Battle Spot Darmanitan-Galar (Series 12)

DerpySuX

I’ll encourage ya smile, I’d expect you don’t cry
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Reject Humanity, Become Monke

[SET]
name: GORILLA WARFARE
move 1: Icicle Crash
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Earthquake / Stone Edge / Superpower
item: Choice Scarf / Focus Sash
ability: Gorilla Tactics
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its sky high Attack stat and the in-built Choice Band of Gorilla Tactics, Galarian Darmanitan boasts the highest natural raw Attack in the game.

* Flare Blitz provides valuable coverage against Steel-Types like Zacian-C, Necrozma-DM and Ferrothorn.

* Earthquake hits Rock-Types for heavy damage and provides a way to threaten foes like Zacian-C without the recoil of Flare Blitz.

* U-turn makes Galarian Darmanitan a great pivot, doing heavy damage to most targets while maintaining a switch advantage.

* Stone Edge and Rock Slide can be used to heavily pressure Ho-Oh.

* Superpower is great for breaking through Tyranitar, Chansey, and Blissey with minimal stress. Should you choose to Dynamax Galarian Darmanitan, you can use Max Knuckle to take its Attack to unmatched levels.

* It is worth noting that when Dynamaxed, Galarian Darmanitan will lose its Gorilla Tactics boost, so Dynamax should only be used when it is necessary to switch moves

Items
========

* Choice Scarf helps patch up Galarian Darmanitan’s somewhat disappointing Speed stat, allowing it to threaten the likes of Eternatus more easily.

* Focus Sash can let Galarian Darmanitan get around its abysmal bulk, ensuring it gets an attack off as a lead and potentially letting you preserve it for later in the game. If hazards are not in play, Focus Sash Galarian Darmanitan can also be used to threaten big damage on Max Airstream users, such as Yveltal.

* Choice Band takes Galarian Darmanitan’s offense to new heights, letting it perform absurd feats such as OHKOing fully defensive Toxapex with Earthquake, alongside making its Icicle Crash all but impossible to safely switch into.

[SET]
name: Zen Mode
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Yawn / Superpower / Stone Edge
item: Focus Sash
ability: Zen Mode

[SET COMMENTS]

* By using Zen Mode, Galarian Darmanitan gains the ability to switch moves, potentially securing a surprise KO. Zen Mode also increases Darmanitan-G’s Attack and Speed even further once activated. The Speed boost makes it quite fast, and it can surprise previously-faster targets with a devastating second attack.

* Flare Blitz is valuable coverage against Steel-types such as Zacian-C and Necrozma-DM, additionally, the recoil from Flare Blitz can potentially activate Zen Mode, boosting its offenses and giving it STAB on Flare Blitz.

* Earthquake hits Rock-types such as Tyranitar for heavy damage while also threatening the odd Heatran.

* With Yawn, Galarian Darmanitan can support its team in the event it is walled while still being a potent offensive threat. Yawn is also somewhat unexpected on Galarian Darmanitan, since opponents must respect the more common Gorilla Tactics set.

* Stone Edge can be used to heavily pressure Ho-Oh.

* Superpower provides super effective coverage against Chansey, Blissey, and Tyranitar, as well as giving Galarian Darmanitan access to Max Knuckle.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[DerpySuX, 528485]]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010], [greilmercenary9, 336524]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Adeleine, 517429]]

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Checking this now that I have time!

- For Focus Sash, I'd argue another selling point is being able to survive Max Airstream Pokemon and threaten massive damage, stuff like Zapdos and Yveltal (since they will outspeed Scarf).

- I think it's worth bringing up that Dynamax will nuliify the Gorilla Tactics boost, generally you're Dynamaxing to switch moves.

- I'd describe what Superpower and Stone Edge do on Zen Mode, since they're slash in with Yawn.

Anyways, Darm is simple and good, so implement those tiny things and I'll give this a QC 1/2!

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Checking this now that I have time!

- For Focus Sash, I'd argue another selling point is being able to survive Max Airstream Pokemon and threaten massive damage, stuff like Zapdos and Yveltal (since they will outspeed Scarf).

- I think it's worth bringing up that Dynamax will nuliify the Gorilla Tactics boost, generally you're Dynamaxing to switch moves.

- I'd describe what Superpower and Stone Edge do on Zen Mode, since they're slash in with Yawn.

Anyways, Darm is simple and good, so implement those tiny things and I'll give this a QC 1/2!
Thank you! I have made those changes :)

So I saw that this never got a second QC check (apologies for missing that, although admittedy G-Darm is not my own most used Pokemon ever). Honestly, this pretty much looks good to go already, but there are a couple of minor things you can add:

1. On the first set, U-turn deserves 3rd billing. It's has over a 10% usage advantage on EQ for the 3rd most used move, and of course Scarf U-Turn is always solid when you need a pivot. I would slash U-turn/EQ in slot 3 and note that U-Turn isn't likely to be used on Sash variants, then just put EQ in place of U-Turn as the lead option in the 4th slot.

2. I would personally place Stone Edge ahead of Superpower on the first set's 4th move options, as hitting Ho-Oh is a big deal especially given the other offensive threats that Darm-G does well at clearing the way for like Zacian and Cinderace, both of which don't like Zap or Lando all that much, as Zacian/Ace also don't have clean matchups with Ho-Oh. Even full HB Blissey fails to survive Gorilla Tactics Crash, and Chansey needs max HP + max Def to guarantee survival, while Tyranitar is hit SE by other Darm moves (though admittedly is not OHKOed like Superpower, although again if Darm-G is being used to enable other physical attackers then the ones just mentioned have no issues with breaking Ttar offensively anyway). Obviously these priorities shift towards Superpower if it is being used with something like Kyogre, Yveltal, or Calyrex-Shadow that prefer TTar and blobs being eliminated. Way, way tl;dr: 4th moveslot informed by team choice lol.

3. The thing you might add about Zen Darm is that it gives interesting value both in its Zen speed tier as well as being a far more offensive Yawn user than most other mons who carry it. I'm having trouble remembering specific examples, but I do remember playing some mid-high ladder teams that combined this with threats in back (IIRC Xern and DD Zekrom were two of the main ones) to cause serious problems for teams that couldn't afford to give up a free turn to the offensive threats.

Bonus note: The note on maxing Darm that Theorymon made is a good point; generally it only becomes ideal if it looks like a team can't take Darm's combined effectively and is relying on the Choice lock to pivot around it with slower pieces that just avoid 2HKOs. But it does mean that Theorymon's point that maxing Gorilla Tactics is really only to change moves is even more critical since you tend to actually be losing power with the max even with the move BP boost.

Otherwise this looks good, once these points are implemented consider this QC 2/2.

Last edited:

DerpySuX

Thanks a lot, greil! Will be sure to implement those asap :)

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma

[SET]
move 4: Earthquake / Stone Edge / Superpower (unless you wanted to just remove it? in that case, remove the bullet too)

[SET COMMENTS]

* With it’s its sky high Attack stat and the in-built Choice Band of Gorilla Tactics, Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan boasts the highest natural Attack Stat raw Attack in the game.

* Flare Blitz provides valuable coverage against steels Steel-types like Zacian-C, Necrozma-DM, (AC) and Ferrothorn.

* Earthquake hits Rock types Rock-types for heavy damage and provides a way to threaten things foes like Zacian-C without the recoil of Flare Blitz.

* U-turn makes Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan a great pivot, doing heavy damage to most targets while maintaining a switch advantage.

* Superpower is great for breaking through Tyranitar, Chansey, and Blissey with minimal stress. Should you choose to Dynamax Darmanitan-G, Galarian Darmanitan, you can use Max Knuckle to take its attack Attack to unmatched levels.

* It is worth noting that when Dynamaxed, Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan will lose its Gorilla Tactics boost, so Dynamax should only be used when it is necessary for Darmanitan-G to switch moves. (added period)

Items
========

* Choice Scarf helps patch up Darmanitan-G’s Galarian Darmanitan's somewhat disappointing Speed stat, allowing it to threaten the likes of Eternatus more easily.

* Focus Sash can let Darmanitan-G cheat it’s Galarian Darmanitan get around its abysmal bulk, ensuring it gets an attack off as a lead and potentially allowing it to be preserved letting you preserve it for later in the game. If entry hazards are not in play, Focus Sash Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan can also be used to threaten big damage on Max Airstream users, such as Yveltal.

* Choice Band takes Darmanitan-G’s Galarian Darmanitan's offense to new heights, being able to letting it perform absurd feats such as OHKOing fully defensive Toxapex with Earthquake, and alongside making its Icicle Crash all but impossible to safely switch into. (removed extra line breaks under)

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (removed extra linebreak under)

[SET COMMENTS]

* By using Zen Mode, Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan gains the ability to switch moves, potentially grabbing securing (to be totally clear, this is bc "the ability to" isnt really something that "grabs," not bc "formality" or whatever) a surprise KO. Zen Mode also increases Darmanitan-G’s Galarian Darmanitan's Attack and Speed even further once activated. The Speed boost makes it quite fast, and it can surprise previously-faster targets with a devastating second attack.

* With Zen Mode activated, Darmanitan-G becomes quite fast. This can surprise previously faster targets with a devastating second attack.

* Flare Blitz is valuable coverage against Steel-types (added hyphen) such as Zacian-C and Necrozma-DM; (comma -> semicolon) additionally, the recoil from Flare Blitz can potentially activate Zen Mode, boosting Darmanitan-G’s offenses and its Attack and Speed while giving it STAB on Flare Blitz.

* Earthquake hits Rock-types (added hyphen) such as Tyranitar for heavy damage while also threatening the odd Heatran.

* With Yawn, Darmanitan-G can be a potent offensive threat while providing support for Galarian Darmanitan can support its team in the event it is walled while still being a potent offensive threat. Yawn is also somewhat unexpected on Darmanitan-G, since the more common Gorilla Tactics set must be respected. Galarian Darmanitan, since opponents must respect the more common Gorilla Tactics set.

* Superpower provides super effective (removed hyphen) coverage against Chansey, Blissey, and Tyranitar, as well as giving Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan access to Max Knuckle.

[CREDITS]

Adeleine.gif
1/1
GP Team done

DerpySuX

Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma

[SET]
move 4: Earthquake / Stone Edge / Superpower (unless you wanted to just remove it? in that case, remove the bullet too)

[SET COMMENTS]

* With it’s its sky high Attack stat and the in-built Choice Band of Gorilla Tactics, Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan boasts the highest natural Attack Stat raw Attack in the game.

* Flare Blitz provides valuable coverage against steels Steel-types like Zacian-C, Necrozma-DM, (AC) and Ferrothorn.

* Earthquake hits Rock types Rock-types for heavy damage and provides a way to threaten things foes like Zacian-C without the recoil of Flare Blitz.

* U-turn makes Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan a great pivot, doing heavy damage to most targets while maintaining a switch advantage.

* Superpower is great for breaking through Tyranitar, Chansey, and Blissey with minimal stress. Should you choose to Dynamax Darmanitan-G, Galarian Darmanitan, you can use Max Knuckle to take its attack Attack to unmatched levels.

* It is worth noting that when Dynamaxed, Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan will lose its Gorilla Tactics boost, so Dynamax should only be used when it is necessary for Darmanitan-G to switch moves. (added period)

Items
========

* Choice Scarf helps patch up Darmanitan-G’s Galarian Darmanitan's somewhat disappointing Speed stat, allowing it to threaten the likes of Eternatus more easily.

* Focus Sash can let Darmanitan-G cheat it’s Galarian Darmanitan get around its abysmal bulk, ensuring it gets an attack off as a lead and potentially allowing it to be preserved letting you preserve it for later in the game. If entry hazards are not in play, Focus Sash Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan can also be used to threaten big damage on Max Airstream users, such as Yveltal.

* Choice Band takes Darmanitan-G’s Galarian Darmanitan's offense to new heights, being able to letting it perform absurd feats such as OHKOing fully defensive Toxapex with Earthquake, and alongside making its Icicle Crash all but impossible to safely switch into. (removed extra line breaks under)

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (removed extra linebreak under)

[SET COMMENTS]

* By using Zen Mode, Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan gains the ability to switch moves, potentially grabbing securing (to be totally clear, this is bc "the ability to" isnt really something that "grabs," not bc "formality" or whatever) a surprise KO. Zen Mode also increases Darmanitan-G’s Galarian Darmanitan's Attack and Speed even further once activated. The Speed boost makes it quite fast, and it can surprise previously-faster targets with a devastating second attack.

* With Zen Mode activated, Darmanitan-G becomes quite fast. This can surprise previously faster targets with a devastating second attack.

* Flare Blitz is valuable coverage against Steel-types (added hyphen) such as Zacian-C and Necrozma-DM; (comma -> semicolon) additionally, the recoil from Flare Blitz can potentially activate Zen Mode, boosting Darmanitan-G’s offenses and its Attack and Speed while giving it STAB on Flare Blitz.

* Earthquake hits Rock-types (added hyphen) such as Tyranitar for heavy damage while also threatening the odd Heatran.

* With Yawn, Darmanitan-G can be a potent offensive threat while providing support for Galarian Darmanitan can support its team in the event it is walled while still being a potent offensive threat. Yawn is also somewhat unexpected on Darmanitan-G, since the more common Gorilla Tactics set must be respected. Galarian Darmanitan, since opponents must respect the more common Gorilla Tactics set.

* Superpower provides super effective (removed hyphen) coverage against Chansey, Blissey, and Tyranitar, as well as giving Darmanitan-G Galarian Darmanitan access to Max Knuckle.

[CREDITS]

View attachment 4546571/1
GP Team done
Thank you so so much!!! Theorymon I dunno if this is gonna go up bc series 12 is now over, but just in case, it’s finished! :)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uhh... While its passed its sell by date (this is my fault, not yours or Adeleine's), we still have series 12 pages up, so I might as well upload this!

DerpySuX

I have the great honor of writing the last series 12 analysis then pog

Reactions: UT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)