Egg Moves:
Haze
Confuse Ray
Nature Power
Destiny Bond
Water Pulse
Head Smash

New Ability: Perish Body
When hit by a move that makes direct contact, the Pokémon and the attacker will faint after three turns unless they switch out of battle.

Pros:
-Cursola boasts an insanely high 145 Special Attack which in conjunction with its strong offensive Ghost-typing can dismantle defensive cores.
-Ghost is also decent enough defensively and its remarkable 130 Special Defense lets it soak up a lot from most Special Attackers.
-Cursola holds an interesting niche over its preevolution. It isn’t restricted to an Eviolite which offers more breathing room in its item choice while also being able to run strong offensive moves thanks to its enormous Special Attack.
-Perish Body alongside the utility of Will-O-Wisp and Strength Sap can let it dissuade Physical Attackers and open up many 50/50s and trades to make your opponent think again with their actions.
-Similarly to Corsola, its Ghost-typing makes it a spinblocker alongside a hazard setter.

Cons:
-Cursola is seriously slow and is overwhelmed in matchups agains offense.
-While Perish Body, Will-O-Wisp, and Strength Sap can mitigate this issue to some degree, its pitiful Defense stat leaves it KOed by strong physical wallbreakers.
-Cursola is weak to Knock Off and has poor matchups against the likes of Grimmsnarl and Hydreigon.
-Strength Sap can sometimes be an unreliable recovery move when up against opposing Pokemon with measly Attack stats.

Dynamax Potential:
There isn’t really too much potential with Cursola and there’s so many better options even if you decide to opt for a more offensive set. After it Calm Minds up Cursola does have the potential to be powerful and it has some decent coverage. Hydro Pump or Scald will set up Rain when dynamaxed which could enable Barraskewda and other Water-types. Other than that, you really should be using a faster mon for dynamaxing in most cases tbh.

Movesets:

Utility Tank
Cursola @ Leftovers
Ability: Perish Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Hex / Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp / Haze
- Strength Sap

Cursola makes for one of the more interesting Stealth Rock setters in this metagame. 145 Special Attack even when unboosted is no joke and its still got some nice bulk behind it. Cursola can be a little difficult to pilot in the match but Strength Sap and Will-O-Wisp can stop a lot of Physical Attackers. Perish Body is of course its trump card if any opposing Pokemon gets out of hand. Opting for Haze over Will-O-Wisp along with Shadow Ball seems feasible to stop any Special Attackers.

Choice Specs
Cursola @ Choice Specs
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe OR 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest / Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Scald / Power Gem / Earth Power

Honestly for Specs Cursola Shadow Ball and Ice Beam is all the coverage you need and everything else is filler for fringe scenarios. Hydro Pump for those T-tars, Zards, and Coalossals or Scald to avoid accuracy bullshit. Other than that the other moves feel rather placeholder-ish. I have 168 Spe on this set to outpace Toxapex alongside max SpA with the rest going into health. The other spread is for Trick Room teams which I feel that Specs Cursola benefits from the most. Trick Room even with Room Service will most likely be gimmicky as always but Cursola could definitely be a staple for the archetype because of its powerhouse qualities and Perish Body to fuck any sweeper’s day. Either way if you can get Cursola onto the field, something’s dying.

Double Dance
Cursola @ Leftovers
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Defense
- Strength Sap

This set feels way more gimmicky but I’ll share it anyway. Here we have wincon Cursola which plays similarly to Reuni. You just want to click Iron Defense immediately so that you can live against Physical Attackers. Continue to boost up with Calm Mind while sapping away the opposition’s Attack with Strength Sap and as long as you avoid status you can cheese your way through. Weak Armor punishes Physical Attackers even more by just upping your Speed while you can simply Iron Defense and circumvent any Defense drops. Not really an optimal set but a fun one at least.

Final Thoughts:
I honestly really like Cursola and it has some fine distinctions compared to its more popular preevolution. I’d even go as far to say that this is kinda slept on and if played correctly, can gravely punish your opponent.

Last edited:
Here's an idea that capitalizes on Perish Body

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Modest
EV's: (HP 252) (Sp.Att. 252) (Def. 4)
Whirlpool
Strength Sap
Protect/Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Ball/Hex

Trap with Whirlpool if you anticipate a physical attack or on the turn directly after contact. Use Strength Sap to recover health and impair physical attacks trying to exploit your weaker physical defense. Stall with Protect to burn a turn for the song to continue and heal with Leftovers or use Will-O-Wisp to impair physical damage on top of Strength Sap. Use Shadow Ball as your staple STAB, though consider using Hex instead if you are opting for the Will-O-Wisp route.

Last edited:
Is Galarian-Corsala better than this, because I've seen it a lot more on the ladder.
They preform entirely different roles, so a direct comparison isn’t exactly useful here. Cursola is a slow wallbreaker that works well with trick room and has some neat tech options, while corsola-g is a wall that shuts down a lot of important physical sweepers with wisp and strength sap, such as gyarados and barraskewda.

From there, it’s safe to say that most teams prefer the functions that corsola-g have instead of cursola, since most want a way to shut down the insanely strong physical threats so far, but they both serve different teams differently.

They preform entirely different roles, so a direct comparison isn’t exactly useful here. Cursola is a slow wallbreaker that works well with trick room and has some neat tech options, while corsola-g is a wall that shuts down a lot of important physical sweepers with wisp and strength sap, such as gyarados and barraskewda.

From there, it’s safe to say that most teams prefer the functions that corsola-g have instead of cursola, since most want a way to shut down the insanely strong physical threats so far, but they both serve different teams differently.
Ok thx, both look really cool to use!

I thought HA meant Haha instead of Hidden Ability and spent way too long trying to figure out why Perish Body is funny.

I guess direct contact activation with 50 base defense is a pretty cruel joke...
You don't need to make contact for Cursed Body to activate. Any move that hits it has a chance to be disabled

Hi
I've been running a Defensive Cursola, with perish body and eject button onto sub/protect Dugtrio, to trap and ensure the enemy mon is gone.

Cursola (F) @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Then, I eject to this Dugtrio here, to stall for these 3 perish turns:

Dugtrio (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Memento

The suprise factor on this has been working wonders so far. I'd definitely recommend you guys to try it at least once, just for fun.

Having weak armor with stats like these really is cursed, maybe I'm talking out of my ass here but ok typing and pretty great special stats makes me think it could be a good assault vest user. I can see it running blizzard or some shit on a more gimmicky set to fuck with any hydreigon switch ins.

It might be hard to pull Strenght Sap while having 60 HP coupled with 50 Def when not behind a Substitute or when not getting a switch in from the opponent. I would suggest investing EVs on Defense and split the remaining EVs among HP and SpA and/or have a slot for Substitute, Iron Defense could also work. Offensive sets expecting to not get a Physical attacker on the way would benefit from Giga Drain instead, which might be helpful if you're looking for an Assault Vest set.

It might be hard to pull Strenght Sap while having 60 HP coupled with 50 Def when not behind a Substitute or when not getting a switch in from the opponent. I would suggest investing EVs on Defense and split the remaining EVs among HP and SpA and/or have a slot for Substitute, Iron Defense could also work. Offensive sets expecting to not get a Physical attacker on the way would benefit from Giga Drain instead, which might be helpful if you're looking for an Assault Vest set.
Nah this thing has a double issue:
-if it runs Perish Body, it can't boost as it will faint in 3 turns;
-if it runs Weak Armor, it will semi-negate its boost for an useless +2 Spe (Double Dance sets), and/or exacerbate the already low Def by dropping it more and more for a still useless +2 Spe (CM sets without Iron Defense).
Argnam 's idea is superb as long as Arena Trap doesn' t get banned somehow: a max HP/max Def Cursola with Eject Button, taking whatever damage move it takes, switch out, and trap with Duggy. Other sets including Whirlpool are meh, as it has 85 accuracy and forces you to stay in 2 turns, a thing Cursola could not actually do 100% of times.
Looking at a special AV tank is also meh: even though it has a stellar 145 SpA and gets a very colorful movepool made of (mainly) STAB Shadow Ball, coverage Ice Beam, Power Gem, Giga Drain, Earth Power, Scald/Hydro Pump, and Psychic, it still has a very low Def and would probably get worn down quickly by even weak physical moves.
Gonna leave the AV set I had in my mind, I know it's suboptimal but oh well

Cursola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Quiet / Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball / Hex
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Earth Power / Giga Drain / Power Gem

STAB is up to your choice: Shadow Ball goes well, Hex+Scald (and Ice Beam, believe in the Peeko and the freeze) to exploit the burns spread by Scald.
Ice Beam is a cool tool to pick off Flying-types that are immune to Ghost (Braviary for example), Dragon-, Grass-, and Ground-types.
Personally I slashed EP as "first of the lasts" because ot gives nice coverage with Ice Beam: one can also opt for Giga Drain to give Cursola some blessed recovery (AV = no SSap) and a way to deal with Gastrodon and Seismitoad (that I think you will meet more often, thanks to Dracovish).
I suggest not to Dynamax this Cursola: even though it could become a behemoth on the special side (if running EP, you get an additional +1 SpD), its STAB lowers opposing Defense, which is useless on a special tank; moreover, it doesn't benefit a lot from Grassy Terrain (Giga Drain), and absolutely hates hail chip damage brought in by Max Hailstorm.
EVs are pretty straightforward: max HP/max Def to live things, Quiet 4 SpA to adjust some damages, but you can opt for more Def and go Relaxed. 0 IVs to be the last one to die from Perish Body. You can go full caveman and do Modest/Quiet 252 SpA but do not expect to see tomorrow's sunrise lmao

Nah this thing has a double issue:
-if it runs Perish Body, it can't boost as it will faint in 3 turns;
-if it runs Weak Armor, it will semi-negate its boost for an useless +2 Spe (Double Dance sets), and/or exacerbate the already low Def by dropping it more and more for a still useless +2 Spe (CM sets without Iron Defense).
Argnam 's idea is superb as long as Arena Trap doesn' t get banned somehow: a max HP/max Def Cursola with Eject Button, taking whatever damage move it takes, switch out, and trap with Duggy. Other sets including Whirlpool are meh, as it has 85 accuracy and forces you to stay in 2 turns, a thing Cursola could not actually do 100% of times.
Looking at a special AV tank is also meh: even though it has a stellar 145 SpA and gets a very colorful movepool made of (mainly) STAB Shadow Ball, coverage Ice Beam, Power Gem, Giga Drain, Earth Power, Scald/Hydro Pump, and Psychic, it still has a very low Def and would probably get worn down quickly by even weak physical moves.
Gonna leave the AV set I had in my mind, I know it's suboptimal but oh well

Cursola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Quiet / Relaxed Nature
- Shadow Ball / Hex
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Earth Power / Giga Drain / Power Gem

STAB is up to your choice: Shadow Ball goes well, Hex+Scald (and Ice Beam, believe in the Peeko and the freeze) to exploit the burns spread by Scald.
Ice Beam is a cool tool to pick off Flying-types that are immune to Ghost (Braviary for example), Dragon-, Grass-, and Ground-types.
Personally I slashed EP as "first of the lasts" because ot gives nice coverage with Ice Beam: one can also opt for Giga Drain to give Cursola some blessed recovery (AV = no SSap) and a way to deal with Gastrodon and Seismitoad (that I think you will meet more often, thanks to Dracovish).
I suggest not to Dynamax this Cursola: even though it could become a behemoth on the special side (if running EP, you get an additional +1 SpD), its STAB lowers opposing Defense, which is useless on a special tank; moreover, it doesn't benefit a lot from Grassy Terrain (Giga Drain), and absolutely hates hail chip damage brought in by Max Hailstorm.
EVs are pretty straightforward: max HP/max Def to live things, Quiet 4 SpA to adjust some damages, but you can opt for more Def and go Relaxed. 0 IVs to be the last one to die from Perish Body. You can go full caveman and do Modest/Quiet 252 SpA but do not expect to see tomorrow's sunrise lmao
I have been running it with mixed to good results. With investment in HP and special attack. Concentrating on it's strengths more than covering it's weaknesses. My move set is Shadow ball, Earth power, Giga drain and Ice beam. It is great for Rotoms. Plus it always wins the one to one with Hydreigon and special Dargapult. Giga drain is good because Sesmitoad is so common right now. Perish body works best I find to stop physical set up sweepers by putting a timer on them.

The best set I’ve been running on this boi is a little odd, but useful.

I’ve been using a max HP/SpAtk build with assault vest. With a modest nature you wind up with about 420SpAtk, and 440ish~ SpDef. If you know a special attack is coming, and it’s not dark/ghost, this guy is basically a free switch. Watch him then proceed to 1-2hko most mons.

Cursola @ Assault Vest
modest
252 hp/ 252 SpAtk/ 4 spdef
Giga drain
Earth power
Shadow ball
Ice beam

Last edited:
Cursola @ Assault Vest
modest
252 hp/ 252 SpAtk/ 4 spdef
Giga drain
Earth power
Shadow ball
Ice beam
What if you ran this the same way, except make the nature Quiet, hold a life orb, and give it Trick Room support?
Another way I've thought about this is:

Cursola @ Weakness Policy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

The WP set can hit the same shadow ball 28%-32% harder than the aforementioned LO set if it has survived a non-stab super effective hit from an ally or an opponent without any SpA investment.

With higher base SpA than Hatterene, this thing could have massive sweeping potential. I plan on testing this as soon as I breed a good one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)