move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Earthquake / Toxic
move 4: U-turn
item: Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Darmanitan, though fragile, can play as a powerful wallbreaker dishing out a tonne of damage, while forcing switches on prominent presences such as Skarmory, Jirachi, Cobalion, Rotom-Mow & Celebi. Care must be taken however, to ensure that it is used sustainably in a way that allows it to survive, without dragging its team down as Darmanitan is handicapped by his defensive stats which leave him unable to take hits, making him unsafe to switch in, during many situations. Due to this, Darmanitan is rendered almost useless against foes it cannot outspeed such as Starmie & Keldeo. A jolly nature is required to outspeed checks such as Krookodile. Heavy Duty Boots allow Darmanitan to remain unaffected from chip damage which become essential in ensuring his survival. Flare Blitz, as Darmanitan's premier move, allows Darmanitan to deal massive amounts of damage, to pokemon that do not resist such as Obstagoon, Sylveon & Mienshao. Use of Flare Blitz however, wears down Darmanitan due to the recoil damage. Rock Slide allows Darmanitan to hit hard Noivern & Kyurem, which can both threaten Darmanitan. Earthquake gives Darmanitan additional coverage to cripple walls such as Tentacruel & Incineroar, while Toxic can be run instead to cripple presences such as Hatterene & Grimmsnarl before switching out. U-Turn allows for Darmanitan to pivot against slower foes, improving his usability, while still dishing out damage. U-Turn also assists in dealing ample damage to checks to Darmanitan such as Krookodile & Slowking.

Teammates such as Terrakion, Lycanroc-Dusk & Kyurem, benefit greatly from Darmanitan’s ability to pressure Steel-Types such as Jirachi & Skarmory as well as being able to bring them in via U-Turn on Slowking & Krookodile. Late-game cleaners such as Mimikyu & Cobalion, also benefit from Darmanitan weakening defensive presences such as Rotom-Wash & Rhyperior. Dual Screen setters such as Grimmsnarl, increase Darmanitan's longevity, allowing him to stay in and deal more damage, allowing him to survive checks, such as Crawdaunt & Krookodile and damage them. Sticky web setters such as Ribombee, increase Darmanitan's usability, allowing Darmanitan to outspeed threats such as Jirachi, Cobalion, Keldeo, Terrakion & Starmie, allowing him to deal great damage &/or switch out via U-Turn. Stealth Rock users, such as Krookodile & Celebi, benefit Darmanitan allowing him to more easily eliminate opposing pokemon such as Incineroar through chip damage. Darmanitan is easily checked by pokemon such as Tentacruel, Terrakion & Keldeo which exploit Darmanitan's fragility and their ability to resist his kit, forces Darmanitan to switch. Darmanitan thus, greatly benefits from checks to these threats such as Obstagoon, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Weezing-Galar & Palossand.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Earthquake
item: Choice Scarf
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[SET]
name: Physical Scarf
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Iron Head/Rock Slide
move 4: Zen Headbutt
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Scarfed Darmanitan is an unrivalled revenge killer in UU, allowing it outspeed virtually all of the meta. Darmanitan's STAB move, Flare Blitz, is a frightening sweeper, OHKOing common presences such as Jirachi, Skarmory, Mimikyu, Cobalion and 2HKOs most of the metagame. Earthquake, although unboosted by Sheer Force, allows Darmanitan to counter defensive threats such as Incineroar & Tentacruel, both of which it 2HKOs as well as OHKOing Toxtricity. Iron Head ensures Darmanitan is capable enough to deal with Weezing-Galar, Terrakion, Kyurem, Tyranitar, Hatterene & Grimmsnarl. Rock Slide can be run instead of Iron Head, to hit Noivern & Talonflame. Zen Headbutt, provides additional coverage against common fighting and poison types such as Mienshao and Weezing-Galar.

An adamant nature coupled with a maximum attack investment allows Darmanitan to cipple defensive walls such as Weezing-Galar and Skarmory. Primarily as a revenge killer, teammates rejoice in Darmanitan's presence to remove threats such as Jirachi & Incineroar, allowing pokemon such as Mimikyu & Cobalion to switch in and clean up. Teammates such as Ninetales, that work with sun teams, synergise well with Darmanitan, allowing his Flare Blitz to wreck havoc upon enemy teams. Darmanitan however is a glass cannon and despite a hefty HP stat, cannot does not handle damage very well due to its lackluster Def and Sp.D stats and switching it in without considering the situation can most likely waste the Darmanitan. In the same manner, if it cannot OHKO or clean a pokemon such as Starmie, Slowbro, Incineroar, Weezing-Galar or Krookodile at full health, it would be essential to switch to a tank such as Blissey or Skarmory. However, hazards can be an encumberance in using Darmanitan effectively and sustainably, and thus, Darmanitan works well with rapid spinners/defoggers such as Tentacruel & Noivern.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[kollo3250, 288949]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:
Reactions: gum

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
This needs a lot of work in its currrent state, but the most pressing issue is the wrong sets. Please make sure you use these 3 sets in this order, (actual moves or slashes may be changed at a later date if QC decides to change these slightly). Please put this analysis back into WIP for now, and update the sets, while reading over my comments on your first set below.

[SET]
name: Heavy-Duty Boots

[SET]

[SET]
name: Choice Band
item: Choice Band

As far as structural issues and other comments go, I'll just go over your first team options to give you some general feedback.

A jolly nature is required to outspeed threats such as Jirachi to me this like suggests you haven't actually used Darm in UU? Jirachi is faster than darm. & Krookodile. Heavy Duty Boots allow Darmanitan to remain unaffected from chip damage which become essential in ensuring his survival. If there is sufficient hazard control on a team, then Expert Belt or even Life Orb no, whole point of running Boots on darmanitan is that Darm just kills itself incredibly quickly, because it has to U-turn around checks like Slowking quite a bit and rack up SR damage, while flare blitz also kills you super quickly, this just makes Life Orb a horrible idea in general. boots gives you a lot more staying power and lets you pivot far more effectively, and actually makes you much more threatening to the other team because you can't just stall it out a few turns and watch it die. can be run to better counter common threats such as Incineroar & Tyranitar. This whole first section should be in the first paragraph not the second Teammates such as Terrakion, Lycanroc-Dusk & Kyurem, benefit greatly from Darmanitan’s ability to remove presences such as Jirachi & Skarmory. General analysis issue but you shouldn't talk about Darmanitan removing Steel-types for teammates, because in reality these Steel-types won't actually stay in on Darm. You can instead talk about Darmanitan pressuring their checks for wallbreaking opportunities, which is a lot more accurate. You can certainly talk about how Lycanroc-DUsk and Kyurem greatly benefit from Darmanitan bringing them in on Slowking with U-turn too Sun teams synergise well with Darmanitan, boosting Flare Blitz to eliminate defensive walls switch ins such as Rotom-Wash & Palossand, which cannot be hit super-effectively by Darmanitan. Sun teams are pretty rare post Venusaur re-ban, both Ninetales and Zard are C+ ranked on VR atm. Darmanitan is hard countered by pokemon such as Starmie, Slowbro not in UU & Krookodile which all possess the defensive and offensive capability to eliminate Darmanitan. You have got really the wrong impression of what being "hard countered" means, starmie and krookodile don't even switch into Darmanitan, they are just offensive checks, while SlowKING is the only actual "counter" here, and still gets pressured by you constantly u-turning on it. Darmanitan is handicapped by his defensive stats which leave him unable to take hits, making him unsafe to switch in many situations. Due to this, Darmanitan is rendered almost useless against foes it cannot outspeed such as Noivern & Keldeo. In general these three points you make between defensive checks, defensive stats, and faster foes are things you should bring up as downsides of the mon in the first paragraph. For this reason, offensive tanks or sweepers that can clean up these fast pokemon such as Lycanroc-D, Tyranitar & Obstagoon, become essential in clearing the coast, to allow Darmanitan to thrive. you already mentioned Lycanroc-D earlier. This whole sentence doesn't really tell me anything either? You should definitely make the connection between TTar + Obstagoon and your main defensive answer in Slowking too when Darm has U-turn.

These team options are honestly pretty lacking in general, there's things you should definitely be covering that you haven't talked about. Hazard setters, defensive checks to revenge killers like Terrakion/Keldeo/Lycanroc, Late game cleaners that appreciate Darm weakening Rhyp/Rotom-Wash.
I hope this helps you revamp your analysis. Please make sure to address these concerns before you put it back into QC.

This needs a lot of work in its currrent state, but the most pressing issue is the wrong sets. Please make sure you use these 3 sets in this order, (actual moves or slashes may be changed at a later date if QC decides to change these slightly). Please put this analysis back into WIP for now, and update the sets, while reading over my comments on your first set below.

[SET]
name: Heavy-Duty Boots

[SET]

[SET]
name: Choice Band
item: Choice Band

As far as structural issues and other comments go, I'll just go over your first team options to give you some general feedback.

I hope this helps you revamp your analysis. Please make sure to address these concerns before you put it back into QC.
Hey, thanks, I apologise for any inaccuracies or mistakes, I will redo the analyses based on your advice and the sets when I get the chance. Thank you very much and please let me know if there is any other issues that arise. I also wanted to ask whether the Choice Band Set is necessary since in my opinion the Heavy Duty Boots & Choice Scarf are much more viable. Please let me know what you want on this and your outtake on this, thank you very much.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hey, thanks, I apologise for any inaccuracies or mistakes, I will redo the analyses based on your advice and the sets when I get the chance. Thank you very much and please let me know if there is any other issues that arise. I also wanted to ask whether the Choice Band Set is necessary since in my opinion the Heavy Duty Boots & Choice Scarf are much more viable. Please let me know what you want on this and your outtake on this, thank you very much.
We discussed whether we would like a CB set still or not within QC, and ultimately decided that we would like it to remain, as while it might not be seeing a huge amount of usage outside of some ladder games, its still a very potent set with an incredible damage output that really takes advantage of the lack of particularly bulky waters that don't get 2hkoed (washtom) or shredded by u-turn (slowking). CB Darmanitan isn't without its issues compared to other mons, but this is just something you should be sure to highlight in yourr prose.

If you have any further questions or would like some more advice while putting this back into QC, don't hesitate to contact me on Discord as Saria#4720.

We discussed whether we would like a CB set still or not within QC, and ultimately decided that we would like it to remain, as while it might not be seeing a huge amount of usage outside of some ladder games, its still a very potent set with an incredible damage output that really takes advantage of the lack of particularly bulky waters that don't get 2hkoed (washtom) or shredded by u-turn (slowking). CB Darmanitan isn't without its issues compared to other mons, but this is just something you should be sure to highlight in yourr prose.

If you have any further questions or would like some more advice while putting this back into QC, don't hesitate to contact me on Discord as Saria#4720.
Thank you very much.

Reactions: gum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)