Defensive + JoltGon core

Hi everyone! Here's a look at the team I've been using the most in RU. I didn't really battle too much in RU until I made this team, and it's been one of the best teams I've ever made. This team is mostly made of Pokemon that were tiered higher in generations past. If I recall correctly, this team has only lost once, and I apologize for not having any replays to showcase them better, but I hope you like what you see here regardless.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch

Half of the core in the title of this thread, Jolteon makes for a great pivot on this team. The combination of the Timid nature with Jolteon's already quick speed and the Choice Specs allows for Jolteon to get some pretty decent Volt Switches off, which can gain some momentum for the rest of the team. As for the other moves, Thunderbolt is there for a stronger STAB in case I feel like Jolteon can get a kill, and Signal Beam and Shadow Ball are there to deal damage to other foes, such as opposing Grass types that resist the Electric moves. I know some people tend to run HP Ice or Grass in place of Shadow Ball, but I feel that this team has enough coverage against the types those two HPs are good against.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- U-turn
- Defog

The other half of the aforementioned core, Flygon is the main momentum-gainer of the team. Being the fastest Pokemon on the team thanks to the Choice Scarf, I usually scout lead with Flygon, just to see what the opponent will throw out there. If the matchup doesn't seem favorable to Flygon, he just U-Turns out into something that can handle the opposing Pokemon better. Defog is useful for giving the rest of my team free switches. Also, Flygon forms a VoltTurn core with Jolteon because if Jolteon feels threatened, except against a Ground type, he can potentially Volt Switch into Flygon, who can handle a lot of the threats to Jolteon, namely Tyrantrum.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest

Oh man, this thing right here. Scrafty fits in with this team so well. I know the Bulk Up/Rest set isn't typically preferred on this Pokemon, but I've been able to find success with it over time. Of course, with the existence of Aromatisse, Togetic, and some other foes with Fairy attacks, I would have to make sure Scrafty can safely switch in before setting up some Bulk Ups. Once he's safely in and can safely set up, he proceeds to wreck things. Drain Punch and Knock Off are the attacks, with DP providing sustain, and KO disrupting the opponent. And Rest is more reliable recovery for Scrafty because of the Shed Skin.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

Amoonguss is a Pokemon I've had success with in the past, and he works on this team pretty well. The EV spread and Bold nature even out Amoonguss's defenses, which is something I typically like to do with my defensive Pokemon if I can. Amoonguss's main niche is disrupting the foe with Spore and Clear Smog, which put things to sleep and remove stat boosts, respectively. The combination of Giga Drain, Regenerator, and the Black Sludge led me to choose Foul Play for the last moveslot. Instead of removing a physical attackers boosts, Amoonguss can also choose to use those attack boosts to his advantage with Foul Play, which can really catch some Pokemon off guard.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Payback

At about the time I added Bronzong to the team, I was looking to add a Stealth Rocker and a Steel type to the team, and Bronzong seemed like an ideal choice. As with Amoonguss, his EV spread and nature even out his defenses, with the 0 Speed IV powering up Gyro Ball. It's a pretty common set for a non-screen and non-Trick Room Bronzong, until you look at the last slot. I know most people tend to run Earthquake in that last slot, but Bronzong doesn't have a lot for offense anyways. Payback was an interesting idea because people don't expect it on a Bronzong (or anything for that matter), and if Bronzong can survive a Ghost or Dark attack (from a Ghost or Psychic type), then Payback will double in power and deal decent damage.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

A bulky water is always a nice thing to have, and Jellicent is one of the better ones in the tier. Breaking my own stereotype, Jellicent is primarily a Special Wall, but he can burn things with Scald and Will-O-Wisp. Scald is the only damaging attack, and it can burn things just in case he gets Taunted. Will-O-Wisp is the main burning attack in case I feel that a foe needs to be burned quickly. Taunt is on his set to disrupt other stallers, and Recover gives Jellicent sustain. I also went with Cursed Body for the ability because I really enjoy disrupting foes, and disabling a move of theirs is fun.

And there you have it. I've been really happy with this team, and I have next to no complaints with it. Hope you enjoyed!

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- U-turn
- Defog

Scrafty @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Payback

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pretty solid team. I'd say one thing I see that can use a change is the scrafty set. Bulk Up isn't really too great in the meta and is outclassed by gurdurr and other fighting types.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

This is a set that's more affective in this metagame and fits well on your team.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi burnanator9, nice team you've got there, but i'd like to give you some suggestions. On Jolteon running Hidden Power Water over Shadow Ball would be really helpful, Shadow Ball doesn't really hit nothing, and HP Water help you deal with ground types such as Steelix and Camerup who can stop your momentum blocking Volt Swich. Something that can work for your team is running Scarf Delphox over Flygon, Delphox fullfils the same role you wanted give Flygon, but it can beat grass type and MSteelix (it can't switch safely on it tho), some good Jolteon checks. Since yout ground weakness is a problem now i suggest you to run Assault Vest Tangrowth over Amoonguss, they can check the same threats, but Tangrowth lacks Sleep Powder because of the AV, but on the other hand you get a better pivot that has both offensive and defensive presence. On Bronzong something you could try is Earthquake over Payback, this will allow you to deal damage to fire types on the switchin, especially to houndoom that looks a threat to the team (this is not mandatory, you can keep payback if you want). Another option can be Colbur Berry over Leftovers on Jellicent, this would let you beat Houndoom in a 1v1 scenario, but it would remove the passive recovery of Leftovers, that can be helpful in some situation.

I hope this rate was useful n__n!

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Grass Knot / Switcheroo

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb / Ancient Power

evs are for outspeed 44 speed jellicent

ss234

bop.
jolteon / flygon / amoonguss / bronzong / jellicent / scrafty

This seems like a pretty solid balanced team. Bronzong + jelli + amoong + flygon covers a lot of the metagame bar sigilyph. The former seems like a pretty tricky issue but you can play around it with scrafty and specs jolteon. The main issue is breaking down stall cores though, since in specs jolteon and scarf flygon has two solid win conditions vs. offense but you lack a genuine wallbreaker (jellicent is not enough). I recommend trying out a shed skin DD scrafty with a roseli berry. This allows scrafty to break down most defensive cores since it beats aromatisse and togetic at +1.

With this change in place, I'd try running alomomola over jellicent. With an offensive spread on scrafty it can no longer reliably check sneasel so this becomes a large weakness. Jellicent has very little over alomomola in this metagame apart from the ability to disrupt stall teams but a roseli scrafty helps more in the stall matchup. Mola provides wish support for the likes of bronzong making it easier to check threats such as flygon, tyrantrum and meloetta continually but retains the ability to counter the key pkmn that jellicent also dealt with - emboar, rhyperior and to an extent durant (both lose to thunder fang variants however but you do have bronzong and a specs jolteon to check ant). The set would be the standard on site one, and I'd go with 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SpD with a Bold nature since that helps out more against Sneasel, Durant and Emboar.

As for smaller changes, I'd run jolly on flygon since that allows you to outspeed a +2 scrafty. This gives you a nice backup plan if amoonguss is out. I'd also run the onsite 160 defence as this allows you to take 2 hitmonlee hjks. Without jellicent this becomes a bigger issue and although hitmonlee isn't that great or popular right now it can still be a threatening pkmn. Running HP Ice or hp water over shadow ball on jolteon is a good idea since this allows you to either catch out flygon or steelix / camerupt. You're going to be using tbolt or vswitch mostly anyway but it seems useful to be able to actually threaten ground types instead of just easily allow free switchins.

Changes:
Adamant --> Jolly on Flygon
Shadow Ball --> HP Ice / Water on Jolteon
Bulk Up Scrafty --> Offensive DD with Roseli Berry
Jellicent --> Alomomola
Hope I helped and GL with the team.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies! I really just posted this team to show them off for fun, wasn't really looking for anything new, just because I'm stubborn. At the same time, I do feel the need to justify my stubbornness, so here's why I don't want to change to what you guys suggested (even though they are all good suggestions).

Natural Talent said:
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
I actually really like this set, looks like it has the right amount of coverage. Sorry if this makes me sound a bit noobish, but I don't feel like Scrafty has the natural speed to fulfill the role of a general sweeper. This is why I run the BU set, because it takes advantage of Scrafty's natural bulk without having to worry so much about its Speed.

fran17 said:
Something that can work for your team is running Scarf Delphox over Flygon, Delphox fullfils the same role you wanted give Flygon
The Delphox set does look good, but in no way does it even remotely resemble the same roles I give to Flygon. I use Flygon primarily as a scout lead that U-turns out to gain momentum (and is also part of the VoltTurn core I have in the title of the thread). Delphox has no form of VoltTurn, so it would not be used in the same way I use Flygon. Also, Flygon gets Defog to remove hazards and give the rest of the team free switches, Delphox does not.

fran17 said:
Assault Vest Tangrowth over Amoonguss
It would be a good set if I did run the Delphox over Flygon, but with the rest of this team, that leaves Jellicent as my lone Fighting check. From what I've noticed, Fighting type Pokemon and moves are relatively common, and I like having the insurance that I can switch in on Fighting types without too much difficulty.

ss234 said:
Adamant --> Jolly on Flygon
Shadow Ball --> HP Ice / Water on Jolteon
Bulk Up Scrafty --> Offensive DD with Roseli Berry
Jellicent --> Alomomola
Interesting ideas, to say the least.
As for Flygon: with my Choice users, I generally like to give them the nature that doesn't boost what the choice item boosts (i.e. Timid Specs Jolteon and Adamant Scarf Flygon).
Jolteon: Shadow Ball to HP Ice or Water (also suggested by fran17) would be the most likely thing to change up, one that I'd actually be likely to implement, so maybe I'll actually do that one.
Scrafty: see above response to Natural Talent.
Jellicent --> Alo: I'll make the same argument here that I made for Amoonguss above, in that losing Jellicent would make Amoonguss my lone Fighting check. But tbh, I see the worth of Alo on this team, as I actually really like it. It could form a Regenerator core with Amoonguss, and it could sponge up more physical hits than Jellicent could.

Again, these are all good suggestions, but I've been doing too well with the team as is and I'm too stubborn, so I don't really feel the need to change anything (except giving Jolteon a Hidden Power).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)