Deep Poison - Mono Poison Team (3:3)

It must suck to be drenched in Poison as it slowly eats at you doesn't it? Wouldn't it be worse if Poisonous creatures were attacking you with raw power while you had no way to defend yourself? That is what these creatures will do to to you if you get in there way. Now, as the name suggests this is a team based around an unheard type, Poison. I poison types and, while not my overall favorite type, Poison is still one of them. The aim of this team is to prove that poison types have what it takes to succeed in today's OU enviornment. As you see in the banner those are the 3 Poison types I have chosen to use. Now, I know your wondering why I have chosen these three pokemon and you will see all of that as the rating takes place but for now let me tell you the general idea of the team. With the aid of 3 wildcards the goal is to achieve an offensive team with extra support to weaken foes little by little to the point where they are all in OHKO range. Instead of talking I should be showing you the team so here it is!

The Lead

Roserade@Focus Sash
Timid
Natural Cure
252SpA / 252Spe / 6Def
Toxic Spikes/Spikes
Leaf Storm
Hidden Power [Ground]
Shadow Ball/Sleep Powder

Poison #1. Roserade is a huge part of the team for a big reason. Spikes or Toxic Spikes aid the team greatly so the decision between each one is still in the making. With Toxic Spikes it weakens walls like Blissey, Hippowdon, etc... making them switch in less and less which is a huge advantage against Stall teams. There is a downside to this though. With Toxic Spikes it can get sucked away easily. Now, I bet someones wondering thats the same with spikes cause it gets rapid spinned away. Well, the thing is all those Rapid Spinners either have Natural Cure or are Poison (Tentacruel and Starmie, 2 most common Rapid Spinners today). Now, Spikes may not be long lasting but it still does great considering the 25% damage loss every time you switch in. This can be my only source of damage like this as I do not have a Stealth Rocker on this team, yet. Leaf Storm is useful against other leads. OHKOs Hippowdon, Tyranitar, and Swampert. 2HKOs Aerodactyl, Gliscor, Machamp, Smeargle, Mamoswine and half of those have Focus Sashes. Hidden Power [Fire] is a move I am still considering due to Ground being an option as well. Fire is great for Metagross and Scizor but the fact that Metagross has an Occa Berry 90% of the time isn't looking to great adn thats the only real reason I use it as my other members handle Scizor fine. Also, I can still 2HKO with HP Ground and that includes the common Heatran lead. The last slot is up to debate but I am leaning towards Shadow Ball for those Azelf, Gengar and other leads in that area. Sleep Powder is also looking good but since they will most likely just Taunt me, or keep him in the game so I can't sleep anyone else really bothers me which is why I am leaning with Shadow Ball.

The Not So Comm....Wait Nevermind

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
248HP / 252Atk / 8Def
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Superpower
Pursuit

Theres a reason this thing is used so much and I'm not complaining. Scizor is a great asset to this team as it counters pokemon who normally counter Poison types cold. Latias is the big one as she counters my entire team. Anyway, Bullet Punch is standard on Scizor. STAB and Technician bring it to a geat 90 Power Priority move. This aids me in the fight against Salamence. Bullet Punch will always 2HKO anything not called Bulky Salamence, which is a not so common set if I may say, which can mean game or no game. U-Turn is a good way to scout out Scizors counters so I can learn to adjust and counter them on my own. Magnezone is a huge one as I can notice he's on the team then whenever I am suspecting it to come into play I can send out Gengar and OHKO with Focus Blast. Superpower is really an add on move that Scizor got to handle other Steels. It OHKOs Blissey, Lucario, Tyranitar, and many other weak defensive pokemon that I send Scizor in against. Pursuit is like a STAB move on Scizor. Going from 40 to 60 power is wonderful when it comes to trapping Psychic and Ghost pokemon. Namely, as stated before, Latias and Gengar. Gengar, while not mentioned before, now gets a handy mention since, while not as great a threat as Latias, can still do some damage to this team if it is a Choice Scarf Varient since it can revenge kill half of my team. Really not much else to say here...

The Revenger

Latias@Choice Scarf
Timid
Levitate
252SpA / 252Spe / 6Def
Draco Meteor
Surf
Thunderbolt
Trick

One of the best, if not the best, revenge killers in the game. With Powerful STAB and great bulk made it an easy choice for this team. not only that but Levitate aids in the teams slight Ground weakness as well. Draco Meteor is for a powerful STAB move and for other dragons in general. Salamence is the big one. Now, at times Scizor cannot just OHKO with Bullet Punch so this is fairly needed if I do not want to be swept like crazy. It is also useful for any kind of late game sweeping I may do. Surf gets amazing coverage alongside Draco Meteor as the only pokemon to resist both moves together is Empoleon who is not so common in todays Metagame. Surf is also used on pokemon like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Tyranitar, Rhyperior and other Ground/Rock types that think they can stay in my way. Thunderbolt is used mainly for one pokemon and one pokemon alone. Gyarados. Latias is my one and only Gyarados counter unless you count my Gyarados which I doubt you can consider a counter. Thunderbolt may also be used on random Flyers and Waters like Vaporeon, Milotic, Skamory etc... though that is not very common as Draco Meteor does more to them anyway (Bar Skarmory) Trick is my favorite move on this set cause it screws over my most hated pokemon Blissey. I gain Leftovers, she gets a Choice Scarf, is stuck in one move and is still slow as balls. Ahh, everyone wins xD. It's also used on other random walls such as Cresselia and Snorlax.

Leviathan

Gyarados@Lum Berry/Leftovers
Jolly
Intimidate
252Atk / 168Spe / 88HP
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Taunt/Earthquake

I got pretty tired of not outrunning pokemon like Jolteon and the rare Scarf metagross so I decided to go with jolly to stay on the safe side. With Jolly I can outrun some numerous threats and maintain more Bulk. Lum Berry may seem a little off but with Thunderwave and Toxic users everywhere I figured I'd stay on the safeside. Leftovers is also useful as the HP gain is useful when I am low on health. Dragon Dance is the core of this set as its main purpose is to be a mid game stall breaker. After a Dragon Dance I outrun Timid Jolteon along with any other scarfers aiming for 395 Speed. Waterfall is self explanitory. STAB. Stone Edge hits Flyers and Dragon in particular. It gets amazing coverage alongside Waterfall with only a few pokemon resisting the combination. One of them is Breloom who, with Lum Berry, I will almost always beat as +1 Waterfall will almost always 2HKOs. Anyway, hits Dragons such as Kingdra, Salamence, and Latias. The last move is the one I am having most trouble with. Taunt is great for stall breaking on namely Skarmory so I won't get Whirlwinded. It also aids with CroCune as it destroys the entire set and Thunderwavers. This is the one reason I would not use Lum Berry. Earthquake just aids in my coverage against random Steels, mainly Metagross and Jirachi. Gyarados seems to be doing the least amount for the team so if there are any suggestions I will gladly take them.

The Ghost Hunter

Gengar@Life Orb
Timid
Levitate
252SpA / 184Spe / 72Def
Protect
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hidden Power [Fire]

Ahh, when the County becomes the Counter. This set is aimed to not only sweep but counter any Scizor that try to fake it out. 184 Speed outruns 192 Speed Naive Infernape and, with Spike Support, OHKOs it as well (With Shadow Ball). Protect is the key move here. Heres how it works. They send in Scizor and I protect to see whether they Bullet Punch, Pursuit, or U-Turn and do whatever goes with that move. If they Bullet Punch I will switch out to Gyarados. If they Pursuit I OHKO them with Hidden Power Fire. Same goes for U-Turn. Pretty simple. Shadow Ball is primary STAB. 2HKOs Cresselia and Dusknoir which can be useful. It also OHKOs other Gengar, and Azelf that think they can switch in on me. Focus Blast is mainly for Tyranitar users. It will always OHKO any non bulky Varient which is plus. It is also used to 3HKO Blissey, OHKO any other flimsey Dark type and 2HKOs random Rocks like Rhyperior and Regirock that switch in. Hidden power Fire, as said, is mainly for Scizor but can also be used if I do not want to risk Focus Blasts risky accuracy against other Steels. Not much else to say here except this set is highly underestimated and before you suggest changing it I want you to test it for yourself.

The Poison Dart Frog

Toxicroak@Life Orb
Adamant
Dry Skin
32HP / 252Atk / 224Spe
Swords Dance
Poison Jab
Sucker Punch
Cross Chop/Brick Break/Stone Edge

Arguably my favorite Poison type. This set can wreak havoc if used right and thats what the entire team is planning on doing for him. Swords Dance is obvious. It boosts it's Attack Sky High. poison Jab is a useful STAB move since, after Swords Dance, it 2HKOs every water pokemon in the game including Suicune. Poison Jab also has its uses against random walls that like to switch in that aren't steel. Sucker Punch is a Priority move Toxicroak was blessed with. It OHKOs any non bulky Psychic and Ghost in the game. Not only that it OHKOs Salamence after a Swords Dance and Intimidate (With slight prior damage needed beforehand). The last move I cannot decide on. Cross Chop is useful if I want a powerful finisher against someone that Poison Jab may not be able to finish off. It also helps with Steels but the accuracy is a letdown as I have missed some very important KOs because of accuracy. Brick Break lets me have the accuracy and the ability to attack Steels but it loses alot of power as well turning many OHKOs into 2HKOs. Stone Edge is really only needed if someone like Gyarados gets in my way. This set I need a little help on but it has proven itself on numerous occasions.

Final Glance

Theres the team. As you can see it still has its flaws but I am sure with the right rates I can get past these problems

NOTE: This is a 3:3 Poison team. This means 3 Poisons and 3 Wildcards. Please try and remember that when rating.

Thanks​

Seems pretty solid, but there's one pokemon that takes on your entire team: MixVire running EQ instead of Cross Chop.

Roserade: Ice Punch'd.
Scizor: Flamethrown.
Latias: Ice Punch'd twice.
Gyarados: Thunderbolted (or punch'd, it really doesn't matter)
Gengar: Well played...
Toxicroak: Earthquake'd.

Well, it's a team-wide threat because and Electivire probably won't try his luck out on a Gengar. Meaning, you'll have to switch Gengar into a Tbolt/Ice Punch, thus getting KO'd the next turn (the best Gengar can do is 2HKO with Shadow Ball or even Focus Blast; doesn't matter, they both 2HKO only). But it's nothing to be afraid of, I just see 1 pokemon with 1 specific set that can possibly get through most of your team. It would suck if you Tbolted him with Latias on switch, though. I suggest you be careful with that one. But, then again, no one uses Electivire ( =(( ), so I wouldn't worry about him too much, just a word of caution.

Again, solid team, it looks like it could work. Also, I suggest Stone Edge on Toxicroak since this is OU battling. Cross Chop won't help so greatly, especially with its shaky accuracy in the cases that it does.

Again, solid team, it looks like it could work. Also, I suggest Stone Edge on Toxicroak since this is OU battling. Cross Chop won't help so greatly, especially with its shaky accuracy in the cases that it does.
Cross Chop has the same accuracy as Stone edge.

Other than that, this isn't really Mono-poison. I've had teams with three steels, but they aren't mono either. Wild card is acceptable, but half of team?

If Latias is dead, Magnezone can defeat all but Roserade who is weakened quite heavily by switching into base 130 SpA STAB Thunderbolts. Same goes to ScarfTran, but that is better case since Gyarados can handle it quite well as long as it doesn't carry HPElectric.

*Sigh* I know that. What I was getting at was since it's an OU team, Stone Edge is more useful than Cross Chop, despite the STAB. The accuracy bit was kind of redundant I see now, but it wasn't my main point.

I think you should change a member of your team to a Tyranitar to take advantage of the psychic pokemon going for your poison pokes. Although it would probably worsen that Electrivire problem it would help against Heatran and Magnezone.

Seems pretty solid, but there's one pokemon that takes on your entire team: MixVire running EQ instead of Cross Chop.

Roserade: Ice Punch'd.
Scizor: Flamethrown.
Latias: Ice Punch'd twice.
Gyarados: Thunderbolted (or punch'd, it really doesn't matter)
Gengar: Well played...
Toxicroak: Earthquake'd.

Well, it's a team-wide threat because and Electivire probably won't try his luck out on a Gengar. Meaning, you'll have to switch Gengar into a Tbolt/Ice Punch, thus getting KO'd the next turn (the best Gengar can do is 2HKO with Shadow Ball or even Focus Blast; doesn't matter, they both 2HKO only). But it's nothing to be afraid of, I just see 1 pokemon with 1 specific set that can possibly get through most of your team. It would suck if you Tbolted him with Latias on switch, though. I suggest you be careful with that one. But, then again, no one uses Electivire ( =(( ), so I wouldn't worry about him too much, just a word of caution.

The fact that Electivire is never in stndard play anymore (When I say that I mean it is seen rarely) I am not worried as I am sure I can revenge with Sucker Punch, Bullet Punch, or my Scarfed Latias

Other than that, this isn't really Mono-poison. I've had teams with three steels, but they aren't mono either. Wild card is acceptable, but half of team?

If Latias is dead, Magnezone can defeat all but Roserade who is weakened quite heavily by switching into base 130 SpA STAB Thunderbolts. Same goes to ScarfTran, but that is better case since Gyarados can handle it quite well as long as it doesn't carry HPElectric.
Alright well first this is mainly for a league (No not Official Serebii League if that is what some people are thinking) and the rules are 3:3. Secondly Magnezone will generally use HP Fire on Scizor which is when I'll send in Gyarados to Dragon Dance on the switch and sweep.

I think you should change a member of your team to a Tyranitar to take advantage of the psychic pokemon going for your poison pokes. Although it would probably worsen that Electrivire problem it would help against Heatran and Magnezone.
Scizor counters Psychic pokemon.

Heatran is counterned by Gyarados for the most part and Latias and Magnezone I've never had a problem with

Looks great, you might want to throw in Weezing for bulk and not to mention Levitate.

Also, your team technically isn't mono-Poison since not every member is Poison-type.

-Terywj

i think you should be running EQ on Gyara, Taunt screws walls and BP teams, but BP teams will already be screwed by Latias.

3:3 Mono Poison isn't really Mono Poison. Maybe 5:1 or 4:2. Might as well change the title since people will probably flame you.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i think you should be running EQ on Gyara, Taunt screws walls and BP teams, but BP teams will already be screwed by Latias.

3:3 Mono Poison isn't really Mono Poison. Maybe 5:1 or 4:2. Might as well change the title since people will probably flame you.
Earthquake on Gyarados provides redudant coverage since it hits almost all the same types as Waterfall. Additionally, Latias does nothing to screw Baton Pass since all good Baton Pass teams use Subtitute to prevent Trick from working. Taunt can hinder BP Chain to a degree and shut down walls. Taunt is 100% superior to Earthquake.

The fact that Electivire is never in stndard play anymore (When I say that I mean it is seen rarely) I am not worried as I am sure I can revenge with Sucker Punch, Bullet Punch, or my Scarfed Latias
Sucker Punch is the only thing that will take out Electivire. Too bad it won't OHKO while he does to you. Scarf Latias is just faster, and Electivire's base 95 SPD lets him survive a Draco Meteor, even. You will win the matchup if it is after a pokemon of yours got pwned. Bullet Punch does x0.5 dmg; Electivire's resistant to Steel.

Secondly Magnezone will generally use HP Fire on Scizor which is when I'll send in Gyarados to Dragon Dance on the switch and sweep.
How do you switch out of Magnet Pull with Scizor w/o Shed Shell?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)