmic stab. It will honestly mostly depend on how either of the two performs thanks to its new typing and while wigglytuff definitely has the lower hand it might get a good enough niche.

Flavor Justification: I have seen a lot of talk about cosmic type clefable and while im currently too lazy to sub it myself i was thinking that it would help to recreate that counterpart status the two mons had going on. Wigglytuff does aditionally does have an evolution based on the moon stone, which not only ties with the cosmic theme thanks to needing a cosmic element to evolve, but also helps serve the clefable counterpart role as they share the same evolution method.

:xatu:
Pokémon/Move: Xatu

Stats/Characteristics: 65/75/70/95/70/95

Competitive: We can't really make it so that Xatu's stats aren't complete dogshit, but we can somewhat try and make it viable with an evo. In theory this mon could have the option of using both black hole and future sight (you only really use black hole) but the real kicker is its typing. Losing your ground and spikes inmunity and gaining a normal dragon / x4 bug weakness is tough, but Xatu ultimately gains way more from its type change. Losing the rock weakness, turning the ice and electric weaknesses into resists, gaining a fire resistance, a way to threaten out ghost types, and replacing its terrible stab for a way better one more than makes up for what it lost in the transition into the cosmic typing. By itself, Xatu should have a niche as an outstanding cosmic type that does the typical cosmic type things but also isn't weak to opposing cosmic attacks, so it can switch in and threaten opposing cosmic mons. Has a lot of potential and will be ultimately just be limited by its stats and movepool.

Flavor Justification: "Some people in different lands have long believed that Xatu are emissaries from another world." "Xatu is known to stand motionless while staring at the sun all day long." Pokedex entries aside, losing the flying typing upon evolving makes sense on Xatu as due to being a totem it stays motionless all day, never really using its wings too much. Being a cosmic emissaries also seems on par with the typing.

Pokémon: Lanturn (Chinchou definitely gets it too, but Lanturn is probably the relevant one for the meta)

Competitive: Lanturn is... unusual. Cosmic being Special means that it's good a solid STAB option in it once we start throwing out some extra moves for the type. This does turn Thunder(bolt) into coverage rather than actual STAB, but it's still mighty fine as a move. Its really big utility lies in taking out fire and/or ice types that can't hit it hard by utilizing its beefy special bulk and quad resist to the types. It can also part-check-part-counter some of the big grounds depending on who gets the initial move. Exoltol is probably close to a coinflip once Lanturn gets a good Cosmic move to hit it with. Notably, Dragonite doesn't get a free switch in to knock it out with STAB if you can predict it coming and fire off an Ice Beam.

It may be worth going down the "give it an evo" line with it as well, since its BST of 460 is... Well, it's not amazing when its only stat above 80 is its HP. Sometimes a low BST mon works amazingly (see: Jynx this generation), but Lanturn is not one of those amazing 'mons.

Flavor Justification: I feel like the first part to open the justification is not "Why make it Cosmic?", but rather "Why replace Electric?" (Since it's a fish, Water can't be tossed without jumping through hoops.) Pokémon hasn't really done many things this drastic, after all. And the logic is that bioluminescence is... not exactly an electrical thing. I'm not a biological expert so it may be wrong with this layman's explanation, but it's more of a chemical-based thing, like the sun except a lot less radioactive. Sure, electric sea creatures can exist (most known being the Electric Eel that Eeelektross is based on), but it's a whole different thing than what bioluminescence is like what Lanturn has.

Why it's a good Cosmic type candidate relates not to its Gen 2 dex entries, but the generations to come afterwards. Many of its entries, as soon as even Ruby's, state that it has a nickname of "The Deep-Sea Star", which has the obvious connection to the whole cosmic theming even if it's not a space-born creature itself. Natural light in general is a pretty otherworldly thing, given we have to rely on the sun rather than some part of the planet we live on, so I'd say there's some merit to making the good ol' anglerfish a Cosmic type.

Also the deeper parts of the ocean are super mysterious which was also part of Cosmic but that's not a point I wanna talk about in depth at 11:50 PM.
breaking news: zapdos.inc lost 90% of its stock
:gs/ampharos:
Pokémon/Move: Ampharos
New-type: Electric / Cosmic
Stats/Characteristics: 90 / 75 / 75 / 115 / 90 / 55

Competitive: For long amphy has been outclassed by various electric types in OU, being part-Cosmic could separate it from others and shine in the current metagame. With Cosmic being a special type, ampharos can utilize its notable special attacking stat better. It also has Fire Punch, which hits 3 Cosmic resists super effectively. Defensive wise, great special bulk and BoltBeam resist, paired with the already good mono electric type makes this pokemon a good tank, too.

Flavor Justification: Ampharos is the Light pokemon, its light is described as "can be seen from space", with Cosmic being all about energy and space, I think Ampharos should get the type.

Re-quoting my initial post as submissions:

Ergo, I will be submitting the following options for this slate:

Clefable: Cosmic

1. Starmie: Water/Cosmic

2. Staryu: Cosmic
Starmie: Cosmic/Psychic

1. Porygon2: Cosmic

2. Porygon2: Normal/Cosmic

And additionally:

Tri Attack: Normal -> Cosmic

Obviously same effect as usual, that being a base 80 attack with 20% chance to either burn, paralyse or freeze the target.

Flavour thing I've noticed is that Cosmic actually resists all three of these types naturally, but then would be weak to Tri Attack itself. Two wrongs may not make a right, but maybe Three do???

For reference, these Mons all learn Tri Attack:

:spearow::fearow: , :clefairy::clefable: , :dugtrio: , :abra::kadabra::alakazam: , :slowpoke::slowbro::slowking: , :magneton: , :doduo::dodrio: , :shellder::cloyster: , :drowzee::hypno: , :chansey::blissey: , :staryu::starmie: , :porygon::porygon2:, :mewtwo: , :mew:

:psyduck::golduck: (event)
When you look at the new types added in gsc, 2(technically 3 but one was a prevo) Pokémon gained steel, one evolved to gain steel. And 2 (Forry and Skarm )were gained. In Dark we have awful Murkrow and Sneasel, Houndour and it’s evo Houndoom, Tyranitar, and Umbreon. Very few, mostly bad. Going by this, with the way we want it to be framed, The cosmic Pokémon should be mostly Kanto/Mt Silver type Pokémon.

I support Starmie because it’s mainly a kanto pokemon, pretty strong. And it switches up its matchups in a cool way. I like the eeveelutions but don’t specifically want them, so just post that and then we can let the people decide. But that’s been talked about a lot. I like Ursaring, but none of its gsc flavor is space related so I wouldn’t change it outright. But the suggestions I want to emphasize my support of are

:GS/Magby::GS/Magmar:
Magmar Fire/Cosmic

Frequently is compared with the sun, gives it an advantage over its counterpart in electabuzz. It also is mentioned that it uses its fire to like, remove the cold, and that being the cold of space is really cool flavorwise.

:gs/staryu::GS/Starmie:
Staryu and Starmie Cosmic/Psychic -> Water/Cosmic

Already been over, but specifying this typing for the line is how it should be. Staryu evolves into Starmie via a Water Stone.

:GS/Tangela:
Tangela Grass/Cosmic

Useful interpretation of cosmic as more mysterious vs spacey.

Mainly wanted to share my thoughts, cool FWG core with this that I like quite a bit. Making this a real Trio could be rad though. As they do all have similarities.
Refresh your page if the option to expand the quotes is not showing up.

Please message me if there are any errors with the way your submission is listed!

Voting will close on Tuesday, August 2th!

Last edited:
Black Hole: Cosmic - Y
Espeon: Psychic/Cosmic - N
Umbreon: Dark/Cosmic - N
Stantler: Normal/Cosmic - Y
Grimer/Muk: Poison/Cosmic - Y
Moonlight: Cosmic - Y
Swift: Cosmic - Y
Wigglytuff: Normal/Cosmic - Y
Xatu: Psychic/Cosmic - Y
Morning Sun: Cosmic - N
Comet Punch: Cosmic - Y
Ampharos: Electric/Cosmic - Y
Lanturn: Water/Cosmic - Y
Clefable: Cosmic - Y

Starmie: Water/Cosmic* - Y
Staryu/Starmie: Cosmic -> Cosmic/Psychic - N

Porygon 2: Cosmic - N (You have to voting choose the opposite option for the next sub.)
Porygon 2: Normal/Cosmic Y

Tri Attack: Cosmic - Y
Magmar: Cosmic/Fire - N
Tangela: Grass/Cosmic - Y

Ema Skye

Work!
Black Hole: Cosmic - N
Espeon: Psychic/Cosmic - Y
Umbreon: Dark/Cosmic - Y
Wigglytuff: Normal/Cosmic - N
Xatu: Psychic/Cosmic - N
Morning Sun: Cosmic - Y
Lanturn: Water/Cosmic - N
Clefable: Cosmic - N

Starmie: Water/Cosmic* - N

Porygon 2: Cosmic - N
Porygon 2: Normal/Cosmic - N

Last edited:
Black Hole: Cosmic -N
Espeon: Psychic/Cosmic - Y

Magmar: Cosmic/Fire - Y
Tangela: Grass/Cosmic - N

Stantler: Normal/Cosmic - N
Morning Sun: Cosmic - N

Porygon 2: Cosmic - N (You have to voting choose the opposite option for the next sub.)
Porygon 2: Normal/Cosmic N

Rezzo

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Pre-Contributor
Grimer/Muk: Poison/Cosmic - N
Comet Punch: Cosmic - N
Ampharos: Electric/Cosmic - N

Porygon 2: Cosmic - Y (You can only choose Yes for one of these.)

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Black Hole: Cosmic - N
Stantler: Normal/Cosmic - N

Porygon 2: Cosmic - Y

Espeon: Psychic/Cosmic - X (don’t feel strongly one way or the other, so I’ll leave it up to others)
Umbreon: Dark/Cosmic - X (same as ^)

Porygon 2: Normal/Cosmic - Y

(While I’m voting no for giving Cosmic to a lot of the Pokémon here, I’m very much a fan of future Cosmic-type evolutions for any/all of them! Just don’t want to flood the metagame with too many mons of a new type too quickly.)

Comet Punch: Cosmic - N
Ampharos: Electric/Cosmic - N

Porygon 2: Cosmic - Y (You can only choose Yes for one of these.)

Parroting what Stonecat said here. I want a Cosmic evo for Tangela and Magmar. We've discussed it on the discord I think instead we can do that for these two, and on this slate even.
Just my opinion thrown in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)