XY OU Dark and Dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purgatorial hellfire dancing in the abyss,
distorting black flame in turbid crimson darkness,
the light that leads to madness, screams, and destruction,
admonishing sin with sin:
gouge your dark fragment in my body,
and bare your fangs against arrogant providence!
Dark and Dark!

So with the introductions out of the way, let's move on to the teambuilding process:

The team was based around the idea of Sableye + hazards, since I noticed that it had excellent utility in winning the hazard war with the capability to spinblock and to prevent opposing hazards from going up in the first place (with Magic Bounce). I was stuck at this point since it was still not enough to build a team around. The moment of inspiration came when I thought of using Bisharp. Together, with Sable, it forms a nasty anti-spin core that prevents spinning and pressures defoggers. It can also deal with Clefable, a huge threat to Sable, eventually down the line. Thus the SableSharp core was born.

Next, I wanted hazard users that had reliable recovery since this was not meant to be a hyper offensive team, which lacks consistency. A quick search on showdown revealed a number of interesting possibilities:

Code:
/ds spikes, recovery, all, !nfe, !lc, !uber
/ds stealth rock, recovery, all, !nfe, !lc, !uber
Initially I settled on Skarmory for Spikes and Celebi for Stealth Rock. I had known Celebi had trouble with VoltTurn so I thought of using Rocky Helmet Skarmory. The reason for Celebi was because Bisharp signals a Keldeo weakness which had to be dealt with sooner or later.

At this point, Charizard X seemed to be a huge threat to the team so Slowbro was chosen to wall it. Chansey was added shortly after to wall the other side of things (CharY). This completed the wall core of Chansey + N(2) physical walls. It also serves as a cleric with Heal Bell support.

Celebi proved to be too much of a let-down by being unable to check Keldeo when paired with Pursuit support (which is to say all of them). It was eventually replaced with Amoonguss and rocks was moved on to Chansey (at the cost of cleric support), thus completing the team:

Bisharp is the lone sweeper of a team comprised of walls. It provides excellent utility in STAB Knock Off which is extremely valuable as a breaking move, coupled with a strong source of priority in Sucker Punch to help take out faster foes. Bisharp is especially good at handling voltTurn teams with scarf landoT thanks to Defiant.

Skarmory is the secondary wall of the team. Its function is to lay down Spikes and punish U-turn spam with Rocky Helm. It is the primary switch in to Bisharp but can't reliably beat it so Counter may be an option over Brave Bird.

Slowbro is the primary physical wall of the team and offers much of what you'd expect from a bulky water (Scald and the ability to take hits). It is the main answer to CharX which is why I've opted for Foul Play over Psyshock or Ice Beam. There's no point in paralyzing it if the rest of the team lack the necessary firepower to finish it off and Toxic would be much too slow. As an aside, it's always fun to see physical attackers kill themselves through rocky helm damage (especially when you regain health on switch out *evil laugh*).

Chansey serves as the Stealth Rock setter for the team. Chansey provides a lot of utility for a pink blob, being able to wall most special attacks in the game while being able to 1v1 most other things with Thunder Wave. It forms the legendary Skarm-chan core along with Skarmory.

Amoonguss is here to check water types such as Keldeo and Rotom-W, it also happens to check Thundurus with the given spread. A well timed Spore can royally screw the opponent over and provide much needed momentum for you to start laying hazards or setting up with Bisharp.

And last but not least, we have Sableye. At first I ran max def. but opted for a sp.def spread in order to fare better against Gengar. At first, the only two moves that were certain were Will-O-Wisp and Recover but since the last two slots were unused, I decided to try out the sweeping set with Calm Mind to give it more utility. This became sweeper #2 and led to the creation of a Dark sweeping core (that targets both sides of the spectrum to avoid redundancy) which I refer to as "Dark and Dark".

For those of you wondering why I'm missing 4 evs on all my pokemon, the reason is simply because I don't care about spreads. 4 evs are a negligible, almost insignificant, amount that might come in handy in only 1 in 65535 battles, not worth the effort (imo). I'd much rather win through my building or battling skills. Think of it as a small handicap if you will

Dark and Dark of the End!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you all enjoyed it.

Also, Merry Christmas ^.^

Threats:

- Only the Belly Drum version but nonetheless a [huge] threat
- With Taunt. Against garde it might be good idea to Seismic Toss with Chansey first then Twave since it can potentially 2hko with Psyshock after taunt. Choosing seismic toss first doesn't lead to an instant loss if wrong since Bisharp can always revenge after a para on CM versions.

Bisharp @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Hi!
Your team has really good type synergy, but I think there are improvements to be made in terms of your EV spreads.

First off, you are missing an extra 4 EVs in every Pokemon. Though it might not seem like much, those extra 4 EVs still do help.

Anyways, onto an analysis of each mon.

For Bisharp, I don't think you need that much Speed investment. Since you are running Thunder Wave on two mons, you have good Speed Control on your team, and Bisharp won't really appreciate staying in on any Ground Types which are immune to Thunder Wave. Bisharp can't really outspeed most mons in OU anyways. Instead, you should go with a set like this:

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

For Skarmory, I don't think you should think about countering Bisharp at all, I think you should leave it to your other teammates to do that (I'll go into detail about that later). I think you should just keep that set on Skarmory because it's a pretty good set for your purposes, though you might want to switch out Spikes > Stealth Rocks because your team is weak to Fire Types in general.

Your Slowbro set is very interesting, so I'm not going to comment on that since I have never seen something like that in play. I'll leave it up to you to decide what to do with it.

Your Chansey set is not very effective I don't think for your team. You already have two very good Physical Walls in Skarmory and Slowbro so you shouldn't put any Defense EVs on Chansey, instead you should focus mainly on Special Attacks. So I would switch the 252 Def EVs to HP and put 4 EVs in Def just in case. But the current set is fine too if being defensive Physically and Specially is a concern for you.

Your Amoonguss looks good, but I would use Sassy as its Nature just in case you run into Trick Room teams and Amoonguss can't really outspeed anything anyways.

Lastly, for your Sableye, I do think you should run Max Defense. The reason is because Sableye has access to Calm Mind, boosting its Special Defense considerably. So you're going to want all the Defense you can get in order to survive most hits. Plus, with the addition of Will-O-Wisp, you can easily take most Physical hits. Just play smart with it. Will-O before Mega Evolving so you can get that Prankster priority, and then Mega Evolve to Calm Mind.

All in all, good team type-wise. You can benefit from some EV Spread changes though.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.
Your descriptions are too short to fit the RMT rules requirements.
I encourage you to PM me an updated version of this team with beefed up descriptions, and if you're new to this, join the Mentor Program. I'll be unlocking this thread after that.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)