Monotype Dark-type team, ready to bother

Introduction

This is my first time posting here, I hope you’ll like this! This is the Dark-type team I’ve been using for Monotype lately. It works well-enough against teams that rely on set-up or teams that don’t go full-offence from the first turn. I’ve been having issues with very offensive teams, though, and with some specific Pokémon like Mega-Diancie, Diggersby, Araquanid or Kommo-o with Clangorous Soulblaze. I’m hoping you guys can offer some advice on dealing with those.

The Team

Blingbling (Sableye-Mega) (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Recover

Sableye's role is to cripple the opponent's sweepers as much as possible, with Prankster-boosted Taunt for those Pokémon that like to set up in Turn 1 and Will-O-Wisp for the physical attackers, as well as some chip damage. Recover is there to keep the annoyance for as long as possible, as well as stall burnt or poisoned opponents. Finally Knock Off is there for both the utility and the reliable damage, albeit low (mostly). Sableye's also my dedicated lead because of its bulk and because I often need to mega-evolve Sableye as fast as possible, since regular Sableye can be so frail.

Sharpie (Bisharp) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Bisharp's main role is that of the late game sweeper. Once I've made sure the high-damage threats are gone, Bisharp can come in for the clean-up. I run Substitute on it for a safer Swords Dance, as well as to avoid being burnt or paralyzed if possible, or in very specific scenarios, to avoid Ditto's Transform and some Grass-types Leech Seed. Sucker Punch is there for the STAB priority, and Iron Head for the reliable damage and Fairy advantadge. Defiant is there to punish Sticky Web and Defog, and also to prevent Intimidate. I run Black Glass with it to give that extra bit of damage to Sucker Punch, since I couldn't find another object that it could benefit from.

Madamada (Greninja) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- U-turn

Greninja's there for the high damage and high speed, with Choice Scarf to make sure it can outspeed opponents even after a Dragon Dance or a Quiver Dance. Gunk Shot is there to keep Fairy-types in check. I run Grass Knot over HP-Grass or HP-Electric since most Pokémon will trigger at least a base-60 Grass Knot anyway, and a lot of Water teams have at least a Ground-type Pokémon to avoid the Electric-damage. Scald is there for the burn possiblity and U-turn to pair with the Choice-Scarf.

Funko Pop (Persian-Alola) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Play Rough

Alolan Persian's head is so big because it's full of utility. I usually use Persian to switch-in after I've had a Pokémon faint, since it doesn't take direct switch-ins too well. Fake Out is there for the chip damage to break Focus Sash, as well as racking up the burn, poison or sandstorm damage. Z-Parting Shot is the only real reason for having Alolan Persian on a team, for the reliable healing, with regular Parting Shot's attack drop being great to allow Bisharp or Muk to set up more safely, or to help the bulkier Sableye and Tyranitar last longer. I rarely click Foul Play and Play Rough, which are the to punish set-ups (which I rarely outspeed anyway) or for some coverage respectively. Since Persian is not gonna be attacking too often, I prefer running Fur Coat over Technician, to allow it to function better as a pivot for the team.

Big Momma (Tyranitar) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Tyranitar has two main uses in this team, the first is setting up Stealth Rock against those threatening Bug-type teams, as well as baiting Defog for Bisharp. The other use is that of a bulky attacker, with Rock-types x1.5 SpDef in sandstorm. Sand Stream is not only there for the eextra bulk but also to prevent rain and sun in Fire and Water-type teams. Finally, its attacks are just there for coverage.

Rainbow Road (Muk-Alola) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak
- Thunder Punch
- Curse

Last but not least is Alolan Muk, with its bulk allowing it to function as the team's pivot. Poison touch is there for further annoyance, with Curse and Black Sludge to allow it to stay in for longer, as well as powering up Shadow Sneak. Thunder Punch is there for coverage.

Conclusion
There's not much more to say. This team fits my kind of safe, bulk oriented playstyle which works great with some predicting, but it has its weak spots in strong, offensive mons that don't need set-up. I hope you'll be able to advice me, and if not, at least I hope this helps someone else's teambuilding. Thanks!

Last edited:
This is a pretty cool team you have here but I think a lot of the sets and spreads could be adjusted to make it even better.

1541024708700.png

Mega Sableye set is fine overall, but Protect provides a lot more utility than Taunt in order to safely mega evolve as well as stall out turns with Will-O-Wisp. I'm also putting some EVs into Defense so it can switch into some physical attackers like Choice Scarf Terrakion more reliably.

1541025254644.png

Bisharp really wants a reliable hard hitting STAB in Knock Off to punish walls like Toxapex. I'm also giving it Darkinium Z as a nuke which picks up curcial OHKOs on alot of defensive Pokemon after a boost, as well as investing into speed so it outspeeds most walls.

1541025553005.png

I'm going to give Greninja Ice Beam over Grass Knot as it hits a lot more threats in general, especially helping with Dragon and Ground teams. Also, the extra power of Hydro Pump is needed over Scald to more reliably score KOs. Lastly, Naive is preferred over Hasty to tank Dragonite's Extreme Speed easier.

1541026694338.png

Alolan Persian is outclassed as a physical wall and pivot by Mandibuzz, which prevents Mega Lopunny, Breloom, and Mega Pinsir from smashing the entire team. It also provides Defog in case any hazards slip past Mega Sableye.

1541027620344.png

I'm going to make Tyranitar more of a defensive set as it compliments Mandibuzz quite well as a special wall, being able to set Stealth Rocks and spread Toxic poisoning while reliably switching into Volcarona and Latios. It still is able to have good offensive presence with STAB Stone Edge vs many Defoggers and frail attackers.

1541028024209.png

Lastly, Muk should be made into a Curse+Recycle set, which allows it to be a special tank against Fairy-types like Mega Diancie and Tapu Koko, while being able to become an offensive threat after a few boosts, helping with bad matchups like Electric and Fairy. 12 Defense EVs are to live Banded Victini's V-Create at +1 Defense.

Hope you enjoy the team!
Blingbling (Sableye-Mega) (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Recover

Sharpie (Bisharp) (M) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Madamada (Greninja) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Big Momma (Tyranitar) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Fire Blast

Rainbow Road (Muk-Alola) (F) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)