ORAS LC Day at the Beach

What's goin on y'all, and welcome to another LC RMT. I'm Joltage, aka a mediocre LCer, and this is my 2nd LC RMT. I've decided to write up this RMT mainly because there is a marked lack of LC RMTs around right now, so I thought I'd put one of my teams out here and hopefully get some good advice. And without further delay I present to you for your rating pleasure....

Day at the Beach
(maybe not the best name, but I could see all these mons in a beach setting, so that's the name I'm going with)

Teambuilding Process

Alright so I think I started building this team sometime around/during the regular season of LCPL, (GO TIMBURRS btw) don't quite remember. But anyway, I was using a lot of Sandile, thanks to LC UU, and I was really liking the little croc, so naturally I decided to try him out in regular LC. In order to do this I decided to implement him in a scaled down version of one of my favorite UU cores (actual UU, not LC UU), and paired him up with Croagunk.

This core does alright, with some pretty solid type synergy, though the weight often falls more on Gunk due to Sandile's admittedly poor bulk. Moving forward I decided that I wanted a flying resist and thus added good ol' Magnemite.

At this point my team was really weak to ground type moves, and I hadn't gotten around to using Snivy since it's hidden ability had been released, so I threw Snivy on the squad. And to compliment Snivy I also added an Omanyte, specifically because I saw a post about this core in the core thread awhile back (I think Shrug posted about it, not sure though). I think I actually just copy/pasted the Snivy set from that post; Omanyte's set however, was Aerow's mixed smash set chosen partially for cool points, and partially because fuck Abra.

Adding Oma did present some problems though because my team was still super weak to ground and my fighting check at this point was Croagunk. So to alleviate this, I added a Natu because it's immune to ground, 4x resistant to fighting, and I generally just really like using this mon.

Unfortunately, this draft of the squad had some notable issues, namely the fact that diglett was a little bit of a bitch and a half. So I ended up replacing Omanyte with another threatening smasher in Shellder after I took this team to a teambuilding workshop in the RMT room on PS. Shoutouts to Levi for that suggestion. While that change doesn't make the team diglett-proof, it helps the matchup a bit.

Now, on to the meat and potatoes...

A Closer Look

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
Level: 5
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD
Quiet Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Knock Off

Alright so, this here is one of my favorite pokemon in the tier due to its ability to soft-check so many things, and that combined with its solid type synergy with Sandile is why Croagunk, once again, finds itself on a team of mine. This is pretty much my standard Croagunk, sporting the same moveset as he does in my previous RMT Abra Food. Once again, I'm basically running the standard 'mixed utility' set, but forgoing the use of Drain Punch in favor of Sucker Punch because fuck Abra, am I right? Actually though; I probably hate Abra almost as much as Shrug does, I just don't choose to write theses on why it's a bad influence on the metagame, but I digress. Anyway Gunk here helps deal with threats such as Pawn, and Smashers thanks to the beautiful move that is Vacuum Wave. Gunk also just provides general team support via Knock Off, and has generally been an all-around, solid mon, as usual. (Credits to Fiend for the change)

Sandile @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe 100 Atk / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Pursuit/Crunch/Thief

Next up we have Sandile, the mon that I built this team to try out. And after using this team for a while, I've got to say, Sandile is kinda cool and could definitely see more usage. It's not really ever gonna set the world alight thanks to him being really inconsistent, but I think he's a cute little role-player to have on the right team. Anyway, going into the building of this team I decided I wanted to go with a 'bulkier' Sandile because I deem the scarf set to be far too inconsistent and I wanted to use some of Sandiles support options anyway. Sandile is sporting Rocks and Taunt for pretty self-explanatory reasons. He's kinda fast sitting at that crowded 17 speed tier and Taunt has been gaming saving on quite a few occasions by preventing set up. Earthquake is obligatory STAB, and the last move is a toss up between Dark STAB, and a Rock move to hit them flying types. I've primarily been running Thief because stealing items is cool, and Sandile doesn't get Knock Off, which really fuckin blows tbh. Running Thief requires you to play more recklessly, because users of Knock Off are often able to beat you 1v1, so Pursuit and Crunch are certainly viable options. At the suggestion of Oma, I have changed the primary 4th move to Stone Edge so Sandile can OHKO standard Fletch and Archen after rocks and 2HKO Standard Vullaby after rock. EVs are max Speed, and max Attack because I wanted that fast Taunt, 156 Defense in order to avoid the 2HKO from itemless Archen's Acrobatics, and 100 Attack so Sandile can Sandile is never gonna be very bulky, so I thought it better to at least maintain some sort of offensive presence. (Credits to Oma for the changes)

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ground

Moving right along, we've got good ol' Scarf Mag. Magnemite here is running it's standard scarf set and provides some much needed speed to this team who otherwise would not have a mon faster than 17 speed, which isn't bad necessarily, but for this team I felt that there should be more speed on it. I actually just realized that Mag has been using a Modest nature, I thought was using Timid, don't really know how that difference has come into play over the lifetime of the team, but it's notable I guess. HP Ground here over HP Grass because I find the ability to hit other Mag more useful than not having to predict the Ground type vs the Chinchou, Grass is still usable though.

Snivy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 156 HP / 240 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

Snivy was always super mediocre up until it got access to its hidden ability, Contrary which turned the smug little snake into quite the threat. This team was built after the initial Snivy hype had died down, but I don't think there was a standard 'best' set at the time, so I stole this set from the good cores thread, where Knock Off was listed in place of HP Fire. I ended up changing to HP Fire to improve my ability to mutilate Ferroseed as well as take Pawn out if it comes down to it. This set only hits 15 speed so Glare is actually really useful for 1) allowing Snivy to outspeed some stuff, and 2) potentially giving free turns to sub. Snivy often serves as a potential win con for the team and has pulled its weight many times, including once beating a Fletchling 1v1 thanks to some severe hax which ultimately allowed me to win the game.

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast

Shellder provides the team with another strong win con. The set is as standard as you can get, though I guess the analysis has Razor Shell over Icicle Spear, so that statement is probably less than accurate, but this is the set I see most commonly. Like I said in my teambuilding process section, this slot used to belong to Omanyte sporting the Aerow set in order to prevent Abra from ending its sweep early. Shellder basically provides the team with everything Omanyte did except the extra bird resist and the mountain of cool points, though Shellder makes up for those with the lack of a weakness to Fighting and Ground.

Natu @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Psychic
- U-turn

Last, but not least, we've got Natu to tie the team together. Natu is actually one of my absolute favorite pokemon to use in LC, and I think it is criminally underrated. The mind games it plays with your opponent alone make this mon so incredibly threatening and annoying to opposing teams. Honestly, this mon is fantastic; with it's amazing ability, surprisingly solid bulk, and insanely deep movepool; it would barely be an exaggeration at all to say that if this thing could hit 18 Speed, I'd be using it on every damn team I make. I like it that much. Unfortunately though, it only hits that crowded ass 17 speed tier and has to speed tie with threats like Archen, Drilburr, and Mienfoo. Though it should be noted that you live almost any Knock Off from Foo from full, only life orb has a chance to OHKO, and that's only a 6.3% chance. Anyway, Natu is running a fast bulky set hitting 21/14/11 bulk (not quite enough EVs to hit 12 Sdef) as well as 14 SpAtk and 17 Speed. Heat Wave bops Pawniard on the switch as well as Ferroseed and Cottonee. Roost is for increased longevity, Psychic is obligatory STAB, and U-turn is for Pivoting out of threatening mons.
Importable
Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ground

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Knock Off

Sandile @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 100 Atk 156 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Snivy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 156 HP / 240 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast

Natu @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Psychic
- U-turn

Threatlist

Fighting types in general are decently scary to this team because it doesn't have a sturdy Poison or Fairy type to lean on, but the most threatening of them all by far is Scraggy. My only real 'check' to the little hooligan is Croagunk, who not only is bested by ZHB variants, but also doesn't hit that hard with Vacuum Wave thanks to its low BP and Scraggy's impressive bulk.

Though, I've yet to actually run into one that has given me too much trouble, on paper, Ponyta completely tears this team apart. Sunnybeam variants in particular, just kinda annihilate my entire team now that I look at it. Good thing nobody runs that set I guess, though Wild Charge is also problematic.

I feel like most of the rest of the meta can be handled pretty decently so long as you play well.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-298138621 vs OP
Game for Round 1 of the Fuck Pawn and Foo tour. Came down to the wire, but Mag was able to pull it out in the end

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-300589020 vs Yagura
This was week 1 of SPL Farm League. Yagura brought Fightspam which was really scary as I could see my checks being ovewhelmed, but Natu was able to take out the likely scarfed Mienfoo early and in the end Snivy was there to grab us the victory

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-107011 vs Slurmz
This one was for the 2nd round of Fuck Pawn and Foo. In this game Scraggy was making me shit myself the entire game because I knew that I let it set up, the game was over. Eventually though, with a bit of help from the RNG, not anything too major I don't think, Snivy was once again able to secure the win.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-305975556 vs ggggd

The final replay of this team I have saved, and can still access, (seriously is annoying how you can't find older replays after a while) was this game for week 3 of Farm league. I end up losing this game, but honestly I'm gonna put this loss on me playing poorly and my opponent playing better by capitalizing on my mistakes rather than it being the fault of the team itself.

Edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-311149716 vs Madoka
Thought I'd might as well post this replay from my LC Tour Playoffs series vs Madoka, where Snivy proves its worth yet again, picking up 3 kills thanks to the Glare. Also Sandile put in some work showing off why Taunt kicks ass and taking out both Goldeen and Carvahna. I'm not gonna lie, I kinda haxed Madoka to death in this one between Glare being Glare and multiple speed tie wins for yours truly. Not like she needed another spot in the Invite tour anyway though

Conclusion

So that's it. That was Day at the Beach. I sincerely hope you enjoying reading and I look forward to y'alls rates.
-Joltage
Day at the Beach

Shoutout to the LC Regulars and the rest of the Community. Even though I'm only like half a part of the community, y'all seem to be pretty cool people and I respect each and everyone of you as a battler. If any of y'all ever wanna test or build or something, feel free to ask me, cause I'll likely be down.
Also Happy New Year, I guess. It's the 29th, but that's close enough.

Oh yeah, this is the Aerow set for Omanyte, if you didn't know:
Omanyte @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 116 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpA / 156 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rock Blast
- Earth Power/Ice Beam
- Shell Smash

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm on phone but I feel the need to say you're my favorite person I don't talk to regularly. You should get a Skype if you're interested in joining the conversation and lc memery.

Additional the only real suggestion I can give to you is Hidden Power Flying on Natu over Psychic in order to 2HKO scraggy but this is notably worse versus other Fighting types so I wouldn't really be too keen on this. You'd also have to tweak your EVs which might negatively affect Natu's ability to function. So probably not worth it unless you really want to barely handle scraggy. Cheers!

edit: Talked to Levi a bit about your team--Brave Nature on Croagunk would be useful to OHKO Gothita after Stealth Rocks with Vacuum Wave into Sucker Punch. Additionally, if you're running Pursuit Sandile, Impish nature is much better on Shellder as you can Pursuit trap Fletchling for Shellder and you do not need the guaranteed OHKO on Fletchling after a single SR switch in. Every other roll is the same, so only this is truly relevant. Additionally, you can run Impish Nature with Stone Edge Sandile since it is a roll on Slow Fletchling and an OHKO Fast Fletchling.

You could actually go so far to run Hidden Power [Fighting] on Shellder over Ice Shard as you have a OHKO Pawniard all the time with this (you're rather Pawn weak) and kills Magnemite 11/16 of the times with just SR damage. However this means you have to run some weird EVs-- 236 Atk / 40 Def / 200 Spe and a Lax Nature covers what you want from Shellder.

Last edited:
Hi Joltage! Great to see such a good team around Sandile, it's a fun mon and it's fairly effective too.

-The team's really good but there's a noticeable weakness to Flying-types that can get around Magnemite like Overheat Fletchling, Vullaby, and Archen. Shellder kind of handles them but it either has to Shell Smash on them or it takes damage that makes it harder to smash later. To beat Flying types you should run Stone Edge>Thief on Sandile. Stone Edge 2hkoes Vullaby after Brave Bird recoil or Stealth Rock Damage and OHKOes Fletchling and Archen after Stealth Rock. Sandile's not really Knock Off bait because of it's Fighting weakness and general frailty so you'll most likely find Stone Edge more useful in general. In addition, you can run a spread of 100 Atk / 156 Def / 236 Spe with a Jolly Nature to avoid the 2hko from itemless Archen's Acrobatics. There's a power drop but the rest of your team can effectively wear down the mons Sandile needs worn down to check.

-Scraggy is a pain so you can consider running Dazzling Gleam>Heat Wave on Natu. Hidden Power Fire Snivy effectively lures Ferroseed for you and you can U-turn out of Pawniard so it's not of the utmost importance, although it's nice in most situations. Although Dazzling Gleam doesn't Ohko Scraggy unless you get a high roll, it does put it in range of Croagunk's Vacuum Wave and doesn't require Scraggy to switch in like HP Flying. Kind of situational but it does beat Scraggy!

That's all for the team really, hope the changes help and good luck with the team!

Fiend and Oma, thank you both for your rates. I really appreciate the input. I've decided to implement some of the suggestions, and will be updating the OP with the changes shortly.

Suggestions I am Implementing:

Brave over Quiet on Gunk - I've decided to implement this suggestion by Fiend because I really like the idea that I'll have the ability to take out Goth with V-Wave + Sucker after rocks. Gunk is often my primary check to many of the mons that Goth is paired with, so the potential to not just lose my Croagunk is attractive to say the least.

Stone Edge over Thief and the change in EVs for Sandile - I thought Oma's suggestion here made too much sense to not go with them. As it stands, Overheat Fletch is annoying to say the least (not sure why I didn't put it in my threatlist tbh) so having some other way to check it is nice.

Suggestions I'm not Implementing:

HP Flying over Psychic on Natu - As much as Scraggy is a pain, Psychic is just so much stronger than any potential flying STAB and really is necessary when dealing with the other fighters.

Dazzling Gleam over Heat Wave on Natu - This is definitely a solid suggestion to help deal with Scraggy, but honestly I really just like Heat Wave on Natu and I'm a bit reluctant to switch it out. I might end up trying this one out at some point in the future, especially if Scraggy randomly jumps up in usage, but at the moment, I think I'd rather just accept the weakness and try to play around Scraggy when I see it.

HP Fight over Ice Shard on Shellder - Again a solid suggestion, Pawn can certainly be annoying, but like with Natu, I'm quite reluctant to give up a move as useful as Ice Shard. I may try this one out just to see if it does end up working for me, but at the moment I'm not gonna officially change it.

Thanks again for the rates, guys!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey whats up dude, your team is pretty cool, coconut thinks it not a terrible team so it must be good

My first suggestion to you is to run Snubbull over Natu. You don't really need Natu at all considering none of your team is weak to Stealth Rock. I think Snubbul would deifnitely help with beating Fighting-types, which right now your team kinda gets bopped by. You don't really need to beat Foongus, since you can fuck with it with Croagunk and Shellder. Fire Punch on Snubbulll helps to beat things like Ferroseed and Foongus. You also appreciate the ability to soft check things like Drilbur, which your team can struggle with. Natu doesn;'t really provide much since you don't really NEED the U-turn as much and naut really struggles with providing offensive prescence. Sticky Web isn't all that threatening to your team with Snivy and priority in Shelld3r and croagunk so i really think that Snubull is the best option for you.

hey change ur signature your avatar for craogunk are two different things and it bothers me a bit

Hey ThatCrazyRussian, I really appreciate the rate. Like I said in the RMT, I really, really like Natu, so I'm not super keen on replacing it. That said, your suggestion makes a lot of sense so I'll definitely have try it out. I happen to like Snubbs, I use it on a good 70-80% of my offensive teams, but there's just something about it that makes my reluctant to put it on this one. Not sure what it is though. Could be the fact that Natu really works a lot better with the team aesthetically, but that's a really bad reason so I need to think of a better reason than that. Either way I'll try it out and see if I end up liking it better. Thanks again for the rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)