SV OU Dealing with Goldfish

With the new game comes new pokemon. Some great, some horrifying. Some come in the form of a tiny fish using glasses and frying you with Overheat that OHKO resistances in sun. Anyway, this is my first time posting so be kind to me, please.

Meet the Team

Ceruledge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bitter Blade
- Bulk Up
- Flame Charge
- Shadow Sneak

Arguably the best-looking pokemon of the SV. The reason I use this thing is because of the surprise factor of Flash Fire. With everyone running Weak Armour, I can switch into an Overheat and counter from there. If the damn fish wants pulse (assuming it's not scarf/specs), I can tera into fairy type and use Flame Charge to get +1. Shadow Sneak for priority and other ghosts and psychics. After that, the same old setup and sweep. I also use boots so I don't have to hassle with hazards.

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Ruination
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

What can bait the damn fire fish? This thing can. Other than that it also acts as a special wall for the team as well as the rocker. With Ruination it can damage high hp opponents like other Ting-Lus and Dondozos. EQ for damage and whirlwind to deal with pesky setup mons. - SpD nature so I can outspeed other mons in Trick Room. After all, it's not like this thing is fast. Tera Type is just dark because I never used it with this mon.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Tera Blast
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp

The scarfer of the team. Deals with any mons that use Substitude (looking at you bicycle). Tera ghost so I can hit the ostrich behind a sub. Not much to say really. U-Turn for momentum and Will-O-Wisp for crippling Dragonites and Annihilapes.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Toxic

Here to deal with setup sweepers and my way to deal with Toxic Spikes. Spore and Toxic for status against bulky mons. Not sure on how to use him, maybe replace this shroom?

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Recover
- Salt Cure
- Block

Best mon in the game? Not much to be said about the absolute wall. Deals with Gholdengo and steels & waters. Tera water for defensive purposes. I use Block so I can prevent switching on mons and switch to Ceruledge to set up.

Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Close Combat

This and Garchomp are the best leads in the game. I use spin and knock here as I don't really feel the need for 2 rockers. EQ and CC for cover.

Weakness
After playing (losing) some games, I felt something in this team doesn't mesh.
1. This team is full of physical attackers. I feel I can't breakthrough Rocky Helmet users and stuff like Dondozo.
2. This team doesn't really have a winning condition outside of Ceruledge, and the opponent doesn't always have a fire move to boost it.

All in all, this is my first analysis of my team.
Please critique and fix this thing for me.

P.S. I don't really want to replace Ceruldege, anything else is fine.

I don’t know much about gen 9, however I can see a few ways you could improve your team. To begin with, both Ting-Lu and Amoonguss are special walls. If you changed your Ting Lu to a physical wall, it would free up the space Garganacl takes up, which I feel is not an essential teammate. For a replacement, you should add something that offensively complements your Ceruledge. I would suggest either a Rotom Wash for a useful defensive pivot and Electric attacker to kill Dondozo, or Iron Valiant for a more offensive approach.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off

As for Ceruledge, I think it could use a better moveset to optimize its offensive potential.

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Bitter Blade

I also think your Amoonguss and Dragapult need a change in movesets to take care of the hole I put in your special defense and the original lack of special offense.

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Water/Ground
EVs: 216 HP / 28 Atk / 176 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Clear Smog

Assault Vest Amoonguss is much better at tanking special hits.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Choice Specs Dragapult makes for a strong Special attacker, although it’s role may be redundant of Iron Valiant. Therefore, you could forgo your Dragapult for a more solid check to attackers like Chien Pao and Chi Yu. For that role, I would suggest Choice Scarf Gholdengo.

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Modest nature allows you a guaranteed OHKO against Chi Yu with Focus Blast, but you miss out on outspeeding Dragapult. Tera Fighting is probably the better option.

Here are the final two versions of the team.

Iron Valiant and Gholdengo version.

Rotom-W and Dragapult version.

Anyways, I hope this helps, I’m new to rating, so I’m not sure if this analysis did much good, but if it did, I’m glad I could help.

Thanks man
I don’t know much about gen 9, however I can see a few ways you could improve your team. To begin with, both Ting-Lu and Amoonguss are special walls. If you changed your Ting Lu to a physical wall, it would free up the space Garganacl takes up, which I feel is not an essential teammate. For a replacement, you should add something that offensively complements your Ceruledge. I would suggest either a Rotom Wash for a useful defensive pivot and Electric attacker to kill Dondozo, or Iron Valiant for a more offensive approach.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off

As for Ceruledge, I think it could use a better moveset to optimize its offensive potential.

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Bitter Blade

I also think your Amoonguss and Dragapult need a change in movesets to take care of the hole I put in your special defense and the original lack of special offense.

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Water/Ground
EVs: 216 HP / 28 Atk / 176 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Clear Smog

Assault Vest Amoonguss is much better at tanking special hits.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Choice Specs Dragapult makes for a strong Special attacker, although it’s role may be redundant of Iron Valiant. Therefore, you could forgo your Dragapult for a more solid check to attackers like Chien Pao and Chi Yu. For that role, I would suggest Choice Scarf Gholdengo.

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Modest nature allows you a guaranteed OHKO against Chi Yu with Focus Blast, but you miss out on outspeeding Dragapult. Tera Fighting is probably the better option.

Here are the final two versions of the team.

Iron Valiant and Gholdengo version.

Rotom-W and Dragapult version.

Anyways, I hope this helps, I’m new to rating, so I’m not sure if this analysis did much good, but if it did, I’m glad I could help.
Thanks, man. Gonna try this thing out a bit. Seems pretty good at first glance.

If it doesn’t help enough, you could always post one of the new versions of your team and see what a more experienced player has to say.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello,

I'll give a quick rate, in the future try to give a slightly more descriptive sentences (more details) on the purpose of the sets as well as why you chose the Pokémon, if you need some guidance you can look at sample teams or RMT of the month (Here's some from the month of November).

Threats at quick glance: I see Annihilape being an issue, specifically the rest variants. Ceruledge only has Shadow Sneak so it won't do much damage as it's bulking up, as you said before above you just have a bunch of physical attackers (that needs to change). Dondozo could be annoying if you don't Tera Type Water for Garg or Amonguss is fainted, but if you use tera on something else it becomes a big problem.

Suggestions:

Ceruledge is not FAT enough to have bulk up, Flash Fire is cool for Chi-Yu but in reality if you get overpredicted or Chi-Yu is not choiced, it becomes a short game for Ceru. Weak Armor might be the better choice here with Swords Dance because than you have the option to get double boosted and its good be your WinCon or you can use it as an anti-lead:
:ceruledge:
Ceruledge @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Bitter Blade
- Close Combat

Ting-Lu looks good the only thing I would change is going with Tera Type Fairy to not get beat by fighting moves, since Tera Type Dark is useless for this set (You have no Dark moves that actually use STAB modifier since Ruination is an set number).

Dragapult is fine as a scarfer, it outspeeds almost the entire Metagame and you can still beat Dragonite but I think here you need to go with a SpA variant because this team gets walled like I stated above by Dondozo pretty bad (especially if Amoonguss goes down). Here's the set I suggest:
:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

I honestly don't mind Amoonguss here but the set isn't ideal to deal with certain mons setting up on you so I suggest to go with Foul Play in conjunction into making this Pokémon more physically defensive. I like it's defensive purposes when it comes to defending Dondozo and other water types in general. As well as potentially beating Dragonite 1 v 1 with Foul Play, here's the set:
:amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog

Gargnacl is fine I wouldn't change anything, Block is cool. I haven't seen that, but I would say to use Salt Cure to it's fullest potential Protect might be better than Block. (Maybe go with Fairy Tera over water? better type to go with to take fighting moves)

Lastly I would say try this Corviknight set over Great Tusk since I feel like you do need a Entry Hazard Remover like Great Tusk but I think Corviknights ability to Taunt + Rocky Helmet will outspeed 0 EV investments on neutral speed Ape and bother Dondozo where it will get PP stalled.
:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Hope some of these suggestions help.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'll give a quick rate, in the future try to give a slightly more descriptive sentences (more details) on the purpose of the sets as well as why you chose the Pokémon, if you need some guidance you can look at sample teams or RMT of the month (Here's some from the month of November).

Threats at quick glance: I see Annihilape being an issue, specifically the rest variants. Ceruledge only has Shadow Sneak so it won't do much damage as it's bulking up, as you said before above you just have a bunch of physical attackers (that needs to change). Dondozo could be annoying if you don't Tera Type Water for Garg or Amonguss is fainted, but if you use tera on something else it becomes a big problem.

Suggestions:

Ceruledge is not FAT enough to have bulk up, Flash Fire is cool for Chi-Yu but in reality if you get overpredicted or Chi-Yu is not choiced, it becomes a short game for Ceru. Weak Armor might be the better choice here with Swords Dance because than you have the option to get double boosted and its good be your WinCon or you can use it as an anti-lead:
:ceruledge:
Ceruledge @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Bitter Blade
- Close Combat

Ting-Lu looks good the only thing I would change is going with Tera Type Fairy to not get beat by fighting moves, since Tera Type Dark is useless for this set (You have no Dark moves that actually use STAB modifier since Ruination is an set number).

Dragapult is fine as a scarfer, it outspeeds almost the entire Metagame and you can still beat Dragonite but I think here you need to go with a SpA variant because this team gets walled like I stated above by Dondozo pretty bad (especially if Amoonguss goes down). Here's the set I suggest:
:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

I honestly don't mind Amoonguss here but the set isn't ideal to deal with certain mons setting up on you so I suggest to go with Foul Play in conjunction into making this Pokémon more physically defensive. I like it's defensive purposes when it comes to defending Dondozo and other water types in general. As well as potentially beating Dragonite 1 v 1 with Foul Play, here's the set:
:amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog

Gargnacl is fine I wouldn't change anything, Block is cool. I haven't seen that, but I would say to use Salt Cure to it's fullest potential Protect might be better than Block. (Maybe go with Fairy Tera over water? better type to go with to take fighting moves)

Lastly I would say try this Corviknight set over Great Tusk since I feel like you do need a Entry Hazard Remover like Great Tusk but I think Corviknights ability to Taunt + Rocky Helmet will outspeed 0 EV investments on neutral speed Ape and bother Dondozo where it will get PP stalled.
:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Hope some of these suggestions help.
Thank you, off to try out your suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)