Defensive Team is Defensive

Hello there, everyone! My name is TJ, more commonly known as IbanezObsession from YouTube. This is my first RMT, and I hope I do well at it.

The Team:

Armaldo, being one of the only pokes in NU that can set up hazards and Rapid Spin, is a very handy Pokémon to have on any team, and that's why I have him on mine. It comes as a surprise attacker, having an astounding 383 Attack at max. A wall can come in and try to stop it, but the opponent will be surprised when they see how much a Stone Edge will do to a Miltank, for instance.

Armaldo (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge

Having two possible leads (Armaldo and this) is very useful, especially when the opponent expects this Scolipede to be running the Focus Sash hazards set when used as a lead. Choice Band Scolipede can put a dent in any Pokemon that decides to come in on it. Even though Scolipede is very fast to begin with, it's always better to run speed over attack, as being 2 points slower than another Poke because you ran Adamant will cost you the match. Any NU wall (especially Exeggutor and Tropius because of the weakness) will get wrecked by the STAB Poison Jab. The only obvious counter to Scolipede is Weezing, as its physical defense is massive, and resists both of Scolipede's STABs.

Scolipede (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

The most annoying set for a decently fast ghost type to run is Sub-Disable. With Rotom in RU, I figured I'd try Haunter, and it works pretty dang well. The best way to use it is to sub on the opponent switching into a choice user (more than likely a scarfed one to outspeed Haunter), disabling the move they lock themselves into, and being able to Will-o-Wisp on the switch to a possible wall, getting residual damage every turn. But it doesn't stop there, as its only attacking move (Sludge Bomb) can do a pretty darn good chunk to any Pokemon that isn't specially defensive.

Haunter (M) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp

In my opinion, Lapras is the best special wall in NU, packing a whopping 464 HP and 317 Special Defense. Water Absorb and Heal Bell will allow it to stall Alomomola with ease, and since it doesn't have Wish, I figured Heal Bell was the best option. A Scarfed Magmortar with Modest can't even 2HKO this massive beast with Fire Blast, and considering Magmortar is extremely popular in NU as a special attacker, Lapras is the best thing to take it on. The only sad thing is it doesn't get Scald, but Surf is still usable to take on special attackers that try and take on Lapras.

Lapras (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Surf
- Rest

Ah, Weezing, the well-known physical wall. The ability to take a banded Waterfall from Adaptability Basculin and still have 47% of its health left makes Weezing the ultimate physical wall, not to mention it only has one weakness: Psychic, which can easily be taken on by Lapras. I have found Lapras and Weezing to be one of the best defensive cores in NU, as they can take attacks like they're nothing, no questions asked. Again, it doesn't get a very viable recovery move, so Rest will have to settle for recovery. Clear Smog takes care of the nasty Smash n' Passers that try to wreck teams, while Fire Blast is a great move to have since Weezing packs it in the first place. Will-o-Wisp is obvious, just to tick off physical attackers even more, by not even being able to do 25% with a banded Adaptability Waterfall from Basculin.

Weezing (M) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Clear Smog
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

I've seen this guy on about 95% of the NU PO matches that I have, and it makes sense why: it's pretty darn good. Fire Blast is that big STAB move that any non-special wall will fear, and with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass in the mix, it has near perfect coverage. Although, I haven't seen much use for Mach Punch yet (except for one battle), but I personally have horrible luck with Focus Blast misses, and honestly would not like to lose because of hax, meaning if I don't kill with Mach Punch, it's fair game.

Magmortar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Mach Punch

Possible Counters and Final Thoughts

Every team has its weaknesses, and I've noticed that I am extremely weak to Rock-types and Psychic-types. Relicanth could just about smash its way through my team if it weren't for Magmortar, and if Magmortar's dead, I'm in for a beating. The only Pokémon that can really take it on is Weezing (if the opponent has a physical Rock-type, which is pretty common). Kadabra can also wreck my team if it's scarfed, as I have nothing to outspeed it. I am considering replacing Lapras with Lickilicky because it gets Wish and Heal Bell, giving it more reliable recovery, and its fighting weakness will be covered by Weezing. But, again, Weezing and Magmortar aside, my team would get wrecked by Rock-types. Although, I've only lost once on Wi-Fi after 10 battles (and that was due to crit hax), but some were pretty close (one was 10 HP away from a loss), so I don't really know what to say other than thank you for viewing my RMT, and please give any ideas on how to improve it. See you all later. Bye.

I was thinking of building a team around armaldo and that massive attack you mention makes it look even better. as for switching out for lickylicky i wouldnt because then literally the entire team could easily be killed by a earthquaker with good resistance and lapras is alittle more versitle.

Wagwan Ibanez, nice team you got here. As you know I'm not an NU player but let me try and rate as best I can:

As you have already stated you struggle with rock type attacks, might I suggest a physically defensive/Curse Quagsire instead of Weezing it's ability Unaware will act as a permanent Clear Smog. It will also give you a reliable switch in to Klinklang as after a Shift Gear it can pretty much sweep your team as most will carry Sub to block Will-O-Wisp.

Also why aren't you running Vital Spirit Magmortar!? This will act as a great switch in to Sleep inducers such as Smeargle/Tangela/Parasect etc.
Though I would still advise Focus Blast > Mach Punch since it really isn't doing much unless you can give me situations and clacs for it.

I'd agree with your suggestion Lickilicky > Lapras. Though if you do decide to keep Lapras and want something to deal with Kadabra as I assume this is your most common switch in, Run a Careful nature, Waterfall > Surf and Toxic/Ice Shard > Rest.

Rest is not a reliable recovery move and having your Cleric asleep; in most causes will become a liability. Toxic is to deal with bulky waters such as Alomomola http://www.smogon.com/forums/../bw/pokemon/alomomolacould give your team a lot of trouble or Ice shard will give your team some nice priority.

Haunter with Will-O-Wisp seems rather out of place, especially with the EV's you're running, may I suggest Shadow Ball > Will-O-Wisp & HP Fighting > Sludge Bomb for unresisted coverage.

Since Magic Guard Kadabra is out, Choiced sets are rather obsolete and inferior so you shouldn't have to worry too much but I may be wrong lol

GL with your team man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)